It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Soviet era apartments  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Omega82

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
Soviet era apartments
« on: February 29, 2020, 11:27:07 PM »
Does anyone know if the Soviet era apartments (the four story ones without elevator) have an association fee? 

In other words, if one owns the apartment what must one pay? 

Offline rwd123

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Soviet era apartments
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 01:10:26 AM »
I'm happy to be corrected but it was more pre-Soviet buildings that are four storey. "Stalinka" buildings are typically five storeys without an elevator. Later buildings tended to be much taller.

Buildings will normally have an associated management company ("Управляющая компания").

I don't have much data on hand but was told for a nice 1 room apartment in Odesa (new construction) the annual overheads were around 1000USD. It will depend on the management company and their arrangements for a particular building. I assume those with larger apartments (sqm) will pay more. Heating can be expensive - I know one person told me it cost 800USD for a winter.

I can't vouch for the reliability of this site, but if you find an equivalent in your city of interest it may be helpful.

http://www.n-s-k.net/fix/info/

Here's an example of a building on the site (for Novosibirsk):

http://www.n-s-k.net/fix/info/?street=%CA%D0%C0%D1%CD%DB%C9+%CF%D0%CE%D1%CF%C5%CA%D2&house=16

But best advice is from someone living in the city/country you are interested in.

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2020, 08:04:33 AM »
stalinkas have taller ceilings, this makes it easier to install parquet floors...
because parquet is thick, and you lose some height for your ceiling, so most people with short ceilings won't install parquet
back in the day, Russians had a lot of love for parquet...

but these apartments are 70 years old now crumbling...
be careful walking underneath the balcony of a stalinka
cuz I've seen pieces of concrete crack, break-off and fall to the ground below...
with enough force, that if it hit you in the head, you'd end up being a Republican and vote for Trump
that's some serious brain damage

« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 08:06:52 AM by krimster2 »

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2020, 08:33:48 AM »
In Soviet times, there was an organization (acronym ЖЕК) that people paid a small fee to monthly to come and fix any issues within apartments, or in outside common areas. ЖЕК still exists today in both Russia and Ukraine for state owned apartments. 

In Ukraine, gangsters took over what ЖЕК did and demand fees from apartment owners.  This is illegal, but it still occurs.  Even with those fees, if anything is broken, it isn't fixed. 

I don't know the situation overall in Russia, but I do have relatives in Russia who own several apartments, and they pay no fees to anyone.  They don't live in Stalin era apartments, but I don't think when the apartment was built is relevant.  You could ask one of the RW who post here (infrequently).

Are you being asked to send money to cover this fee?  Or are you looking to invest?

This post was composed without the aid of google.

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online krimster2

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2020, 08:50:24 AM »
to answer the question, if you live in an apartment, there IS an "association fee" of a few dollars per month
that as Bodacious says, covers simple maintenance, but this fee was so tiny I don't remember how much it was
less than insignificant

I know apartments are easier to find, but after living in one for a couple of years
my experience was you'd be WAY better off living in a house than living in VERY close proximity to a buncha uncivilized Russians!
some adult Russians live like frat boys
some adult Russians rent out their apartments to tourists who have massive blow-out parties at 2 AM
slovo!
at my compound in Shevchenko, I only heard the sounds of nature
rooster waking me and the dogs up at dawn
I was really happy there, but my family didn't like it

« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 08:54:27 AM by krimster2 »

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2020, 08:50:37 AM »
I'm happy to be corrected but it was more pre-Soviet buildings that are four storey. "Stalinka" buildings are typically five storeys without an elevator. Later buildings tended to be much taller.

Buildings will normally have an associated management company ("Управляющая компания").

I don't have much data on hand but was told for a nice 1 room apartment in Odesa (new construction) the annual overheads were around 1000USD. It will depend on the management company and their arrangements for a particular building. I assume those with larger apartments (sqm) will pay more. Heating can be expensive - I know one person told me it cost 800USD for a winter.

I can't vouch for the reliability of this site, but if you find an equivalent in your city of interest it may be helpful.

http://www.n-s-k.net/fix/info/

Here's an example of a building on the site (for Novosibirsk):

http://www.n-s-k.net/fix/info/?street=%CA%D0%C0%D1%CD%DB%C9+%CF%D0%CE%D1%CF%C5%CA%D2&house=16

But best advice is from someone living in the city/country you are interested in.
One friend of mine in a new appartment of more than 100 square meters was paying for a very modern building with lift and permanent concierge and parking attendant maybe 40$ maximum per month but very likely without heating
"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Online krimster2

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2020, 08:57:05 AM »
yes, that's a separate bill...

back in the day, there was no online bill paying for utilities in Russia
and NO ONE in Russia pays by a check in the mail...
so...
each month you have to go to each utility office
or a bank and make your utility payment in person...
very 19th century
soon they will have paper money

here's a pic of the Rancho Del Krimster, at about the 75% completion, many years ago
it was made by purchasing 3 separate but contiguous dachas of 20 sotek each
that cost roughly $10,000 each
and maybe $100,000 in construction cost, I was my own contractor and hired locals
plus swimming pool, generators, water pump, etc
it was a cool little place with chickens, cows, pigs, sheep, dogs, cats
we had a massive garden and fruit trees
a place you could wait out the apocalypse

« Last Edit: March 01, 2020, 09:07:07 AM by krimster2 »

Offline ML

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2020, 10:12:35 AM »
Does anyone know if the Soviet era apartments (the four story ones without elevator) have an association fee? 

In other words, if one owns the apartment what must one pay?

The four and five story ones are usually 'Kruschevka' buildings.

There are maintenance fees required which can vary, but something along the lines of $20-30 per month.

And owners also pay separately for electricity, cold water and hot water.

Here is description of the various  types of buildings in FSU.

http://teren.kiev.ua/en/news/typical-constructions-of-the-soviet-union
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline rwd123

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2020, 02:46:23 AM »
One friend of mine in a new appartment of more than 100 square meters was paying for a very modern building with lift and permanent concierge and parking attendant maybe 40$ maximum per month but very likely without heating
The 1000 USD was total costs. It's actually closer to 1500USD/year come to think of it, as I think I was told it was around 100-120 USD/month.

Heating costs will be different in different regions and countries.

The high ceilings in Stalinkas are noticeable when compared with newer apartments. They really do make a huge difference, even just an extra foot. But 12 feet ceilings almost feel palacial. If they are maintained they should stand for 150 years, but maintenance is a big issue. The third floor is the best if buying - top floor can get roof leaks, bottom floor can get moisture problems, and it can be possible to acquire the apartment above/below to extend and make as one.

Online krimster2

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2020, 05:57:48 PM »
over the last decade, property ownership costs in Ukraine have escalated quite a bit when expressed as a percentage
not just a bigger property tax, the IMF forced Ukraine to reduce public subsidy of energy costs by simply raising the residential prices in stages
so utility prices have also increased in terms of percentages...

however, if compared to the USA, the prices will be maybe half of what you could find in a low cost area of the USA
so, pretty cheap still...

property insurance is generally optional in Ukraine

you own a house in Ukraine, it'll cost ya $200 or so per month
and you could own a cheap house in the USA for $400 per month and either live there yourself or rent it out for $2,000 per month

if you get enough of these houses, then you simply maintain and rent them and plow the money back into buying new ones during market dips
before you know it, you're a slum lord
a mini Fred Trump
and you will develop a really bad attitude towards your fellow humans at the beginning of each month

« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 06:15:38 PM by krimster2 »

Offline calmissile

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2020, 07:23:51 PM »
I'll try to get a current number for the apartment my wife and mother own in Kiev.  It is a soviet era apartment.  I think there are 4 floors and a rickety elevator.  The apartment has 2 bedrooms, kitchen, and living room which converts to a bedroom (very common), and a bathroom.

As I recall, the fees are based upon how many people are registered living in the apartment.  It seemed strange to me but everyone has to be registered with the government living at some address.  The utilities are not individually metered.  The fees are paid to the local government.  Also, the heat for the building is turned on and off seasonally.  As I recall, the hot water might also be turned on and off at certain times of the day.

If I can get a current cost from my MIL, I will post it as an edit to this post.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline Gator

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 07:52:24 PM »
The four and five story ones are usually 'Kruschevka' buildings.

They are frowned upon as cheaply constructed. 

The Soviet apartments constructed by Nazi prisoners detained for years after the war are considered the best, and command high resale prices (or did a decade ago).   

Offline rwd123

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2020, 08:32:08 PM »
It seemed strange to me but everyone has to be registered with the government living at some address. 
It is a relic from Soviet times, as are migration cards and registration. Fortunately some countries have evolved and dropped these requirements.

If you are considering purchasing an apartment in the FSU, it is critically important you make sure part of the transfer involves de-registration of everyone registered to the address. It can be extremely difficult to evict someone registered even if you have bought the property, and may be practically impossible if a minor is registered to the property.

Offline IvanM07

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2020, 07:19:34 PM »
They are frowned upon as cheaply constructed. 

The Soviet apartments constructed by Nazi prisoners detained for years after the war are considered the best, and command high resale prices (or did a decade ago).

I know I troll a bit, but honest question, is this true?

My F-FIL has already given me the keys if I wish to a similar flat and am looking for a remote Sr. NetEng. Spot but didn't think it was worth a ton as a 2.5 BR?

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2020, 12:31:21 PM »
Some Khrushchevkas are well built.  They were built with brick blocks.

The buildings built by POWs are in a "Stalin" style.

This post was composed without the aid of google.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541296
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 3218
Most Online Ever: 12701