It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Differences in Culture  (Read 2143 times)

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Differences in Culture
« on: August 25, 2007, 02:54:31 AM »
I was talking to a Russian woman on the phone about the differences in culture and culture shock.
During the conversation I listed a number of differences between living here and living there. Things that a woman would have to get used to.

I am sure this has been discussed before, but I thought it would be a good idea to put together a list, with the help of others here.

I bought an online book which is slightly outdated, Looking at the clock it is O dark thirty and I am going to hit the sack. I will contribute some more to this post tomorrow.

Take care,

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline Rvrwind

• Commercial Member
Re: Differences in Culture
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 03:54:50 AM »
Anything she will have to get used to in the west will be easier, more organized & a hell of a lot safer & user friendly than what she is used to here!! ::)
Tver Angels Local and International Introductions
Classy Ladies for Discerning Gentlemen

RVR-Canadian Cowboy
Dyin' is easy, it's livin' thats hard!!!

Offline Misha

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 09:16:23 AM »
Anything she will have to get used to in the west will be easier, more organized & a hell of a lot safer & user friendly than what she is used to here!! ::)

I disagree. I have the advantage (or the disadvantage) of speaking Russian and I have read what Russian women post on Russian language sites about their life overseas. You cannot imagine how much complaining goes on....

The big complaint will be the issue of language and work. The first may be quite the challenge and in the second it might take years before you even think of building a career or finding a job that you think suits the education you had in Russia or Ukraine.

Then, the complaints will expand to cover issues that deal with relationships. I have heard women complain that yes life in the West is easier, but it lacks in "soul." They miss the homeland and Russians with their wide, expansive, good-natured, hospitable soul. They even miss at times the Russian men that are nostalgically depicted as more romantic and passionate.

Then, many will complain that they cannot find true friends in their new countries, that their friends back home were so much more sincere and they could talk soul-to-soul with them. They will go on and on explaining how in the West people are not as sincere as they are back home.

You have to keep in mind that once you are living in your new country, then you can come up with a nostalgic ideal that may or not exist in reality. And, the very things that we think are good, will be devalued as really bad. One Russian woman, who is engaged to be married in Canada, told me that she finds people in Canada too materialistic when compared to people back home. Here, they are only interested in big houses and cars. I had to remind her that Russians also love material things and given the opportunity will happily buy big houses, apartments and cars, but to no avail....

Simply put then, some women will be happy because they are now living in a  country that is less chaotic and safer than what they experienced back home. However, many will also suffer from nostalgia and loss of homeland. For some this is a passing phase (a few months, perhaps a year) for others they are still complaining how much things are better back home after 4 or 5 years living in Canada. 

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 10:03:55 AM »
Biggest problem: Dealing with the uneducated, small minded, bohunk, idiot Americans and the overweight women here who are jealous and insecure.

2nd biggest problem: USCIS.

Order switched depending upon the day and what the members of each category have done lately.

Ken
"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline redsquare

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 11:30:05 AM »
it's all about how you approach things. If you come to a foreign country with an open mind, then you get used to things differently. If you expect things to be like you're used to, then you're in trouble. The security and friendliness will only so far, after a couple of years you need way more than that.
The post above about the complaints is on target, i think all of those are very common, but not necessarily justified.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541271
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 2956
Most Online Ever: 12701