It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Translating letters  (Read 3455 times)

Offline Turboguy

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Translating letters
« on: March 09, 2005, 11:17:42 AM »
For those who get your letters in Russian and translate them on the interent I did a little comparison that I thought was interesting.    There have been conversations about AltaVista and Translate.ru and someone had commented that they use the same engines and they were all the same. 

I have always used AltaVista.  It is where I stared and I was used to it. I decided to compare and this is how it came out.

Origional Message

Ray,спасибо за цветы.Ты очень внимателен.Но почему не пишешь?Не пишешь- значит не хочешь.Я надеюсь у тебя всё хорошо и жду тебя 24-ого марта.Очень скучаю.Людмила.

Alta Vista Translation

Ray, with thanks for tsvety.Ty very vnimatelen.No why not pishesh'?Ne you write it means not khochesh'.Ya I hope in you all and I await well you 24- oho marta.Ochen' of skuchayu.Lyudmila.

Translate.ru Translation

Ray, thanks for flowers. You are very close. But why you do not write? пишешь-means you want. I hope at you all well and I wait for you on 24-th of March. Very much I miss. Lyudmila.

I think I have used Alta Vista for the last time.   There is a world of difference between the two.   The Translate.ru site was close to perfect the Alta vista was mostly garbage.   We can have a new saying to replace GIGO  RIGO  (Russian in Gargage out)    I hope this might help some of you who need to to translate letter from Russian.

Offline Bruno

Translating letters
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 11:24:13 AM »
Turbo,

you message translate by a other one ( not perfect ):

Ray,thanks for the flowers.You is very attentive.But why you do not write?You do not write it means you do not want.I hope in you all and I await well you 24- oho March.Greatly I am bored.Ludmila.

Try it at http://www.worldlingo.com/en/products_services/worldlingo_translator.html ... you can use it for surf on russian site ... he have a URL translator...

And the best one but sometime slow at http://www.freetranslation.com/ :

Ray, thanks for flowers. You are very close(attentive). But why you do not write? You do not write means you do not want. I hope at you all well and I wait for you on 24-th of March. Very much I miss. Lyudmila.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 11:31:00 AM by Bruno »

Offline Bruce

Translating letters
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 11:28:59 AM »
Bruno, that is the best program I have seen on the net based on that translation!  Great find.
"A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day."  Emily Dickinson

Offline Turboguy

Translating letters
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 11:54:17 AM »
Thanks for the additonal sites and the comparisons.  That is really interesting to see how much difference there really is.    I think the theory that they all use the same engine and are all the same does not have much validity to it.   Free Translation does look like the winner.   Alta vista is definately the looser - big time.

Offline Bruno

Translating letters
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 01:02:06 PM »
freetranslation is very good... for usual text... but worldlingo is very interesting for more complex translation... Select "show advanced option" ... and see the "subject glossary" ... great...

the advanced option of freetranslation lead you to a page with price of service :(

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541334
Total Topics: 20861
Most Online Today: 2843
Most Online Ever: 12701