It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: How to make Russian friends..?  (Read 3942 times)

Offline arun-marap

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
How to make Russian friends..?
« on: February 21, 2012, 11:52:22 PM »
Hi...I'm from India.I'm planning for a trip to Russia n I don't know how Indians will be treated over there.N I've seen many Russian ppl in India.Will they think odd if I approach to them n jus talk on being friends..?

Offline Avis

• Trips: Resident
Re: How to make Russian friends..?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 02:15:25 AM »
Yes they most likely think that - if you try and do that in Russia. People rarely talk to strangers there.
In Russia term "friends" has a deeper meaning than in English apparently, I personally can't help but be very skeptical when a stranger messages me "I want to make friends with you" on Skype or wherever. If you try and approach people in the street that would be considered way too weird I think.
You can still try and chat in bars or cafes to people, just don't mention "let's make friends" thing; also, I think a lost face with "I don't understand where to go" somewhere around Red Square might help when you approach people, and then try and make a small talk  - I would imagine you'd approach young girls anyway so that might work to make some contacts with strangers.
If you start talking to tourists in India, it will be okay I think. Pick the smily one and go ahead :) We are a bit more relaxed on holiday.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 10:47:31 AM »
Hi...I'm from India.I'm planning for a trip to Russia n I don't know how Indians will be treated over there.N I've seen many Russian ppl in India.Will they think odd if I approach to them n jus talk on being friends..?

IMO, it'll be just like anywhere else, Arun. Some will and some won't. Of course, the manner in which you approach will also affect the manner they'll react to you. The fact you're Indian may not sit so well with many folks in general. Russians are fairly nationalistic, and I'm saying that mildly. Be aware of your surrounding at all times if you do go...

Off-topic: My wife and I just had Lamb Korma with Eggplant Bhurta over Basmati rice the other night and that is likely the most delicious food we've had so far this year! Unbelievable!
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline lakecreek

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 12:01:26 AM »
Hey there. I'm Indian too, born in the US, not from India and I'm mixed with central American. Making friends with Russians are no different than another race. Just talk to them as you normally would with anyone. I'm friends with a Russian woman and my friendship with her is great and trying to strengthen some more but not too far to the point we have romantic feelings. Russians tend to be caring if you meet the right one and they will be friends with you forever. Never know your friendship with a Russian may turn into something more. Enjoy your trip to Russia.

Offline Spoon

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 12:12:56 AM »
Quite a different kettle of fish when he's actually in Russia, Lakecreek. As GQ stated, Russian folk can be......hmmm....(trying to find the right word).....'intolerant'  of people with darker complexion....sorry, but it's a fact.
Maybe it's slowly changing, but don't expect too much.
A Russian girl trying to fit in with an American crowd is quite different.
"Never under any circumstances take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night."
-Dave Barry

Offline CDW

• Opted-Out
  • Spouse's Country: Other Eastern Europe
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 03:54:25 AM »

Just make sure that you don't talk about cricket out there!  They do not know who Sachin Tendulkar is  ;)
I am an X-MEN called "WOVO Man"

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 05:00:13 AM »
Just make sure that you don't talk about cricket out there!  They do not know who Sachin Tendulkar is  ;)

Nor do 99.99% of the members here!  Some of us, however, are more enlightened...and some have even met him... :toocool:

Offline barfi

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 08:23:00 PM »
Do'n worry Russian (especially from province) will glad to talk with you, but NOT IN MOSCOW!!! My friend's husband had big problems with skinheads

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 1942
Total: 1951

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM