It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: First trip to Russia  (Read 36435 times)

Offline DCcowboy

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
First trip to Russia
« on: December 25, 2018, 09:02:19 AM »
I have decided to head to see my lady for our first meeting on a long weekend. Unfortunately I can't make it longer trip, but I can't wait anymore to meet her. She said she would want a longer time for our first meeting but would be excited to see me. She is still planning on coming the end of March.
This will be my first time traveling internationally. Getting a visa, did you guys just use the Russian consulate web site? How long did it take? Is there a better airline to use? I was looking at a Delta/Aeroflot combo flight. Is there more than one airport in Moscow? DC has three is the reason I ask. Any other useful information will be helpful. Thanks
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 08:47:28 PM by DCcowboy »

Offline msmob

• Trips: > 10
Re: First trip to Russia
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2018, 09:39:51 AM »
I have decided to head to see my lady for our first meeting on a long weekend. Unfortunately I can't make it longer trip, but I can't wait anymore to meet her. She said she would want a longer time for our first meeting but would be excited to see me. She is still planning on coming the end of March.
This will be my first time traveling internationally. Getting a visa, did you guys just use the Russian consulate web site? How long did it take? Is there a better airline to use? I was looking at a Delta/Aeroflot combo flight. Is there more than one airport in Russia? DC has three is the reason I ask. Any other useful information will be helpful. Thanks

By Russia,

Did you mean Moscow ?

There are 3 international airports ...  Depending on where your lady lives - one might be more suitable than another - given it is easier to go into the centre by AeroExpress train services

Can't help on the Visa front - sorry ...  not from your side of the pond

Good luck and keep asking questions  - most of us will try to help you

Offline whynotme

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2018, 09:40:29 AM »
Is there more than one airport in Russia?
:cluebat:
Did they ban you at google? Where from the US? Where to in Russia? If you ask such questions, better use an  agency to apply for Visa. Of course it will take time, 2 weeks minimum. Choose Aeroflot for the flight, beautiful and young stuardesses there  ;D.

Offline LAman

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2018, 09:41:15 AM »
Dude, long way to go for long weekend. Better you on weak east coast than west coast.

She can plan all she wants, trying to get US visa is better description. Not as easy now as it was several years ago.

I'll give you a few tidbits. Probably best you get 30 day visa. Big difference now is price between 30 day vs 3 year.
All depends on how often you will go. At moment you can't sure what will happen. Anyways cheapest is using ILS site, you do all work( application, sending, receiving, corrections if mistakes). There is a location in DC. I used VISAHQ, they are very simple, fill out their application, they fill out original appl for you and call you for any further questions to get appl right. There is an addl fee for their use. After all paperwork in, about 2 weeks get passport back with visa.

http://ils-usa.com/
http://www.visahq.com/russia/

There are many other companies out there to file for your visa. You can no longer go/mail to consulate/embassy to get visa, all through mail now.

Russia has 3 airports, all very far from each other and quite a distance from centre. If you use Aeroflot, you'll fly into SVO, my favorite, quick and easy through immigration.

What do you mean long weekend? Fri-Mon? You lose a day flying east. I do know there is non-stop Mos-DC on Mondays.
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline Nightwish

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2018, 09:45:47 AM »
Dude, long way to go for long weekend. Better you on weak east coast than west coast.

She can plan all she wants, trying to get US visa is better description. Not as easy now as it was several years ago.

I'll give you a few tidbits. Probably best you get 30 day visa. Big difference now is price between 30 day vs 3 year.
All depends on how often you will go. At moment you can't sure what will happen. Anyways cheapest is using ILS site, you do all work( application, sending, receiving, corrections if mistakes). There is a location in DC. I used VISAHQ, they are very simple, fill out their application, they fill out original appl for you and call you for any further questions to get appl right. There is an addl fee for their use. After all paperwork in, about 2 weeks get passport back with visa.

http://ils-usa.com/
http://www.visahq.com/russia/

There are many other companies out there to file for your visa. You can no longer go/mail to consulate/embassy to get visa, all through mail now.

Russia has 3 airports, all very far from each other and quite a distance from centre. If you use Aeroflot, you'll fly into SVO, my favorite, quick and easy through immigration.

What do you mean long weekend? Fri-Mon? You lose a day flying east. I do know there is non-stop Mos-DC on Mondays.

I am quite sure Russia has more then 3 airports..   ;D
Multitasking means screwing up several things at once.

Offline msmob

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2018, 09:47:05 AM »

Russia has 3 airports, all very far from each other..

I guess we can put down these 'funnies' to Christmas over indulgence ?;)

Offline LAman

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 09:51:07 AM »
I am quite sure Russia has more then 3 airports..   ;D

It has 4 commercial but don't know many from USA that would fly into Zhukovsky. Have you? ))

Offline Nightwish

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 09:55:53 AM »

It has 4 commercial but don't know many from USA that would fly into Zhukovsky. Have you? ))

Russia? We are talking about Russia, I am not sure, but I know Moscow has 3, St Pete 1, Sochi 1, Kaliningrad 1, Novosibirsk 1, Volgograd 1

That's 8.
or has Russia been invaded and shrunk down to only Moscow in the past couple of days?

According to Wikipedia, Russia has 11 international airports.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 09:59:49 AM by Nightwish »

Offline whynotme

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2018, 09:57:18 AM »

Moscow is not the whole Russia   :wallbash: You, guys, continue to surprise me.

Offline whynotme

Offline msmob

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2018, 10:07:46 AM »
You could book a mini cruise to St Petersburg and you'll be able to meet her there - without a visa

Offline LAman

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2018, 10:14:35 AM »
Russia? We are talking about Russia, I am not sure, but I know Moscow has 3, St Pete 1, Sochi 1, Kaliningrad 1, Novosibirsk 1, Volgograd 1

That's 8.
or has Russia been invaded and shrunk down to only Moscow in the past couple of days?

According to Wikipedia, Russia has 11 international airports.

Well if you read the OP's first post here, you would know girl in question LIVES in Moscow!!!

Sorry, I saw my mistake, should have wrote "Moscow has 3 airports"!!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 10:17:11 AM by LAman »

Offline msmob

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2018, 10:17:13 AM »

Well if you read the OP's first post here, you would know girl in question LIVES in Moscow!!!

Neither he or YOU mention Moscow in your first posts ( here )  .... but we figured it out ...  much ( harmless) fun

Offline LAman

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2018, 10:19:22 AM »
Neither he or YOU mention Moscow in your first posts ( here )  .... but we figured it out ...  much ( harmless) fun

You get did notice I wrote SVO, yes??????

I did remember OP mentioning Moscow originally.

You do all know USA has 4 airports!!!
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 10:21:23 AM by LAman »

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2018, 10:47:29 AM »
Wow cowboy cowboyed up at last.  A former g f from belarus had a USA visa last year and failed to get a repeat USA visa.   She's a belarus lawyer and has a child who stays in belarus with her grandmother when her mother travels.  So UK and USA visas are getting harder to get.

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2018, 10:50:38 AM »
Also cowboy relax and just see how she looks after you a great predictor of the future

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2018, 12:46:07 PM »
This will be my first time traveling internationally. Getting a visa, did you guys just use the Russian consulate web site? How long did it take? Is there a better airline to use? I was looking at a Delta/Aeroflot combo flight. Is there more than one airport in Russia? DC has three is the reason I ask. Any other useful information will be helpful. Thanks

As others have mentioned there are multiple airports in Moscow - DME, VKO, SVO, ZIA. Ask your lady which is best to arrive at for getting to her place. Ideally it would be best if she met you at the airport and took you to your hotel/apartment although this may be too much for a first meeting. Getting a good quality map, hard copy or on your phone, of Moscow. 

Even if you're not staying with her you'll want a hotel/apartment close to her place. You do not want to have to navigate Moscow public transit for an hour or more to visit her.

Once you know where she lives you can then plan how to arrive in Moscow. Then when you know when you're going start looking at different websites to plan your flight. Costs can vary greatly if money matters.

As for a visa take a look at this site for help:

http://waytorussia.net/Travel/VisaSupport.html

Never used the embassy site and I've heard talking to embassy staff isn't too helpful but you might get lucky.   

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2018, 01:01:46 PM »
Hi DC, I'm assuming since your girl is Ukrainian this meeting is happening in Russia due to work reasons, or other reasons.

I've found that while such meet up ideas can sound like the perfect solution on paper in reality they can add to the complexity of a meet up and become quite a deal to work with particularly as they can throw up issues. For second destination meet ups it's probably best to go to countries with the easiest entry situation. For Ukraine, Turkey is often seen as the country that is immediately easiest for Ukrainians to get into, westerners also. It's visa free for both and good currency conversion rates. At this time if year it will be a lot warmer than Moscow also :)
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Nightwish

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2018, 01:10:36 PM »
Hi DC, I'm assuming since your girl is Ukrainian this meeting is happening in Russia due to work reasons, or other reasons.

I've found that while such meet up ideas can sound like the perfect solution on paper in reality they can add to the complexity of a meet up and become quite a deal to work with particularly as they can throw up issues. For second destination meet ups it's probably best to go to countries with the easiest entry situation. For Ukraine, Turkey is often seen as the country that is immediately easiest for Ukrainians to get into, westerners also. It's visa free for both and good currency conversion rates. At this time if year it will be a lot warmer than Moscow also :)

Did you think again? We all know that is not your strong suit.

So I started looking, and eventually started communicating with a wonderful lady from Moscow a little over a month ago off of Elenasmodels.

Offline JayH

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2018, 01:15:54 PM »

immediately easiest for Ukrainians to get into, westerners also. It's visa free for both

Wrong-- again ( & again & again)
How many times do you have to be told to stop posting INCORRECT information!
It is bad enough posting your inane opinions and arse up conclusions  as "advice" but it helps no one posting fundamentally WRONG info of factual issues.

As a aside - can you not read what the OP has actually said  ? IE in this case -- my recollection is the "girl" is RUSSIAN from Moscow !So-- go check a few facts -- and see how much of your post is nonsense-- again.
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2018, 02:20:22 PM »
immediately easiest for Ukrainians to get into, westerners also. It's visa free for both

Wrong-- again ( & again & again)
How many times do you have to be told to stop posting INCORRECT information!
It is bad enough posting your inane opinions and arse up conclusions  as "advice" but it helps no one posting fundamentally WRONG info of factual issues.

As a aside - can you not read what the OP has actually said  ? IE in this case -- my recollection is the "girl" is RUSSIAN from Moscow !So-- go check a few facts -- and see how much of your post is nonsense-- again.

Well he's thread went on a bit but I always got the impression they met in Kiev, she was from Kiev. That he passed over on 'the Duchess' for her.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2018, 02:22:01 PM »
Well he's thread went on a bit but I always got the impression they met in Kiev, she was from Kiev. That he passed over on 'the Duchess' for her.

Whoops! Yeah just realised that it was probably BB I was thinking of I think :-\

Offline msmob

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2018, 04:37:28 PM »

Russia has 3 airports,

You get did notice I wrote SVO, yes??????

LAman .. it's Christmas - it was only ( an amusing ) typo ....   nothing worth getting so defensive about

You were helping, 'we' only slightly teased you

Merry Christmas

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2018, 08:25:48 PM »
Moscow has 3 international airports as others have mentioned. It is the largest city in Europe, larger than DC. Codes: SVO, DME, VKO

Where she lives will help determine where you land, but you must also understand that some airports are more convenient for certain airlines.

For example, if flying Delta and Aeroflot, you'll come into SVO. United will terminate at DME, etc.

What alarmed me was the statement that she is coming in March. Sorry, unless she has a visa which is very hard to get, she is not coming. Don't fall for the "a friend is a travel agent, and with some help ($$$) from you she can get me a visa" scam.

Since this is your first trip, contact a travel agent that will not only arrange flights, but apply for your entry visa. My personal recommendation is East-West-Tours in Seattle. Google them. They are accredited with the Russian government and can give good advice on how to navigate your first entry into Russia.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 08:29:43 PM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline DCcowboy

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2018, 08:49:27 PM »
Thanks all for the responses, too much eggnog...... Lol, yeah meant Moscow.....  :cluebat:
She is most definitely Russian not Ukrainian.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 08:52:31 PM by DCcowboy »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541000
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1890
Total: 1901

+-Recent Posts

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM