It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Crimea Travel Issues  (Read 12828 times)

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Crimea Travel Issues
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2016, 02:17:39 AM »
JayH

1/ The Black Sea can freeze in Crimea - so how would you claim Crimea temps were not 'extreme' ? If water freezes in cracks - it expands and breaks up the road further ...

2/ look at the blue line .... 4 months below zero degrees centigrade ..

Always a fan of your accurate knowledge of these parts
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline JayH

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2016, 02:33:55 AM »
Crimea is the most temperate region of Ukraine-- so noticebly milder in winter compared to say-Kyiv.
Without checking-- maybe 5-7C warmer at depth of cold. It also has a shorter colder weather period ie-- spring and autumn are warmer in  periods closest to summer.
I have seen people mention the Black Sea freezing--but have not seen a report of that recently-particularly as far south a Sevastopol.
So if you compare  Sevastopol temps to Kyiv --it is noticeable difference,
Odessa which is further north-- is also more moderate than Kyiv.

Sevastopl numbers

http://www.worldweatheronline.com/sevastopol-weather-averages/sevastopol/ua.aspx

Kyiv numbers

http://www.worldweatheronline.com/kiev-weather-averages/kyyivska-oblast/ua.aspx
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 02:38:06 AM by JayH »
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2016, 02:48:38 AM »
Crimea is the most temperate region of Ukraine-- so noticebly milder in winter compared to say-Kyiv.
Without checking-- maybe 5-7C warmer at depth of cold. It also has a shorter colder weather period ie-- spring and autumn are warmer in  periods closest to summer.
I have seen people mention the Black Sea freezing--but have not seen a report of that recently-particularly as far south a Sevastopol.
So if you compare  Sevastopol temps to Kyiv --it is noticeable difference,
Odessa which is further north-- is also more moderate than Kyiv.

Sevastopl numbers

http://www.worldweatheronline.com/sevastopol-weather-averages/sevastopol/ua.aspx

Kyiv numbers

http://www.worldweatheronline.com/kiev-weather-averages/kyyivska-oblast/ua.aspx

JayH, the Azov Sea freezes much more regularly .... a quick check of the map will show Crimea's NE aspect marks it border....

To ME ...the seas freezing IS extreme ...
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline The Natural

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2016, 04:01:03 AM »

Spend money on that while Crimean infrastructure falls apart.Pipes failing ,people only able to drink imported bottled water etc.

Take a look at the photo of the bottle of water which is processed in Crimea.
btw--the road  from Feodosiya to Simferopal  was always in good condition-as were many Crimean roads.Ironically-- for the same reason that the re-surfacing above is being done-it was the military base of the USSR and the Crimean roads were the best in Ukraine,with even lightly used obscure roads in good surface condition.

They say here that the roads in Crimea were hardly maintained during the Ukrainian years up until now and that they were the worst roads in Ukraine. They just filled in some potholes here and there.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 04:06:55 AM by The Natural »

Offline JayH

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2016, 07:16:55 PM »
Why any sane western person would want to go to the Crimea in the current circumstances is beyond me-there should be enough awareness of the politics that should say-stay away.
While the Ukrainian visitors are now a trickle compared to just a few years ago-- one wonders why the Russians are staying away ! After a disastrous last 2 years for Crimean business's this year is shaping up to be even worse.

In Yalta everything well, but no people

translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2016, 11:20:06 PM »
Why any sane western person would want to go to the Crimea in the current circumstances is beyond me-

Perhaps they have loved ones there .....

In Yalta everything well, but no people

Whilst I have no doubt tourism has been down - lack of Ukrainians - I've now seen western newspapers run articles on Sochi ''falling into decay and dirty / empty beaches '' - using photos - taken just after huge storms and flooding ..

« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:49:14 PM by msmobyone »

Offline JayH

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2016, 11:39:14 PM »
Perhaps they have loved ones there .....

Whilst I have do doubt tourism has been down - lack of Ukrainians - I've now seen western newspapers run articles on Sochi ''falling into decay and dirty / empty beaches '' - using photos - taken just after huge storms and flooding ..

The problems on the Crimea are well covered( and not in western media) .
Really-- it is not a pro Rus horse you can push.Fact is the Russian occupiers have destroyed business's ,spent zip all on basic maintainence issues( other than those connected to the military).destroyed the tourist trade that was the lifeblood of the Crimea.
Any comparisons with Sochi are a joke--zillions spent there to showcase the outrageous of Russia,
Many of the people going from Russia are being sent on "holiday" there by command ! Not exactly the previous demographic of Crimean tourists.
Time to wake up.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 11:44:35 PM by JayH »

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2016, 12:00:42 AM »

Really-- it is not a pro Rus horse you can push.

I was 'pushing' the necessity to post facts - not misleading images - irrespective of one's viewpoint ... Are you suggesting I'm a 'fan' of Kremlin policy towards Ukraine, now ?

Now, you asked what 'sane person would visit'..... I would .... to visit friends ... I visit the 'Turkish zone' of Cyprus and Russia..... it does not mean I have to be a supporter of their policies.... a little like visiting the USA - if Trump was President ...

Any comparisons with Sochi are a joke--zillions spent there to showcase the outrageous of Russia

I readily concede that the Billions spent will never show much return on investment while tourists don't come to Sochi...   but I'm happy to benefit from it's facilities - as are the locals and Russian tourists -who aren't ordered to come - indeed that might choose it over Crimea.....

Many of the people going from Russia are being sent on "holiday" there by command ! Not exactly the previous demographic of Crimean tourists.
Time to wake up.

You may be referring to the top heavy public sector employees and discounted air fares ...   

I'm quite aware Ukrainians don't go there... but - once again - I was pointing out how it is not just only Russian media that is selective when trying to prove a point ......

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2016, 11:12:41 PM »
Once again JayH pollutes a thread with an off topic cut and paste...

Don't be lazy - start a new thread. ''more bad news for Crimea'', or similar

THIS thread is all about mariedman's assertion that he can fly to Crimea via an international airport outside Russia - specifically Turkey - which was one of the first to suspend flights...

Offline AkMike

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2016, 06:23:47 AM »
Look again Moby, the title is "Crimean travel issues".. Crazy Ivan driving is part of travel.

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2016, 07:50:10 AM »
Once again JayH pollutes a thread with an off topic cut and paste...

Yeah, gotta mark his territory I guess..

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2016, 06:53:13 AM »
Look again Moby, the title is "Crimean travel issues".. Crazy Ivan driving is part of travel.

Mikey,

''well done''

I referred to the 'relevance' of JayH's ''In Yalta everything well, but no people'' ..

Do TRY to keep up ...

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541008
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1861
Total: 1872

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM