It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: CIC Insight help  (Read 7222 times)

Offline d62

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
CIC Insight help
« on: October 12, 2009, 10:24:25 PM »
Hey Guys,

Would love your input here:

What are the probabilities, hurdles, landmines, time horizons, problems, etc. of

A) Getting a RW a visitor visa
B) Getting a UW a visitor visa

At first I explored the idea of a caregiver visa but after reading extensively, it seems very difficult unless they're Fillipina where the "canadian caregiver program" certificate comes with a birth certificate it seems.  ::)

Is it best to just marry first outside Canada and then do the visa. In event of marriage breakdown I would think I am on safer ground having the marriage certificate from Cdn soil. No? If you marry outside Canada, how do/did you work the Prenup (if applicable).

Just trying to get a sense of what lies around the bend here. I do understand we are subject to a 3 year sponsorship guarantee. If I was a GCG, the maple leaf would sure make me drool faster then the stars and stripes..least from my understanding thus far.
Thanks !
It's less stressful being a keyboard Romeo

Offline Misha

• Trips: > 10
Re: CIC Insight help
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 10:43:58 PM »
What are the probabilities, hurdles, landmines, time horizons, problems, etc. of
A) Getting a RW a visitor visa
B) Getting a UW a visitor visa

The chances of a single Russian or Ukrainian woman getting a temporary residence visa to visit a Canadian man are not good.

At first I explored the idea of a caregiver visa but after reading extensively, it seems very difficult unless they're Fillipina where the "canadian caregiver program" certificate comes with a birth certificate it seems.  ::)

Same rules apply to all, but yes I know you are being sarcastic.

If you marry outside Canada, how do/did you work the Prenup (if applicable).

Marry her inside or outside the country and you will have to sign a sponsorship agreement in either cases. The prenup won't nullify your responsibility to support her for the duration of the sponsorship agreement.

Just trying to get a sense of what lies around the bend here. I do understand we are subject to a 3 year sponsorship guarantee. If I was a GCG, the maple leaf would sure make me drool faster then the stars and stripes..least from my understanding thus far.
Thanks !

Well, you also have to keep in mind that you will have to demonstrate that you have legitimate relationship is you are to have a decent chance of success when she applies for her permanent residence. As you know, we have no "fiance visas" or anything of that nature in Canada.

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 10:52:20 PM »
It does not matter where you marry.  If the marriage is recognized in the jurisdiction in which you marry, it will be recognized in Canada.

In most provinces, you can prepare a division of assets agreement after you marry.  However, the longer you are married, the more cash your ex will receive, with or without a prenup.  Further, it is only the increase in the value of your assets that is subject to matrimonial property legislation, although if you live in Ontario, your house cannot be excluded from division.

You will be required to sponsor your spouse for 10 years from the date of landed immigrant status.  Even were you to have a prenup, if your marriage breaks up, you likely will be supporting your ex through educational training, until she is able to support herself.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline d62

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 11:37:09 PM »
OK, so it appears that the visitor visa idea is nixed unless I live as long as an Oak tree.

I understand a Prenup will not exempt one from his sponsorship guarantee, and I very well understand pre-marital assets and co-mingling and everything that entails. I'll drop that questioning in this thread.
No, of course I would pray for a life-long relationship so am not concerned with showing legitimacy.  I just don't want my divorce attorney to offer me frequent flyer points!
10 year sponsor liability I believe is for children under 18 and goes to a max age of 25 I think.. (by memory here)

Offline Shadow

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 12:51:14 AM »
Interesting that you are already considering possibilities of how to get out of support issues when you still have to make the first trip.
Do you know the old saying ' you will find what you seek' ?
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline docetae

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 03:09:53 AM »
Sponsorship is 3 years now for spouse, 10 years for children.

Visitor visa is possible, my wife has a multi entries visitor visa now. But we are still waiting for the permanent one... (all is ok, they are just slow... :( )
Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes Oscar Wilde

Offline d62

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 05:09:24 AM »
Do you know the old saying ' you will find what you seek' ?
And rightly so, when you Leap before you Look.  Who's trying to get out of support? lol.

Congrats Docetae on your marriage! Remember reading about that before. I would very much appreciate to talk with you more in PM in hopes of gaining some insight in deciding to pursue this and not feel like I'm pi**ing against the wind. Again congrats and all the best to you both!! 

Offline Misha

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 07:40:31 AM »
No, of course I would pray for a life-long relationship so am not concerned with showing legitimacy. 

You may not be concerned, but CIC is when a woman applies for permanent residence. They ask a series of questions in the application form as to how she met her husband, how often she met her husband, how he proposed, where she was married, who was present at the marriage, etc... She has to demonstrate that she has a legitimate marriage and not a marriage of convenience. They do ask that you provide supporting documentation to make the case (copies of plane tickets, etc...). The other Canadians here who have applied recently will certainly be able to share their joy in filling out these forms  ;)

Offline docetae

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 06:38:09 PM »
You can pm me if you need more infos. On detail, I am in Quebec, so procedure is not the same (as usual...) than for other provinces.
yes, there is a lot of documentation to provide from both sides... In our case, it is more than 100 pages of emails, chats (we were using google chat, where you can log everything..), 50 photos, papers from french embassy, text with chronology of our relation, detail about children, family, friends, all her diplomas, details about all her work, all translated of course.. and we are still waiting for the permanent visa. This is a very long process...

Depending of the work of your future wife, it is perhaps better to make her travel to Canada first as visitor and to change her status one time here.
My wife needs to do some exams at university and need her permanent visa as soon as possible as it will be at least one year before she will be able to start to work.
Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes Oscar Wilde

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541296
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 3326