It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Travel and Perceptions  (Read 13110 times)

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Travel and Perceptions
« on: December 02, 2017, 12:27:59 AM »
Billy, please show the URLs to these specific polls.

Polls should be more valid than individual commentators, so I would like to see them.

Google has a lot and I'm not going to waste too much time listing them since they are easy to find. Here are a few polls done based on opinions of people. The last link is a poll by Britons and they think France is the rudest nation. Moby definitely thinks different than his fellow countrymen.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewbender/2012/04/03/the-worlds-rudest-nations-for-travelers/#2a7614272368

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-3945322/Smile-free-Russia-snooty-France-welcoming-Italy-Tourists-reveal-friendliest-rudest-countries-ve-visited.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2128221/Rudest-nations-French-rudest-nation-earth-according-poll.html

This goes back to my comment on formality.  I read a lot about French customs and culture before visiting. Starting any conversation with a greeting (Bonjour Monsieur/Madam), and saying goodbye are important in their culture, no matter where you are. Your lack of a greeting likely was viewed as rude, and the employee was telling you that, probably for future reference. Please and thank you are also important.

French employees in the tourist industry should be more tolerant of tourists who come from different cultures and act differently than them. The French aren't tolerant and people who aren't tolerant get rude to people they don't tolerate. The French got their label because they earned it.

I have a friend who grew up in Germany. His uncle persuaded him to move to America. He told me he always thought Americans were arrogant. Years later he went back to visit Germany. He understood Germans were much more arrogant than Americans. When a person who grows up in the American culture, they will tend to think the French, Russians and even the people back home overseas are rude. Probably why some guys won't be able to handle an FSU woman.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
Travel and Perceptions
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 01:58:26 AM »
Moby definitely thinks different than his fellow countrymen.

and you thought quoting from the Daily Mail would 'back up' your stance  :ROFL: 

Probably why some guys won't be able to handle an FSU woman.

...and you 'can' ? ...

I make no secret of it  - and most married to / in a relationship with one - there are days when we can't ;)

Offline BillyB

Travel and Perceptions
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2017, 09:25:19 AM »
and you thought quoting from the Daily Mail would 'back up' your stance  :ROFL: 

With some people, things don't register. The survey of Britons was conducted by flight comparison website Skyscanner. ML asked about polls, not opinions of journalists. I gave him some. You seem to have a hard time figuring things out.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline msmob

Travel and Perceptions
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2017, 11:37:19 AM »

With some people, things don't register.

Today seems to be the day when posters don't see any irony in what they unthinkingly post

The survey of Britons was conducted by flight comparison website Skyscanner. ML asked about polls, not opinions of journalists. I gave him some. You seem to have a hard time figuring things out.

I'm sure it was very 'scientific' - you do know the antipathy between the English and the French ? ...Yup ..though not ......

Offline ML

Travel and Perceptions
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 12:37:07 PM »
The travel search site Skyscanner.com surveyed its users about where the locals are particularly unfriendly. Survey size was 1,200 persons from Europe, UK, North America, and Australia.  The top 5 nations with the most votes for rudest locals were:

Nationality    Percentage of votes
French                19.29
Russian                16.56
British                10.43
German                  9.93
Other                  6.37

Individuals on this discussion site and elsewhere give their opinions and experiences on this subject.
If a reader feels he/she is in exactly the same situation and background of those individuals, then their opinion and experience may be helpful to you.
For most decision making, the overall opinions and experiences of those from a significant sample size (such as the 1,200 here) weigh much more heavily than the opinions and experiences of individual persons or from a very small sample.

The respondents to this survey are not from the entire world, however they are from the same population group as most of the participants here.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 12:59:25 PM by ML »
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline msmob

Travel and Perceptions
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 12:48:25 PM »
The travel search site Skyscanner.com surveyed its users about where the locals are particularly unfriendly. Survey size was 1,200 persons from Europe, UK, North America, and Australia.  The top 5 nations with the most votes for rudest locals were:

Nationality    Percentage of votes
French                19.29
Russian                16.56
British                10.43
German                  9.93
Other                  6.37

1/ the UK is in Europe-  geographically and (still) geo-politically

2/ this 'survey' excludes the Chinese - well all of Asia, South America, African, Middle East, and presumably Russia - and this is your 'supporting evidence' ?

Offline BillyB

Travel and Perceptions
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2017, 02:11:20 PM »
2/ this 'survey' excludes the Chinese - well all of Asia, South America, African, Middle East, and presumably Russia - and this is your 'supporting evidence' ?

Probably one out of every 10,000 Asian, African and South American have visited enough countries to have experience and make a comparison. How about you fund a poll and call people in Laos, Guyana, and Gabon to find those who are well travelled and can be a participant in your polls? Not even the Chinese have a decent percentage of their people who are well travelled. Many Americans and Europeans who participated in the poll most likely visited Asia, Africa, North America and other continents to be forming their opinion Europe has the rudest people starting with France.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 02:12:58 PM by BillyB »

Offline msmob

Travel and Perceptions
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2017, 09:58:02 PM »
Probably one out of every 10,000 Asian, African and South American have visited enough countries to have experience and make a comparison.

Ri-ight, BillyB.. and you've been to London, Paris, etc., recently and observed the numbers of Asian tourists - particularly Chinese?

Many Americans and Europeans who participated in the poll most likely visited Asia, Africa, North America and other continents to be forming their opinion Europe has the rudest people starting with France.

Actually, 65 percent of those polled in the Skyscanner survey were British or Irish - remember me pointing out how 'well' the English and French 'get on' ?   Hardly 'scientific' .. I'm more worried about the other 35 percent voting the UK so high - though it was probably the Irish in the 65% ;)

Finally - let's look at which nation gets the most tourists..

OMG- it's France ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings

So, the 'rudest nation' got the most tourists...  hmm ...do you see the positive correlation here ? !

Offline BillyB

Travel and Perceptions
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2017, 11:15:59 PM »
Ri-ight, BillyB.. and you've been to London, Paris, etc., recently and observed the numbers of Asian tourists - particularly Chinese?

A very small percentage of their entire population get to vacation outside the country. Call random people in China for a poll if you think every other person has travelled outside the country.

So, the 'rudest nation' got the most tourists...  hmm ...do you see the positive correlation here ? !

Only you can make a knucklehead assessment like that. Look at the rest of the nations 2-5 on the list. They aren't 2-5 on the rudest nations list are they? Most aren't even on the rudest nations list. Don't know why you're trying to prove voters and methodology in those polls wrong. Probably hurts your feelings you're living in another reality.

Offline msmob

Travel and Perceptions
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2017, 11:33:09 PM »

A very small percentage of their entire population get to vacation outside the country. Call random people in China for a poll if you think every other person has travelled outside the country.

Only you can make a knucklehead assessment like that. Look at the rest of the nations 2-5 on the list. They aren't 2-5 on the rudest nations list are they? Most aren't even on the rudest nations list. Don't know why you're trying to prove voters and methodology in those polls wrong. Probably hurts your feelings you're living in another reality.

I simply proved that the so called 'rudest' nation status was achieved from a poll whereby 700+ of those polled where from a nation that has a love to hate relationship with France ...

So, this 'knucklehead' can see what even the pollsters admitted - the potential flaw in their survey - the high percentage of Brits skewing the results..

Once again, I'm wondering why a statistician like you can't figure out how the 'rudest' nation tops the most popular tourist destination and won't see any correlation

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Travel and Perceptions
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 11:58:05 PM »

Finally - let's look at which nation gets the most tourists..

OMG- it's France ..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings

Not to me. I'd hazard a guess a large swat of 'international tourist' to France are Europeans. Likely millions of Britons do and would be at top tier of the lot. Which would then blow a hole in your assertion of the relationship between the two.

That's not much of an 'international traveling in my book if it takes you an hour to fly to, or drive for that matter.

Now if France was an ocean apart, like Australia for example, maybe even the US, I doubt they'd beat the number of tourist the Galapagos island generates.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline msmob

Travel and Perceptions
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2017, 12:45:29 AM »
Not to me.

:)

I'd hazard a guess a large swat of 'international tourist' to France are Europeans. Likely millions of Britons do and would be at top tier of the lot. Which would then blow a hole in your assertion of the relationship between the two.

Er NO....  Britons top destination - by MILES is Spain ..  Now where does that leave your 'theory' ?;)

That's not much of an 'international traveling in my book if it takes you an hour to fly to, or drive for that matter.

The irony is that that 'hour or two' leads Brits to several countries - speaking a range of languages - FAR more different cultural changes and new experiences than say US - Canada - Quebec - being an exception ...

Now if France was an ocean apart, like Australia for example, maybe even the US, I doubt they'd beat the number of tourist the Galapagos island generates.

Agree.... where do most tourists come from to the US (#2 on the list ) ?  Really - I don't know.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 01:54:59 AM by msmob »

Offline BillyB

Travel and Perceptions
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2017, 01:16:11 AM »
I simply proved that the so called 'rudest' nation status was achieved from a poll whereby 700+ of those polled where from a nation that has a love to hate relationship with France ...

That was one of many, many, many polls having France on top for being the rudest nation. You can find a poll of all Americans saying the French are rude. There's no reason for American loving to hate France. If they are losing in another war, we'd be there for them again no matter how rude they are.

Offline msmob

Travel and Perceptions
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2017, 01:59:26 AM »

That was one of many, many, many polls having France on top for being the rudest nation. You can find a poll of all Americans saying the French are rude. There's no reason for American loving to hate France. If they are losing in another war, we'd be there for them again no matter how rude they are.

Well now BillyB - I note you STILL cannot make the jump that the most popular Tourist destination on the world is also the place considered - just - to be the most rude ;)

I'm sure the French thank the USA, Canada, et al on June 6th every year - but I expect you don't pay attention ...

Perhaps - if there is a next time - if the USA isn't examining it's own navel - a more swift intervention - would be appreciated...

Offline GQBlues

Travel and Perceptions
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2017, 07:07:17 AM »
:)

Er NO....  Britons top destination - by MILES is Spain ..  Now where does that leave your 'theory' ?;)

The irony is that that 'hour or two' leads Brits to several countries - speaking a range of languages - FAR more different cultural changes and new experiences than say US - Canada - Quebec - being an exception ...

Agree.... where do most tourists come from to the US (#2 on the list ) ?  Really - I don't know.

Actually I didn't say France was the Brits' #1 destination. I said it may well be that the Brits are one of the most visitors to France. Estimate places about 17 million Brits visit France every year.

83% of Europe's tourists live within Europe, including France since it borders 8 different countries.

All I'm asserting with this fact is in concert to the 'poll' discussed above where the sample was taken largely from Europeans. If they generate the largest number of visitors to France then it only makes sense choosing them to conduct a survey.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 07:08:56 AM by GQBlues »
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline Jumper

Travel and Perceptions
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2017, 10:21:09 AM »
Well now BillyB - I note you STILL cannot make the jump that the most popular Tourist destination on the world is also the place considered - just - to be the most rude ;)

I'm sure the French thank the USA, Canada, et al on June 6th every year - but I expect you don't pay attention ...

Perhaps - if there is a next time - if the USA isn't examining it's own navel - a more swift intervention - would be appreciated...

We know who gave us the statue of liberty moby lol.

If the UK is still sore about  the French helping us drop the British empires yoke,or the French for us not helping enough in asia, then yeah ,perhaps next time we will just sit it out entirely.Its what the rest of the world pretends they want anyway?
:) most of the time I'd  agree they'd be right.

As far as tourism to the US, I havnt googled it ;)

From extensive travel in the US to many tourist destinations my guess would be Asians,  as even a fraction of their population can do so, it still likely outnumbered other visitor's.
Again  just a guess from observation, nothing factual.

Are we all next going to see who pisses furthest in meters or feet?
 ;D

Either way I'm sure Billyb at 5yo could out distance everyone, without being rude.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 02:23:46 PM by Jumper »

Offline Brasscasing

• Trips: No Selection
Travel and Perceptions
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2017, 11:20:14 AM »
The French are apparently aware of the problem. From 2015...

France desperate to ditch its reputation for rudeness

..."Once voted the least welcoming country in Europe, France is launching a huge campaign to encourage waiters, taxi drivers and hoteliers to be more polite."...

..."Now France's foreign minister Laurent Fabius admitted that the welcome tourists receive is "not always extraordinary" and encouraged his countrymen to improve the way they treat foreigners. "To put it diplomatically, we have room for improvement here," he said."...

..."A report by the Council for the Promotion of Tourism revealed that holidaymakers were 30 per cent less satisfied with their stays in France than in other European countries, The Times reports"...

http://www.theweek.co.uk/63986/france-desperate-to-ditch-its-reputation-for-rudeness

In my travels I've heard more derogatory comments as to how the Belgique treat foreigners than the French.

