It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?  (Read 455909 times)

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Dear Trench,

You have told us many times you are doing no wrong.

Here's a suggestion. Post on here that you are not breaking the law.....

I am not breaking the law - there you go Mobers ;)

I travel to my home address and to my place of work, that is permitted.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline BillyB

• Trips: > 10

In yesterdays briefing, CBS News White House correspondent Weijia Jiang asked why Trump didn't warn Americans earlier. Lol. So while everybody was focused on impeachment in January and February, they blame Trump for not giving warning back then. January travel restrictions weren't a clue? Instead of writing articles back in January that Trump is taking serious action against the virus, they call him racist.

Somebody on the internet compiled this timeline since the media now wants to ignore facts and pretend everybody seen this virus coming except for Trump.

January 14 - the WHO (World Health Organization) sent out a tweet declaring that there is no evidence of human-to-human transmission of the COVID-19 virus.

January 23 - Vox - "The evidence on travel bans for diseases like Coronavirus is clear: They don't work"

January 24 - Dr. Anthony Fauci National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) Director reported:
• Covid 19 It isn't something the American public needs to worry about or be frightened about, because we have ways of preparing and screening of.
• It's a very, very low risk to the United States, but it's something that we as public health officials need to take very seriously.
• However, Joe Scarborough and wife Minka had a segment where they said "no Americans need to be concerned about COVID-19 and should be more concerned about the common flu.

January 26: Fauci says Coronavirus is a very low risk to our country

January 27: Pelosi proposes legislation to bar the President from closing border

January 28: Business Insider - "flu is a far bigger threat to most people in the US than the Wuhan coronavirus"

January 29: LA Times - "The new coronavirus isn't a threat to people in the United States - but the flu is"

January 29: Joe Biden in a speech in Iowa said that Trump's idea of restricting travel from China was "Xenophobic".

January 30: WHO calls corona virus a healthcare emergency.

January 31: TRUMP CLOSES OUR BORDER to foreign nationals who had recently visited China.

• WHO recommends against closing the border.
• Democrats attack Trump as racist and xenophobic
• NYT quotes an epidemiologist as saying that Trump's decision to restrict travel from China was "more of an emotional or political reaction."
• WaPo quotes a Chinese official asking for "empathy" and slamming the White House for acting "in disregard of WHO recommendation against travel restrictions."
• Vox tweets: "Is this going to be a deadly pandemic? No." (Tweet deleted weeks later).

February 1: Washington Post - "Get a grip, America. The flu is a much bigger threat than coronavirus, for now." New York Times - "Beware the Pandemic Panic - (used to justify unnecessarily severe limits on movement and civil liberties)"

February 2: TRUMP IMPOSES QUARANTINE on American travelers who recently visited China

• WHO says virus can be easily controlled
• CNN tweets a joke to downplay threat posed by Coronavirus: "There's a virus that has infected 15 millionAmericans across the country and killed more than 8,200 people this season alone. It's not a new pandemic — it's influenza."
• NYC Health Commissioner Barbot tweets: “As we gear up to celebrate the #LunarNewYear in NYC, I want to assure New Yorkers that there is no reason for anyone to change their holiday plans, avoid the subway, or certain parts of the city because of #coronavirus."
• New York City Health Commissioner Dr. Oxiris Barbot, “The risk to New Yorkers for Coronavirus is low and our preparedness as a city is very high. There is no reason not to take the subway, not to take the bus, not to go out to your favorite restaurant, and certainly not to miss the parade next Sunday. I’m going to be there.”

February 4: Politico - "Coronavirus quarantine, travel ban could backfire, experts fear"

February 7: Health Commissioner Barbot says "We’re telling New Yorkers, go about your lives, take the subway, go out, enjoy life."

February 9: The chair of NYC Health Committee tweets: "In powerful show of defiance of #coronavirus scare, huge crowds gathering in NYC's Chinatown for ceremony ahead of annual #LunarNewYear parade. Chants of 'be strong Wuhan!' If you are staying away, you are missing out!"

February 11: Biden, through his adviser, says the evidence "suggests" the coronavirus won't be a "serious pandemic."

February 13: DeBlasio's office tweets "There are ZERO confirmed cases of coronavirus in New York City, and hundreds of Chinese restaurants that need your business! There is nothing to fear. Stop by any Chinatown for lunch or dinner!"

• De Blasio tweets "It was my honor to spend time with our Asian-American owned small businesses in Flushing today. This vibrant community is standing strong but they need YOUR support. Our Chinatowns are open for business — make some dinner plans, do some shopping and stand with our neighbors!"
• Biden, through his advisor, praises de Blasio: "We don’t have a #COVIDー19 epidemic in the US but we are starting to see a fear epidemic. Kudos to @NYCMayor (and others) for standing against that."

February 17: Fauci says risk of coronavirus infection in U.S. is "miniscule” and people shouldn't wear masks unless they are contagious.

February 24: Nancy Pelosi says from San Francisco's China Town to come visit, it is safe and "there are no Coronavirus concerns". Then SF became one of the epicenters of the disease.

February 28: CDC RECOMMENDS SOCIAL DISTANCING

February 29: Fauci says risk is low and people can continue day-to-day routines re malls, movies
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
Billy,

If you are going to post timeline, at least show the full source which for the most part seems to be:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/from-new-york-to-canada-to-the-white-house-initial-coronavirus-responses-havent-aged-well

Note, quite a lot has been culled and, well, modified to fit whatever agenda along with inserts from other 'timelines' deemed favourable.

'somebody on the internet' is who?

ho hum

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Billy,

If you are going to post timeline, at least show the full source which for the most part seems to be:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/from-new-york-to-canada-to-the-white-house-initial-coronavirus-responses-havent-aged-well

Note, quite a lot has been culled and, well, modified to fit whatever agenda along with inserts from other 'timelines' deemed favourable.

'somebody on the internet' is who?

ho hum

BC-

Is there any part of the timeline you disagree with? Please state so...
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline GQBlues

In yesterdays briefing,....Trump....

BillyB-

Yesterday's briefing, Trump said we have thousands of ventilators available and are restocking plenty in our national stockpile. He noted, based on reports given by governors around the country that *NO case/patient that needed ventilators was ever deprived of it unlike what we've seen elsewhere that supposedly had better healthcare system than the US. We never had to play overlords and decide on who dies and live because of equipment shortages and unpreparedness!!! And this, after finding out the incompetence of the previous administration.

What an administration/leader Trump really is, eh?

But what was interesting was, he also stated that 20+ millions of 3M N95 masks are currently getting shipped, and millions more on the way - BUT makes one wonder if our health care system is so stupid and not realize that according to a self-declared message board expert on everything under the sun, that N95 masks apparently choke people dead after 30 minutes? Why make these mask in the first place if this was true?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 09:59:05 AM by GQBlues »
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline BC

BC-

There are many, but I'll not be going through them all.  Is easy to do by comparing Billy's post with the fox news timeline.  Much cannot be checked as no sources are listed in Billy's list.

Here's an example from Billy's post: 

January 14 - the WHO (World Health Organization) sent out a tweet declaring that there is no evidence of human-to-human transmission of the COVID-19 virus.

Here from the fox news timeline:

Jan. 14: The WHO announces, “Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) identified in Wuhan, China.”

World of difference eh?

Offline BillyB

Billy,

My source was from a guy who commented after a yahoo article, not Fox as you falsely claim. You can Google each of the statements he made in the timeline to see if it's true or not. I knew what he posted was true based on what I read in the past so I used his accurate timeline which has bothered you. There were many experts, including Fauci and those from WHO, that said a travel ban is ineffective. But the media keeps playing the record Trump doesn't listen to experts. Trump is listening to experts now but he didn't in January and early February thank God.

BillyB-

Yesterday's briefing, Trump said we have thousands of ventilators available and are restocking plenty in our national stockpile. He noted, based on reports given by governors around the country that *NO case/patient that needed ventilators was ever deprived of it unlike what we've seen elsewhere that supposedly had better healthcare system than the US. We never had to play overlords and decide on who dies and live because of equipment shortages and unpreparedness!!! And this, after finding out the incompetence of the previous administration.

What an administration/leader Trump really is, eh?

But what was interesting was, he also stated that 20+ millions of 3M N95 masks are currently getting shipped, and millions more on the way - BUT makes one wonder if our health care system is so stupid and not realize that according to a self-declared message board expert on everything under the sun, that N95 masks apparently choke people dead after 30 minutes? Why make these mask in the first place if this was true?

Remember when NY complained about not getting enough ventilators from the federal government and later in a briefing Trump says they were delivered, NY put them in storage and they forgot it was there? My friend who's a nurse said that there can be mismanagement at lower levels and it's not the federal government's fault. The media can always find a nurse in the country that says she doesn't have enough PPE to wear and it's true, not because we don't have enough, but because of bad management. PPE gets stolen at the hospital because nobody thought to put security on it. Manager forgets to take inventory and supplies run out before he orders more. Managers at the State level fail to distribute PPE properly. Slow response to the virus and PPE problems seem to happen in Democratic States more often.

Hurricane Katrina is an example of bad management at all levels. Lots of waste and emergency supplies forgotten in warehouses only to be discovered years later.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/27/washington/27katrina.html
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline GQBlues

There are many, but I'll not be going through them all.  Is easy to do by comparing Billy's post with the fox news timeline.  Much cannot be checked as no sources are listed in Billy's list.

Here's an example from Billy's post:  January 14 - the WHO (World Health Organization) sent out a tweet declaring that there is no evidence of human-to-human transmission of the COVID-19 virus.

Here from the fox news timeline: Jan. 14: The WHO announces, “Preliminary investigations conducted by the Chinese authorities have found no clear evidence of human-to-human transmission of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) identified in Wuhan, China.”

World of difference eh?

1. I asked you about the timeline, not Billy's post. If there's anything you didn't agree with, please offer the correct event.

2. As for Billy's 'edited' version. Clear semantics, wouldn't you agree?

Offline BC

1. I asked you about the timeline, not Billy's post. If there's anything you didn't agree with, please offer the correct event.

2. As for Billy's 'edited' version. Clear semantics, wouldn't you agree?

1. I don't have any great objections to the fox timeline.  They have source links that can be followed.  Generally jives with other substantiated timelines.

2. Semantics no, substance yes.

Offline msmob

Oh Ho,

Crimea doesn't want Russian visitors !

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/04/20/stop-visiting-crimea-during-coronavirus-outbreak-leader-tells-russians-a70043

To be fair, Krasnodar feels the same and hotels / restaurant are closed

Offline Chelseaboy

• Trips: 1 - 3
Trench,

Looks like Ukraine has Corona virus under control,,,so your plan on being a God among impoverished Ukrainain hotties isn't going to work out,

More likely you'll be an impoverished English bloke from a crashed economy hoping a wealthy Ukrainian woman in her 60's/70's might take you on : )
Just saying it like it is.

Offline SteveInBoston

• Trips: 1 - 3
BC-

Hi GQ,

I disagree in the omissions of that timeline.  Every time Sean Hannity and Jesse Watters stated coronavirus was not a threat, that it was fake news, that the seasonal flu is much more dangerous.  Also omitted are all the news reports and statements by other than Fox News that the coronavirus was serious, that it was a threat.  It cherry picks just the handful of positive items on it's handling of the crisis.

Offline GQBlues

Hi GQ,

I disagree in the omissions of that timeline.  Every time Sean Hannity and Jesse Watters stated coronavirus was not a threat, that it was fake news, that the seasonal flu is much more dangerous.  Also omitted are all the news reports and statements by other than Fox News that the coronavirus was serious, that it was a threat.  It cherry picks just the handful of positive items on it's handling of the crisis.

Steve-

I can understand your point.

FWIW, I do not watch Hannity or for that matter Watters (is he the same guy who used to be O'Reilly's sidekick?), so I cannot refute anything you're saying. But having said this, presumably that is the counter point against the cited timeline by stating many others pretty much said the same thing.

But the point I thought being made was that, fake news keep attempting to accuse, if not blame, Trump for not reacting quick enough to prevent the fatalities we sustained on this pandemic. I'm certain it's to confuse the liberal base to actually believe them. The timeline clearly shows to the counter.

No one, not the conservative (apparently) / liberal talking heads, neither Biden or Pelosi, not the WHO, and not even Dr. Fauci agreed with Trump when he decided to restrict flights from China, then the ensuing national emergency declaration.

Which makes one wonder exactly what the heck are the MSM trying to demonize him for if not for the sole  purpose of confusing the subject, and make the gullible buy into their fake news. I would like to actually 'see' anything or anyone prove the timeline is in error. Having everyone else say the same thing doesn't negate the fact Trump did in fact 'acted' promptly and properly despite the overwhelming opinions against his action/s.

It's an election year, Steve. Where we all take the country forward come November is entirely up to each of us.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 05:22:37 PM by GQBlues »

Offline BillyB

I don't watch Fox News and I don't think the media's actions should be in a timeline of events. The mainstream media is trying to claim two things on a regular basis and that is Trump acted slow and he doesn't listen to experts. If you can find days where Trump ignored expert advice and prove he acted slow, add it to the timeline. If the timeline isn't accurate, point out what you think is wrong with it. The only time I know Trump ignored expert advice was back in January when experts were advising against banning travel. What Trump did was copied by every nation on earth so apparently he made a good decision and his move will be recorded in playbooks on how to handle pandemics.

Offline BillyB

Looks like Ukraine has Corona virus under control,,,

My MIL is a retired doctor currently in Ivano Frankivsk. She still talks to her friends in the hospital. The death toll in that one city is almost as great as the death toll Ukraine submits to WHO for the whole nation. Don't believe any reporting from that part of the World. There's a lot of under reporting going on to keep people from panicking and get people to believe their leaders are doing a wonderful job compared to the leaders of 1st World nations.

In other news, good news! NY governor Cuomo said he'll give 400 ventilators to a State in need.

Offline jone

Just as a total aside.   I was comparing my thoughts of CNN twenty years ago to how I think of them now.   What a disappointment.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline fathertime

So now trump and many conservatives are having their real dreams come true.  No more immigration to the USA.  Supposed to be temporary, we will see how that works out.  The US is the most infected nation on the planet currently.  Many aren't interested in coming here right now anyway.  I am really curious to see how this plays out over the next few months to few years. 

Trump says he is suspending immigration over coronavirus, need to protect jobs

President Donald Trump said Monday that he is temporarily suspending immigration to the United States in response to the coronavirus pandemic and the "need to protect jobs."

In a tweet Monday night, the president attributed the suspension to an "attack from the Invisible Enemy" and the "need to protect the jobs of our GREAT American Citizens."....

http://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-says-suspending-immigration-over-022531226.html 

Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline GenMish

So now trump and many conservatives are having their real dreams come true.  No more immigration to the USA.  Supposed to be temporary, we will see how that works out.  The US is the most infected nation on the planet currently.  Many aren't interested in coming here right now anyway.  I am really curious to see how this plays out over the next few months to few years. 

President Donald Trump said Monday that he is temporarily suspending immigration to the United States in response to the coronavirus pandemic and the "need to protect jobs."

In a tweet Monday night, the president attributed the suspension to an "attack from the Invisible Enemy" and the "need to protect the jobs of our GREAT American Citizens."....

http://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-says-suspending-immigration-over-022531226.html 

Fathertime!

Serious move, considering our country was built on immigration

Lamentations to all out there waiting for approval to come here, it might be a long time before that policy is reversed

Offline BC

Just as a total aside.   I was comparing my thoughts of CNN twenty years ago to how I think of them now.   What a disappointment.

Jone,

There are no real news outlets anymore, they are all 'news shows'.

Offline Gator

Lamentations to all out there waiting for approval to come here, it might be a long time before that policy is reversed

Not sure how much of an effect this will have on COVID-19 given the existing travel bans. 

The judicial review process will commence soon, starting with some liberal leaning District court. 

This is probably best for the Trump Doctrine thread. 

Offline fathertime

Serious move, considering our country was built on immigration

Trump has somewhat successfully empowered and galvanized conservatives against immigration.  Illegal immigrants there is a decent case, although they have been fulfilling a need.  Legal immigration happens to occur from a lot of spanish speaking, asian, and africian nations, and that doesn't set well with many of the republicans.  The Corona Virus has provided the excuse trump needed to take the draconian measure of 100% no immigrants.  The virus is already loose, so on that basis it really isn't sensible.   

Fathertime!   
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline Gator

There are no real news outlets anymore, they are all 'news shows'.

Certainly true for political news, with the evening "show" programming and content designed to make the audience feel as good as possible. 

CNN was impressive in its Turner days.  CNN is still among the best IMO in covering breaking news about disasters and similar events.    As soon as Trump's Presidential duties warrant some response from him, the CNN news coverage focuses more on finding something debatable and painting it as black.     Nothing wrong when reporting the "dubious," yet when the dubious is tilted in the same direction every time.....it just reinforces the divide. 

Offline BillyB

Hopefully it doesn't affect family based visas but why issue temporary work visas when unemployment is high?

CNN was impressive in its Turner days.  CNN is still among the best IMO in covering breaking news about disasters and similar events.    As soon as Trump's Presidential duties warrant some response from him, the CNN news coverage focuses more on finding something debatable and painting it as black.     Nothing wrong when reporting the "dubious," yet when the dubious is tilted in the same direction every time.....it just reinforces the divide. 

I don't watch news anymore but when I became interested in tv news in the late 80's and 90's CNN was the place I went to. I remember watching them report the buildup of the forces before liberating Kuwait and air bombing of Iraqi forces to soften them up. They were not hammering on Republican president H.W Bush everyday questioning his every move.  It seems many news outlets have a couple of objectives. 1) to provide shocking news so they get more clicks at websites and 2) Get a certain person elected President.

Offline GQBlues

OAN & NEWSY are likely the better channels to watch or listen to varied news report. Any rational, critical thinking person should easily recognize any political agendas being advanced on any of these sources. OAN have both the 'Tipping Point' and 'The Ledger' shows that are rabid conservative political views. These are just as bad as any other shows you'll see at CNN or MSNBC.

I abhor Sean Hannity. Occasionally, I may watch Tucker Carlson or Chris Wallace (Bill O'Reilly before), but would easily turn it off when the drivels begin oozing with potent partizanship e.g. Glenn Beck.

As for CNN, I use to remember when Bernard Shaw was broadcasting from an unknown location in Baghdad while bombs were exploding everywhere and tracer fires where lighting up the nighttime skies...now the channel is nothing but a great source of highly partisan political garbage talk 24/7. Prime purveyor of Fake News.

Huge Ted Koppel fan. Still am.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 08:30:23 AM by GQBlues »

Offline Strider

• Trips: No Selection
OK, returning to the topic...

What is the latest on international travel to and from Ukraine?

Any news on easing restrictions?

Thanks!
"It's by talking nonsense that one gets to the truth!"
-Fiodor Michajłowicz Dostojewski

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats