It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: "Best Of RWD"  (Read 9718 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
"Best Of RWD"
« on: October 08, 2005, 09:18:03 AM »
I have the option of converting a topic to "Important" which works like what some boards call a "sticky."

The biggest problem is that I often do not read every message in a topic, unless there is a good reason to do so - and that usually means it is a topic creating some kind of disruption - usually not good candidates for a "Best Of" consideration.

How about we follow this sort of process:

1) Any RWD members may nominate a topic for consideration to categorize that topic as "Important".
2) The form of the nomination would come as a PM directed to me - and feel free to announce it in a message to the open board as well.
3) It gets a little tricky, BUT, I will then establish a poll asking the RWD membership if they feel that particular topic should be deemed "Important." The poll will run for 7 days, and the result at the end of that 7 days will determine if I change the categorization.

The classification of a topic as "Important" is identified by the icon showing an exclamation point. Besides "Normal" which shows nothing special in the icon, there is also the "Announcement" option - which uses a small letter 'i' (presumably, for *i*nformation) to distinguish those topics. In the very rare case where one forum has Normal, Announcements, and Important topics - the order shown is:

Announcement
Important
Normal

With Announcements and Important topics always at the top of the page.

If we adopt this scheme, then in general terms, the moderator(s) will use Announcements for general communication to the board - the 'Best Of' topics would show up as Important topics at the top of each forum page - and then comes all the 'Normal' topics that are aspiring to become part of the 'Best Of' category.

Exceptions to these 'rules' would be in the Admistrative sections of the board which are primarily for my use to communicate topics of interest to the board, hence, I have made liberal use of all 3 classifications of topics depending on what I was trying to communicate.

Comments?

The first topic nominated was this one:

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/view_topic.php?id=845&forum_id=11

The poll I created to determine if the RWD membership agrees with the decision to convert this to a "Best of RWD" topic is here:

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/view_topic.php?id=879&forum_id=11

- Dan

Offline Maxx

• Opted-Out
"Best Of RWD"
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 06:56:31 AM »
Dan, I think this is a very good idea.

These threads are packed with useful information which can save those informed from wasting 10's of thousands of dollars, years of their lives and allot of heartache. It's not just entertainment it can be life altering for some. That is why it should be taken seriously.

Newbies oftentimes come to these message boards become overwhelmed by the shear number of threads and posts. I have had them come to me in PM and ask me "Where do I start?" So the answer would be "read first the "Best of RWD"".

My concern is that "The Best of" could become overwhelming in it's content. Another concern is the threads often times become diluted with extraeous content. Take for example the GCG thread now in process. We have political and economic discussions go back and forth. Often times there is playful bantering as well. So a useful thread may contain 70% - 80% fat when finshed. Now nobody wants trimming (censoring) of threads but perhaps this is possible solution to this problem. For posts that go off topic or portions of posts that go off topic just highlight them in blue ink.

Also too you may want to consider a commitee to work on these important posts. I would nominate jb and Bruno with their acceptanance to the quality control standards of RWD. Namely staying on topic.

The second thought I had was a one or two sentence introduction of 25 words or less to these important subjects. Perhaps the authors of the thread may want to do this or your commitee? Perhaps you?

Then there is the problem of shear volume of threads that can be added to the "Best of RWD".  Again deciding what has enough merit to be included could be left up to a commitee of say the above members and several others (I exclude myself) for a nomination and decision committee. You can meet in private chat and discuss what should be added and what can be left out. Just keep in mind a "Best of RWD" with 250 threads maybe sensory overload to a newbie. Those are the guys we need to concern ourselves with most.

Maxx

Offline Admin

• Administrator
"Best Of RWD"
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 07:09:28 AM »
Good comments Maxx - thanks.

- Dan

Offline Bruno

"Best Of RWD"
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 08:08:12 AM »
Quote from: Maxx
My concern is that "The Best of" could become overwhelming in it's content. Another concern is the threads often times become diluted with extraeous content. Take for example the GCG thread now in process. We have political and economic discussions go back and forth. Often times there is playful bantering as well. So a useful thread may contain 70% - 80% fat when finshed. Now nobody wants trimming (censoring) of threads but perhaps this is possible solution to this problem. For posts that go off topic or portions of posts that go off topic just highlight them in blue ink.

The second thought I had was a one or two sentence introduction of 25 words or less to these important subjects. Perhaps the authors of the thread may want to do this or your commitee? Perhaps you?

I have maybe a other solution that the best off system but i don't know if it is possible... first, it ask some work of the topic starter... he can make some resume from the topic... send it to Dan and Dan can insert it in the first post ( edit )... let say that these resume can be updated monthly... so, a newbies who open a topic like "large age difference" with 24 page can read on the first topic in around one page all the main idea... if he feel some interest, he can begin read all the page... again, it can be a good solution is the topic starter wish collaborate... it will be like the resume at the back cover from a book...

Offline Maxx

• Opted-Out
"Best Of RWD"
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 08:31:46 AM »
Only problem Bruno sometimes the topic starter does not have the will or skills to do as you mentioned. I see that jb and yourself are often times on the different ends of the spectrum but you do come together at times and can be quite civil to each other. That is why I would recomend you two for balance and fairness that I see in both of you. Just keep the topics pure as best as you can. Also this would take the work and strain off of Dan.

Maxx

Offline ConnerVT

"Best Of RWD"
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 10:49:14 AM »
jb and Bruno working together (and agreeing?) :shock: :shock: :shock:

Maxx, you're a funny man!   :P  (j/k, ya'know)

Offline groovlstk

• Spouse's Country: Russia
"Best Of RWD"
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2005, 01:04:30 PM »
Quote from: ConnerVT
jb and Bruno working together (and agreeing?) :shock: :shock: :shock:

Maxx, you're a funny man!   :P  (j/k, ya'know)

I can see it now, JB and Bruno starring in an updated version of The Defiant Ones :)

Offline Bruno

"Best Of RWD"
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2005, 01:13:48 PM »
Quote from: ConnerVT
jb and Bruno working together (and agreeing?) :shock: :shock: :shock:

Maxx, you're a funny man!   :P  (j/k, ya'know)

Until we don't speak over politic, i have not really problem with JB... For his post over the dating/administration proces, he is certainly up the medium level of the forum...

And maybe you have miss it... but somewhere in one topic here, we have agree to stop our little war :P

Offline jb

"Best Of RWD"
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 03:43:18 PM »
Hey, guys,,,

I don't know where Maxx got the idea I was "fair and balanced",,, sounds like a plug for Fox News to me.

Actually, I'm flattered, but I'd have to decline such an appointment.  Bruno is well able to handle all this by himself.  I'm just an innocent bystander in most of this.  Firstly, I have no experience with agencies,  secondly, other than the fact that my wife does indeed have a green card, I have no experience with GCG's.  So I'd be a babe in the woods WRT most of these topics.

I strongly support the concept of sterling threads being perserved for the future, but I think someone more knowledgable about the MOB process should pick 'em.  

Offline Bruno

"Best Of RWD"
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2005, 04:23:47 PM »
Quote from: jb
Bruno is well able to handle all this by himself.

:shock::shock::shock: I have just say that i don't see problem for work with you but i have never say that i will accept so work... i am not retired, i work each day my 8 hours... i am running a site... i read and make post on these forum... and from January, i start again the hunting... sorry guys, but in Belgium, we have only 24 hours in one day...

It is why i have propose the topic starter be responsible of his topic...

Offline Maxx

• Opted-Out
"Best Of RWD"
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2005, 05:17:46 PM »
I see you guys as good buddies if you could stop your insulting and fighting with each other :D

OK, I wasn't suggesting expert status on all subjects just a little common sense on what is on topic and what is not (With the nod always going to the one who says "on topic" so you don't get deadlocked). You or whoever reads the threads nominated and agreed upon for entry by whom ever and the extra off topic stuff is highlighted (actually lowlighted) in light blue color. Call it trimming the fat off a otherwise informative thread. Haven't you ever looked at a hot topic of say 12 pages and click on the last page and find Fiora has been argueing with Bruno/jb/tigerpaws/Allwisemaster for the past 8 pages? Frankly I would just lop off the extra off topic comments and provide a link to the original text.

Maxx

Offline KenC

• Trips: No Selection
"Best Of RWD"
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 03:28:15 AM »
Yeah, I could really see Bruno doing the editing as it is usually his post that veers the thread off topic!  Not to mention his unquestionable logic.  Yeah, right, he gets my vote.

KenC
You are a den of vipers and thieves-Andrew Jackson on banks
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bruce

"Best Of RWD"
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 04:12:51 AM »
Maybe Dan could put a little something like Mana at the top of each post.  If select guys like how it is going they could click on it for best of.   Dan could include whomever he wants to have the ability to nominate a thread for the best of category.  Say Ken C, BC, JB, Bruno, Connor, Jack, Jett, Rvwnd, Anno, Andrewfin, Les, Maxx, Catzenmouse and any other individuals with alot of time travelling throughout parts of the FSU, experience with immigration and most importantly expertise with FSU women.  When a certain number, say 70% of the guys with the ability to  nominate a thread for best of (it could be the whole board who could nominate and vote) then it would get Dan's attention and he could decide if it is worth putting in the "best of" category.  I think it should be a very select number of threads.  In the "censorship" thread I just picked a thread pretty much from each category to include in what I thought was a 'best of" section.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2005, 04:14:00 AM by Bruce »
"A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day."  Emily Dickinson

Offline Maxx

• Opted-Out
"Best Of RWD"
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 08:25:09 AM »
Good idea Bruce.

It would be a good idea to organize this as I see a "Best of" as being the crown jewel of RWD. Then there is an incentive for the thread starters to put some effort into their creations.

Also will RWD's "Best of" out shine RWG's new "Best of" for informative information and how cleanly it is presented?

Maxx

Offline Goombah

"Best Of RWD"
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 08:51:25 AM »
I'm rather fond of the idea of post being able to be scored by the user community.  Every post could have a "Rate it" button, with a 1-10 value (10 highest), or something similar ("chat" "informational" "critical to know"?).  Then if threads could be easily sorted by cumulative rating, the "Best of" process would be automated.  Of course, something would need to be in place to only allow people to rate a posting once, and editing a post would reset its rating (perhaps optionally).

Just my 2 cents, fully understanding that this would need to be a rather extensive modification to the board.

Kevin

Offline Admin

• Administrator
"Best Of RWD"
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2005, 09:03:49 AM »
Quote from: Bruce
Maybe Dan could put a little something like Mana at the top of each post. If select guys like how it is going they could click on it for best of. Dan could include whomever he wants to have the ability to nominate a thread for the best of category. Say Ken C, BC, JB, Bruno, Connor, Jack, Jett, Rvwnd, Anno, Andrewfin, Les, Maxx, Catzenmouseand any other individuals with alot of time travelling throughout parts of the FSU, experience with immigration and most importantly expertise with FSU women. When a certain number, say 70% of the guys with the ability to nominate a thread for best of (it could be the whole board who could nominate and vote) then it would get Dan's attention and he could decide if it is worth putting in the "best of" category. I think it should be a very select number of threads. In the "censorship" thread I just picked a thread pretty much from each category to include in what I thought was a 'best of" section.

:brightidea:

Checking into the possibility of a topic-specific or post-specific ranking system. The current 'mana' is member-centric, so we need another option.

Will let the board know what I discover.

Good ideas all. :clapping:

- Dan

Offline jb

"Best Of RWD"
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2005, 09:13:39 AM »
I was thinking that since we don't know the full capability of the B/B softwear, all such suggestions are merely "pie in the sky", maybe blueberry by flavor.

I'd think the best and simplest method is to just nominate a thread and let Dan create a "stickey" if he thought it was worthy of further consideration.  It is Dan's board, after all.  Each section could have a "stickey" heading, where newbies could go to read the "Best of the RWD".  We already have a "10 Commandments" heading, maybe transfer it there. Why complicate the board?

That's using the KISS method at it's best.  

Offline Son of Clyde

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
"Best Of RWD"
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2005, 10:49:54 AM »
I deserve a "best of" post as comic relief.

Offline anono

"Best Of RWD"
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2005, 10:17:30 PM »
clyde, that is so funny, i'll be the first to nominate you :cool:

Offline Leslie

• Opted-Out
"Best Of RWD"
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2005, 02:38:38 PM »
Dan,

I want to nominate a thread as best of RWD -

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/view_topic.php?id=936&forum_id=18

This thread is absolutely essential reading for every newcomer. 

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
"Best Of RWD"
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2005, 03:05:43 PM »
I'll be the first to second that..

Offline Admin

• Administrator
"Best Of RWD"
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2005, 03:22:32 PM »
Quote from: Leslie
Dan,

I want to nominate a thread as best of RWD -

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/view_topic.php?id=936&forum_id=18

This thread is absolutely essential reading for every newcomer.

Nomination accepted.

In the future, please send me a PM - or post a nomination in the appropriate section. I will close this topic to future posts so as to not confuse the process.

Thanks,

- Dan

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541277
Total Topics: 20859