It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: FOR HISTORY BUFFS  (Read 118580 times)

Offline SANDRO43

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
FOR HISTORY BUFFS
« on: March 08, 2017, 12:24:01 PM »
For those interested in history: I just uploaded to my website a new page on The Royal Navy of Sailing Ships (http://www.floriani.it/RoyalNavy-eng.htm).

Comments are welcome ;).
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 12:26:35 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
FOR HISTORY BUFFS
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 03:26:02 PM »
How interesting ! I was on a narrow boat at the weekend and my host found out I had been interested in WWII naval battles and NEARLY joined the RN ....   

He told me that Italian Warships were much under-rated ..

Re The St Paddy's Cross ... That forms the thin red diagonals in the Union Flag ( Union Jack ) ..

As an Ulster, Protestant we are taught the 'origins' of the flag from a sl.different perspective that my friends who would have attended a RC school :)

This Wki article is quite good :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Patrick's_Saltire

Offline SANDRO43

FOR HISTORY BUFFS
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 04:05:49 PM »
He told me that Italian Warships were much under-rated ..
Italy had a very nice fleet in WWII, one of the problems was that most Navy officers were more devout to the King than to Mussolini - since they mostly came from noble, affluent families (I remember my father telling me he had considered joining the Navy at first, but the family was put off by the cost of kitting up for it, so he went to the Air Force instead) - and were reluctant to engage our fleet in important operations.

When they did on 27-29 March 1941 off Cape Matapan, after the disastrous raid on Taranto on 11-12 November 1940, they were trounced by the British fleet from Alexandria, mostly thanks to 2 facts:

- Lack of radar.
- Wireless intercepts.

The latter fact came out only in 1973, when the Official Secrets Act on Ultra had expired. While preparing the mission to pounce on British ships off Crete, the Navy had asked for Luftwaffe coverage giving details of the plan.

The back-and-forth of these messages had been intercepted and decoded, so Admiral Cunningham could organise his own pouncing ;D, and did.

The result was: 1 battleship damaged, 3 cruisers and 2 destroyers sunk. British losses were the crew of 3 on a torpedo bomber, against 2,331 Italian dead and 1,163 rescued and made prisoners :(.

Laudable feats of arms were performed by much smaller Navy units like submarines and 'human torpedoes'.

The SLA (slow-running torpedo), a.k.a. Maiale (Pig)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 04:11:42 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
FOR HISTORY BUFFS
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 07:26:43 PM »
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline SANDRO43

FOR HISTORY BUFFS
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 07:12:20 PM »
For those interested in the subject: I have added information on the RN Naval Command and Civil Administration Organisations, and other details and images (http://www.floriani.it/RoyalNavy-eng.htm).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 07:14:15 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

Re: FOR HISTORY BUFFS
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 06:10:01 PM »
Link to a post from 4 years ago on an interesting archeological find in Southern Turkey: http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=16469.msg348118#msg348118

The hillock includes two settlement phases dating back to the 10th-8th millennium BC.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 06:34:45 AM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 10:28:07 PM »
More for history buffs -

The invention of the wheel was so challenging that it probably happened only once, in one place. However, from that place, it seems to have spread so rapidly across Eurasia and the Middle East that experts cannot say for sure where it originated. The earliest images of wheeled carts have been excavated in Poland and elsewhere in the Eurasian steppes, and this region is overtaking Mesopotamia (present-day Iraq) as the wheel's most likely birthplace. According to Asko Parpola, an Indologist at the University of Helsinki in Finland, there are linguistic reasons to believe the wheel originated with the Tripolye people of modern-day Ukraine. That is, the words associated with wheels and wagons derive from the language of that culture.

Parpola thinks miniature models of wheeled wagons, which are commonly found in the Eurasian steppes, likely predated human-scale wagons. "It is … striking that so many models were made in the Tripolye culture. Such models are often thought to have been children's toys, but it seems more likely to me that they were miniature counterparts of real things," he said. "The primacy of the miniature models is suggested by the fact that wheeled images of animals even come from native Indian cultures of Central America, where real wheels were never made."

http://www.livescience.com/18808-invention-wheel.html
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 10:50:20 PM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 09:48:32 AM »
Gaggia: Espressos and Modern Cappuccinos

On 5 September 1938, Milan coffee bartender Achille Gaggia (born 1895) files patent #365726 for a steam-free coffee machine, heralding the modern age of espresso. Unlike its predecessors, Gaggia's design uses a revolutionary piston mechanism which forces water through the coffee grounds at high pressure – it takes 15 seconds to produce a single espresso shot. It's believed the idea for the piston mechanism came to Gaggia after he observed the engine of an American army jeep which used a hydraulic system.

Gaggia’s first espresso maker for home-use is called the GILDA. The story goes that Achille Gaggia named it after seeing 1946 film noir classic Gilda, starring glamorous Hollywood actress Rita Hayworth.

Gaggia's Gilda (1948, for  home use), Classic (1949, for bar use)

http://www.gaggia.com/n-m-co/espresso/the-story,
http://www.orphanespresso.com/1948-Gaggia-Gilda-Design-Study_ep_616-1.html, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaggia
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Gator

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2017, 01:22:10 PM »

When traveling in Italy in the 1970s, I stopped in one railway station, an old one and I forget the city.  I ordered an espresso at a coffee bar, and my waiter used a very old looking machine, and made a cup.  The lever to move the piston was almost a meter in length, repeat a meter!  This machine looked like it could have been one of the first ever made.   Delicious, yet I preferred Turkish-style preparation which probably predated Columbus. 

