It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Made in Ukraine?!  (Read 3602 times)

Offline wallm

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Made in Ukraine?!
« on: October 20, 2016, 05:58:02 PM »
So, I was at Nordstrom today looking for a nice winter coat. I came across a sharp looking Hugo Boss wool coat that was supposedly made in Ukraine! Really? Does this mean I can actually pick it up in Ukraine for less than the jaw dropping 695? Are there Hugo Boss stores in Ukraine? If there are, will the prices be cheaper? If there are not, do they have department stores like we do here that carry Hugo Boss stuff? And do all large cities there have them? Thanks.

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Re: Made in Ukraine?!
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2016, 06:15:43 PM »
You can buy designer clothing in Ukraine, but it is at the same prices, sometimes more, than in the US.  You may find off season wear cheaper at markets, but you can't be guaranteed to receive the genuine article.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 05:58:34 AM »
Found the same as Boethius, its much the same price surprisingly, not sure why as its a much poorer country in the Ukraine. Most of the shops I looked in were deserted so makes me wonder how they survive, lol. Perhaps if its so expensive for Ukrainians than the girl knows shes got a real good earner with a Ukrainian guy (or heavily in debt but I don't think women think that deep). I got a Tommy Hilfiger shirt cheap in Odessa when I was waiting (hoping!) for my luggage to arrive from airline - but of course it was in some discount store I miraculously happened upon and is probably not what many would regard as a real top/expensive brand, plus once on I doubt anyone would know as no external signification, nice shirt though. Danger with designer labels I think is overdoing it and getting a gold-digger, think its mostly suggested as often decent quality shirts, etc rather than showing others your wealth perhaps.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Online krimster2

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2016, 11:26:05 AM »
If I’m not mistaken Hugo Boss (which is German) is making the coat you mentioned at the Yunost factory outside of Kyiv, they have had a partnership and maybe part ownership with them for quite some time.  Since Hugo Boss is putting their label on the coat, I would not expect any price break.  If you deal directly with Ukrainians and not through Western “middlemen” you can get huge price breaks on clothing.  My wife is 6'1“ tall and was hardly ever be able to find clothing in Ukraine that fit her.  When we lived there she would have all of her clothing custom made by local designers which gave a perfectly tailored fit.  The price? Probably about the same as WallMart prices!

Designer salons in Kyiv cater to oligarchs, prices don’t matter...

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2016, 10:04:37 AM »
Even before Pound Sterling plummeted - but I find Western Brands are mostly MORE expensive in Kyiv, Moscow and in most FSU regional cites ..Better buy stuff in outlet stores in the west - if that's your 'bag' ..

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541319
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 3934
Most Online Ever: 12701