It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Top Universities in USA  (Read 5791 times)

Online krimster2

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Top Universities in USA
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2019, 03:40:44 PM »
that's actually a myth spread by the big 4, but the term was used decades before that myth was concocted...
anyone who has been in the North Eastern USA knows about the ivy clinging to all the old buildings...
and that's where the name originates

here's an example of eastern ivy from my parent's house in Arlington, Virginia from many decades ago...
sadly, a few years ago, I had to cut back most of this ivy to repaint this house after my mother died who unfortunately liked the ivy too much to EVER trim it...
my bedroom window was on the far right...
I currently rent it to a law firm...
and will sell it some day as I don't want to live there again...

« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 07:23:01 PM by krimster2 »

Offline Gator

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2019, 07:15:52 AM »
From July 2018, "The Definitive Guide to College."

CNBC (the No. 1 business news cable channel) ranked American colleges according to the cost to attend vs. the median  salary of graduates.   The article reported the top 25 public and top 25 private universities that "Pay Off the Most."

http://tinyurl.com/y2hcac2e

Top 5 private colleges

Stanford
Princeton
Chicago
Cal Tech
Harvard

Other Ivies:  Yale 6th, Columbia 7th, Dartmouth 13th, Penn 17th, Brown 20th.  My fellow  Cornellians were unpaid slackers,   e. g., one of my Greek fraternity brothers became national president of the leftist and now extinct SDS (Students for a Democratic Society).   

Note to Krimster -  Rice ranked 15th.       

Top 5 public colleges

Washington (Seattle)
Washington (Bothel)
Massachusetts Maritime Academy`
Michigan
Georgia Tech

My university NC State ranked 22nd, proudly ahead of California Berkeley (25th).

Of the 50-60  brothers in my Greek fraternity when I attended, two made the Forbes 500  top CEO compensation (one now having a new campus building named for him).   A third brother with a private company did even better, enough to have the high-rise VIP towers at the football stadium named for him.    I still stay in touch, and some brothers from decades later have been very successful in business. 

A few of the brief descriptions of each university are interesting statements about education.

Haverford’s liberal arts curriculum requires that students study in areas such as meaning, interpretation and creative expression or analysis and the social world: individuals, institutions and cultures.

Wesleyan’s flexible curriculum requires that students study each of four “competencies” — mapping (navigating complex environments), expressing (writing and communication), mining (empirical analysis and interpretation) and engaging (negotiating cultural contexts).

[Pomona] students take at least one course in each of six areas: criticism, analysis and contextual study of works of the human imagination; social institutions and human behavior; history, values, ethics and cultural studies; physical and biological sciences; mathematical reasoning; and creation and performance of works of art and literature.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 11:56:30 AM by AnonMod »

Offline Gator

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2019, 07:24:47 AM »

Excuse my ignorance but I always thought that Ivy league meant the original 4 universities in the US hence the term 'IV' league.

From Wiki: 

"A common folk etymology attributes the name to the Roman numeral for four (IV), asserting that there was such a sports league originally with four members. The Morris Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins helped to perpetuate this belief. The supposed "IV League" was formed over a century ago and consisted of Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and a fourth school that varies depending on who is telling the story."

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
Top Universities in USA
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2019, 09:31:17 AM »

From Wiki: 

"A common folk etymology attributes the name to the Roman numeral for four (IV), asserting that there was such a sports league originally with four members. The Morris Dictionary of Word and Phrase Origins helped to perpetuate this belief. The supposed "IV League" was formed over a century ago and consisted of Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and a fourth school that varies depending on who is telling the story."

Origins of the term ‘Ivy League’ remain mysterious
http://badgerherald.com/news/2003/03/03/origins-of-the-term/
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Online krimster2

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2019, 11:01:22 AM »
Rice Univ main advantage for us is merely geographic....
90 minute car ride vrs 7 hour airport excursion....
it means my daughter will be able to come home more often than if she lives 1,200+ miles away...

Rice's biology dept is in the top 10, and this is my daughter's main focus...
my youngest is a math/computer wiz and I hope follow her older sister to Rice...
both my children took a heavy course load at the local community college (a mile away!) while in high school
my oldest had 2 year of college credit when she graduated high school, and so will my youngest when she graduates high school in one more year...
my daughters have both agreed to spend the next two summers with me and my wife in Moscow before they take off and start living their own lives as independent adults...
so I intend to make the most out of that time...
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 07:38:36 PM by krimster2 »

Offline jone

« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2019, 11:13:02 AM »
Origins of the term ‘Ivy League’ remain mysterious
http://badgerherald.com/news/2003/03/03/origins-of-the-term/

Wow.  Nice article from my Alma Mater.  The Badger Herald is our on-campus newspaper.   

The true test that sets the Ivy League Schools apart is the number and quality of applicants who are turned down.   While my son attended a university that Gator had on his 'Southern Ivies' list, Davidson, most of the attendees who weren't from rich Southern families were students who were turned down by the Ivy League schools.  (My son's first year in school was at Oxford.)  My son was turned down at Harvard as were many of his cohorts on campus.  Like Krimster, we actually attended the on school visits to Yale, Harvard, Princeton and Columbia.  When he was offered at Oxford, we went there.  He also had a full academic scholarship offer to attend Cal, here on the West Coast.  He was offered because he is a polyglot, fluent in six languages and knowing two more.  When he was at Oxford, he studied linguistics and Russian - even though he no longer considers Russian a language he is fluent in.   (He's a lot better at it than I am.)

I asked him, the other night, where Rice fit into the mix.  He mentioned how impressed he was with the Medical Program at Rice and the integration with some of the local hospitals.  If that is Krimster's daughter's area of study, it will serve her well.

As Gator stated, Rice fits in with a number of quality Southern Universities.   His list was pretty inclusive of the schools that I am aware of.

But with the nature of the article that Bill posted, I still believe that the quality of these Ivy League universities is measured by the quality of the applicants who are turned down.    That is not to say that other universities do not offer great educations.   

These days the Ivy League Schools have a self-imposed mandate for diversity.   And said mandate is heavily abused, especially by those who have very little of the diversification of race which is favored for admission.   I am aware of one student who received admission to Harvard because his Great Grandmother was from the US Virgin Islands.   It should be also pointed out that the Universities also choose diversity when hiring professors.  When hired by Harvard, the University issued a press release welcoming the Native American professor Elizabeth Warren in 1996.

http://tinyurl.com/y22gy8y7

So, for students not of diversity (or who didn't lie about their diversity like Warren did) it is increasingly harder to get into an Ivy League School.   For example, from my son's graduating class, two students did get into Harvard who were Black, while students with higher GPAs with more activities/sports/AP Courses did not. 

My son, at the time, wrote a tongue-in-cheek long essay about the experience called 'Losing Ivies'.  It was a hit with the Millennial group he hangs with.  It lampooned the entire admissions process.

While it could be said that many schools offer an Ivy Leauge (like) education, the extreme competition and the quality of students whose applications are rejected, set the Ivy League schools apart. 

While he doesn't have to respond, Krimster mentioned that he visited the Ivy League campuses.   I am curious to know how many of the Ivy League schools his daughter applied to and how many she was accepted at.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 01:55:17 PM by jone »
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline jone

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2019, 11:21:29 AM »
Rice Univ main advantage for us is merely geographic....
90 minute car ride vrs 7 hour airport excursion....
it means my daughter will be able to come home more often then if she lives 1,200+ miles away...

Rice's biology dept is in the top 10, and this is my daughter's main focus...
my youngest is a math/computer wiz and I hope follow her older sister to Rice...
both my children took a heavy course load at the local community college (a mile away!) while in high school
my oldest had 2 year of college credit when she graduated high school, and so will my youngest when she graduates high school in one more year...
my daughters have both agreed to spend the next two summers with me and my wife in Moscow before they take off and start living their own lives as independent adults...
so I intend to make the most out of that time...

Smartest thing you've said on the forum since I can remember.   Treasure the time before your children are gone.  In a blink they are adults, living their own lives and the time you have to spend with them is limited by the great demands put on them by their friends, work and society.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline jone

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2019, 12:02:12 PM »
From July 2018, "The Definitive Guide to College."

CNBC (the No. 1 business news cable channel) ranked American colleges according to the cost to attend vs. the median  salary of graduates.   The article reported the top 25 public and top 25 private universities that "Pay Off the Most."

http://tinyurl.com/y2hcac2e

Top 5 private colleges

Stanford
Princeton
Chicago
Cal Tech
Harvard

Other Ivies:  Yale 6th, Columbia 7th, Dartmouth 13th, Penn 17th, Brown 20th.  My fellow  Cornellians were unpaid slackers,   e. g., one of my Greek fraternity brothers became national president of the leftist and now extinct SDS (Students for a Democratic Society).   

Note to Krimster -  Rice ranked 15th.       

Top 5 public colleges

Washington (Seattle)
Washington (Bothel)
Massachusetts Maritime Academy`
Michigan
Georgia Tech

My university NC State ranked 22nd, proudly ahead of California Berkeley (25th).

Of the 50-60  brothers in my Greek fraternity when I attended, two made the Forbes 500  top CEO compensation (one now having a new campus building named for him).   A third brother with a private company did even better, enough to have the high-rise VIP towers at the football stadium named for him.    I still stay in touch, and some brothers from decades later have been very successful in business. 

A few of the brief descriptions of each university are interesting statements about education.

So, if you live in Washington State, you get a subsidized education.   That's what a gathered from your list.

Offline Gator

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2019, 01:47:46 PM »
So, if you live in Washington State, you get a subsidized education.   That's what a gathered from your list.

Do not be fooled by your understanding of sticker prices for attending different colleges.  The study factored grants and scholarships.  And if a university is stressing diversity of students, many would require financial assistance to attend. 

Compare No. 1 Stanford in the private category with Washington, No. 1 in public category.   

Stanford

Average net cost for family income in the $48,001-$75,000 range: $4,061
Salary average, early and mid career: $109,800

Washington

Average net cost (income $48,001-$75,000): $8,984
Salary average, early and mid career: $85,850

Evidently Stanford had much more financial assistance in the form of  scholarships, etc. making the cost of attending less than half that of the public Univ of Washington.

Of note,  the study did not account for cost of housing, food, etc. a major cost that parents certainly know about.    Also, the study based the results on public universities for in-state students, who would pay lower tuition than out-of-state students.

So the top private schools seemingly discriminate against white students in admittance and probably  in financial assistance too.  As a couple of you stated, the best universities are distinguished by  the quality of the applicants who not accepted for admission. 

My son graduated from USC (SoCal) Film School, recognized as top film school in the country.  He felt out of place being male, straight and white. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 01:50:01 PM by Gator »

Offline Gator

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2019, 01:54:33 PM »
Admission stats for Ivy League:

Applicants  Admission Rate
Brown   35,438        7.2%
Columbia   40,203        5.5%
Cornell   51,328         10.3%
Dartmouth   22,033        8.7%
Harvard   42,749        4.6%
Penn           44,482        8.4%
Princeton   35,370        5.5%
Yale           35,306        6.3%

Offline jone

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2019, 02:08:41 PM »
Gator,

Not only do you need to take in the stats of rejection but the quality of the students who are rejected.   This isn't Risky Business, where, with a 'C' average you can get your admissions counselor laid and get into Princeton.  The cost of applying is not inexpensive and, so, the only people who apply to these schools think that they have a reasonable chance of getting in.  We're talking the best of the best of the best.

When my son applied, he had just come off an internship in Russia and was 'recommended' by a number of prominent alums.  He also had an athletic angle, having played on a Junior Olympics Water Polo Program that was one of the three top in the country (he did not really want to play water polo in college).   I remember the commentary done by the head of Admissions at Harvard because he referenced my son, specifically, as being a go-getter - having worked in a bank and hotel in Russia.

My son's best friend in college came from a prominent Harvard Alum family.  She was rejected from Harvard as well and had better credentials than my son did.    She became the Valedictorian of her Davidson class.  The simple fact is that she had no diversification.   

Offline Gator

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2019, 03:06:25 PM »
The simple fact is that she had no diversification.

And she is a female applicant.  I guess your son, although qualified, never had a real chance.  Davidson is a superb school. 

And this goal of diversification comes from schools that admitted few women as late as the early 1960s. 

I went back to Cornell on a road trip with my sons.  Even though years ago, it seemed to have had lost much of the preppy culture I remember  from my days there.   

Life was certainly different than my ACC days.  I went to my first rowing match on Lake Cayuga and one fraternity arrived riding an open-wheeled (maybe the 1920s) American LaFrance fire engine complete with a Dalmatian.  As an elective, I took one class from the equestrian school.  Intramural sports were popular, to include boxing.  The helmets and large gloves did not matter when my fraternity brother stepped in the ring for the heavyweight category - he knocked out all four opponents in 30 seconds or less.  He was a football lineman who signed with the Steelers, and had a helluva left hook.   

Students studied seriously, yet when it was time for a party, we partied.  The Rolling Stones made their second stop in America at an IFC afternoon concert.    Alcohol flowed (before drugs).   At one dressy dinner party in our large dining room, tablecloths and roasted turkeys adorned each long table.  Immediately after grace my date grabbed the turkey by both legs, spread them,  and took a bite out of what would be the crotch, then looked up smiling with turkey grease on her chin.    Somehow I graduated.   

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2019, 03:33:41 PM »

In the name of diversity, Asians are getting punished the most. Although they are a minority group, they are on average intelligent and motivated to get higher education but affirmative action thinks there's too high of a percent of Asians going to college per the percentage of Asians in the population. Schools are rejecting Asians to get other groups of people in more.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/11/02/universities-harvard-yale-reward-asian-americans-successful-diversity-bias-column/1739012002/

http://www.vox.com/2018/3/28/17031460/affirmative-action-asian-discrimination-admissions

Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline jone

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2019, 04:39:51 PM »

And she is a female applicant.  I guess your son, although qualified, never had a real chance.  Davidson is a superb school. 

And this goal of diversification comes from schools that admitted few women as late as the early 1960s. 

I went back to Cornell on a road trip with my sons.  Even though years ago, it seemed to have had lost much of the preppy culture I remember  from my days there.   

Life was certainly different than my ACC days.  I went to my first rowing match on Lake Cayuga and one fraternity arrived riding an open-wheeled (maybe the 1920s) American LaFrance fire engine complete with a Dalmatian.  As an elective, I took one class from the equestrian school.  Intramural sports were popular, to include boxing.  The helmets and large gloves did not matter when my fraternity brother stepped in the ring for the heavyweight category - he knocked out all four opponents in 30 seconds or less.  He was a football lineman who signed with the Steelers, and had a helluva left hook.   

Students studied seriously, yet when it was time for a party, we partied.  The Rolling Stones made their second stop in America at an IFC afternoon concert.    Alcohol flowed (before drugs).   At one dressy dinner party in our large dining room, tablecloths and roasted turkeys adorned each long table.  Immediately after grace my date grabbed the turkey by both legs, spread them,  and took a bite out of what would be the crotch, then looked up smiling with turkey grease on her chin.    Somehow I graduated.

Great color commentary!

Offline Gator

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2019, 04:45:14 PM »
In the name of diversity, Asians are getting punished the most.

I have heard this also, yet never took a hard look at the data.   

I would think schools would somehow be influenced by the history of alumni endowments by class of students.  My former school discovered that graduates who had belonged to Greek fraternities contributed disproportionately  more to the school than  other groupings. 

I am not talking about payola to  facilitate admission, but annual gifts to building funds, etc. after graduation. 

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2019, 01:43:55 PM »
Last year, friend's son was denied admission to Carnegie Mellon (his true dream school for computer science, ranked # 1) but was accepted to Cornell, Princeton and Univ of Penn.

http://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-science-schools/computer-science-rankings

He chose to go to Cornell (ranked # 6) with enough scholarship money that parents are paying virtually nothing.

He reported that coursework was so hard that some of his high school Valedictorian classmates were often crying and one even wanted to drop out and return home.  One mother even rented apartment there to be nearby to console her daughter for first couple of months. 

As a side note . . . I have known for long time that Cornell has the top Labor and Industrial Relations program in USA.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 02:05:37 PM by ML »
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Online krimster2

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2019, 02:18:21 PM »
my daughter had a 3.9 GPA and composite SAT was 1470
plus she's female and wants to get into STEM...
mother was poor immigrant born in the Soviet Union, father is an American military veteran and engineer...
State Science Fair winner, plus lived in Russia and is bi-lingual....
has a TON of extra-curricular activities and references all the way up to the governor's office...

couldn't cut Harvard, one reason, no one in my family was from officer class!
this is something I noticed about people who WERE accepted, fathers/grandfathers were officers and NOT enlisted men like mine...
but while in Cambridge we also looked at nearby MIT
liked all the college sub shops there...reminds me of my youth... happy times...
Rice was slam dunk... and it's not bad and a 90 minute drive
reminds me a lot of USC - a good school in a BAD neighborhood!
but my daughter was taught by me how to take care of herself...

BTW, Pittsburgh in the 80s was a pretty harsh place, I was in the CMU library looking out the window
and saw a guy getting mugged, so I go running downstairs/outside to help
but too late, by the time I got there there was already a circle of people surrounding his lifeless body
robber already killed him by the time I ran down!!!!
people quickly disappear off the streets after dark!!!
sometimes you hear distant screams and gunshots!!!
America!!!

Offline Gator

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2019, 02:37:45 PM »

As a side note . . . I have known for long time that Cornell has the top Labor and Industrial Relations program in USA.

And Hotel Management, Vetenarian, and......  It is the largest Ivy and had some esoteric  programs.  In the 1960s one of my frat brothers was specializing in Chinese studies (ahead of his time).   

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541003
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1869
Total: 1880

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM