It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Pushkov Mocks U.S. in Wake of Deadly Navy Yard Shooting  (Read 9691 times)

Offline Muzh

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Pushkov Mocks U.S. in Wake of Deadly Navy Yard Shooting
« on: September 17, 2013, 11:47:16 AM »
17 September 2013 | Issue 5215
The Moscow Times

Head of the State Duma's Foreign Affairs Committee Alexei Pushkov has mocked a deadly shooting in Washington on Monday, producing an outcry over his comments in the U.S.

Thirteen people were killed and eight were injured in a mass shooting at the Navy Yard, a secure military complex in in the U.S. capital, leading authorities to lock down part of the city.

The shooter was identified as 34-year old Aaron Alexis after being killed in a gunfight with police. He was a former Navy reservist who had access to the facility in his role as an IT contractor. Police initially reported that he had acted with an accomplice, but by Monday evening they confirmed that Alexis was a lone gunman, The Associated Press reported.

The motives behind the killing remain unclear. U.S. President Barack Obama called the shooting a "cowardly act" and declared a mourning that will last through Friday.

While many politicians around the world expressed their condolences over the shooting, Pushkov called the attack an example of "American exceptionalism."

"A new shootout at Navy headquarters in Washington — a lone gunman and 7 corpses. Nobody's even surprised anymore. A clear confirmation of American exceptionalism,'" he wrote on Twitter.

He went on, saying "The U.S.A. should part with the notion of American exceptionalism. It contradicts the principles of equal rights and smells of political racism."

Pushkov's comments on American-centric worldviews echoed those that President Vladimir Putin voiced in a The New York Times op-ed last week.

In a piece dedicated to avoiding military intervention in Syria, Putin called the idea "dangerous" and implicitly criticized a recent Obama speech that claimed the U.S. commitment to respond to a chemical attack in the Middle Eastern country was what made his nation exceptional.

Pushkov, who apparently has been facing severe backlash over his comments, later wrote that "the torrent of hate towards us from American citizens is staggering."

The U.S. Embassy in Moscow also responded to Pushkov directly on Twitter, saying, "What is exceptional here? Why use a tragedy to score political points?"

Pushkov continued to criticize the U.S. government, however, noting that there was a “new wave” of anti-war sentiment among the American population and a “distrust of those who call for war.” Obama clearly didn’t expect such a turn of events,” he wrote.

Later, he said that between 300,000 and 400,000 people had died in Iraq since 2003, adding that “such a high price comes from external interference.”

Pushkov’s last comment seemed to be a warning against a U.S. military strike in Syria, something U.S. and Russian officials have been butting heads over for several weeks now.

The Moscow Times
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

lordtiberius

Re: Pushkov Mocks U.S. in Wake of Deadly Navy Yard Shooting
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 12:25:54 PM »
As Fathertime has written on a different thread, our media is willfully lying to us.  They said there was 3 shooters, then 2, then 1.  We don't know who the victims are or what his motivations are - or how the politicians will spin it for gain.

These Russian politicians like to kick their opponents when they are down.  I say ignore it.  Its just words and they will get theirs soon enough

Thank you for bringing it up

Offline Muzh

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 12:58:59 PM »
As Fathertime has written on a different thread, our media is willfully lying to us.  They said there was 3 shooters, then 2, then 1.  We don't know who the victims are or what his motivations are - or how the politicians will spin it for gain.

These Russian politicians like to kick their opponents when they are down.  I say ignore it.  Its just words and they will get theirs soon enough

Thank you for bringing it up

Who's down?
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 01:10:17 PM »
What a tragedy!  :(

I'm sort of glad however no one has turned in their 'race card' with this sad event unlike we witnessed with the Martin/Zimmerman trial.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

lordtiberius

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 01:15:15 PM »

I'm sort of glad however no one has turned in their 'race card' with this sad event unlike we witnessed with the Martin/Zimmerman trial.

:D

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 01:40:35 PM »

You know, if Obama had a son he would look like Aaron Alexis  ;D

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 02:36:05 PM »
Well, FWIW, I would have you two know, for the record, that Zimmerman is no more, or less, 'white' than Obama.

That one really had me in stitches for a while actually.

I think if nothing else, maybe because of the American media or even our esteemed Capitol Hill talking heads, lately it seems we had all become 'exceptionally' confused, for lack of a better term and originality.

I'm just not too sure if *we* are the fcuk-ups in this society or they are. The stranger things begin to happen to all of us, the more 'normal' Palin & Pelosi is fast-becoming.

:-X
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 02:40:17 PM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 06:47:15 PM »
As Fathertime has written on a different thread, our media is willfully lying to us.  They said there was 3 shooters, then 2, then 1.

No, lordtiberius, they weren't lying to you this time.  They were simply reporting what they had been told by the Police - which changed as more information became available.

Offline TS

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 08:18:48 AM »
Media speculates on events as if they say something wrong nothing usually happens.  If they don't say anything, someone will take their job.  Facts are rarely checked anymore.  I think on yahoo it went from 3 to 13 dead all within 30 minutes. 
Having worked for a company that sells products to the department defense you will find most military areas are not very secure.  If someone wants to take a gun and is a trained killer and goes to shoot someone, they will more than likely kill.
USA as a whole is very strong military but random killings are easy to execute on the USA military.  You are going to see more and more of this. 

lordtiberius

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 08:39:31 AM »

No, lordtiberius, they weren't lying to you this time.  They were simply reporting what they had been told by the Police - which changed as more information became available.

Hmm, how come I don't see this headline: 13 Dead because of Angry Black man?  or Obama supporter Kills but you can use this an excuse to take our guns away from us despite the Colorado recalls?

Media speculates on events as if they say something wrong nothing usually happens.  If they don't say anything, someone will take their job.  Facts are rarely checked anymore.  I think on yahoo it went from 3 to 13 dead all within 30 minutes. 
Having worked for a company that sells products to the department defense you will find most military areas are not very secure.  If someone wants to take a gun and is a trained killer and goes to shoot someone, they will more than likely kill.
USA as a whole is very strong military but random killings are easy to execute on the USA military.  You are going to see more and more of this.

+1000

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 09:37:18 AM »

Too many news outlets are relying on social media to report it first and rarely are any facts checked. More and more they are initially wrong but, it doesn't bother them. They simply report over it with more inaccuracies. More of the disinformation of the internet and of the day

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 10:13:06 AM »
Alexei Pushkov: Many quickly run him down as clown who ran his mouth, or in this case his tweet, too quickly.

I cannot defend the timing nor specificity of his comments, which strike me as very low class. This is a man with a PhD in History, a member of the World Economic Forum in Davos, and a founding member of the current incarnation of the very Western oriented and American-friendly news/opinion organization Moscow News.

You may be surprised to learn that historically Pushkov has been pro-American and pro-Western over much of his career and his change in tone in part reflects the failure of the "reset" between the Putin and Obama administrations. It also reflects his disappointment with Washington's definition of "democracy" and "capitalism" during the early years following the collapse of the Soviet Union.

I share his dissatisfaction on both those issues during that time period and am ashamed of my government's focus on rape and pillage, both the USA and the UK might as well have been Oligarchs at the time, under the thin veil of helping introduce capitalism at a time when many Russians were literally starving.

Even so, at times he has been very pro-Amercan and pro-British. He is well connected, having served on the US editorial board of National Interest magazine (Nixon Center), served on the staff of the UN in Geneva, was a speechwriter for Mikhail Gorbachev and for almost two decades was on the editorial board of Foreign Policy magazine in Washington (Carnegie Foundation).

While not a member of Putin's United Russia party, he caucuses with it and chairs the Foreign Affairs committee in the Duma, a very influential position.

He speaks fluent Russian, French, Chinese and English and his daughter Daria heads the London bureau of Russia Today TV. Pushkov is a television journalist and well liked.

I knew something was up with Pushkov when during the Snowden affair he tweeted that Edward Snowden should marry Anna Chapman. When she responded positively, presumably without ever meeting Snowden, then my curiosity really peaked as their collaboration was possibly not accidental.

He is not just another outspoken nutcase, but he is outspoken.

Do I agree with his tweeted comments? No

Do I excuse his tweeted comments? No

Do I apologize for his tweeted comments? No, he would do well to offer this himself.

Do I understand some of the underlying frustrations which may have contributed to his ill-advised comments? Yes

Postscript:

You can hear his comments on Western relations and Syria made in London at the Russian Embassy from December 2012 at this link: http://voiceofrussia.com/uk/2012_11_28/Duma-Pushkov-Magnitsky-Litvinenko-Pussy-Riot-Syria/
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline Boethius

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 11:35:11 AM »
Too many news outlets are relying on social media to report it first and rarely are any facts checked. More and more they are initially wrong but, it doesn't bother them. They simply report over it with more inaccuracies. More of the disinformation of the internet and of the day

I think a lot of it is the 24 hour news cycle.  CNN, Fox, MSNBC, etc., need to fill air time. 
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

lordtiberius

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 12:05:16 PM »
He can make it all go away by saying two words: "I'm sorry.'  Will he?   ;D

get yourself a snickers . . .

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 12:15:44 PM »
Rarely is it a need to fill time. Most producers work off the idea, taken from ratings data, that the average viewer stays for around 20 +/- minutes so their idea is to repeat stories 3 times per hour at minimum. Journalists get very frustrated when they file a good piece that took time to research, interview and produce only to have it edited to a soundbite at best, or worse if it never runs at all because some breaking story is being beat into the ground back at the network.

Often some of the best work from a foreign bureau is buried in some weekly magazine run at 5am on Sunday when everyone is asleep if that story isn't part of the fad of the hour back home.

To add insult to injury, stations and networks like to air little "human interest" pieces under the impression, misguided in my opinion, that viewers stay for those little tidbits about somebody's cat, etc. Those take anywhere from 20 seconds to a couple minutes at some local stations, time that could be used for real reporting.

I run a 24/7 closed circuit feed from CBS in my office and you would be astounded at the stories that are fed to editors/producers, often with top notch reporting, and those stories never see the light of day because some 28 year old pimple faced idiot kid editor finds it uninteresting and never submits it to producers.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 12:16:39 PM »
He can make it all go away by saying two words: "I'm sorry.'  Will he?

He won't. Better buy more than one case of snickers. If Snickers had a sugar free version I'd join you.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 12:18:55 PM »
Mendy, CNN was mocked by The Daily Show just last night for their speculation on various issues on the navy shooting.  It was clear those were done to fill air time.  This blog has all three clips:
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/trending/VIDEO-Jon-Stewart-calls-out-CNN-again-for-their-crappy-tragedy-coverage.html

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 12:50:21 PM »
Bo, with all the resources at CNN this boiled down to immature producers running all angles of their breaking story. Had they wanted to mix in content from other subject matter, it would have been readily available. True that an increase in African wheat yields isn't as sexy as the square footage of the Navy building, but the networks are afraid to break away from such a story because they know full well that the competition is covering it too and nobody wants to be talking about the results from a new Leukemia study when the other guys are watching helicopters hovering above a shooting scene.

And so, they set other stories aside and babble on.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 01:06:35 PM »

I think a lot of it is the 24 hour news cycle.  CNN, Fox, MSNBC, etc., need to fill air time.

Kind'a like Mendy pointed out Boe, there is plenty of news to fill a 24 hour cycle for all news outlets. That is not a problem at all. It's the obsession of having it first, that the credibility of sources is not a high priority. Also, for most "use to be" serious and prestigious news outlets, pop culture rather than serious news takes top billing.

A couple of years ago (they may still be doing it) Shock Jock Howard Stern had his cronies attempting to inject themselves into serious news stories and at some point saying "Bobalouie". It was surprisingly easy for them to do. They punked almost all of the NY based major networks. They would show up on the scene of the news or be a caller on the phone to the networks. It actually was quite funny.

lordtiberius

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 03:22:41 PM »
He won't. Better buy more than one case of snickers. If Snickers had a sugar free version I'd join you.

such a civilized bunch . . . they get along with those other great authors of civilization - Darius, Cyrus, Mao and Chow Yun Fat . . .

proud to be an American - even with this lead weight President

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541008
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1882
Total: 1893

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM