It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: First gift to a lady  (Read 20289 times)

Offline lawman65

First gift to a lady
« on: August 26, 2006, 09:44:18 PM »
Hey Veterans,
What would be a nice gift from the US to give to a lady that will win her over.
No smart remarks please, this is serious. ;D :D :) ;)

Offline acrzybear

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: First gift to a lady
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 09:56:22 PM »
 :noidea:  need more info ???
Necessitas dat ingenium

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 10:33:13 PM »
:noidea:  need more info ???

Yep..  met yet? still writing?

Before splurging, you should have won her over already.

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 10:58:38 PM »
Hey Veterans,

Give her a box of See's Truffles. I've witness about 8 RW eating the candy and they've all said it's the best candy they've ever eaten. No kidding. I hate lemon flavored candies but I can eat See's lemon truffles all day. That's how good it taste. Also buy her a book of scenic view of the country you live in and area/State. If she's interested in you, she'll love to see pics of where she's going to live.
Challenge yourself to not spend a lot of money until you've won her over.

http://www.sees.com/cat.cfm?CatSelect=X
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 12:44:19 AM »
I like candy too  ;D
 But hardly you can expect to hear such flattery that you brought  the best candy they've ever eaten.   from Muscovites who have 7 ( or may be more it's just I can recall 7 of them) confectioneryies in their city ( 3 of them are with more than 100 years history, best traditions and  fine reputation produce about 2000  types of confectionery)

http://www.redoct.msk.ru/indexe.html
http://www.babaev.ru/
http://www.rotfront.ru/company.shtml

Offline Jet

• Married 11/03 Divorced 9/09 Married 6/12
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 02:46:20 AM »
I like candy too  ;D
 But hardly you can expect to hear such flattery that you brought  the best candy they've ever eaten.  

I never told them what was "the best", I waited for them to tell me  ;D
It depends on taste, Lil really likes the Godiva milk chocolate assortments without nuts; Babushka likes the Gharidelli(sp?) dark chocolate with nuts  :noidea:
My wife brought back a small box of Russian chocolate produced in her region and gave it to one of the women who works in my office, who proclaimed: "If I could get these on a regular basis, I wouldn't need a man!"  :o
Every action in company ought to be done with some sign of respect to those that are present. ~ Geo. Washington

Offline SANDRO43

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 04:01:02 AM »
Hey Veterans,What would be a nice gift from the US to give to a lady that will win her over.
How about something they do not usually eat, like flowers ;) ?
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 04:03:08 AM »
Flowers are not a "gift"  ::) it's a deciration  to a "gift"  :P :P

Offline docetae

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 05:44:16 AM »
Hey Veterans,

If you have a stop in Europe during your flight to russia or ukraine, buy some belgian chocolates (leonidas or other).
I had brought too a photography book about the town where I live.

As Elen said, flowers are not a gift. This is like salt or pepper in food or punctuation in a sentence, just a mandatory addon to your relation. And do not forget that flowers are given only with an odd number. (offering a dozen of roses is not a good idea, offer 15 or 11 yes) . But for the first time , just 5 is perfect.

Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes Oscar Wilde

Offline jb

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 06:00:43 AM »
Ahhhhh,,,, come on guys, you know you have to give gold and diamonds if you want to sweep her off her feet.   Besides, all that chocolate is likely to melt and it's very hard to clean it off all that shining armor and it's not good for the white horse either.

Has it ever occurred to you that your arrival in her city is the best gift you could possible give her?

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 07:09:26 AM »
As Elen said, flowers are not a gift. This is like salt or pepper in food or punctuation in a sentence, just a mandatory addon to your relation.
Aha, so my failure to appreciate the distinction may explain why 2 previous courtships where I sent flowers were unsuccessful ;). Maybe if I had hung to the stems some "gold and diamonds" and "chocolate candies" (in temperature-insulated containers, of course),  I would have fared better ;D ?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 07:14:08 AM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline docetae

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2006, 07:27:58 AM »
Aha, so my failure to appreciate the distinction may explain why 2 previous courtships where I sent flowers were unsuccessful ;). Maybe if I had hung to the stems some "gold and diamonds" and "chocolate candies" (in temperature-insulated containers, of course),  I would have fared better ;D ?

for flower, I assume the same with AW and RW ... for gold and diamond, perhaps this will be better to send them in container too if you want your girl to receive them ;P
Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes Oscar Wilde

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2006, 07:39:30 AM »
Aha, so my failure to appreciate the distinction may explain why 2 previous courtships where I sent flowers were unsuccessful ;).
Without jokking if we are speaking about meeting in reality flowers are NOT enough at all ( but obligated  :P )

Offline KenC

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2006, 07:43:20 AM »
I agree with the posters that said we need more information in order to give good advice here.  I will assume, for now, that you have not met yet.  The photo book, chocolates and flowers are all good, but as Elen pointed out, these are kind of part of what is expected during the courtship phase.  Nice, but expected.

On my first trip to Russia, I tried to plan ahead.  In case everything went well, I brought along a lightweight gold bracelet.  Nothing too expensive, or gaudy.  But also something that would be a nice keepsake for the lady.  I held it back and did not give it to Lena until near the end of my visit.  She still cherishes it to this day.  Whatever gift you decide to give, it shouldn't be too expensive or too personal at this point in your relationship.

Elen,
My wife raves about Russian chocolates, but even she admits that See's brand is a very very high quality chocolate.

Billy,
Lemon truffles?  Lemon?  Not chocolate truffles? My, my, my, do you need a slap upside the head!  What were you thinking?  I am sure your girl told you she loved them, but she was probably thinking "where the hell is the chocolate?"  Don't you know that women crave chocolate, need chocolate, cannot live without chocolate?  Go rent the movie "Chocolate" from a few years ago, it may help you understand the magical powers of chocolate. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
KenC
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 07:47:07 AM by KenC »
You are a den of vipers and thieves-Andrew Jackson on banks
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2006, 07:54:09 AM »
I don't doubt a quality of your chocolate It was American statement that Russian girls have never had something better in their lifes than what American guy brought them.
So my point is better your attitude would be something " I brought you the best I have here in America " than " I brought you the best you have ever had in your life in Russia before me"  :P Catch a differnce?  :P

Offline Louie

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2006, 07:59:38 AM »
I think the old stand by of quality perfume will always work, my favorite is Cool Waters by Davidoff, and one thing i did send that was a huge hit, the lady that i am seeing has a 12 y/o daughter, I got her 3 Harry Potter books in Russian translation, she loves them!
Your Mom is so dumb that she tried to minimize a 12 variable function to a minimal sum of products expression using a karnaugh map instead of the Quine-McCluskey Algorithm.

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2006, 08:07:39 AM »
I think the old stand by of quality perfume will always work, my favorite is Cool Waters by Davidoff, and one thing i did send that was a huge hit, the lady that i am seeing has a 12 y/o daughter, I got her 3 Harry Potter books in Russian translation, she loves them!
Why only 3 Harry Potters books? Where did you get 3 others???  ::)

Also if that little girl is going to move to the USA she should read those books in English  :P So I would preffer to get such gift in English version ( or better Chronicals of Narnia. - They are popular now here too but it's more hard to get those books here than Harry Potter)

Offline BillyB

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2006, 08:14:18 AM »
Ken, the lemon tuffles are covered in chocolate. I agree bringing a nice piece of jewelry that she can cherish forever unlike candy.

Jet, I've given Godiva and Gharidelli without much comment. See's candies get the comments. If you enter a See's candy store, the women are dressed in old fashioned clothes and See's advertise their candies to be old fashioned. Sometimes they walk around and give people samples and the first sample I ever had was a lemon truffle and I loved it. I was sold after that. There should be a store directory at the website I provided.

Louie, good quality perfume is a good idea too.

Elen, If I gave you a box of See's candies, you'd be wanting to see me again! I've got Russian stores around where I live and I buy and like some of the choclolate they sell, I've also had Belgium chocolate and many other types. Chocolate is my favorite candy by far. But honestly, See's candies which happens to be American is the best. My ex Gf in Russia, My ex UW in the States and her relatives, and my current fiancee all love See's candies. My fiancee and ex gf would recognize the gold box the truffles come in even if they hadn't seen it for months. Just watching their smile as I pull it out of my luggage is a good moment. I remember sending a box of truffles to my ex gf before visiting her in Novosibirsk. On a phone call after she received it, she couldn't stop telling me that the candies was the most delicious she's ever tasted. Talking about the candy dominated that phone call. Elen, if you could have these candies, you would have a new love and you wouldn't need a man anymore.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2006, 08:20:25 AM »
BillyB, do us all a favour, send Elen a box of See's candies (she might mellow a bit ;D).
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 08:22:33 AM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline PeeWee

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2006, 08:31:32 AM »
Ahhhhh,,,, come on guys, you know you have to give gold and diamonds if you want to sweep her off her feet.   Besides, all that chocolate is likely to melt and it's very hard to clean it off all that shining armor and it's not good for the white horse either.

Has it ever occurred to you that your arrival in her city is the best gift you could possible give her?

I have just learned something from Elen. Flowers are not a gift. Chocolate is dangerous in that she may think that you want her to be fat. At least that is what I had hear when I first sent the flower and chocolate combo.

Your arrival in her city is a great gift. When I knew that I was going to meet Lena, but not in her city, I asked her where she would like to travel. Egypt and Mexico were her childhood dream destinations. I am hoping that the past 9 days that she spent in Cairo was what it took to "sweep her off of her feet."  I went easy on the gifts once there. Some Egyptian perfume and two pairs of shoes. She had her eye on a 24 karat gold scarabee but instead I bought a sterling silver key chain with her son's name written in hyrogliphics and two shirts for him. I went very easy on the gifts this time around not wanting to set an impression of great wealth...again the trip in itself should have been a wonderful gift for her. I know it was for me.

Peevee

Offline KenC

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2006, 08:38:34 AM »
I don't doubt a quality of your chocolate It was American statement that Russian girls have never had something better in their lifes than what American guy brought them.
So my point is better your attitude would be something " I brought you the best I have here in America " than " I brought you the best you have ever had in your life in Russia before me"  :P Catch a differnce?  :P

Yes, I do and you are correct.  (This spoken by a man that has had his American arrogance beaten out of him over the last 8 years!) ;D ;D ;D
KenC

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2006, 08:39:03 AM »

Elen, If I gave you a box of See's candies, you'd be wanting to see me again!

Now  You see If it was "true" chocolate  ( There should be enough % of feniletilamin for to get an effect Jet spoke about. Therefore it should be black "bitter" chocolate - like Russian ones  but not that milk one you were speaking about) then I'd be wanting to see that box of candies but not you

Anyway Billy I just wanted to say you that before think that your girl "has never had" something there better check what she really had in her city. I speak about Moscow - Moscow chocolate and Moscow vodka - that's what Muscovites used  to present themselves to others because these things are famous in Russia . ( like spice-cakes from Tula for example, or black caviar from Astrahan)
That does not make your chocolate "worse " It's just for your inform.

Well okay Billy you may bring that chocolate of yours with you if you happens to be in Moscow I'll test which one I like better
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 08:54:10 AM by Elen »

Offline BillyB

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2006, 08:52:23 AM »
Now  You see If it was "true" chocolate  ( There should be enough % of fenitalamin for effect Jet spoke about and so it should be black "bitter" chocolate - like Russian ones  but not that milk one you were speaking about) then I'd be wanting to see that box of candies but not you

Who said the truffles were all milk chocolate? There are many combinations of milk and dark chocolate truffles See's sell. For a woman, eating a See's truffle is like the first time she's had ____. At first she doesn't know what to expect but after she experienced it for the first time, she'll want it over and over again. Pure ecstasy.

Sandro, I will send Elen a box of See's truffles if she wants to PM me her address which I would keep confidential from all her infatuated admirers. Then she could give us all her expert opinion of See's American chocolate!

Offline KenC

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2006, 08:52:39 AM »
Perfume is a good gift, but there are a few things to consider about it as a gift to a RW.  Russians have many European perfumes available to them that won't be introduced to America for years, if ever, so their availability is much better than ours.  And perfume's do run out.  Jewelry is forever.

Billy,
I think that See's is a west coast thing, maybe only a California thing.

Jet,
I have to agree (again!) with Elen, that dark chocolates seem to be preferred by RW instead of "milk" chocolate.  Lena says milk chocolate is too sweet.  A little strange that your wifey prefers them.

Elen,
So you don't get too big of a head thinking that I am only going to agree with you, you must be informed that there are some fine chocolates and vodkas made in cities in Russia that aren't called "Moscow." ::) ::)
 KenC

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2006, 09:05:54 AM »
Elen,
So you don't get too big of a head thinking that I am only going to agree with you, you must be informed that there are some fine chocolates and vodkas made in cities in Russia that aren't called "Moscow." ::) ::)
 KenC

I am informed that chocolade and vodka are made in other cities too.
 I said Moscow was FAMOUSE with exactly these two products in Russia  - let  anybody try to disprove this fact  :P

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541008
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1858
Total: 1869

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM