It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Shuster LIVE is about to die next year?  (Read 5236 times)

Offline papakota

• Banned Member
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
Shuster LIVE is about to die next year?
« on: December 03, 2016, 07:19:54 PM »
So much for freedom in Ukraine. On Dec. 02 Savik Shuster publicly announced that most likely on Jan. 1, 2017 his 3S TV channel will stop broadcasting. Though in the beginning he mentioned financial difficulties, then at about minute 7 from the start of the show, he said in Russian literally this:

"At that moment we realized that we wouldn't come to terms ("wouldn't find a common language" is a verbatim translation) with those in power and the oligarchs.... I personally don't believe in a public TV, sponsored by the government. ESPECIALLY in TODAY'S Ukraine. 'cos those in power who control the budget and thus in fact they often control the content being broadcasted by the channel."

Boethius wrote in post # 147 in "Language, Culture and other issues" thread:
"Shuster could never work in government controlled Russian media.  In Ukraine, he is free to criticize the government and society as much as he wishes."

And pigs fly. In the end Ukraine is gonna be without freedom and the money. Then we gonna see a third Maidan. Political circus.

As for Boethius, what else you'd expect from someone who promotes the language she doesn't even know. She reminds me of Zionist Jews in the US who never come to live in Israel.

Looks like Shuster in the end will run away from Ukrainian nationalists faster than from Putin. Won't surprise me, since I share his values, at least most of them.

After minute 10 he added:
"They (the government) initiate bogus legal prosecutions against us, they have started criminal proceedings against me, they revoked my Employment Authorization (later it was restored due to public pressure) and thus my right of residence. Then who will want to invest in this channel".

Yuliya Timoshenko, the symbol of freedom in Ukraine started talking at around 02:08 in the show and literally said  that all other channels in Ukraine simply bs the public. Verbatim she said that there's a need to unzombify the Ukrainian society (unzombify means unbrainwash).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 08:03:04 PM by papakota »

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Re: Shuster LIVE is about to die next year?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 09:53:36 PM »
Shuster Live went off the air last year, too.

The program was a "project" of the Yushchenko era, with the former president and his wife big fans.

Shuster wants to start his own television network, that's what this is about.  He is asking for funding from the public to "protect" them.  My better half laughed out loud at that.

As for my language, 100% Ukrainian fluency, one of my native tongues.  Probably better than anyone posting here.  My Russian used to be near native fluency, but I don't use it much now so while I still read and understand well, I don't speak fluently anymore, and it's not particularly important to me.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline papakota

• Banned Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 06:06:04 PM »
Shuster Live went off the air last year, too.

The program was a "project" of the Yushchenko era, with the former president and his wife big fans.

Shuster wants to start his own television network, that's what this is about.  He is asking for funding from the public to "protect" them.  My better half laughed out loud at that.

As for my language, 100% Ukrainian fluency, one of my native tongues.  Probably better than anyone posting here.  My Russian used to be near native fluency, but I don't use it much now so while I still read and understand well, I don't speak fluently anymore, and it's not particularly important to me.
a.) He asked from businesses and not from people. He asked people NOT to send him any money;
b.) Did they say what I said they did or they did not? Simple question. Everything else is just your personal opinion, nothing else. They didn't hire you as their attorney.
c.) I haven't met anyone who's fluent in a language, in which they can't distinguish between a word "town" and a word "place". Anyhow, your Russian must be good enough to know what exactly Shuster said. And Timoshenko spoke in Ukrainian.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 08:16:29 PM »
On his facebook page, he did ask people to make donations, in a 5 minute or so video (now taken down).  He also said he has $1 million and his expenses are $250,000.

My better half laughed at his request for "protection" and that he was asking for funds from individuals, given Ukraine's economic situation.  I pointed out small amounts can add up, if people want the programme.

I have no idea what you are asking in (b).

"Micto" in Ukrainian is the word for town.  It can also mean place.  Anyone who is fluent in Ukrainian should know this.   That is in unRussified Ukrainian, BTW.  You would find it in this dictionary, for example -

http://www.amazon.com/Ukrainian-English-Dictionary-Ukrainian-English-Andrusyshen/dp/0802064213

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline papakota

• Banned Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 10:01:07 PM »
On his facebook page, he did ask people to make donations, in a 5 minute or so video (now taken down).  He also said he has $1 million and his expenses are $250,000.

My better half laughed at his request for "protection" and that he was asking for funds from individuals, given Ukraine's economic situation.  I pointed out small amounts can add up, if people want the programme.

I have no idea what you are asking in (b).

"Micto" in Ukrainian is the word for town.  It can also mean place.  Anyone who is fluent in Ukrainian should know this.   That is in unRussified Ukrainian, BTW.  You would find it in this dictionary, for example -

http://www.amazon.com/Ukrainian-English-Dictionary-Ukrainian-English-Andrusyshen/dp/0802064213
Who said anything about Facebook? Show me. I was only referring to Shuster LIVE and nothing else.

In "B" I was saying that since you understood the languages, you could either confirm or deny my translation of what had been said in that TV program. Why to beat around the bush, they said what they said, didn't they?

As per language, you speak some dead language, like Latin. I speak "Italian", so to speak. Mainstream Ukrainian is different. And with exception of some small village by Polish border maybe no one in Ukraine speaks the way you do. Go to Google Translate and translate an English word "place" into Ukrainian. What would you get? Here's an official Ukrainian Ministry of Foreign Affairs page:

http://mfa.gov.ua/ua/consular-affairs/con/proj

What do you see there? Залишення на постійне місце проживання за кордоном

Have you asked yourself a simple question WHY someone like me who doesn't live in Ukraine knows Ukrainian? Putin and alike don't know Ukrainian at all. I don't discriminate Ukrainian speakers and I wouldn't be allowing them to discriminate me if I were a citizen of Ukraine. Russian speakers in Ukraine have patience of saints, literally. If they were more like me, 2014 would've happened in 1991. I wouldn't be allowing Neo Nazis like you to dictate me how to live my life, which language to speak and whom to worship. Speaking of language, in that TV program, they interviewed a few residents of Kiev. So most of them spoke Russian. And it's in Kiev, not Odessa or Lugansk. Therefore to keep saying about some mysterious pre Maidan 17% is very strange. In Baltic countries it's different. Yes, there are lots of Russian speakers there. But they are NOT NATIVES there. They all are Soviet internal migrants. I am a native in Ukraine, since Ukrainian Law allows me to apply for citizenship based on roots in Ukraine.

http://mfa.gov.ua/ua/consular-affairs/conszdy/grom/ethnic

And I wasn't personally even born in Ukraine. My mom was and her parents etc. And do you know that, say, in Estonia, even people who were born there in Soviet times didn't have that luxury to apply directly for local citizenship. They had to go through some language tests etc. Not my case vs. Ukraine. In my case, no conditions, just one, i.e. to give up (renounce) my other citizenship. Our proven family tree starts in mid 19th century there. Not in 1970 or something, like in case of most Russian speakers in, say, Estonia. That's the difference that you don't want to see. Therefore, in Estonia Russian language is a foreign one and in Ukraine - it isn't. And that's the main reason that whatever happened in 2014, happened in Ukraine and not in Estonia and not Estonia's NATO membership. If anything happens, you gonna help them about as much as you helped Czechoslovakia in 1938.

I was staying in some hotel in Kharkov in summer 2013. There was a girl working at reception. I asked her for a receipt. She didn't even know how months are called in Ukrainian, only in Russian. So I as a foreign visitor had to tell a native Ukrainian citizen how to spell July. That it's not июль, but липень. Had to show it then in a bank as proof of address to open an account. That's why I cared. It's an abnormal situation in a country. I've never seen anything like that anywhere in the world. Or is that also Putin's fault? And she grew up in post Soviet Ukraine, so you can't blame communists or Catherine the II. If Ukrainian citizens really wanted to speak Ukrainian they would've spoken it by now, especially after over 20 years of independence.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 10:43:24 PM by papakota »

Offline Boethius

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 10:11:32 PM »
I lived in Kyiv for years. My language is not dead.  I just asked my husband as well. . He says micto means place in Ukrainian. Given he grew up there and studied it in school, and dictionaries confirm this, I will dismiss your ramblings on the issue.

Shuster Live has a facebook page. You can look it up. The plea is there but opening it is now disabled.

I didn't listen to your link. I had no reason to disbelieve what you posted.

Offline papakota

• Banned Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 10:28:00 PM »
I lived in Kyiv for years. My language is not dead.  I just asked my husband as well. . He says micto means place in Ukrainian. Given he grew up there and studied it in school, and dictionaries confirm this, I will dismiss your ramblings on the issue.

Shuster Live has a facebook page. You can look it up. The plea is there but opening it is now disabled.

I didn't listen to your link. I had no reason to disbelieve what you posted.

Great. Let's leave it at this. Of course, your language isn't dead. You can practice it all you want, especially in a place like Banff. Your husband is probably a more of a figure of trust than Ukrainian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Google Translate. Who is he? Taras Shevchenko or something? Yes, you can say shpital in Kiev and most would understand that you're talking about a hospital. But that's not how they normally say it. They say "likarnya".

Offline Boethius

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 10:40:28 PM »
Languages are living and we are fortunate to have access to lots of resources online these days. There are also tens of thousands of Ukrainians from Ukraine in my city, and most of them can speak Ukrainian.

Many of the professors I studied with moved to Kyiv after the collapse of the USSR to establish the Mohyla Academy, the most prestigious university in Ukraine. One of them wrote the definitive texts, both in the West and in Ukraine, on Ukrainian language use.  So yeah, for decades, we all spoke a dead language.  :rolleyes:

I would not rely on something as imperfect as google translate as a definitive source of a word's definition, particularly for a language I don't speak.  But I will add, my point was never about the commonality of usage.  I personally would not use "misto" for place.  I would use "mistse".  However, it is a recognized definition of the word, even today, and for the point I was making (commonality with OCS), it was accurate.

As for Tymoshenko, she speaks Ukrainian the way Melania Trump speaks English.  Her sounds are very Russian, and at times, she slips and uses a Russian word.  I give her points, though, for learning Ukrainian, given she is not ethnically Ukrainian and grew up in a Russian speaking environment.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 10:12:52 AM by Boethius »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541277
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 2190
Most Online Ever: 12701