It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Hiring a translator for a day?  (Read 7553 times)

cameraguy

Hiring a translator for a day?
« on: January 30, 2005, 09:00:37 AM »
Does anyone know anything about hiring a translator
for an entire day, or week?  In my case it would probably
be in Kyiv.   -doug, in AZ

Offline Bruce

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 10:11:32 AM »
There are plenty of translator / guides available.  Stirlitz for one is a translator / guide in Ukraine who I am sure can find one to help you.  Jack has extensive connections with interpreters / runs parties and hooks up guys with services in the FSU every day.  Alot of guys like to go over on their own ie. without the help of an agency and just find an interpreter / guide to help them get around / meet girls etc. on their own.  There is nothing at all wrong with that approach - and some guys prefer it.  It is all up to what you want to do ie. your time / your dime.
"A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day."  Emily Dickinson

Offline Goombah

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 12:32:17 PM »
I just helped two friends hook up, one an interpretor in Kiev, the other a local gentlemen.

Contact me offline to discuss.

Kevin C.

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 02:00:50 PM »
I am curious about what anyone else has thinks of the relative merits of female/male interpreters.

My observations:

If you (the guy) have a date with a Russian-speaking woman, and you are at the restaurant with a male interpreter, then the woman feels comfortable, but you might not, because you are "competing" with the guy. Particularly if the woman is very beautiful, the interpreter is (usually not to an overt degree) trying to "connect" with her.

If you have a female interpreter, however, while you may feel warm and fuzzy in the close company of two females, your date may feel uncomfortable because she is only one of two women "competing" for the man (and the interpreter may be trying to "connect" with you).

In either case, the goal of the date is to develop some "understanding" between your date and yourself; given your inability to directly communicate, which scenario is better?

(Is there a 3rd way? To take your laptop on the date and use on-line or software translation, exchanging the laptop back and forth. This has the advantage of requiring a lot of time to formulate and type out questions and comments - thereby preventing yourself from blurting out something stupid - foot in the mouth situation).

Comments?

Fairbro:

Offline Bruce

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 03:50:06 PM »
I have had great help from male and female interpreters over the years.  As long as they are doing their best to get two people who seem to like each other to decide to take it to the next level or not - ie. work in both clients best interests I found no real differences.  Of course, a guy may feel more comfortable with a male or female interpreter.  If that is the case go with what makes you happy.  An interpreter should be more than just a translator in any event. 
"A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day."  Emily Dickinson

Offline Stirlitz

• Commercial Member
  • Helping People Understand Each Other
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 11:41:49 AM »
CG (I assume you are CG that I know from another board),

What's wrong with Pavel in Kiev?

Anyway, I think I could help you too.
Igor Kalinin
Ukraine Guide Interpreter

Offline Photo Guy

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 12:19:35 PM »
No, I'm NOT 'camera guy' from some other discussion list.
 I just now changed my username to 'Photo Guy'  to avoid confusion.
-doug

Offline Jack

• Commercial Member
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 01:34:03 PM »
Hey Photo Guy, from your post you seem intelligent and a man of principles and ethics. As such it's quite evident to most who know that you are not the other camerguy.

Offline Photo Guy

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 03:20:25 PM »
Hey...thanks!  You're a good judge of character. ;)
-doug, Photo Guy

Offline Stirlitz

• Commercial Member
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2005, 01:39:48 PM »
[user=134]Photo Guy[/user] wrote:
No, I'm NOT 'camera guy' from some other discussion list.
I just now changed my username to 'Photo Guy' to avoid confusion.
-doug

Sorry then. I noticed a few members here from the other board so I thought you were one of them. OK, anyway, Pavel is an interpeter who lives in Kiev and may help you there. His phone number is +38067--2832468.
Igor Kalinin

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2005, 01:48:28 PM »
Stirlitz,

What's your view on male vs female interpreters? Advantages or disadvantages for either?

Offline Stirlitz

• Commercial Member
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2005, 02:13:30 PM »
Quote from: BC
Stirlitz,

What's your view on male vs female interpreters? Advantages or disadvantages for either?

Male:

1. You have a buddy you can trust; who understands you better and is more likely to be your friend whatever you do (such as going to meet another lady) without telling anything to the lady.

2. You don't have to be a gentleman all the time. When your lady is gone, you can relax. Have some beer, tell some nasty jokes which a female interpreter would not like.

Female:

1. When you have two females around, if you are a gentleman, you have to be one toward both. Which is not easy and can also compromise your relationship with your lady.

2. Your lady will feel a competition and will not be able to relax with you. She will also be jealous. And if you marry her, be sure she will remember you that interpreter one day!

Above I meant professional interpeters. Now let's see what we have if you get someone for the $5 an hour:

Male:

1. Can flirt with your lady. Can tamper with translation to make you look worse.

2. Can rip you off.

Female:

1. Can flirt with you. Can tamper with translation to make your lady look worse.

2. Speaks broken English. Some of them even call themselves intopritors. Duh.

As you see, if we mean professionals, male interpreters are an advantage and females a disadvantage to me. Of course I am biased but I challenge you to name serious pros of female as well as cons of male. The only 'advantage' of female is you can possibly sleep with her or even marry her. But I don't think it is a good idea.
Igor Kalinin

Offline jb

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 11:49:51 AM »
IMHO, having a translator is nice for dealing with in depth issues with some women at first, but you have to remember that you can't bring that person home with your bride-to-be to be your on going mouthpiece.  Sooner or later you are going to have to share a common language.  The 90 day K-1 visa is not enough time for the girl with zero English skills to learn your language well enough to be able to determine if you and she are really a marriage match.  Beware of women with no English and those with no desire to learn the language.

Just an aside, PhotoGuy, have you studied Russian at all?  At least to the point where you can check into a hotel, order a meal, buy a drink, and greet people properly?  I know it takes a lot of work to become semi-competent in Russian, but mastering the alphabet so you can get around on the Metro I consider a must, I also think a vocabulary of about 100-150 words just so you can get around is very helpful.

Before I made my first business trip to Russia the company I worked for put me through a six month intensive Russian class with the Berlitz School in Houston.  It was ultimately one of the best things I ever did.  And I will tell you this, learning a bit of Russian will impress the hell out of the natives when you are able to speak even a little of their language.

Offline Photo Guy

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 01:23:26 PM »
jb,
I understand what you mean. But then again we're
talkin' the same language. I'll look into a Berlitz here in
the desert. I've got a course on CD, but it doesn't teach
grammar or sentence structure - just handy phrases
like, 'How''s life?, 'Good evening', 'Have you seen my ATM card?' etc.
-doug

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541019
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 2203
Total: 2212

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 06:44:55 AM

Re: Arctic Blast hit hard in most areas of USA by 2tallbill
Today at 06:36:29 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM