It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Life in Russia during World Cup 2018  (Read 8503 times)

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Life in Russia during World Cup 2018
« on: June 18, 2018, 02:57:58 AM »
For those of us interested in REAL football - what do you think of the tournament, so far ?

I think it's great that Germany lost, The Swiss - who shouldn't BE there ( N.Ireland should - thank you Romanian referee ) drew with Brazil and Argentina couldn't beat Iceland and Spain and Portugal drew 3-3

The fans largely seem happy and say the Russian people are friendly

I note that the USA, Canada and Mexico will host the 2026 event and wonder if any nation will ever be allowed to single-host, again ?

Offline Nightwish

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
Re: Life in Russia during World Cup 2018
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 07:29:43 AM »
Shala la la la

"We" took 3 points against South Korea..

The game between Portugal and Spain was one of the best games played.

The results have been very interesting and quite surprising so far, Iceland did not surprise me, they are as a team that "good", for us who followed the last Euro cup knew this could happen.

Brazil was disappointing to watch, they should have been able to do much better, I think they are so afraid to lose a game it will hurt them in the long run.

Tonight it's time for good old England, will they survive the group?

Where is Italy and USA?  :rolleyes: :popcorn:

Multitasking means screwing up several things at once.

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 07:39:54 AM »
The better half says he thinks the game between Spain and Portugal was rigged, that the Mexicans are young and eager to play, and the Germans were overconfident.  He said the Germans are usually slow to warm up.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 08:09:30 AM »
The better half says he thinks the game between Spain and Portugal was rigged, that the Mexicans are young and eager to play, and the Germans were overconfident.  He said the Germans are usually slow to warm up.

As corrupt as FIFA is, nothing about World Cup would surprise me at this point.....
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline BillyB

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 08:51:37 AM »
Where is Italy and USA?  :rolleyes: :popcorn:

Americans have to realize we'll never be dominant in soccer. Although we have a large population and big talent pool of athletes, most our young men want to play other sports.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Nightwish

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 08:56:41 AM »
Americans have to realize we'll never be dominant in soccer. Although we have a large population and big talent pool of athletes, most our young men want to play other sports.

I know, I just like to poke the "bald eagle"   :devil:

We missed the last two world cups 2010/2014, so I should just shut the f*** up  :rolleyes:
Multitasking means screwing up several things at once.

Offline mhr7

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2018, 11:31:46 AM »

Can't say that I agree with your hubby on Spain-Portugal, if any game was rigged it was Russia-Saudi Arabia. The Saudis just rolled over and died in their 5-0 loss. Mexico and Spain both look impressive.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 11:45:14 AM by mhr7 »
"After your death, you will be what you were before your birth." - Schopenhauer

Offline Boethius

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 12:09:22 PM »
He said one of the goalies missed a goal that a child wouldn't miss.

On Russia, he disagrees with you, said Saudi Arabia just didn't play well, notwithstanding the presence of a Saudi prince.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline msmob

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2018, 01:31:25 PM »
Americans have to realize we'll never be dominant in soccer.

I see our BillyB isn't aware who the world champions  ( Women's) - and who have won the most times..;)

Offline BdHvA

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2018, 03:59:51 PM »
I see our BillyB isn't aware who the world champions  ( Women's) - and who have won the most times..;)

Thank you, MSMob for pointing this out. Yes the American women playing footsie are strong and feared.
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline LAman

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2018, 04:14:11 PM »
Thank you, MSMob for pointing this out. Yes the American women playing footsie are strong and feared.

It's called Title IX legislation.
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline BillyB

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2018, 04:33:24 PM »

Excuse me for changing the subject. I thought we are talking men's World Cup Soccer. Since we're talking women's soccer, I should note the men's high paying sports of professional football, basketball, and baseball hasn't drained the best of the best women's athletes in America so women's soccer has a great chance to succeed. If soccer was the #1 men's sport here, I'm sure we'd have a men's team that would be a contender.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline BdHvA

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2018, 05:52:28 PM »
It's called Title IX legislation.

Title IX is an example where government regulations actually worked. I could site others but the point is sometimes the government does work.
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2018, 10:04:17 PM »
A reporter for German broadcaster DW, Julieth Gonzalez Theran, was sexually assaulted on live TV while reporting on the World Cup. PC is still at least 20 years away in Russia.

http://www.dw.com/en/dw-reporter-sexually-harassed-during-world-cup-broadcast/a-44301268

Offline msmob

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 11:54:58 PM »
Whilst I think what we would regard as 'PC' is longer away than that...  I'm sorry to say such incidents happen in western nations, too ... not just Russia..  Then there's meetoo ?!

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2018, 12:38:39 AM »
Whilst I think what we would regard as 'PC' is longer away than that...  I'm sorry to say such incidents happen in western nations, too ... not just Russia..  Then there's meetoo ?!

Just after we were married in Russia my wife was telling me about a women's self defense class she took in the late 90s in Moscow. The instructors were ex Russian military unarmed combat instructors. They taught her how to gouge out an attacker's eyes. Punch him in his throat and crush his larynx. Drive her stiletto heel into his instep. Many of the things they taught her if done correctly would have killed the attacker or maimed him. She was told this would be legal in Russia if used in self defense. In NYC probably not.

Offline msmob

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 12:46:47 AM »
She was told this would be legal in Russia if used in self defense. In NYC probably not.

I wouldn't want her to to have tested this 'advice' - based on the successfulness of such defence being if  the unfortunate attacker was friendly with the judge ...((

Offline BdHvA

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2018, 04:07:25 AM »
Just after we were married in Russia my wife was telling me about a women's self defense class she took in the late 90s in Moscow. The instructors were ex Russian military unarmed combat instructors. They taught her how to gouge out an attacker's eyes. Punch him in his throat and crush his larynx. Drive her stiletto heel into his instep. Many of the things they taught her if done correctly would have killed the attacker or maimed him. She was told this would be legal in Russia if used in self defense. In NYC probably not.

Most likely your wife as many in the former Soviet Union learned a form of 'Sambo'. It is a martial arts form that was developed there prior to the 2nd World War.

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 06:27:08 PM »
The UK Daily Mail is reporting that FIFA knew of Russian state-sponsored doping and cover-ups the world governing body have buried.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5878241/FIFA-knew-cover-Russia-players-positive-drug-test-18-months-ago.html

From the article:

FIFA and World Cup hosts Russia are plunged into fresh doping turmoil, as The Mail on Sunday reveal new evidence of state-sponsored doping and cover-ups the world governing body have buried.

The incredible details include new information about how Russia’s Sports Ministry covered up the positive test of one of the players initially named in their World Cup squad and then swapped his tainted urine for a clean sample.

This comes as fans around the world, including Russia, have renewed doubts about the trustworthiness of the national team following their record-breaking start to this World Cup.

We can reveal that FIFA had documentary proof of institutional cover-ups in Russian football 18 months ago — but have apparently done nothing to hold Russia’s FA or Sports Ministry to account.

The scale of the corruption was huge, with investigators saying 155 Russian football doping cases they uncovered were the ‘tip of the iceberg’ and at least 34 of those produced paperwork, testimony and other corroboration they felt would give FIFA a good chance of formal disciplinary proceedings.

Does anyone think FIFA is not corrupt? What about the Russian Sports Ministry? Are they corrupt? After reading the article one has to ask why was the World Cup was allowed to be played in Russia? Did FIFA decide Putin had paid his bribes in good faith and deserved the World Cup? Is that FIFA's criteria?

Offline msmob

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2018, 11:41:50 PM »
FIFA were EXTREMELY corrupt and allowed to self-police

Re Russia ...  The Russians used leased PCs for their bid and they could not be examined and all the data was wiped .. !

Having the tournament there is a huge win for VVP, now - but after the party ends and all the extra taxes must be paid ....

Russia's football  team - if they had crashed out at the group stages - would have meant this pain game sooner ..   They have done FAR better than I (and most pundits) thought and even if they go out in the next round -  Russians will be happy with how the event turned out and how they excelled

Anything that has gone before - it' too late ...  Russia has her World Cup tournament .. 

Offline Boethius

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2018, 07:31:21 PM »
So any surprises so far?  Any predictions on who will win?

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2018, 08:57:48 PM »
FIFA were EXTREMELY corrupt and allowed to self-police

Re Russia ...  The Russians used leased PCs for their bid and they could not be examined and all the data was wiped .. !

Having the tournament there is a huge win for VVP, now - but after the party ends and all the extra taxes must be paid ....

Russia's football  team - if they had crashed out at the group stages - would have meant this pain game sooner ..   They have done FAR better than I (and most pundits) thought and even if they go out in the next round -  Russians will be happy with how the event turned out and how they excelled

Anything that has gone before - it' too late ...  Russia has her World Cup tournament ..

msmob, 'were', you make it sound as if FIFA has cleaned up its corruption. After all how do you think Russia got the nod to host World Cup 2018? How much do you think VVP paid for it?

Sepp Blatter is gone and is reportedly banned from FIFA activities for a few years however FIFA activities are so cloaked to outsiders it's impossible to know what's happening inside FIFA. I wouldn't be surprised if Blatter is still involved in some aspects of FIFA operations. Blatter probably won't be prosecuted for anything, meaning he'll profit from all the bribes he's received and is free to spend the money and earn more from his FIFA connections.

Current FIFA president Gianni Infantino is reportedly just as corrupt as Blatter as are many other current senior FIFA members. Yet the US was criticized by many, mostly Europeans for taking action against FIFA and prosecuting a large number of senior FIFA officials. Take a look at the BBC link to see just how many senior FIFA officials the US is prosecuting. msmob, any idea how many senior FIFA officials the European countries have prosecuted for FIFA related corruption over the last few decades?

It appears the European countries that are long time soccer powerhouses in FIFA had little interest in cleaning up the current corruption in FIFA. They were more than willing to leave it to the US to do the dirty work. Why?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-32897171
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/may/28/us-russia-fifa-corruption-investigation

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2018, 05:25:45 AM »
...Sepp Blatter is gone and is reportedly banned from FIFA activities for a few years however FIFA activities are so cloaked to outsiders it's impossible to know what's happening inside FIFA. I wouldn't be surprised if Blatter is still involved in some aspects of FIFA operations. Blatter probably won't be prosecuted for anything, meaning he'll profit from all the bribes he's received and is free to spend the money and earn more from his FIFA connections.

Sepp Blatter is so far in the doghouse that he's not even allowed to attend social football matches... oh, no, that must be another Sepp Blatter.  The one invited to Russia by President Putin, and who attended the opening match with the President, surely couldn't be the same guy who had been banned for six years!  Could he?  :cluebat:

Offline BdHvA

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2018, 05:45:30 AM »
So any surprises so far?  Any predictions on who will win?

Yes, surprises are Germany, Argentina, Brazil, Spain and Portugal are no longer playing footsie in Russia. A Cinderella story is truly Croatia. So my perdictions:

My heart goes to Croatia.

My gut feels for Belgium.

Common sense says France.

But there are those mad English.

1st place Belgium, 2nd place England, 3rd place France is my guess.

Worth noting the final four are European and predominately Catholic, well OK one is Catholic light.

Offline mhr7

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2018, 05:54:11 AM »
Yes, surprises are Germany, Argentina, Brazil, Spain and Portugal are no longer playing footsie in Russia. A Cinderella story is truly Croatia. So my perdictions:

My heart goes to Croatia.

My gut feels for Belgium.

Common sense says France.

But there are those mad English.

1st place Belgium, 2nd place England, 3rd place France is my guess.

Worth noting the final four are European and predominately Catholic, well OK one is Catholic light.

I largely agree with this. I want to Croatia win but I believe it will be Belgium. France is very good and coming on strong though. England's good but not good enough.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 06:14:12 AM by mhr7 »
"After your death, you will be what you were before your birth." - Schopenhauer

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1939
Total: 1950

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM