It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: "I think what we have here is a failure to communicate..."  (Read 33788 times)

Offline Ranetka

• Back to Earth from Cloud Nine
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
Re: "I think what we have here is a failure to communicate..."
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2010, 07:12:07 AM »
Doll and Ranetka: You can make as many excuses as you like but this..............................is childish illmannered BS regardless of the circumstances.

I've travelled the length and breadth of Russia more than a few times and the only people I've heard resort to that nonsense were those I wouldn't p!ss on if they were burning (very few I might add). :rolleyes2:

If she did not like Americans as such she would not be chatting to op at all would she?

One thing for sure if you insult people as class ("you guys?" I presume OP meant Russians/RWs did not he?) be prepared to get YOUR class of people insulted. If she could speak English better she would have answered a bit more elegantly.

Like for example: "I do not know .... ( I put a nice litte example of an answer she could give without being rude here but deleted it because I feel some American gentlemen were going to be offended and this was not my intention).... ignorant and arrogant?"

Now would any of you guys ( :P) wanted to carry on conversation with lady who has made this type of comment?

« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 07:45:33 AM by Ranetka »
There are shortcuts to happiness and dancing is one of them.

I do resent the fact that most people never question or think for themselves. I don't want to be normal. I just want to find some other people that are odd in the same ways that I am. OP.

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2010, 07:13:32 AM »
getting so serious over a webchat amazes me when folks haven't met yet.

Have her login to RWD chat LOL

Offline Ranetka

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2010, 07:20:21 AM »
I am a bit touchy on the subject right now.

My best mate got herself a new man. Seen him first time this week, the bloke also thought I was enjoying his comments regarding my accent.  Now I am trying so hard to get rid of it, he really quite upset me. Pr*t. And I could not/would not tell him off as I wanted to be nice for my mate. Ignorant tw*t.

I do resent the fact that most people never question or think for themselves. I don't want to be normal. I just want to find some other people that are odd in the same ways that I am. OP.

Offline Shadow

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2010, 07:29:03 AM »
I am a bit touchy on the subject right now.

My best mate got herself a new man. Seen him first time this week, the bloke also thought I was enjoying his comments regarding my accent.  Now I am trying so hard to get rid of it, he really quite upset me. Pr*t. And I could not/would not tell him off as I wanted to be nice for my mate. Ignorant tw*t.
Next time make a fake accent like they use in movies. Perhaps he will get ze mesazje
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline Ranetka

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2010, 07:33:28 AM »
Next time make a fake accent like they use in movies. Perhaps he will get ze mesazje

I fear mine is not that far anyway :(

Offline Doll

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2010, 07:37:52 AM »
getting so serious over a webchat amazes me when folks haven't met yet.

Have her login to RWD chat LOL
We are not. The OP asked what happened- we answered. The accuracy of our (RW) answers is 99.99% The OP insulted the girl.

Offline Blues Fairy

« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2010, 07:42:22 AM »
The accuracy of our (RW) answers is 99.99%

I assume my opinion is not included in this high rating.  ;D

Offline brad5959

« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2010, 07:44:17 AM »
We are not. The OP asked what happened- we answered. The accuracy of our (RW) answers is 99.99% The OP insulted the girl.

he did not insult the poor neurotic boorish woman.  but I will be happy to do it for him!!

Offline Doll

« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2010, 07:46:57 AM »
Needless to say, I've heard Indian, Polish, Italian immigrants speak English, also I am an ESL teacher, so the girl in the OP was speaking quite decent English. Her "resting in nature" is just a very Russian [phrase said in English. There was no need to mock on it.
Low class, sir.
 What may come next? The way they are dressed, what they eat, how they don't smile or how their teeth are not "American white"?
Then don't go there, stay in this country and you'll have perfect English with no accent of mistakes, sugar coating and smiles.
Yes, Doll is mad

Offline Doll

« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2010, 07:47:55 AM »
I assume my opinion is not included in this high rating.  ;D
It is  :D

Offline Ranetka

« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2010, 07:49:35 AM »
I assume my opinion is not included in this high rating.  ;D

ha ha I thought this. You thought there was nothing insulting.

You probably can not empathize with her though, you went to 130 школу? Your English was not so poor since school years right?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 07:56:44 AM by Ranetka »

Offline Doll

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2010, 07:50:27 AM »
he did not insult the poor neurotic boorish woman.  but I will be happy to do it for him!!
That's why you're "looking >5 years"  8)

Offline Doll

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2010, 07:55:59 AM »
Hey, I forgot how to change my avatar, who can help?
Sorry for OFF

Offline Blues Fairy

« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2010, 07:59:30 AM »
You probably can not emthasize with her though, you went to 130 школу? Your English was not so poor since school years right?

No, I don't empathize with overreacting defensive brats.  Regardless of my language skills I would never be insulted by a foreigner trying to ascertain the meaning of my words.

Yes I went to the 130th but I also learned French and Japanese (much less fluently than English) and got to speak with native speakers who were frequently confused/amused by what I was trying to say.  Where's the offense?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 08:09:14 AM by Blues Fairy »

Offline OlgaH

« Reply #39 on: July 31, 2010, 08:05:31 AM »
this..............................is childish illmannered BS regardless of the circumstances.

Agree.

Honestly, I don't see any caviling or mockery in OP's replies to that woman that could make her so upset to excess...

Offline Fashionista

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #40 on: July 31, 2010, 08:13:56 AM »
I will add my voice to the statistics. I will not risk calculating percentages though  :D. TB, you should understand that many RW are self-conscious about their abilities to speak foreign languages. At least I know I am. That may come from the fact that even their command of Russian is often used as a criteria of their intelligence, particulaly in a better educated crowd. So teasing her about things that she may consider her weakness may not come across too well in a internet chat. Particularly in a chat, where a joke and an insult can be easily confused. You can't hear the tone of voice, or see the face of the other person, the nonverbal communicators are missing, and there is no way to know how friendly (or unfriendly) the other party is. Following Gator's advice will improve your chances with other people. How thick the skin of the girl of your liking must be is of course your choice :). Hope this helps.
Find your inner Bart!

Offline Ranetka

« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2010, 08:16:58 AM »
I re-read a transcript again.
\i can only say to the OP : you'd be better off not trying a gentle mockery with someone you do not know very well.

Your comment "Perhaps I will buy a house like that" is a typical English style humour that would nt go down well in Russia.

Offline OlgaH

« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2010, 08:40:49 AM »
The next thing I know she’s telling me how much she didn’t like ‘americans’ and how I was mocking her, Russians and the Motherland. WHAT? I politely offered my apologies if had had offended her, told her that if I did it was not intentional and asked her to please explain what I had said that was so terrible. She then bid me good night and wrote me off like a bad check.

Tag-n-bag,

just don't take the situation too seriously, forget and move on. There are women who have enough intelligence to ask politely even with bad English what you mean or give an explanation when you politely ask for instead of making a childish ill-mannered (as I/O said) conclusion.   

Offline ECOCKS

• To those who deserve it, good luck.
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2010, 08:42:58 AM »
I see no offense or mockery, only an overly touchy gal.

It looks to me like the conversation offers a mans attempt to offer a complement as to the common weekend trip to the dacha and the frequent gatherings in the woodlands for sashlyk, salads and bread with a few songs and family catchups. In a country without backyards and city parks with firepits it is something different from the western life of the English-speaking countries. He could have been more suave in his delivery but the conversation transcript offered up reads like a bumbling guy trying to have a cross-cultural conversation with someone who is defensive about their English.

OTOH, I don't agree he was wimping out or even acting like a puppy. While I am not impressed with the OP's presentation, references or general mannerisms so far, the conversation attempts to bring her to an understanding of what he was trying to say. The woman needs to work on her exposure to English-speakers and think whether she will have the ability to adapt herself to a different culture, language and way of life. She needs some work.
Pick and choose carefully among the advice offered and consider the source carefully. PM, Skype or email if you care to chat or discuss

Offline Ranetka

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2010, 08:53:14 AM »
I see no offense or mockery, only an overly touchy gal.

It looks to me like the conversation offers a mans attempt to offer a complement as to the common weekend trip to the dacha and the frequent gatherings in the woodlands for sashlyk, salads and bread with a few songs and family catchups. In a country without backyards and city parks with firepits it is something different from the western life of the English-speaking countries. He could have been more suave in his delivery but the conversation transcript offered up reads like a bumbling guy trying to have a cross-cultural conversation with someone who is defensive about their English.

OTOH, I don't agree he was wimping out or even acting like a puppy. While I am not impressed with the OP's presentation, references or general mannerisms so far, the conversation attempts to bring her to an understanding of what he was trying to say. The woman needs to work on her exposure to English-speakers and think whether she will have the ability to adapt herself to a different culture, language and way of life. She needs some work.

In my opinion they both need some work. They both were insensitive. She gave him clues after first his comments re her language; he did not understand that he upset her. Then the house joke came, after which she choose to get offended and his apology was too late.
She needs to be less touchy and he needs to be more careful.

Offline brad5959

« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2010, 08:57:54 AM »
Needless to say, I've heard Indian, Polish, Italian immigrants speak English, also I am an ESL teacher, so the girl in the OP was speaking quite decent English. Her "resting in nature" is just a very Russian [phrase said in English. There was no need to mock on it.
Low class, sir.
 What may come next? The way they are dressed, what they eat, how they don't smile or how their teeth are not "American white"?
Then don't go there, stay in this country and you'll have perfect English with no accent of mistakes, sugar coating and smiles.
Yes, Doll is mad

he was not mocking her, he was simply trying to understand her.  he did absolutely nothing wrong.  what may come next?...  that is just your overactive imagination.  if you and the lady involved in the "conversation" are so easily offended, I pity you. 

Offline OlgaH

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2010, 09:16:48 AM »
She gave him clues after first his comments re her language; he did not understand that he upset her. Then the house joke came, after which she choose to get offended and his apology was too late.

Ranetka, What clues?  I don't see any of his comments on her language. And I really don't understand what is wrong with his comment: this is great;  i want a house like this; maybe i should move into one and live in the woods 8-)

Apology is never late... especially after a few minutes  :D 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 09:30:22 AM by OlgaH »

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2010, 09:33:09 AM »

[2:54:29 AM] RW: I don't like ur style of communication
[2:54:29 AM] ME: cavil?
[2:54:48 AM] RW:  that's why wish u good night and bye
[2:54:56 AM] ME: what is wrong?
[2:55:26 AM] ME: I don’t understand RW
[2:56:17 AM] RW: u r talking with mockery
[2:56:32 AM] ME: i don’t mean to be
 [2:57:23 AM] ME: I'm sorry if i insulted you RW
[2:57:33 AM] ME: if i did so it was unintentional
[2:57:51 AM] RW: because u r not so clever man it seems

This is where it got a little strange.

[2:58:13 AM] RW: I don't like american like american don't like russian
[2:58:20 AM] ME: RW, maybe because you don’t know me, you are translating what I say out of context.
[2:58:25 AM] RW: that's why good bye dear american
[2:59:17 AM] ME: I'm sorry RW, I really don’t understand what has upset you
[2:59:44 AM] ME: but if you do not want to chat again, I understand
[2:59:57 AM] ME: take care
[3:00:23 AM] ME: bye
[3:00:34 AM] RW: bye

You're trying too hard for a woman that isn't into you. She may feel you're desperate.

You're apologizing for who your are and how you act. She may feel you're weak.

Most RW wouldn't have stayed on the internet with you so long. They would have ignored you instead of engaging in all that small talk. 
Lots of RW have too many men trying to make conversation with them. They don't have time to talk about what they've done today or everyday to every guy....unless you're her favortite or one of her favortites. If she likes you, she'll answer your questions with pleasure.

Next time, try to stimulate the mind of a RW with another approach. After she likes you or at minimum considers you a friend,  get her phone number and ask her how her day went.

Even if a RW understand what you're saying when you write "u r" and she does it herself, don't do it anymore. If one of the ladies you communicate with is someday going to be your wife, write to her in proper English. If you write a long email to a lady, Address her by her name and sign off with yours. The smart women care about the effort and detail you put into the words you send/say to her.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Ranetka

« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2010, 09:33:23 AM »
Ranetka, What clues?  I don't see any of his comment on her language. And I really don't understand what is wrong with his comment: this is great;  i want a house like this; maybe i should move into one and live in the woods 8-)

I am sorry Olga but I really do not want anymore to go nit-picking through the transcript explaining what and how. Besides I do not know how to quote two separate posts.

So far three out of five women commented that they can understand how OP messages came across as offensive.

There are cross-cultural and translation issues here.

The OP can accept he made a couple of jokes too many and try to be more careful in future or to decide that the woman was "poor boorish overreacting brat not worth pissing on while on fire", it's up to him.

Offline Ranetka

« Reply #49 on: July 31, 2010, 09:40:02 AM »
And I agree with BillyB, she would be more fogiving and less touchy if she was more into him.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541400
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 2512
Most Online Ever: 12701