Forum > Questions to Russian Ladies / Спросите Русских Женщин

Two kinds of passports in Ukraine?

(1/2) > >>

cameraguymn:
Is there a traveling passport and an internal regular passport? Someone told me this recently - not sure if this is true or not.

cameraguymn:
Well I learned something new today. There are indeed two. One for travel abroad and one for internal id.

ML:

--- Quote from: cameraguymn on November 09, 2021, 09:18:24 AM ---Is there a traveling passport and an internal regular passport? Someone told me this recently - not sure if this is true or not.

--- End quote ---

Yes, there certainly are two passports.

At the most innocent level, the internal passport acted somewhat  like our drivers license.  i.e. Just a simple method of identification.

But at a more sinister level, the internal one was how the Soviet system kept control over the population.

For instance, just one example is that the internal one was stamped with the person's assigned place of residence.  Had to get permission to move.

Boethius:

--- Quote from: ML on November 09, 2021, 09:40:13 AM ---Had to get permission to move.

--- End quote ---

That depends on where one moved.  One could move easily to non closed cities, but it was difficult to move to closed cities.

Brillynt:
Internal passports also show if you are married, how many children you have until they are adults. Though Ukraine is now switching to more of a ID card instead of a internal passport. For a little while there were 2 kinds of international passports. Biometric and non Biometric, my wife has one of both. One thing my wife did not like was that my ID's and passport did not show my marital status. Fortunately I was truely single when we met.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version