My younger son has just returned from Europe and reported he had a great time in Austria, Germany, Netherlands, Romania as well as France and Belgium, so who knows.

Canada has one of those 'special relationships' with France so we might get treated a bit different, though (Anglophone vs. Francophone issue aside).

Brass
...Build the wall. Even Heaven has a gate...

"Because without America there is no free world" ~ Canada Free Press

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
Travel and Perceptions
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 04:49:23 PM »
I've posted this before, but it's probably worth repeating as the subject rears its ugly head yet again.

Certain people in EVERY country are rude - there is no denying that fact.  Most of those in the USA seem to be employed by the TSA if reports are anything to go by  :o (I haven't been there since the TSA was created, so can't comment from personal experience).

When I first visited France, I spoke nearly fluent French.  Despite being welcomed by many people, I was still amazed by just how rude some Parisians were - not just service staff, but all manner of people (including tour guides, who you think would be one group who would at least try to appear helpful).  I put it down to my girlfriend and I being foreigners but, when I mentioned some of my experiences to other people in France later in the trip, they just laughed and said "it's not you - they treat EVERYONE from outside Paris like that."

If Boethius's comments are accurate, then things have markedly improved over the years, whcih is good to see.

Those of us who have been to Russia have also all experienced rudeness to varying degrees - some of it downright nasty.  Again, it doesn't matter who you are - there will always be someone, somewhere, who simply revels in their little bit of power, or supposed superiority, to score points and make you wish that you weren't there.  Hopefully, those people are more than counterbalanced by the nice ones that you will also meet on your travels.

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
Travel and Perceptions
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2017, 05:41:27 PM »
Never found anyone in France to be rude. I do think they’re sticklers for rules, more so than Canadians.

The rudest people I’ve encountered in travels are Russians and Ukrainians.

The most polite I’ve encountered have been Japanese. I’ve never been to Japan, but have met a lot of Japanese travelers.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline GQBlues

Travel and Perceptions
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2017, 05:56:10 PM »
FWIW~

The nicest persons/country I met in my travels...

1 The UK
2 Chilean
3 Canadians
4 The Philippines

The rudest.

1 Seoul, SK
2 France
3 Austria
4 Germany

Offline ML

Travel and Perceptions
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2017, 06:44:51 PM »
Nicest people:

Ireland
Turkey
Philippines
Canada
Sweden

Worst:

France
Russia
New York City
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline msmob

Travel and Perceptions
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2017, 07:38:14 PM »
I've met nice and rude people in my travels and the rude ones stick out - but I don't let them spoil my overall impression of a nation.... ;)

In my numerous visits to Belgium - I've never met a rude one - never even heard of anyone saying anything negative - ( other than some can be a bit 'aggressive' - too close to my car's arse, on a motorway(!) - perhaps because so many speak English ?

Last night, on returning down a hill that was too bumpy for the car - from a Dacha - I found another Dacha owner's son (down the lane from my host's) had blocked in my car - and the whole lane - with his car - my host's wife had told me it was OK to park there.......

He refused to come out - so a long blow on the car horn of my host was made my his brother - ( elder Bro -my host - was not pleased) - and the blocker in came out - most angry - complaining about "stupid Americans" ))

He was the only person shouting and not very tall and eye-balled my host.... I simply laughed and proceeded to film him as I could see he might make the first physical aggressive act - and he calmed down - now cursing Brits - as he had been informed the car was British - the GB sticker on the back wasn't enough of a clue ? ...

He opened his gates and parked on his drive ... so his blocking in my car and the whole lane was a bit of a pointless exercise ... 

Does it make Russians 'rude'? ...no - as he was clearly of Caucaus extraction and even I could tell spoke with a heavy RU accent ... 

The Brits  voted themselves the worst tourists - so I guess I'm flying the flag ;)

Offline fathertime

Travel and Perceptions
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2017, 07:49:21 PM »
Nicest for me
Colombia
Mexico.
Bahamas 

Rude.

I haven't encountered any noticeable rudeness yet.  I may just not notice it. That goes for France too although the Casino in Nice was rude to me by taking all my money in very short order. 

Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline ML

Travel and Perceptions
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 10:56:45 AM »
The thread for nice vs rude people can now be found here.

Offline msmob

Travel and Perceptions
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2017, 12:50:48 PM »
I vote ML is nice - not 'grumpy', Maxx ;)

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541008
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1880
Total: 1891

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM