It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Russia new law criminalizes insulting the State  (Read 1027 times)

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Russia new law criminalizes insulting the State
« on: March 07, 2019, 04:35:07 PM »
In one more sign of the tightening noose around freedom of speech, Russia's Duma or lower legislature had the third reading of a bill which criminalizes insulting the State.   It is expected to pass the upper house and be signed into law.   

Read about it below:

http://apnews.com/deee15f58b824168b9491ad068821605

Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Re: Russia new law criminalizes insulting the State
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 04:43:02 PM »
Some of those restrictions already exist in the EU, but in some EU states, individuals aren't given the option of removing materials before they are fined.  Sweden and Germany are the examples that are on the top of my head.  I'm not commenting on the law, just that there are different views on speech, even in democracies.

I think American concepts, and legal protections, of speech, are unique in the world.

This post was composed without the aid of google.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 06:25:45 PM »
there are different views on speech, even in democracies. I think American concepts, and legal protections, of speech, are unique in the world.
As a side note...
Unfortunately, the political polarization in the USA has become like a cold civil war.
The Democratic National Committee said Wednesday that "Fox News will not serve as a media partner for the 2020 Democratic primary debates."The organization cited recent reporting in The New Yorker about the mutually beneficial relationship between Fox and the Trump administration. DNC chair Tom Perez called it an "inappropriate relationship."The DNC has been in talks with many networks, including CNN and Fox, about holding primary season debates.The first debate will take place this June on NBC, MSNBC and Telemundo. The second debate will take place in July on CNN. Television partners for the remaining debates have yet to be announced.
http://www.cnn.com/2019/03/06/media/fox-news-democratic-debates/index.html
With possibly 20-30 potential Democrat candidates...what kind of primary debates are forthcoming? The usual liberal/'progressive' networks will be included. From the AP link above...
“There is no talk about censorship,” said Sergei Boyarsky, a deputy head of the Duma’s committee for information policies. “It doesn’t ban criticism of officials or expression of views and opinions that differ from the official line.”
  Then what does 'insulting the state' really mean? [Wasn't actually specified]

~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 08:06:11 PM »
Some of those restrictions already exist in the EU, but in some EU states, individuals aren't given the option of removing materials before they are fined.  Sweden and Germany are the examples that are on the top of my head.  I'm not commenting on the law, just that there are different views on speech, even in democracies.

I think American concepts, and legal protections, of speech, are unique in the world.

This post was composed without the aid of google.

Think Boethius is joking? Unfortunately she's correct. In much of the EU, in fact in the majority of the EU, insulting the state or leadership can result in a criminal charge with a fine or imprisonment.

http://www.euronews.com/2016/04/15/beyond-a-joke-7-countries-where-is-it-a-criminal-offence-to-insult-a-head-of

http://twitter.com/globalfreemedia/status/719836222701641728/photo/1

Offline msmob

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 08:07:52 PM »
I started a thread on this in  January.....

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=23451.msg502545#msg502545

Boethius

Could you please find us examples of sucj 'similar laws' in any EU state?

As I mentioned in January..one only  has to look at some of the laws introduced in the RF to realise the constitution is meaningless.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541299
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 3634
Most Online Ever: 12701