It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Free Speech, Putin, and our lapdog media  (Read 9910 times)

lordtiberius

Free Speech, Putin, and our lapdog media
« on: October 14, 2013, 09:24:10 AM »
Is it ever ok to kill journalists?

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Free Speech, Putin, and our lapdog media
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 09:46:20 AM »
No.

But sometimes you do wish it was...

A case in point: Did you know that NBC edited out a 911 dispatch exchange between George Zimmerman during that fateful night before Trayvon Martin died?

Apparently NBC wanted to change this tragedy into something racial when they purposely edited a transcript of that exchange. it went something like this (paraphrased):

Zimmerman: I'm following a suspicious character inside the complex who's just walking around in the rain. He looks like he's up to no good.

911 Dispatcher: Can you tell if the person is white, latino, or black?

Zimmerman: He looks like he's black

In reporting the exchange, NBC omitted that 911 dispatch question to make it look like Zimmerman immediately concluded the character is a black person because who looked like he's up to no good.

John Stossel had a show last night dealing with, and titled as: Selling Victimhood. You should Google it to see much more silliness our media had been plaguing our society lately. He covered everything from bad reporters, to SNAP recipients buying lobster in supermarkets, to folks receiving government assistance who admits they don't really need, to the evils of Affirmative Actions, etc

Matter of fact, here's a good blog regarding this hot topic in our society today.

http://deneenborelli.com/tag/selling-victimhood/

Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Shadow

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 11:13:39 AM »
How about if the journalist is a convicted murderer?
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

lordtiberius

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 11:30:13 AM »
How about if the journalist is a convicted murderer?

good follow up, but let's exclude that scenario.  The journalists are just doing their job.  Maybe they aren't doing their job right, but just doing their job.

lordtiberius

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 11:33:02 AM »
Blues, thank you for your response.  what if I had a really good reason for killing journos like they are national security threats?

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 11:43:17 AM »
...what if I had a really good reason for killing journos like they are national security threats?

What if? Not sure where you're going with this. IMO, unless you are licensed and have federal clearance to snuff anyone out whom you have an ironclad justifiable reason to believe they are a threat to society, then I suppose you can in the execution of your sworn duty to protect your society.

1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline Shadow

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 12:12:43 PM »
good follow up, but let's exclude that scenario.  The journalists are just doing their job.  Maybe they aren't doing their job right, but just doing their job.
Anyone who does not do their job right deserves to be executed.  :P

Unsure where you are going but in case of journalists in Russia always keep in mind that they are usually doing more than one investigation, and Russia has loads of people who are NOT government that are far more inclined to kill a nosy journalist.

lordtiberius

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 12:18:20 PM »
What if? Not sure where you're going with this. IMO, unless you are licensed and have federal clearance to snuff anyone out whom you have an ironclad justifiable reason to believe they are a threat to society, then I suppose you can in the execution of your sworn duty to protect your society.

a federally licensed hitman working in the US, not entirely science fiction anymore is it?

Good follow up, is it ever moral to do that kind of work?  Judge Dread?

So say a federal licensed hit man kills Julian Assange, are you ok with that?

what do you think about people who are?

lordtiberius

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 12:21:55 PM »
Shadow, myself and a fellow traveller were discussing Putin, does Putin kill journalists?  who else would want journos dead?  I can't stand some in the media.  I want them unemployed but not dead, it strikes me as un-American, how about you?

Offline Shadow

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 12:31:27 PM »
Shadow, myself and a fellow traveller were discussing Putin, does Putin kill journalists?  who else would want journos dead?  I can't stand some in the media.  I want them unemployed but not dead, it strikes me as un-American, how about you?
I do not see Americans as a speical kind of people, there for their capabilities of mudering and silencing those in their way are equal to people elsewhere in the world.

Regarding Putin, it seems that for Western media every single journalist that dies or is injured in Russia has been handed it by Putin personally. The reality is very, very different. If you take the time to actually investigate the case you will find that the journalist in almost every case has been involved in research that brought them either near a criminal authority, or an extremist group. While Western media will dig for any single government-critical piece in order to point at Putin, the actual person that ordered the event is trying their very best to stay away from the same.

lordtiberius

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 12:53:35 PM »
Democratic peoples enjoy the fruits of liberty and therefore have an obligation to protect them and extend them when possible, do they not?

has Putin killed any of the 219 journalists killed since the fall of the Berlin Wall?  Did he kill Mendy's friend?

Offline Shadow

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 12:54:51 PM »
Democratic peoples enjoy the fruits of liberty and therefore have an obligation to protect them and extend them when possible, do they not?

has Putin killed any of the 219 journalists killed since the fall of the Berlin Wall?  Did he kill Mendy's friend?
Ask him.

lordtiberius

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 01:03:45 PM »
4th down, punt

Offline steveboy

• Commercial Member Restricted
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 01:09:34 PM »
I do not see Americans as a speical kind of people, there for their capabilities of mudering and silencing those in their way are equal to people elsewhere in the world.

Regarding Putin, it seems that for Western media every single journalist that dies or is injured in Russia has been handed it by Putin personally. The reality is very, very different. If you take the time to actually investigate the case you will find that the journalist in almost every case has been involved in research that brought them either near a criminal authority, or an extremist group. While Western media will dig for any single government-critical piece in order to point at Putin, the actual person that ordered the event is trying their very best to stay away from the same.

Well said :)

lordtiberius

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 01:46:12 PM »
Hendricks, your British, do you approve of the extrajudicial killing of journalists?

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 01:52:03 PM »
a federally licensed hitman working in the US, not entirely science fiction anymore is it?

Good follow up, is it ever moral to do that kind of work?  Judge Dread?

So say a federal licensed hit man kills Julian Assange, are you ok with that?

what do you think about people who are?

Your point in its entirety could boil down to one sector of the US. The military.

Is it OK for US military personnel (of any society) to kill another in the attempt to eliminate a threat to their respective society?

lordtiberius

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 02:16:36 PM »
 I am interested on your thoughts on the matter.

Offline CanadaMan

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 03:02:04 PM »

It's very simple to answer your question.

Journalists are no different from anyone else in our society.

If a journalist is carrying a weapon or using a weapon to harm a member or members of society then it would be OK to use force to subdue them. If the journalist is actually killing someone, then it would be "OK" to kill them.

If a journalist is writing/publishing something that someone else doesn't like,
it is not OK to kill them.

Bring them before the courts to silence or punish them, but do not kill them because of what they are communicating.

Offline steveboy

• Commercial Member Restricted
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 04:17:18 PM »
Hendricks, your British, do you approve of the extrajudicial killing of journalists?

Im sure the US has quietly killed many journalists in one way or another, didn't they kill several British journalists in Iraq with "Friendly fire" ??

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 04:47:00 PM »
what if I had a really good reason for killing journos like they are national security threats?
Time was when security threats - even if ill-perceived, e.g. the McCarthy trials  of the 1950s ;) - were at most jailed or ostracised, not snuffed out - how good would your reason be? Their using WMDs in their articles 8)?
Milan's "Duomo"

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 2258
Total: 2269

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM