It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Kiev ATM's  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Oosik

Kiev ATM's
« on: January 04, 2006, 12:45:01 AM »
ATMs in Kiev are often used to steal ID's and money. In Kiev, it was reccomended to me that you use the outdoor ATM to the left of McDonalds in Independence Square. Do not use the one in the bank on the right, and beware of all others.

2 people warned me of this when I was there,  both agency owners.

Offline dorogoyroberto

Kiev ATM's
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 01:36:47 AM »
Oosik,

What makes that McDonald's ATM special? And the one inside the bank to  be avoided? Generally, the outdoor Bankomats (ATMs) are a somewhat  questionable choice as they are usually "unsupervised," whereas the  ones onside banks do have some level of protection afforded by the  presence of bank staff.

I have steered clear of standalone Bankomats outdoors. The one I have  used since April (Creditprombank) is located inside a busy market where  it is in the full view of numerous shop assistants and customers, so  installing, say, a bogus or modified card reader would be difficult. My  U.S. bank has reported no anomalies so far.

Roberto
Kiev, Ukraine

Offline Oosik

Kiev ATM's
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 11:49:45 PM »
They have fishy exchange rates (the one in the bank for sure) and sometimes the pin is stolen. I was just told by a 10 trip part/time resident that that the inside one had problems, ,and the outside one on the next street over was fine. It's like when my little sister rodee a bullet bike for 5 years and when I got mine she told me Chevron never gave her problems, but some otehr places did. I didn't do a scientific study,  I just stuck with the chevron.

Also, VERY IMPORTANT. Let your card company/bank know you will be overseas. They blocked my card on the 3rd day in Ukraine. Thank god they have excellent email response time.

Offline dorogoyroberto

Kiev ATM's
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 05:46:38 AM »
Oosik wrote: "Also, VERY IMPORTANT. Let your card company/bank know you  will be overseas. They blocked my card on the 3rd day in Ukraine."

Absolutely, positively concur on this point. In addition, if you are a  PayPal member and plan to use its debit or credit card(s) overseas,  definitely advise them of your travel plans. They will still ask for  confirmation of transactions each time you log in to their website,  regardless.

Roberto
Kiev, Ukraine

Offline andrewfi

• Commercial Member
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
Kiev ATM's
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 06:21:51 AM »
The exchange rates for Visa/Mastercard transactions are set by Visa/Mastercard and have nothing to do with the bureau de change rates. Normal advice would be to use a machine either inside a bank or similar, or, if outdoors, in a highly trafficked area.

Some bankomats or bankomat systems have additional charges in respect of certain 'out of network' cards, there will be (should be) a sign on the machine when this is so.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541457
Total Topics: 20864
Most Online Today: 1973
Most Online Ever: 12701