It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Update - 13 years later  (Read 212976 times)

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Update - 13 years later
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 03:31:52 PM »
Wow.

And all you guys and gals were wondering about this guy.  Jan, this is why we are here - to hear stories like yours.  I have a small tear in my eye looking at your wonderful family.  Tell your wife that she has beautiful dimples when she smiles from me.

We can only aspire to these types of stories.  In the past couple of weeks I have had a wonderful opportunity to meet online some really neat FSU / WM couples, through email and chat.  But never have I seen the beginning through my aspired end. 

Thank you for sharing with us and if you choose to show more, even better.

-jon
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2013, 06:38:33 PM »
WOW! And just think, Jan has wasted 13 long years with a seemingly great family and raising 2 sons with a beautiful wife, all the while "could have" been a sex tourist in Piter or Ukraine. What was he thinking?

Good job Jan. That's a beautiful family. Thanks for sharing

Offline Anechka

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2013, 08:23:32 PM »
“All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.” Leo Tolstoy

A bit boring, IMHO

Offline jone

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2013, 08:34:21 PM »
A bit boring, IMHO

I've always said that the most wonderful woman in the world has kindness and wisdom.  Some would think me old fashioned but I still feel that those traits hold true today.

-j
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Anechka

« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 09:35:18 PM »
I've always said that the most wonderful woman in the world has kindness and wisdom.  Some would think me old fashioned but I still feel that those traits hold true today.

-j

Lol, ok, I will keep that in mind. Again, the story is boring, there are thousands of similar stories, however, millions of people in the world prefer to read about unfortunate Anna Karenina.

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2013, 10:42:04 PM »
Lol, ok, I will keep that in mind. Again, the story is boring, there are thousands of similar stories, however, millions of people in the world prefer to read about unfortunate Anna Karenina.

Don't be such a wet blanket!  Of course there are thousands (even millions) of such stories (possibly, even, your own), but very few actually get written about.  As an old-fashioned romantic, I would far rather read the occasional story like this than be constantly bombarded with doom, gloom and destruction (and that's only here on RWD)!  It's nice to see what might possibly be in my future, even without the kids.

Offline LiveFromUkraine

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2013, 10:49:48 PM »

Maybe you should go to the theater and give this thread a break.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2013, 11:06:29 PM »

Don't be such a wet blanket!  Of course there are thousands (even millions) of such stories (possibly, even, your own), but very few actually get written about.  As an old-fashioned romantic, I would far rather read the occasional story like this than be constantly bombarded with doom, gloom and destruction (and that's only here on RWD)!  It's nice to see what might possibly be in my future, even without the kids.

+1

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 12:19:32 AM »
Is Patrick still the planet love admin [does anybody know?]
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline mies

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013, 01:58:29 AM »

-j

a bit off-topic, but what do you think are the qualities of the most wonderful man in the world?

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2013, 02:09:16 AM »
Beautiful story, beautiful couple, beautiful photos.
Thank you to share your story.
"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline Shadow

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2013, 03:35:23 AM »
Is Patrick still the planet love admin [does anybody know?]
Patrick retired a long time ago.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline Anechka

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2013, 08:23:30 AM »

Sorry, my husband is a system administrator, not a writer.
Old-fashioned romantic story? Give me a break! It's a story about a guy who went to do wife-shopping. If he removes the first 2 girls, then yes, it's a nice family story, but accusation of prostitution (that he can't prove, it's just his imagination) doesn't usually go with romance unless he marries the girl at the end.

Offline Gator

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2013, 08:51:54 AM »
Nothkape,

Thank you for staying with us through some photo turmoil and updating us about your happy life with a RW and children.  It is a good story, the type that compels men to venture to the FSU.   Compared to most RW marriages to western men, 13 years is a long time.  Congratulations!

Your story demonstrates that it probably takes time to find the special woman who is ideal for you, and along the way you may briefly become involved with a few who are less than ideal for you, yet may be fine for another man.

No one commented about this; however, I think the two of you are a very attractive couple.

I am older than you and thought MIL is indeed fine. :D

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 09:54:26 AM »
To the OP.

May you tell me, among several FSU ladies you choice HER ?
Why her and not an other ?

:luv:
"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 11:38:43 AM »
Very enjoyable story and you have a beautiful family. Thanks for sharing as it shows that international marriages can be successful.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Online northkape

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2013, 08:53:02 PM »
Pat, what I was searching for, and found in Lena is explained in the first and second part.

Part three:
Leaving for Norway

For the day after the wedding we had rented this nice restaurant for brunch with the family, including my parents and my brother with his wife.

Never before or after have I been served dishes with such an amount of work put into it.

The fish plate behind wasn't a fish, but it was made from the skin of a fish stuffed with fish meat inside.

There were several plates decorated like this one;
A picture of a bird made from delicious tasting foods.
Just amazing, (for me never to forget).

Then came the all the paper stuff.
Everyone at the authorities necessary for signing the passport documents had been bribed
beforehand so they were present at work this day.
I personally drove the director of the office (he was hiding in the back of my car) to the regional headquarters in Dnepropetrovsk were all paperwork was supposed to be ready and waiting. Something had apparently failed however, and we were standing there waiting for three hours before he came out with a thumbs up and signaled for me to take him back to Lena's hometown. An hour later Lena had a new international passport with her new family name in it.

Before we left for the long drive to Kiev we stopped at the top of the hill and looked back at Lena's hometown.

This was what we were leaving behind.
The industrial town at the end of the road.

Had an appointment at the Norwegian Embassy in the early morning. With the Norwegian fiancee visa in hand, we drove to the Austrian embassy for a chengen visa, as we had planned a visit to Wien after leaving Ukraine. I walked by the long line of women waiting outside and persuaded the guard at the door to let me in. A few hours later, in the last minutes before closing time we got the visa for Lena.
We had been able to accomplish what seemed impossible at first, marrying on Saturday and leaving Tuesday evening for the honeymoon, with Lena's new passport and all papers in hand.

We drove from Kiev through Shitomir were we spent the night at the only hotel with a lockable garage for the car. They didn't have hot water at the time, so we got an electrical heater spiral to put into a bucket were we could heat water. Then through Livov and crossing the border into Hungary.
In the following three weeks we drove a long route through southern Europe before heading north through France and Germany. Along the way we also stopped to visit some friends of Lena that had left Ukraine before her.

A picture of us in Cannes on the French Riviera

When arriving for the boat from northern Germany to Oslo there was no available fare with the car for the next two days.
Neither could we take the boat to Sweden as Lena didn't have the necessary visa.
Decided to drive through Denmark instead, for a boat to southern Norway.
Ended up spending the next day getting a transfer visa for Lena through Denmark.

Lena on the upper deck between Denmark and southern Norway.

Arriving in Norway

The day after arriving we were out for a beer at the riverside in my hometown.

On the first weekend we visited my parents and sister at their summerhouse.

Lena had a valid drivers license from Ukraine already, but she has to pass a full test within a year to make it permanently valid in Norway.
A few weeks later, after driving together with her every evening to gain experience behind the wheel, I got her a used car so she had the freedom go wherever she wanted on her own.

My brother had a nice boat we could use for short trips along the coast.

A meeting not recommended for your new RW

The girl I had been dating the year before marrying with Lena invited us to a party in Oslo.
A beautiful aircraft pilot three years older than Lena.
I had told her earlier that I was writing with women from FSU for finding a wife.
She never believed I would actually find one, and now she was curious to see what I had fallen in love with.
In the first years after marrying we often met former dates of mine and it was obvious to me that it was hard for Lena to hide her displeasure.
Later, when she understood that those were nothing but cold tracks from the past, she no longer cared.

A couple of months later; we are celebrating her 24th birthday

My dear Lenochka

To be continued
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 08:58:16 PM by northkape »

Offline mies

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2013, 12:35:58 PM »
I had told her earlier that I was writing with women from FSU for finding a wife.
...what I had fallen in love with.

Online northkape

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2013, 01:55:27 PM »
Thanks for questioning my choice of words Mies.
I think I understand what you are thinking.
In my opinion however, "what" is correct for what I'm trying to tell.
Think about it more like: "what is great about that person"

English is not my native language and I'm certainly not above making mistakes.
So if you or anyone else can convince me I'm wrong, I'm willing to listen.

Jan

Offline calmissile

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2013, 02:29:26 PM »

Jan

Don't worry, I think we all know what you meant.   Your language if fine.
A great story, keep it coming.  It is so refreshing to hear success stories.

Doug (Calmissile)

Offline mies

« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2013, 02:34:17 PM »

Jan

Neither it is mine. :) And i do understand what you were saying, so that's ok.
Please, continue your story. Yours is quite fascinating example of happy marriage.

My comment was rather philosophical, and as such - boring. Falling in love is commonly believed to be irrational behavior. It is often said that if you love a person - you love all their qualities/features too, because they belong to the person you love. It is rather rare to hear that someone has fallen in love with the set of qualities (what), but we do quite often hear that someone has fallen in love with a person (who) with some particular set of qualities. Also, usually the word "what" is used for objects rather than subjects. In this case, it makes sense to chose the word "what" when indicating that you are talking about the object, collection of useful features, rather than the integral person. You seem to be focusing on these high-quality features when talking about every woman you dated, and like to support your words with photos.
What is remarkable in this whole story, your wife apparently truly loves you. Otherwise why would she stay with you for 13 years and have 2 sons with you? I surely wouldn't stay with such men, more than 50% of RWs wouldn't. As such, you marriage is indeed happy. A rare luck for you, perhaps.   
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 03:19:06 PM by mies »

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2013, 02:40:21 PM »

Jan

A logical construct which most native English speakers wouldn't even think about!  To me, this reinforces the learning of another language - one of the great results of my learning French and Latin at school was how much the knowledge of their grammar and sentence construction improved my English grammar and sentence construction.

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2013, 02:55:37 PM »
Before we left for the long drive to Kiev we stopped at the top of the hill and looked back at Lena's hometown.

This was what we were leaving behind.
The industrial town at the end of the road.

Without trying to be too rude about another part of the world, I, too, would be happy to leave that behind.  It is eerily reminiscent of photos I've seen from the 1930s and earlier of steel and mining towns in the USA and Russia where people died early deaths due solely to the horrendous atmospheric pollution.

A meeting not recommended for your new RW

The girl I had been dating the year before marrying with Lena invited us to a party in Oslo.
A beautiful aircraft pilot three years older than Lena.
She never believed I would actually find one, and now she was curious to see what I had fallen in love with.
In the first years after marrying we often met former dates of mine and it was obvious to me that it was hard for Lena to hide her displeasure.
Later, when she understood that those were nothing but cold tracks from the past, she no longer cared.

What did you expect?  You've married a really beautiful young woman from outside your own culture, who is over the moon to find such a great, caring man...and now you're introducing her to your ex-girlfriends?  :cluebat:   There are plenty of FSUW (probably even some on this forum  ;D ) who would have walked out on you for doing something like this.

Apart from that, however, I'm glad that you have found such a wonderful, tolerant woman!  Congratulations on the way your life has gone since Lena entered it all those years ago.  :couple:

Offline Ranetka

• Back to Earth from Cloud Nine
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2013, 03:05:53 PM »
Jan,

what made you to post this thread now, 13 years later?
There are shortcuts to happiness and dancing is one of them.

I do resent the fact that most people never question or think for themselves. I don't want to be normal. I just want to find some other people that are odd in the same ways that I am. OP.

Offline mies

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2013, 03:13:27 PM »

What did you expect?  You've married a really beautiful young woman from outside your own culture, who is over the moon to find such a great, caring man...and now you're introducing her to your ex-girlfriends?  :cluebat:   There are plenty of FSUW (probably even some on this forum  ;D ) who would have walked out on you for doing something like this.

not just that. Many young and hot RWs would first  :cluebat: the OP to "teach him a valuable lesson," and only then would walk out on him  :ROFL: RWs are very humane, and it is only humane to teach the true values to someone who spent 45 years of his life unable to say right from wrong and black from white. 
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 03:17:48 PM by mies »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541009
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1867
Total: 1878

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM