It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Is Russia currently safe for an American tourist and wife hunter?  (Read 7633 times)

Offline Omega82

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
I'm a seasoned traveler and I've been to Russia four times.  I'm American.  I am a bit concerned about the current political situation between our countries and specifically regarding the American citizen detained in Russia.  I would like to know if the experts here think Russia is safe to visit for an American.  And I would also like to extend that same question regarding Turkey since it is a big hub and common stopping point for flights to Eurasia. 

Offline GenMish

Re: Is Russia currently safe for an American tourist and wife hunter?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 07:18:33 AM »
I'm a seasoned traveler and I've been to Russia four times.  I'm American.  I am a bit concerned about the current political situation between our countries and specifically regarding the American citizen detained in Russia.  I would like to know if the experts here think Russia is safe to visit for an American.  And I would also like to extend that same question regarding Turkey since it is a big hub and common stopping point for flights to Eurasia.

If you have been 4 times, you know its always been fine. In 26 years, I never had problems with the authorities. In fact, I always found them very kind to me like they had an admiration for Americans. Even during the Serbian conflict, I was welcomed. Russians don't show it on the outside, but they DESPERATELY want to be accepted and RESPECTED by the West

The main risk you have is America. Will the USA slow down or even start turning down K1 Visas if the political issues escalate?

Offline oso

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 07:26:15 AM »
Get married there and do a consulate filing for visa in Moscow

Offline Jamesukjames

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 07:51:58 AM »
Turkey for brits.  Istanbul seemed ok.  Lots of black moustaches and aks  .  November 2018

Online krimster2

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 08:05:39 AM »
it depends, there isn’t a simple answer...
putting it in context, is America safe?

if you have ever had a security clearance, (I have, several times) or served in the American military (I have as well), and have advanced engineering degrees (ditto!), you will need to truthfully detail all this on your Russian visa application (note: this detail is ONLY for Americans!)

if you have the above characteristics, Russia ALREADY knows about you!!
when I lived in Crimea, I paid my GRU contact $100 to get Russia’s file on me!
it had every detail of my life, including my bank account numbers
so there’s no point in lying, they could use that by itself as justification for deportation or imprisonment.

from my experience of living over there...
biggest danger, drunk young guys who want to show off by harassing foreigners
pick pockets
cars driving on sidewalks, collapsing buildings, etc...

do NOT publicly talk politics or say ANYTHING bad or offensive about Russia or Putin
common sense... ok....

Turkey, stay away from “western night clubs” that serve alcohol, they’re ISIS fav targets followed by public transport, so always take taxis
Turkey is an AWESOME place to explore, but dress and behave like a local!!!

Offline msmob

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 10:17:21 AM »
Turkey for brits.  Istanbul seemed ok.  Lots of black moustaches and aks  .  November 2018

??

WHAT ?

AK47's ? In Turkey ...

More likely imitations

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/turkeys-gun-culture-450180405

Turkey has been a very popular holiday spot for Brits, Russians, Ukrainians and I've only met a few wackos who seriously believe their PM that the US 'supports Kurdish terrorists' ...

Russia: The arrested guy is also British  ( Dual citizen ) and I'd not be at all worried to travel there as a citizen of either nation ...

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2019, 10:30:19 AM »
Yep checked out the security guards and it was a 47 and not a 74

Offline SteveInBoston

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2019, 10:39:42 AM »
The only downside currently with Russia is the longer K1 fiance visa time.  For example, in Ukraine if your application is ready and your paperwork complete, you can schedule an interview in Kiev in 2 days, maybe a week at most.  In Russia, the Moscow embassy currently has no interview slots for the next 3 months.

But that is current situation.  In a year, or more, when things go well and you are ready for a fiance visa, it may improve.

I am a pretty cautious guy and would not consider Russia if I had any military or high security clearance background.  However, I have neither so I didn't hesitate in getting a 3 year multi entry visa when I was considering a Russian woman last year.

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2019, 10:51:43 AM »
The only downside currently with Russia is the longer K1 fiance visa time.  For example, in Ukraine if your application is ready and your paperwork complete, you can schedule an interview in Kiev in 2 days, maybe a week at most.  In Russia, the Moscow embassy currently has no interview slots for the next 3 months.

But that is current situation.  In a year, or more, when things go well and you are ready for a fiance visa, it may improve.

I am a pretty cautious guy and would not consider Russia if I had any military or high security clearance background.  However, I have neither so I didn't hesitate in getting a 3 year multi entry visa when I was considering a Russian woman last year.

Both Russia and the US have forced each other to decrease the staffing levels at their embassy and consulates so it's unlikely wait times will improve even in the next year or two.

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 11:44:07 AM »
Steve it's the other way round it's your value to your home country that will determine if anyone gives a damn about you going missing or becoming a statistic .   At least with military training you know to play the grey man something krim advises elsewhere

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 12:03:37 PM »

DHS have an advisory board that lodges announcements for travel warnings. Best you pay attention to that rather than anecdotal information from strangers in the 'net you don't know. You'll get better mileage doing that.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 01:08:45 PM »
Gov UK.   Is another site that gives travel advice and tends to be very conservative.  All depends how risk adverse you are.

Offline DCcowboy

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2019, 06:19:25 PM »
Depends on how your employer feels about it! In the case of mine they said not unless I wanted my Job.

Offline Cameraguy

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 08:29:25 PM »
MOSCOW -- Paul Whelan, a former U.S. Marine detained in Moscow on spy charges, was given a flash drive containing a “state secret,” his lawyer said Tuesday, delivering the first official details in a mysterious case that has been wrapped in silence for weeks.

Whelan, 48, who also holds British, Canadian and Irish citizenship, was arrested by Russian security services in late December, during what his family said was a personal trip to the Russian capital. He was later charged with the relatively broad crime of espionage.

Speaking in a Moscow court, his lawyer Vladimir Zherebenkov
told reporters, “How he got [the flash drive], what he was supposed to do with it, and whether Whelan knew that he had secret information is unknown.”

I figured something like this. Avoid being in possession of a flash drive containing Russian state secrets and you'll be fine.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 09:10:18 PM by Cameraguy »

Offline ML

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 09:33:53 PM »
Avoid being in possession of a flash drive containing Russian state secrets and you'll be fine.

And just how could one guarantee this ?

You don't think it could be planted in your room, dropped into your coat pocket, put into your car, etc., etc., etc.?
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Omega82

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 10:30:41 PM »
Well Daniloff (arrested in 1986) didn't have a military background and nor does the American pastor that was arrested in Izmir Turkey in 2016.  This is all rather disturbing. 

Offline Cameraguy

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2019, 11:41:44 PM »
ML, you're right, it's very possible this guy is being set up. He thought the flash drive contained photos and videos from a previous trip. The article goes on to say:
Whelan’s arrest came shortly after Maria Butina, a Russian gun rights activist, pleaded guilty to conspiring to infiltrate conservative U.S. circles. The timing has sparked suspicions that Russia may have detained Whelan to negotiate another swap.

I just think the chances of it happening to any of us is miniscule. But as Russians say (with a shrug) eta Rossiya -- it's Russia, meaning anything is possible.

Also, if it is a setup, the guy they chose has a dishonorable conduct discharge and conviction for fraud and theft while in the Marines. This is common in order to sow doubt about his innocence.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 06:21:21 AM by Cameraguy »

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 12:29:10 AM »
Borispol ukraine certainly saw security checking laptops by powering up as I searched for somewhere to throw away my excess water.

Offline naj.juliya

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2019, 09:58:03 PM »
Of course it is safe if you really came for the bride. You do not live in Russia, and go to visit. For tourists, Russia is hospitable. Just the bride must choose a decent one. And sorry for my English, if something is wrong.
«A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is a reality» (John Lennon).

Offline Gator

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2019, 09:24:50 AM »
Of course it is safe if you really came for the bride. You do not live in Russia, and go to visit. For tourists, Russia is hospitable. Just the bride must choose a decent one. And sorry for my English, if something is wrong.

Hello again Juliya!

Yes, Russians are hospitable people.  If you visit a Russian woman, she will probably introduce you to her family and friends.  She will show you the highlights of her city. 

With regard to safety, she will grab your hand to pull you when crossing the wide boulevards common in the large cities.  Pedestrians have no rights in Russia; even the stray dogs and babushki with their short legs  rush across when the traffic light turns.   A Russian woman will also guide you around dangers one might never suspect, such as roof icicles one-meter in length that could drop on your head in early spring thaw. 

Online krimster2

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2019, 09:49:25 AM »
in 2001, the Russian homicide rate was 30.5 per 100,000
that would make it 1/3,277 chance of being murdered per yr
assaults, robbery, probably much greater, but I just spent all day on easter eggs, so I’m too lazy to look it up

my experience living 3 yr in crimea: I was involved in two “altercations”
one, when a gang tried to rob me, and were disappointed that “all I had” was a knife
and second time when a group of drunk hooligans harassed my wife for money they too were disappointed about my knife

however, I believe the original question was in regards to the Russian gov and not its citizens
Russian government has the hostages it needs now, it’s really not necessary for them to acquire more, so don’t be vorried tovarisch

back in the 90‘s I took a trip to “Sybir” part of it was a road trip, had to wait to join up with a convoy for protection against “bandits”, a lone vehicle would be too vulnerable

hope this info helps...

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2019, 07:19:56 PM »
even the stray dogs and babushki with their short legs  rush across when the traffic light turns.
Reminds of what I saw in Rio de Janeiro a long time ago: a large dog crossing the wide, 3-lane Avenida Atlantica was hit by a passing car; although obviously hurt, it dashed on 3 legs to the safety island in the middle, knowing it had no chances of survival remaining where it had been hit ;).

« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 07:23:09 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline ML

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2019, 08:15:09 PM »
Reminds of what I saw in Rio de Janeiro a long time ago: a large dog crossing the wide, 3-lane Avenida Atlantica was hit by a passing car; although obviously hurt, it dashed on 3 legs to the safety island in the middle, knowing it had no chances of survival remaining where it had been hit ;).

So the dog was smart enough to know where 'a' safety zone was, yet not smart enough to avoid going out of the more obvious safety zones on each side of the street.

Yeah, yeah I know; a lady in heat was on the other side of the street.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Online krimster2

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2019, 08:26:25 PM »
not a smart dog?
he was able to divide 13 by 4 and get the right answer!!!!
3 and carry 1

Offline ML

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2019, 08:39:02 PM »

With regard to safety, she will grab your hand to pull you when crossing the wide boulevards common in the large cities. 

This happened to me, even with FSU business women that were in our walking group going to restaurants, etc.

Even more unusual was that some of them asked me if I needed to go to the toilet before we left buildings.

Many also warned me about women who would try to seduce me.
I asked for a list.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 1994
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1981
Total: 1991

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM