It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Check out Wizz Air when traveling to Ukraine  (Read 9435 times)

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Check out Wizz Air when traveling to Ukraine
« on: August 30, 2018, 07:53:12 AM »
Wizz Air said on Aug. 30 that the company will add a fourth airbus A320 to its Ukraine fleet and launch an additional five routes from Kyiv in March 2019, increasing its ticket offerings by 45 percent over the coming year.

The new routes will operate from Kyiv to Breman, Germany; Billund, Denmark; and Riga, Latvia; and from Lviv to Copenhagen, Denmark, and Frankfurt (Hahn), Germany. Ticket prices start from Hr 759, or $86.

- - - - -  -

There are also previously existing Wizz Air flights into Ukrainian cities from various European  cities.

Might be worthwhile to look at connections from USA to those other European cities, then transfer to Wizz for final flight into Ukraine.

Drawbacks are that Wizz might use regional airports vs main ones, and their limited (or costly) baggage.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Online krimster2

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Check out Wizz Air when traveling to Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 08:29:15 AM »
two Italian Americans speaking to each other

eh, what kinda flight you takin'?
I'm gonna take a Delta, how 'bout you?
I'm gonna take a Wizz...

Offline BdHvA

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 04:49:57 PM »
Wizz air flights are generally cheaper. They depart from more regional airports across Europe. Service is not exactly great, but sometimes the stewies smile at you, though they might charge you. Any landing you can walk away from is good enough. They are based from Hungary but fly across Europe as a low cost airline

They fly to Kiev, Zhuliany (IEV) in fact closer to the center than KBP and to L'viv.

Next to Zhuliany is a museum, well worth visiting especially with an impressionable kid (boy). Only not on a cold windy day.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 04:53:21 PM by BdHvA »
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Online krimster2

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 04:59:43 PM »
I assume you're referencing the Aviation museum
if I remember correctly on the approach to Borispol you fly 200-300 feet over it
pretty good size

Offline BdHvA

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 05:16:03 PM »
Yes the aviation museum, supper cool.

It depends very much on the approach, but I have never, recently flown anywhere under 2,000 feet over Kiev to KBP on approach.
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Online krimster2

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 06:12:39 PM »
you may be right, a gross underestimate on my part, or may have been a separate collection of aircraft

Offline JayH

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 06:46:10 PM »
you may be right, a gross underestimate on my part, or may have been a separate collection of aircraft

There are some aircraft at Boryspil (KBP)   but nothing like the extensive collection at  Zhuliany (ZHU)

There are quite a few airlines commencing and recommencing flying into Ukraine--  both super budget like Wizz and Ryanair and more conventional.
Wizz is planning on flying to Kyiv Sikorsky -- a 3rd airport being developed for budget airlines.
There are many more cities being serviced with new direct flights eg Kherson,Nikolaev  and in some cases airports are being upgraded  to handle international flights.

To those trying to connect from destinations further away--  be extremely cautious about baggage allowances and purchasing extra allowance -- including cabin bag weight and sizes -- some of these airlines have much smaller size allowance --or none at all .
Reading very carefully before booking is a must . I would also do a google search of the many problems some airlines manage to create.
I got caught out on a LOT flight( not a budget carrier)  when connecting the flight was overbooked and the officious  staff were checking and rechecking at the gate every carry on bag weight & size.It is not a place to have this discussion -- and it was only the prospect  of delaying the flight to remove my checked baggage that saved me from being evicted from the flight.The point of contention was my carry on ( a veteran of 100's of flights and withing the international guidelines was mm's bigger that Lot spec.I have noted many of the "cheaper" flights that require payment also only allow a smaller size.
 :)
Before I get lectured about baggage etc-- it is not easy to travel light when going from Summer to winter --or vice versa etc. Add in a longer stay -- and it equals hard  work to travel light ! :)

By March of 2019, Wizz Air will add three new destinations from Kyiv Sikorsky: Bremen, Germany; Riga, Latvia; and Billund, Denmark, home to Legoland. From Lviv, Wizz Air will add Copenhagen and Frankfurt-Hahn. From Kharkiv, Wizz Air adds flight this fall to Gdansk, London-Luton, Vienna, and Wroclaw. Earlier this summer, Wizz Air started service from Kharkiv with flights to Dortmund and Katowice, Poland.

Wizz Air is interested in flying to Kherson, but wants to see the runway improved, Wizz Air executive Jones said after meeting with with Kherson airport officials “We are working on this issue,” he told reporters in Kyiv. “I am considering the possibility, but if I’m not mistaken, it is very important to have a runway in Kherson to service our planes. This is an excellent region.” Kyiv rebuilding Odesa’s runway this year. Dnipro is to be next in line. Earlier this year, Kherson officials traveled to Dublin and met with executives of Wizz Air’s rival, Ryanair. One of Ukraine’s fastest growing airports, Kherson’s passenger traffic hit 105, 900 last year -- 14 times the level of 2014

On Monday, Ryanair starts service to Ukraine with a debut flight from Berlin Schönefeld to Boryspil, the first of 17 EU-Ukraine city pairs planned for this fall. The real action starts on the week of Tuesday Oct. 30 when Europe’s largest airline launches flights from Boryspil to 11 cities: Barcelona, Bratislava, London Stansted, Stockholm, Vilnius, and five cities in Poland – Bydgoszcz, Gdansk, Krakow, Warsaw-Modlin and Wroclaw. That same week from Lviv, Ryanair launches flights to five cities: Krakow, London-Stansted, Memmingen Germany, Warsaw-Modlin and Weeze, Germany.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 09:08:38 PM by JayH »
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline BdHvA

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2018, 03:50:34 AM »
I assume you're referencing the Aviation museum
if I remember correctly on the approach to Borispol you fly 200-300 feet over it
pretty good size

Sorry I mis-read you posts. (Still need to learn Krimsmter-Speak)

I was thinking that you were speaking of the Aviation Museum next to Zhuliany. This is well worth a visit on a day with good weather.

The older planes scattered about Borispol are more a boneyard than anything else.

There are some aircraft at Boryspil (KBP)   but nothing like the extensive collection at  Zhuliany (ZHU)

There are quite a few airlines commencing and recommencing flying into Ukraine--  both super budget like Wizz and Ryanair and more conventional.
Wizz is planning on flying to Kyiv Sikorsky -- a 3rd airport being developed for budget airlines.
There are many more cities being serviced with new direct flights eg Kherson,Nikolaev  and in some cases airports are being upgraded  to handle international flights.

There is no third airport planned for Kyiv, Sikorsky is a re-branded Zhuliany. It will retain the designation of IEV. There is talk of a new terminal, but there was one built a number of years ago that works rather well.

I still can remember going through the old terminals of both Zhuliany and L'viv. L'viv being almost surreal at night.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 04:07:03 AM by BdHvA »

Offline JayH

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 04:28:42 AM »

There is no third airport planned for Kyiv, Sikorsky is a re-branded Zhuliany. It will retain the designation of IEV. There is talk of a new terminal, but there was one built a number of years ago that works rather well.

I still can remember going through the old terminals of both Zhuliany and L'viv. L'viv being a

Funny-- I had read of new flights going to cheaper airport some time ago -- did not realise about the  name change !Given I have been in and out of Zhuliany at least 5 times this year -- noticed nothing different!

It is simpler than Boryspil -- but both are good by my reckoning and easy to use.

There has been a lot in the news about airports and redevelopments and many new flights planned all across Ukraine --  and when I saw new name I presumed it was a new ( redeveloped) airport that I had seen mentioned !
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline JayH

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2018, 07:42:49 PM »
( for the record)
There is a 3rd airport north of Kyiv( Gostomel )-- I did recall reading of it being developed  for passenger aircraft. So--my comments above were correct!!!

Antonov Agrees To Develop Gostomel Airport Into Base For Low-Cost Airlines

According to Antonov, it has already set up a working group to prepare a business plan for use of the Kyiv-Antonov airfield in Gostomel for servicing low-cost airlines.

http://en.cfts.org.ua/news/antonov_agrees_to_develop_gostomel_airport_into_base_for_low_cost_airlines

Over the last few years -- some airlines wanting to fly into Kyiv balked at the asking price to use Boryspil  & Zhuliany and have looked at alternatives.

Offline SteveInBoston

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 08:12:08 AM »
I will be flying from Kyiv to Bratislava on Wizz Air in November.  Ticket cost was 968 UAH ($35) round trip.  Plus 670 UAH for 20kg checked-in luggage fee (the base fare only included a 10kg carry on).

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 11:31:47 PM »
I will be flying from Kyiv to Bratislava on Wizz Air in November.  Ticket cost was 968 UAH ($35) round trip.  Plus 670 UAH for 20kg checked-in luggage fee (the base fare only included a 10kg carry on).

$35usd is unbelievable price, I could only find $48 ( using discount club). Are you sure that 670uah for check-in luggage is both ways? I saw 635uah each way. I don't like the different pricing depending a certain days( not flight pricing) and lots of add-ons.
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline Nightwish

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2018, 11:44:45 PM »
Ryanair also opens up flights to Lviv (England, Germany, Poland) and Kyiv-Boryspil (Spain, Sweden, England, Germany, Poland, Slovakia, Malta)
First flights (from Sweden) starts in about a week, and pricing is  :clapping: around $14 each way
Compared to using UIA where the price starts at around $90-100 each way.

For that price I would fly standing up in the luggage compartment  :D :D
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:48:03 PM by Nightwish »
Multitasking means screwing up several things at once.

Offline msmob

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 12:03:20 AM »
Ryanair is THE last airline I'd part money with ..

SO many little tricks to rip you off .. book last minute and fail to print off a boarding pass in time .. pay through the nose...

NEVER again

Offline Nightwish

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 04:55:22 AM »
Ryanair is THE last airline I'd part money with ..

SO many little tricks to rip you off .. book last minute and fail to print off a boarding pass in time .. pay through the nose...

NEVER again

Yeah blame the Airline because you can't do things the right way, as it is clearly stated what you are expected to do when you book a ticket and in the confirmation mail you get.  :wallbash:

Same procedure as Wizzair, same as UIA, same as many many many airlines nowadays, if you don't print the boardingpass yourself, pay for it at checkin.

but nooo blame the single Airline for your inadequacy to follow specific instructions.
Of course you will get what you pay for, and I am not saying they are good.. but for that price, what the hell do you expect.

Offline SteveInBoston

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 06:30:28 AM »
$35usd is unbelievable price, I could only find $48 ( using discount club). Are you sure that 670uah for check-in luggage is both ways? I saw 635uah each way. I don't like the different pricing depending a certain days( not flight pricing) and lots of add-ons.

It is round trip.  The discount is offered at ticket purchase.  Independently purchasing the extra luggage afterwards costs more - the 635UAH each way.

This will be my first time using Wizz air.   My fiance mentioned that Wizz/Ryan/UIA charge more for everything - getting boarding passes at check-in, any check-in luggage, asking any questions at check-in, not bringing your own seat belts and oxygen masks... 

Offline Blighty

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 07:36:26 AM »
Wizzair flights to Ukraine operate from London Luton which has been voted the UK's worst airport for the third year running ... see http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-45286347

Wizzair are hoping to start flying to Kharkov later this year from Luton, but Luton is a badly placed location for the intended 7am flight to Kharkov.

Offline ML

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 08:33:33 AM »
There are pros and cons to many alternative business models.

Actually those businesses that split out individual charges are the most fair to customers, even as sometimes a bit of PIA.

For instance, in the 'good old days' with airlines, they had to charge everyone the same amount even as some carried no luggage while others had several suitcases, etc.  Really not fair to those who had no luggage.

Another good example are fast food places in USA compared to FSU.
Here, you can pick up (and waste) tons of condiments, whereas in FSU they want kopecks for each individual item.
Yes, a bit 'off putting' to we westerners when we  encounter such in FSU, but on reflection they might have the better model in terms of fairness and waste of resources.

Another good example.  Here in USA, the German based food store Aldi's is fast becoming a major player in just a few years with prices that undercut even WalMart.
Their model:  They just cut open the big boxes and put on shelf without taking out each can, etc.  They charge for bags; so this encourages us to bring out own cloth bags.  You have to insert quarter to get a shopping cart.  So you then return the cart which makes for a tidier parking lot and saves them money.  Again, all this is a bit of PIA, but makes for efficient and fair to all process.
Spouse loves to shop at Aldi's as they are less expensive than even WalMart.  I have found their private label cereals and baked beans not very tasty; but for meats, eggs, milk, fresh vegetables, fish, tomato sauces, spaghetti and, in fact, most items we have been very pleased.

Others (although of a dwindling number over time) seem to like to go to the traditional full priced grocery stores.  So free enterprise, freedom of choice systems at work.

Don't complain about the discount airlines.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2018, 09:17:52 AM »

That's pretty cool. I've gone to Slovakia a dozen times before and had always landed in Vienna, Austria (45 min drive to Bratislava). Is that flight on a A320?

There are pros and cons to many alternative business models....Others (although of a dwindling number over time) seem to like to go to the traditional full priced grocery stores.  So free enterprise, freedom of choice systems at work.

Don't complain about the discount airlines.

Yeah. My wife is completely sold on A-Prime. Blows my mind the items she buys and the frequency of it. Now that they acquired Wholefoods, she'll probably forego Trader Joe's altogether and have our grocery items delivered from Wholefoods via Amazon Prime service. They may need a bigger drone though.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline SteveInBoston

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2018, 09:48:36 AM »
That's pretty cool. I've gone to Slovakia a dozen times before and had always landed in Vienna, Austria (45 min drive to Bratislava). Is that flight on a A320?

Yeah. My wife is completely sold on A-Prime. Blows my mind the items she buys and the frequency of it. Now that they acquired Wholefoods, she'll probably forego Trader Joe's altogether and have our grocery items delivered from Wholefoods via Amazon Prime service. They may need a bigger drone though.

It should be an A320.  Future wifey and I are planning to spend a few days in Vienna when we are in Bratislava - 1 hr train ride for about $17.

I found out recently that Trader Joe's is actually Aldi - Aldi Nord.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2018, 09:58:33 AM »
That's great Steve! Have a great time. I like Bratislava a lot (lot's of pretty women). If you have time, head south and go to Banska Bystricia / Poprad...small quaint city/townships. They still have mudhouses, I believe, with people living in it. and maybe before the snow comes down, go up to the Tatras. The train ride along the Danube is also amazing. Southbound train will actually get you to Lviv, IINM.

Taste some of their plum wine (Slivovichka/Borovitcha). Pilsner/Zlaty Bazaant will be their brewskis.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline msmob

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2018, 11:24:28 AM »

Yeah blame the Airline because you can't do things the right way, as it is clearly stated what you are expected to do when you book a ticket and in the confirmation mail you get.  :wallbash:

Same procedure as Wizzair, same as UIA, same as many many many airlines nowadays, if you don't print the boardingpass yourself, pay for it at checkin.

but nooo blame the single Airline for your inadequacy to follow specific instructions.
Of course you will get what you pay for, and I am not saying they are good.. but for that price, what the hell do you expect.

Why don't you ask questions - instead of posting daft ?

This was 2012 - I booked from my mobile - by the road side and off I went to the airport .... Do you read emails when driving ?

I took them to Court and won - as they didn't attend the hearing, nor contest the case

Offline Nightwish

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2018, 03:06:07 PM »
Why don't you ask questions - instead of posting daft ?

This was 2012 - I booked from my mobile - by the road side and off I went to the airport .... Do you read emails when driving ?

I took them to Court and won - as they didn't attend the hearing, nor contest the case

oh for f*cks sake
Posting daft is your department, everywhere... all the time.

I live in the present and not ancient times, come join us others in 2018, almost 2019 now.. things has progressed a little don't ya think?

and you don't think that little tidbit when this happened would have been useful information when you slander a company here?
Or where you driving so you couldn't switch to numbers and could just use the letters on your phone?

maybe all you do is withhold quite important information on purpose just to be able to stir up something?

btw don't use up valuable time and space answering, I already know you don't have anything useful to say anyway.

and to answer your question - yes.
And I can follow instructions on a website which NOW and for the past 5 years since I started using them clearly indicate you must check-in and print your boardingpass yourself.

Offline msmob

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2018, 06:04:27 PM »

btw don't use up valuable time and space answering, I already know you don't have anything useful to say anyway.

Nightwish,

Why do you think I 'won' - or Ryanair didn't contest ? ..   

Your contention is nonsense - as was theirs - at the time...  THAT's the type of airline Ryanair's management run .. hence the Pilot's strike this year.

Their leaving 1000's of passengers in the lurch and - initially - refusing to pay compo or help - until many govts stepped in and MADE them pay...

Just enter "Ryanair refuse to pay compensation to stranded passengers" - I got 240,000 results ...

THE worst airline when something goes wrong

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/jan/22/ryanair-expenses-compensation-delayed-cancelled

According to Coby Benson, solicitor at the flight claims specialists Bott & Co, the Irish airline is the greatest offender when it comes to dodging legitimate expense claims. “These are not isolated incidents but company policy,” he says.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 06:37:10 PM by msmob »

Offline Blighty

Ryanair
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2018, 10:13:59 PM »

THE worst airline when something goes wrong

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/jan/22/ryanair-expenses-compensation-delayed-cancelled

It is the old adage ... you get what you pay for!

Ryanair gets so much bad publicity that only skinflints and financially-challenged people fly with them. I know people who have used them, and suffered financially from Ryanair's low customer service skills. They admit that it was false economy to choose Ryanair rather than an airline such as KLM/AirFrance.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541004
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1870
Total: 1881

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM