It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Home redecoration anxiety! She wants to "make changes".  (Read 11374 times)

Offline LatinSwede

Home redecoration anxiety! She wants to "make changes".
« on: June 13, 2006, 07:55:51 PM »
Perhaps I'm just an aging heavy metal kid, having trouble growing up.  My bachelor pad is just the way I like it, with my musical stuff all over the living room.  I've got 3 stereos (one just for spinning my records), lots of vinyl records, cassettes (my cassette racks go from the ceiling to the floor), CD's (6 racks on the wall and 2 towers full), and the rest of the living room walls are covered with music memorablelia. Most of my walls are covered with band posters, and special edition albums  that I had custom framed.  Oh! Did I mention I'm also an amateur musician?  Side by side, with my stereo cabinets are my amplifiers, guitars and basses (on stands). I've even got a little group on the side and we make our own songs.  Music has been a big part of my life for a very long time.  Visitors in my home have made comments ranging from "wow! You really like music", "It's like a rock music studio", and (my cousin) "oh my God!  It looks like a vampire lives here!"

It gets even better.  As you walk towards the back a nice image of a machine toting Al Pacino's (See Scarface) greets you with "Say Hello to my little friend".  In my bedroom (it's got a movie theme), most of the walls are covered with movie posters.  These are all guy movies!  Basically action/adventure/horror which includes 2 of Romero's classic works.  Not anybody can sleep with Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead over their bedside. ;D  I just added an Underworld poster the otherday.  While the lving room is full of music, the bedroom has 3 racks full of VHS, and a DVD collection.  If you're looking for a heartfelt love story, you'll be dissapointed.  Other than that, visting guest have a wide range of action, fantasy, martial arts, war flicks, ANIME, and some comedy.  If you want someting more "ethnic", I got Russian action/war/mafia movies, and some very bloody and violent movies from Japan.

In a nutshell, it's the ultimate Male Oasis.  This place has been like my own personal CBGB's I sleep in.  Now I've got to get ready for the Mrs who made it very clear she's going to make changes.  She told me she's going to give it "the lady's touch".  I've sent her pictures of my place from every different angle to give her a full view (the best I can with the camera) of where she's going.  She told me she's impressed, but doesn't want to live in a rock club.  By the way our musical tastes are as different as day and night as well. Hmm. Sometimes I have scary dreams that I'll wake up, and see nice floral arrangements, quilted patterns, pretty curtains.  On the other hand it's nice to have a real feminine lady.  If we were both the exactly the same it would get boring. 

Catzenmouse if you're reading this, you and your wife still got a chance to glimpse the ending glory days of my bachelor pad.  Just 3 more months before Ms Good Housheeping comes to take over.  No more throwing my jacket on the couch, peeing with the door open, walking in with my shoes on, or hiding from the daylight.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 08:24:49 PM by LatinSwede »

Offline Captmonk1

Re: Home redecoration anxiety! She wants to "make changes".
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2006, 08:07:30 PM »
Time to live the married life dude. 

Get busy being married or get busy being single.

It sounds like your place IS the awesome guy house but that's all over with now my friend.  :D   My best advise is to embrace it. I fought it for 6 months or so and now have given up. Two rooms are already painted and now searching for new bedroom furniture and paint for the bedroom.

The best thing and perhaps the only thing you can do now is pick out one room for you...game room...office or something if you can. Make that your "guy room". Most girls seem to allow one guy room in the house....mostly...  <---Aliens reference. 2 points for guessing who said it.

Brad

Offline LatinSwede

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006, 08:23:17 PM »
Now I live in a one bedroom,  After she gets here, my lease gets close to expiring.  We'll be looking for a decent 2 bedroom apartment.  We already agreed that I'm having the spare bedroom for my "boy things".  I take it the KISS magnets won't go on the refrigerator.

Offline ronin308

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2006, 08:30:20 PM »
Brad that'd be Newt.  Fortunately I don't have that much stuff so I won't have to go through much of that.

Offline PeeWee

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2006, 08:44:57 PM »
Now I live in a one bedroom,  After she gets here, my lease gets close to expiring.  We'll be looking for a decent 2 bedroom apartment.  We already agreed that I'm having the spare bedroom for my "boy things".  I take it the KISS magnets won't go on the refrigerator.

Everything in the house changes when the little woman moves here. I was thinking that I might rent an appartment when she turns up so that she can have her way with that place thus leaving my home in its pristine condition. Then, a year or so later, after she burns herself decorating self out then I move her on into the big house. I wonder if that would work?

peewee

Offline Turboguy

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2006, 09:54:26 PM »
Buy a bigger house with a game room and put your stuff there.   Being married and with a home decorated like that would be more than grounds for divorce. 

Offline PeeWee

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 11:27:03 PM »
Buy a bigger house with a game room and put your stuff there.   Being married and with a home decorated like that would be more than grounds for divorce. 

I don't know, Turbo, I've seen a few stangely decorated Russian homes. Liberal use of lively wallpaper that kind of matches the busy carpeting patterns. If I could some how get her to meet with a Scandavian interior decorator and then a French chef then I think all of my concerns will have been met.

Peewee

Offline LatinSwede

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2006, 11:51:29 PM »
Scandinavian interior decorator?  It's a lucky thing I'm half Swede!  Maybe some extended family will help.

Offline Son of Clyde

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 04:45:39 AM »
Be prepared for a major makeover.

Your "male" theme may become limited to one room the rest of the place will have that female touch.

The 11th commandment should read "thou shalt not redecorate before she arrives."

Offline Bruce

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2006, 06:11:18 AM »
Start lining up the contractors now!  Prepare to move.  Get ready to buy a new gas stove and laundry machine.
"A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day."  Emily Dickinson

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2006, 08:01:35 AM »
I think it might be wise to not let her rush into re-decorating.  The styles are very different in the FSU than America and you might end up with something she will hate once she gets used to America but again the batchlor pad them will probably not cut it.

Offline jb

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2006, 10:18:40 AM »
Yep,,, I can honestly say that after almost 4 years of living with a Russian wife, my home looks nothing like what I had when she got here.  All new furniture, new sofas and loveseats, tables are all new and they have table cloths and doilies now, beds have matching spreads and bedskirts and pillow shams, (or whatever those things are called), all the windows now have color coordinated draperies and curtains in addition to blinds, walls have pictures and paintings hung, and every appliance has been replaced with the exception of the washer and dryer.  The last thing to go was my old bedroom TV, it got replaced with a new 32" hi-def flat panel TV just a couple of months ago.  No big deal, it was about to die of old age anyway.

Yes, my friend, your life is about to change.  And probably for the better.

Offline Goldtop

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2006, 02:09:00 PM »
This song is for you - I'm Going to Hire a Wino to Decorate Our Home

I came crawling home last night, like many nights before:
I finally made it to my feet as she opened up the door.
And she said, "You're not gonna do this anymore."

She said: "I'm gonna' hire a wino to decorate our home,
"So you'll feel more at ease here, and you won't have to roam.
"We'll take out the dining room table, and put a bar along that wall.
"And a neon sign, to point the way, to our bathroom down the hall."

She said: "Just bring your Friday paycheck, and I'll cash them all right here.
"And I'll keep on tap - for all your friends, their favorite kinds of beer.
"And for you, I'll always keep in stock, those soft aluminum cans.
"And when you're feeling macho, you can crush them like a man."

She said: "We'll rip out all the carpet, and put sawdust on the floor.
"Serve hard boiled eggs and pretzels, and I won't cook no more.
"There'll be Monday night football, on T.V. above the bar.
"And a pay phone in the hallway, when your friends can't find their car."

She said: "You'll get friendly service, and for added atmosphere.
"I'll slip on something sexy, and I'll cut it clear to here.
"Then you can slap my bottom, every time you tell a joke.
"Just as long as you keep tipping, well, I'll laugh until you're broke."

I'm going to hire a wino to decorate our home.

Offline ConnerVT

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006, 04:10:38 PM »
Now that I finished painting our sons room (again, it was the first room I painted two years ago when they arrived) I have time to post.

Be thankful you only have a small place.  I'm grateful ours is only a two bedroom, as every ceiling and wall has been repainted; the kitchen remodeled with refinished cabinets, new floor, appliances, and plumbing; new flooring throughout (the laminate gets installed tomorrow in the room I just painted, then I can reinstall the baseboard).  Every electric outlet, telephone and cable TV jack, light switch, and ceiling light fixture has been replaced.  All the door hardware too.

There are only about four pieces of furniture left that I owned before I got married (most in my sons room).  The living room and dining room sets were bought before we married, the bedroom was delivered two weeks before they arrived.

I can relate with jb on the TV -- the 26" Sharp is destined to get relocated to a bedroom, as my wife doesn't feel it fits with the 'new' living room decor.  A 42" plasma is destined to end up mounted on the wall by Christmas.

Some of our biggest 'disagreements' (chose that word carefully, I did) have been over the remodeling.  Not that it needed to be done, but rather how and to what level.  Funny, the worst was over the color choice of one wall!  I knew it would be the correct color once the rest of the work was done, but it was a little to intense for her when I first painted it (it wasn't going to be easy to change plans at that point!)

The funniest part of it all -- I believe that we'll be selling this place in the next 18 months, and I'll get to start all over again, just in a larger place!

Pray for me, would ya folks?

Offline rose

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006, 02:03:47 AM »
I know only one trick how to stop a woman from home "improvement": to find a full-time job for her or send her to school, real school, not ESL.
Something tells me, after 8 hours of work daily, her desire for remodeling will start dissolving, and she might finish out by agreeing just make minor changes... :D

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006, 04:54:59 AM »
Even after 8 hours of work it does not take much more energy to sit there and say Honey do this and when you are done, with that paint the bedroom.

Offline LatinSwede

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2006, 02:30:08 PM »
Our first year together will be in apartments, and then to a proper house.  Then she can decide about painting.  By the time she gets here, my lease will be over in 3 months.  I renewed it just for 6 more, to give us both enough time to get settled and adjusted as husband and wife.  We'll select a nice 2 bedroom together.  Actually, her taking my poster down and storing them away, will save me the labor of doing it myself when it's time to move.  We both agreed that in our next place I'm using the spare room for my guy stuff.  The rest of the home will be her little Odessa, Ukraine away from home.

A lot of my music memorabilia is stuff I collected since I was a kid.  Many have been long out of print!  I can't can't take a time machine back to the 1980's and early 90's to get another one.  Well there's e-bay but that gets expensive.

As a tease, I told her I'm going to put my posters up in the little babys room.  She didn't think it was very funny.

Offline Jumper

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2006, 07:46:06 PM »
rose said:
I know only one trick how to stop a woman from home "improvement": to find a full-time job for her or send her to school, real school, not ESL.
Something tells me, after 8 hours of work daily, her desire for remodeling will start dissolving, and she might finish out by agreeing just make minor changes...

LOL!
Spoken like a true RW.  ;D

Swede , i was in trouble for NOT having any design or decorations..lol

I had just built this house, (well ok about a year or two before)
 and left it white..
NO curtains lol, sparsely furnished..
mostly due to just not caring,
(i'm a guy afterall,  and my garage is my home,when i'm home.lol i'm not an inside person.)

partly due to thinking that well,, shes coming in about a year ,
so i will leave a blank canvas for her to do with what she wants
(within our means of course)
I did have a big aquarium..150gal.. (she hates it)

anyway,,
how could anyone live like this? lmao!

and yes she has painted or changed or hung things or bought curtains or,,whatever to every room

and especially the bathrooms,, they really got the make-overs,,

i joke with her that i should have just built another %$#ING house,
for all the home depot trips ..wtf!!

(jb and fred seem to know this drill well)

so you see?
 heavy metal posters,
 wouldnt have got me in any more trouble

now my posters, photos ,number plates, plaques, trophies,albums,guitars,
 are regulated to the basement or the garage..
but then again i used to have bikes in the house..
and once decorated one as a christmas tree
(it was red afterall? a lil green ,and some ornanments and an wa' la! )
(she doesnt know about that,but it wouldnt surprise her  lol)

So do what you want, ultimately you cant win anyway.
you will be assimilated. resistance is futile.

all kidding aside, she did a lot of the work, and my house looks like a true pro interior designer really thought it out, and worked thier magic..

but yea i have had what seems an endless things to do with the house or the yard.
and like rose said, i have joked with her that she needs a full time job soon, so she wont have as much time to dwell on what i need to be doing..;)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 07:51:30 PM by AJ »

Offline LatinSwede

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 01:38:31 PM »
Ha!  I don't even have curtains up.  I just rely on those plain white venician blinds for privacy.  She'll put a stop to that for sure.

Offline Jumper

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 03:29:47 PM »
i dint have blinds either.. ;)
nada.

well ok, there was an old sheet over the bedroom window,,
that should be ok right? ;)

Since your moving to a new place anyway ,
it will all work out i'm sure.. lol

Offline LatinSwede

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2006, 06:25:16 PM »
I'm curious to get input from the women out there.

We're not even hitched yet and it's like the women in my family (aunties) are siding with her against me.  The gist of it I'm getting is "tough! She's coming in to take over so get used to it!".
« Last Edit: June 17, 2006, 06:57:04 PM by LatinSwede »

Offline Wayne

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2006, 09:55:19 AM »
I think it is typical for any woman, from any country, to want to decorate the home and make it "cozy"  You just need to teach her how to use and clean the paint brush/roller, etc.  Buy her a sewing machine and tape measure so she can custom fit those drapes.  If she insists on a gas range, you need at least two pipe wrenches. 

I just started a sauna project.  Has anyone experienced a Russian Banya?

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2006, 02:06:13 PM »
I just started a sauna project.  Has anyone experienced a Russian Banya?

Yep - couple of them. Beat the hell out of me with those tree branches. I stopped short of the cold dip. Didn't think my heart could stand it.

- Dan

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2006, 02:43:26 PM »
Someplace I have a picture of myself after being beat half to death with the branches.  I too passed on the cold dip.  I was already beet red from the branches and the heat. 

Remember it takes a while for the plants to grow.  You should get them planted as soon as you can so they are big enough for her to whip you with them.  You never realized how sadistic these Russian gals are did you?

Offline LatinSwede

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2006, 04:25:35 PM »
The upside of the home make over will be this.  It's a reminder that I don't have a loudmouthed trailer cow, trying to act like a man.  It's nice to be in the company of a real lady.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1964
Total: 1975

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM