Forum > In-Country Services and Agencies

US Dollar accounts in nations outside the US

(1/1)

msmob:
I saw ML had posted this and did not want to side track SteveinBoston's thread.

--- Quote from: ML on May 14, 2019, 07:43:45 AM ---Unlike most countries (outside USA), Ukraine allows for set-up of US Dollar accounts.

Be sure to do that, to eliminate loss of purchasing power from continued depreciation of hryvnia.

But, even with USD account, you will still have risk of fraud, bankruptcy, nationalization, etc., etc.

Yes, they have something like FDIC, but may take years to recover your money, if at all.

--- End quote ---

ML..

I have had USD accounts in Russia, Ukraine, UK, Georgia and Cyprus ..

In some of those countries the USD account is offered by default.

I chose never to use them as a one single purchase in USD triggered a questionnaire from the IRS )) I now use a Bank card that charges any USD to a local card.

Given I have had no issues with these nations opening USD accounts and your assertion as to difficulties, I am asking if it is harder as a US citizen to open such accounts.

Some of my examples are recent..some go back 15 years or more.

krimster2:
no, I still have dollar accounts at HSBC, and not hard for US citizens to get at all
though it makes more sense for US citizens to hold euros or sterling

ML:

--- Quote from: msmob on June 03, 2019, 07:37:26 PM ---
Given I have had no issues with these nations opening USD accounts and your assertion as to difficulties, I am asking if it is harder as a US citizen to open such accounts.

--- End quote ---

I didn't speak about difficulty to set up, but rather . . . .

"But, even with USD account, you will still have risk of fraud, bankruptcy, nationalization, etc., etc.
Yes, they have something like FDIC, but may take years to recover your money, if at all."

msmob:
ML..I read the first line of your original post...that you just omitted..

''Unlike most countries (outside USA), Ukraine allows for set-up of US Dollar accounts''

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version