It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Poll

Which communication software program do you use? / This poll is not set to expire.

Whatsapp
2 (16.7%)
Viber
3 (25%)
Primarily Skype but am experimenting with other programs
0 (0%)
Whatsapp for Voice but another program for video
0 (0%)
I use Skype with the Clownfish option to have my messages translated into my honey's language
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: Skype, Whatsapp or Viber  (Read 3990 times)

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Skype, Whatsapp or Viber
« on: November 26, 2015, 08:01:50 AM »
For the all of the multitudes of communication programs and phone apps, I am interested to know what type of communication you have with your overseas sweetheart(s).

I will tell you all that we have used all three. 

Skype:  Seems to be the best known of the three.  But it also is a resource hog and does not make the best use of packet switching for phone video conversations.  As a means of having a group conversation, it can be an excellent tool as many of us have enjoyed on this forum, speaking to each other.

Whatsapp:  This is a smaller communication program that does not offer video communication.  It offers a tremendous voice service and, when talking to people overseas, it seems to be the most widely used on cell phones in UA and Russia.

Viber:  Late to the game but widely used.  My fiancee and I primarily use this offering as the video service seems to be a step above Skype and is not as resource intensive.

I make note that all three of these on the same phone or computer and operating at one time can cause problems with the computer's communication resources such as interrrupts and access to the internet, camera and speakers.

Which do you use?  Share your experiences.

Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline GatoMoon

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Skype, Whatsapp or Viber
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 08:04:42 AM »
I do both but skype is easily translated using Google translator on the computer, but with whatapp - cannot copy and paste into translation ???

Offline jone

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 08:07:01 AM »
GatoMoon, you should experiment with Clownfish.  It immediately translates anything you write on Skype.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline GatoMoon

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 08:44:19 AM »
GatoMoon, you should experiment with Clownfish.  It immediately translates anything you write on Skype.

What about whatapps?

Offline alex330

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 09:46:35 AM »
My wife and her family and friends use all three. They each have their own time and place. Like you mention Skype is a hog, but nice for a sit down and face to face with relatives or friends. On the run for a quick text we use Whatsapp from all over the world. Viber I do not use myself but wife and her gf like to use it for phone calls on the cell if out and about.

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 12:41:16 PM »
I use all of them but mainly use viber for the mobility to use when working and on the go.
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline BdHvA

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 07:03:50 PM »
What was the system before Skype called?

I want to say ICQ?

On my Mac and iPad Viber works poorly ~ not really sure why.
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline abashka

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 11:22:37 PM »
I use skype for video, whatsapp and viber for texts,but prefer whatsapp.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 07:48:01 AM »
We use Skype in our Moscow office, and we also use Vonage at the office. However, ever since we moved to a home in the suburbs a few years back, the Internet service is much weaker and would not support video conversations. Thus, Vonage is our favourite as it is voice-only. I like the fact that with Vonage we can have "local" phone numbers in places like London and Paris. I'm just waiting for Vonage to add Amsterdam as a local number, but Dutch phone regulations make that impossible at this time.

I must confess that WhatsUp is not something for which I am familiar. I will check out Viper again.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline alex330

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2015, 08:22:35 AM »
I must confess that WhatsUp is not something for which I am familiar.

Whatsapp is the most widely used platform with over 900 million users and growing. It functions much better internationally than the others for quick texts.

Offline jone

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2015, 08:47:43 AM »
Whatsapp also tends to have better voice transmission than the other two mentioned above.  But it does not have video.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2015, 08:49:26 AM »
Does Whatsapp have both voice and text?
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline alex330

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 08:56:25 AM »
Does Whatsapp have both voice and text?

Yes, it has both.

Offline JayH

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 09:07:20 AM »
Mende-- Skype allows you to have local numbers in many countries -with paid subscription. 3 in first instance and you can add more.
The plusses are numerous--  not the least being you can divert at no cost to another skype id-- so the calls follow you.
Only consideration when on the move is to have data access on phone for Skype-- and that is getting easier everyday.
You can also make outgoing calls from skype showing whatever  id  number you choose-- and can change that easily as required.
Apologies if you already know all this-- but I thought it may interest others.
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline jone

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 09:15:24 AM »
As a unique twist, I have had  Magic Jack since I began traveling internationally.    It allows me to maintain the same local phone number from anywhere in the world.  Most of our major clients have that number included in their contact information for me so they can catch me, even when I am overseas.   Magic Jack provides me with the opportunity to act as if I had a cell phone overseas without the necessity of carrying one that has either been forwarded or is roaming.

The message that people get when they call it is identical to the message that they receive when they call my cell phone.  With my cell phone forwarded to Magic Jack, they do not know that they are not calling my cell phone, only that my return call comes from a slightly different local phone number.

Magic Jack also stacks my messages in my electronic mail so I can selectively listen to them.

There are other solutions for conducting business from overseas.  But this one is comfortable for me.

Offline TagUrIt898

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 11:11:13 PM »
P and I would use viber daily. We both just found it to be a quick and easy way to communicate.  We used Skype when we wanted to video chat.  They all work about the same in opinion, I think it comes down to personal preference and data plans to decide which one to use.

Tag

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541008
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1862
Total: 1873

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM