It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: zengeek newbie  (Read 3368 times)

Offline zengeek

zengeek newbie
« on: March 23, 2013, 08:07:28 PM »
Hi all,

I just want to introduce myself and say hi.  I am divorced man in my early thirties.  I have read this forum and the other forum quite a lot and decided to register as a member.  I have decided to take the first long flight to Kiev in April.

I have talked some ladies who are looking for relationship on mamba.ru   They are friendly.  I am going to visit Kiev and also take the express train to Kharkov to meet some of them.  I don't know any Russian so it will be a challenging trip.

This is my first time and I don't know what will happen.  Wish me luck!  Any tips are welcome and I will try to report back what I find  :)   I want to thank many of you to describe your trips, it has been tremendously helpful and was the main reason why I decided to try this :)

-Z

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: zengeek newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 08:05:50 AM »

I have talked some ladies who are looking for relationship on mamba.ru   They are friendly.  I am going to visit Kiev and also take the express train to Kharkov to meet some of them. 

Mamba is an  excellent place to meet FSU women in your own country. Most ladies living in the FSU don't want a relationship with a foreign man. They may be interested in meeting Mr. International and won't stop you from visiting but they may hesitate in marrying you. Bride.ru, which specializes in foreign relationships, advertises at Mamba and gets some of their ladies to sign up on their site.

I thinks it's good you're visiting more than one lady. Tell all ladies you're visiting them as a friend so there's no hard feelings. They aren't stupid and if you stay in Ukriane longer than the time you're meeting them, they know what's going on. Some of the ladies you're visiting are probably dating other guys anyway, especially if their profile is still up. Some ladies get tens of thousands of visitors to their page. You're not the only guy.

If you do find a lady you want a relationship with, have a serious talk with her and if she wants it too, tell her the relationship start now and that you won't be seeing anymore women in Ukraine or at home. Take your profile down but don't tell her to take her's down. Her behavior will show how much she dedicates herself to you.

Plan on visiting the lady again for an extended period of time. Meet her family and see if you two get along and bond better or fall apart. Then talk marriage or break up.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline zengeek

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 07:05:45 PM »
Hi BillyB, thanks a lot for the advice, very helpful information.  I will see how this trip goes and I indeed meet ladies who are interested, then I will start planning future trips.  I will look at bride.ru. good idea!  thanks! -z

Offline RedBraces

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 04:09:48 PM »
Hi Zengeek,

Sounds like we have a few things in common. I am also going to the Ukraine in a few weeks. Also do not know any Russian so that should be amusing ! I am a 50 yr old Australian.

The posts from other Travellers are really helpful.

I am actually starting from Odessa and then to Nikolaev and possibly Krakov. I will watch this forum and let you know if I am heading to Krakov.

I am looking forward to meeting lots of people and hopefully a few nice women.

Bye for now
Robert

Offline ML

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 04:38:23 PM »
I am actually starting from Odessa and then to Nikolaev and possibly Krakov.

Oooopppps.  Better check to be sure if your ticket is to Krakow, Poland or Kharkov, Ukraine.    8)
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 04:43:41 PM »
Some like adventure, ML you cut the adventure.
"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline zengeek

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 10:06:43 PM »
Hi Robert,

I am also a little confused whether you mean Kharkov/Kharkiv or Krakow in Poland.

Kherson is not far away from Nikolaev, do you plan to visit there too?  How do you plan to go from Nikolaev to Kharkov/Kharkiv?  Is there any train or bus that takes you there direct?  Or you will have to change in some intermediate city?

Good luck with your adventure!

Thanks, -Z

Offline Mila

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 10:53:46 PM »
Oooopppps.  Better check to be sure if your ticket is to Krakow, Poland or Kharkov, Ukraine.    8)
Hi there! You have to be really careful with that, as it does sound similar. I had a situation once, a guy didn't check his ticket, as somebody else booked it for him. So he arrived in Krakov (Poland) and was waiting for me to meet him at the airport. It took me lots of patience to find out that he was in Poland, but not Ukraine. So, it is not a joke, it happens ;)

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 11:18:52 PM »
Hi Zengeek,

Sounds like we have a few things in common. I am also going to the Ukraine in a few weeks. Also do not know any Russian so that should be amusing ! I am a 50 yr old Australian.

The posts from other Travellers are really helpful.

I am actually starting from Odessa and then to Nikolaev and possibly Krakov. I will watch this forum and let you know if I am heading to Krakov.

I am looking forward to meeting lots of people and hopefully a few nice women.

Bye for now
Robert
Robert,
when will you be in Odessa?
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline RedBraces

• Trips: None (yet)
Spelling of city names ??
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2013, 12:45:02 AM »
Hi All,

I am aware of the VERY similar names  and I hope I do not make the mistake and end up in Poland !

Planning on being in Odessa 17th April to the 24th, then Nikolaev. I am finding lots to do in Odessa so I might
return for a week before leaving.

Can I use my ATM card in the Ukraine ? I was planning on taking some cash and using ATMs when I need cash.

Have not really planned much past the first 2 weeks. Figured I would just see where I end up.

Chat soon,
Robert

Offline Shadow

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2013, 02:19:23 AM »
Welcome to both of you.

In most cities they have ATM's, you might wish to inform your bank of your travel plans so they do not mark it as suspicious.

No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
Re: Spelling of city names ??
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 03:54:30 AM »
Hi All,

I am aware of the VERY similar names  and I hope I do not make the mistake and end up in Poland !

Planning on being in Odessa 17th April to the 24th, then Nikolaev. I am finding lots to do in Odessa so I might
return for a week before leaving.

Can I use my ATM card in the Ukraine ? I was planning on taking some cash and using ATMs when I need cash.

Have not really planned much past the first 2 weeks. Figured I would just see where I end up.

Chat soon,
Robert

:welcome:   to the madhouse Forum, Robert!  I hope you enjoy this site - it should certainly give you most of the answers you seek.  My experience is far less than that of many others here, but hopefully I can help with some of the basics.

From your latest post I infer that you are actually travelling to Kharkiv (Kharkov) rather than Krakow, so that's a relief. 8)

You shouldn't have a problem using your credit card at ATMs, provided you tell your bank before you go that you will be in Ukraine.  I bank with an Australian bank, and had no trouble at all.  For cash, take clean, new, US Dollars (they won't accept Australian or New Zealand money in Ukraine).  Are you flying directly to Odessa, or travelling via Kyiv?  I found that the exchange rate at Boryspil airport was actually very close to that given by the money exchange kiosks in Kyiv city, so I would recommend changing enough at the airport to cover your running expenses for the first day or two, then using ATMs.

ATMs ("bankomat" in Russian or Ukrainian) are everywhere, but be aware that they will normally charge a local fee on top of whatever your own bank charges for a foreign currency transaction.  Rather than small sums every day, it may be better to change larger amounts less frequently.  It's a cash society, so EFTPOS is basically unknown.  Whatever you do, don't carry all your money all the time - leave what you don't need for the day (or evening) in your apartment or hotel safe, just in case you get your pocket picked or simply drop your wallet.  Simply be sensible - take the same precautions that you would on holiday anywhere.  Remember that most of the locals really are NOT out to "get the foreigner!"

The bus trip from Odessa to Nikolaev took about 2 hours 20 minutes when I was there two and a half years ago, and the fare was 46 UAH each way (about AUD 5.40), although I'm sure it will have gone up by now. ;D   The bus station is quite a long way from the city centre, though, so you will need to get another bus to get into the middle of town (probably another 2 or 3 UAH).

You wrote in your first post that you don't speak any Russian.  I recommend (although others may not) that you at least try to learn the alphabet, so that you have some idea of the street names on the signs when you get lost  >:D .  You don't need to remember what order the letters come in, just what they represent.  Also note that there are only four letters the same in both Russian and English - A, K, M and T.  O and E are sometimes the same, but other letters?  Never!  A few key phrases won't hurt, either - "Hello," "Goodbye," "Yes," "No," "Please," "Thank you," "Excuse me" and "Where's the toilet?" should cover most situations (as well as "I don't speak Russian").  Even if you have an interpreter with you there are times when you will be on your own. :'(

Whatever questions you have, this is the place to ask.  Enjoy your trip.  :clapping:

Offline zengeek

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 07:11:42 AM »
Regarding ATM, I have read somewhere that some ATMs in Ukraine could be 'rigged'.  If you are a victim of that, you may see a large overseas withdrawal from your account after the trip.  It will be a lot of hassle to get the money back if at all possible.

That happened to me once, when I used a Mexico ATM,  and it was a lot of hassle but fortunately I convinced the bank to credit me back the money. I was lucky.

From what I have read in other travel forums (or here, I don't remember exactly). UkrEximBank and PromInvestBank should be reliable ATMs.  Maybe there are more I just don't know about them.  Maybe other forum members can share their experience too?

Thanks, -Z

Offline Shadow

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2013, 08:23:15 AM »

Regarding ATM, I have read somewhere that some ATMs in Ukraine could be 'rigged'.  If you are a victim of that, you may see a large overseas withdrawal from your account after the trip.  It will be a lot of hassle to get the money back if at all possible.

That happened to me once, when I used a Mexico ATM,  and it was a lot of hassle but fortunately I convinced the bank to credit me back the money. I was lucky.

From what I have read in other travel forums (or here, I don't remember exactly). UkrEximBank and PromInvestBank should be reliable ATMs.  Maybe there are more I just don't know about them.  Maybe other forum members can share their experience too?

Thanks, -Z

Any ATM can be rigged, it does not depend on the bank (at least hopefully not).
Your ATM card has a magnetic code, and when you type your PIN it combines with the code to verify your identity in order to approve the withdrawal.
To rig an ATM the criminals place a reader over the card entry which duplicates the magnetic code, and place a camera somewhere that records your PIN entry.

Then all they need is to write your code on to a new card, enter your PIN and they can withdraw any sum that your bank allows.

Because of this, most banks in Europe now have a picture of how the card entry is supposed to look fixed on the ATM, with a warning to inform the bank if you see anything suspicious.

Offline ML

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2013, 09:34:02 AM »
Any ATM can be rigged, it does not depend on the bank (at least hopefully not).
Your ATM card has a magnetic code, and when you type your PIN it combines with the code to verify your identity in order to approve the withdrawal.
To rig an ATM the criminals place a reader over the card entry which duplicates the magnetic code, and place a camera somewhere that records your PIN entry.

That is last century stuff Shadow.  For several years the fraud has taken place WITHIN the banks themselves.  The computer jocks that work for the banks abstract all the numbers and codes from your card when you perform a transaction. 

They then sell that info to others who take blank cards and clone the cards with all your info . . . and then use cards as quickly as possible to draw down as much money as they can from your account before bells go off.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline ML

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2013, 09:37:16 AM »
Hi there! You have to be really careful with that, as it does sound similar. I had a situation once, a guy didn't check his ticket, as somebody else booked it for him. So he arrived in Krakov (Poland) and was waiting for me to meet him at the airport. It took me lots of patience to find out that he was in Poland, but not Ukraine. So, it is not a joke, it happens ;)

It is always dangerous to let others book anything for you.

Just last month, a colleague of mine let her secretary book her to Greenville, North Carolina.  Not until arrival did she learn that she was in Greenville, South Carolina.

Offline Shadow

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2013, 09:57:43 AM »
That is last century stuff Shadow.  For several years the fraud has taken place WITHIN the banks themselves.  The computer jocks that work for the banks abstract all the numbers and codes from your card when you perform a transaction. 

They then sell that info to others who take blank cards and clone the cards with all your info . . . and then use cards as quickly as possible to draw down as much money as they can from your account before bells go off.
Still happens in Holland and Belgium, so I am sure it can happen in Ukraine as well.
Your method is of course more lucrative, but needs someone with access inside the bank. Apart from that they would not need to wait for any transaction to happen as they could simply take the codes there is the matter of encryption and separated data streams.
One would expect the traffic from and to the ATM to be encrypted with a 512-btye code and random SALT. This would require a pretty high knowledge of the design of the bank system to crack as a 'simple' computer jock would not be able to decode the data.
My method on the other hand can be started with a $100 investment by anyone who can read the internet....

Offline Gator

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2013, 02:17:57 PM »

Just last month, a colleague of mine let her secretary book her to Greenville, North Carolina.  Not until arrival did she learn that she was in Greenville, South Carolina.

Jimmy Valvano experienced that one 30 years ago.

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2013, 05:03:49 PM »
It is always dangerous to let others book anything for you.

Just as well the secretary doesn't come from Paris (Texas), Moscow (Idaho and allegedly 26 other states) or Rome (Georgia or New York) >:D

Offline Muzh

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2013, 10:36:01 AM »

Just as well the secretary doesn't come from Paris (Texas), Moscow (Idaho and allegedly 26 other states) or Rome (Georgia or New York) >:D

Heh, the only airport in Rome, NY is an Airforce base. I would advice against making any connecting flights there.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541375
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 1329
Most Online Ever: 12701