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2017, 06:32:14 PM »

1946 film noir classic Gilda, starring glamorous Hollywood actress Rita Hayworth.

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2017, 06:34:32 PM »
I preferred Turkish-style preparation which probably predated Columbus.
Of course it did, by hundreds of years: our word 'coffee' derives from the name of the mountain plateau Kingdom of Kaffa (ca. 1390–1897), later a province of Southern Ethiopia including Sidamo, Kaffa, Arsi and Harar, a region which is considered its original home, and later from Arabic قهوة (Qahuwa, meaning "wine of the bean") - given it by appreciative Yemen Sufis, who seems used it to remain awake during their extended hours of prayer :D - and from Turkish kahve.

The first person known to write about coffee was a Persian physician and philosopher named Rhazes or Razi (850 to 922 AD), who characterized it as a medicine. He described a beverage called bunchum, prepared with an infusion of a fruit called bunn - the Ethiopian name for a coffee cherry.

By the 16th century, it had reached the rest of the Middle East, South India, Persia, Turkey, Horn of Africa, and northern Africa. Coffee then spread to the Balkans, Italy and to the rest of Europe, to Indonesia and then to America.

For a long time it was prepared as a water infusion - much like tea is prepared - of ground roasted beans. Then the Napoletana coffee pot used drip brewing, and the later Moka moderate steam extraction:

Napoletana - Moka

Bar espresso machines use hot, high pressure steam extraction.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 06:54:10 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 11:08:34 AM »
I have added to my page (http://www.floriani.it/RoyalNavy-eng.htm) additional information on Ship Medical Facilities, Navigation, Communications and Mastery of the Seas ;).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Gator

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 11:54:18 AM »
For those who like maps and are intrigued by the CIA (20thC history)

http://www.cia.gov/news-information/featured-story-archive/2016-featured-story-archive/mapmakers-craft.html

[I attempted to copy early image of Laos showing "rebels" but the spooks redirected it.] 

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 11:57:53 AM by Gator »

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 12:03:56 PM »
Yes, their notice says:

CIA Site Redirect
CIA.gov has changed its Web address . . .
 CIA.gov is now encrypted, except for our Electronic Reading Room, to assure visitor confidentiality.
As a result, the Web address for pages and documents in our site has changed from http: to https:

A belated reaction to RUS hackers ;D?
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline msmob

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 06:55:13 PM »
Phil !

I spoke to a 'Russian hacker' and the devilish chap 'cracked' the encryption  :D

Take this link below- DO NOT click on it - ( or right mouse click it - Windows - and copy link address ) copy and paste it ..into your browser and add in an 's' after the http .. you will see your image of the map of Laos !!

What is interesting - is that if I paste the PROPER url - it removes the s -  back to http ( minus ) the s ? !!

http://www.cia.gov/news-information/featured-story-archive/2016-featured-story-archive/images/cartography/President_Kennedy_1961_CIA_map.jpg/image.jpg

« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:09:13 PM by msmob »

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 07:23:23 PM »
For those who may be interested: I have added much additional information and many other images to my page on the Royal Navy of Sailing Ships (http://www.floriani.it/RoyalNavy-eng.htm).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline msmob

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 08:47:52 PM »
Thanks, Sandro

Poor 'ol Admiral Byng ((

He was buried in the church yard of the neighbouring village to mine in Bedfordshire. His story got me interested in sailing and ships

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2017, 04:36:14 PM »
A new page for those interested in sailing ships - a glossary of their mysterious terminology ;):

Most entries have a link (blue) to a related image.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 04:16:41 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline msmob

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2017, 03:34:25 AM »
A new page for those interested in sailing ships - a glossary of their mysterious terminology ;):

Most entries have a link (blue) to a related image.

Thank you Sandro !

I like the terms for sail settings - like Goose Wing - for when you are sailing dead down wind and the sails are set either side - not as easy to maintain as it sounds....

The Russians call this Butterfly !

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2017, 05:08:45 AM »
We, too: vele a farfalla. Rarely used if you have a spinnaker, though ;).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline msmob

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2017, 05:31:12 AM »
We, too: vele a farfalla. Rarely used if you have a spinnaker, though ;).

Thanks ! I like to know the different sailing terms from other languages ;)

When sailing with SC - spinnakers would get in the way of sunbathing... 

Offline ML

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2017, 08:34:02 AM »
Thank you Sandro !

I like the terms for sail settings - like Goose Wing - for when you are sailing dead down wind and the sails are set either side - not as easy to maintain as it sounds....

Is the Venus Butterfly used in sailing ?
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2017, 06:41:40 PM »
Is the Venus Butterfly used in sailing ?

Only when the autopilot is on - and far from the madding crowd!  :devil:

Offline msmob

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2017, 10:50:23 PM »
Hmm, butterfly on autopilot .....almost certain c.interuptus :(

Far better on another head ing

Offline SANDRO43

Tech Update
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 11:15:03 AM »
For members who may have similar problems with their websites.

I was not really happy with showing images from my Nautical Glossary (http://www.floriani.it/NauticalGlossary-eng.htm) in a separate page :(.

After battling unsuccessfully with Javascript and JQuery for a week >:(, I stumbled across Lightbox by Lokesh Dhakar, a nifty, small script of 13 Kb :o that does a quick and efficient job of opening a pop-up window within the Glossary page, containing the desired image in its original size.

A newer version (Lightbox2) can be downloaded from http://lokeshdhakar.com/projects/lightbox2/.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 11:22:10 AM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541009
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1867
Total: 1878

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM