It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Starting and Running a Business in the Republic of Georgia, Batumi  (Read 88253 times)

Offline Maxx2

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Starting and Running a Business in the Republic of Georgia, Batumi
« Reply #475 on: June 01, 2021, 06:31:52 AM »
Good luck on your first day of business and Happy Birthday Maxx!!!!

Went real well. Except for one Georgian all were expats. Even had a West Texan. He liked the food very much and said he was definitely going to come often.

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #476 on: June 01, 2021, 08:29:04 AM »

Expats may be missing some of the stuff they remember back home so they are eager to eat. Give it time Maxx, once more of the natives try your stuff, they may be the majority of your customers.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Maxx2

My bit of honesty in the Republic of Georgia, Batumi
« Reply #477 on: June 29, 2021, 09:51:46 AM »

Hello All and especially GQ

When I started posting on these forums 18 years ago I was known as being open about myself. I chronicled my failed marriage to a RW. Now I will do the same about my business.

I probably will sell it. There is only 2-3 months of the tourist season left. Currently it is closed. I know two men who sell businesses here. One is Georgian and other an American from Texas. 

For the first two weeks we only had two days of profit.

These are the things I hadn't factored on.

Covid and the destruction of the economies of the world. People lack money here and everywhere. Tourists are a small fraction of what they were back in 2019.

I set my place up to be like Chipotles. Nobody here understands that model. They just take the menu and sit down. Not being able speak Georgian or Russia really makes it difficult to explain to them.

Finding hard Georgian workers is really, really hard. They have this reputation among themselves and ALL the expats I know.

Georgians prefer Georgian food.. Strongly so. They will eat the same Khinkala over and over again. Georgians are usually proud and stubborn. I had very few Georgian customers. The bulk of my business was expats and an occasional tourist.

I was counting on walk-by business. That was a bad idea. I needed to do social media, Facebook, Instagram and Trip advisor. I could still do this but there are these factors I am explaining now telling me I should go back to retirement.

I've heard from two people today that there might be another lockdown due a new Indian variant. 

I had some fun with the people who came by. It gave me something to do during the lockdown. But what I hadn't counted on was the stress. There is always government inspectors looking for tax revenue for violation of some rule. Especially in these times. I did read though all fines for violating the covid rules have been forgiven. Also the lifting of the curfew from 11 PM to 4 AM will be lifted Thursday. So  some mercy is being extended.

Most of the warnings given to me here about opening such a business have been proven right.

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
« Reply #478 on: June 29, 2021, 09:59:22 AM »
You are a decent and honest man Max.If I go to Batumi, which could perfectly happen in the future, I will let you know to invite you to some restaurant.

"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #479 on: June 29, 2021, 11:30:19 AM »
You are a decent and honest man Max.If I go to Batumi, which could perfectly happen in the future, I will let you know to invite you to some restaurant.

I would like to meet you someday.

Offline ML

« Reply #480 on: June 29, 2021, 12:23:21 PM »
I was one of the ones (or should have been) who advised against this way back when.

I take no pleasure in being right.

Hope the best for your future.

I did for sure advise that those Americans who think they can go retire to some other country will be seriously in trouble with respect to health care . . . at some future point with 100% certainty.

All such will HAVE to return to USA permanently at some point.

And if they have not enrolled in a Supplemental Health care plan (in addition to Medicare) and a Supplemental prescription when first eligible . . . their premiums for such will be increased by 1% for every month they delay enrolling.

All of this gets quite expensive for those who like the idea of getting (or trying to get) pussy that can't be obtained in USA.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 12:25:19 PM by ML »
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #481 on: June 29, 2021, 12:28:59 PM »

I well would I live in the States on $1317 a month of  Social Security? I buy heath insurance here for $13 a month (40 Lari).

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #482 on: June 29, 2021, 12:30:32 PM »

Thanks ML. I wish you the best too.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #483 on: June 29, 2021, 01:50:46 PM »

Thinking out loud here.

I live in a nice comfortable apartment for $120 (400 GEL) a month. I have no lease. I can leave at anytime.

I am considering of living at my business. I have met a lot of interesting people because of it. I'll have to do some things and spend a little money making it more comfortable. Like buying couche and stuffed armchairs. I will need to go to the Revenue Department to turn of my individual entrepreneur status says my bookkeeper.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #484 on: June 29, 2021, 02:23:42 PM »
Maxx-

The call or need to be right was never the point. Not then and certainly not now. Given your situation then when you first solicited the board's opinion before, frankly, I'd prefer to be wrong in my advisement to you and have you succeed. I still honestly feel that way now.

Having said that, I still stand behind what I said then for the simple reason you asked for an 'honest' opinion. It's always tempting to tell people what they like to hear, than to be honest with them.

Going forward, I hope you will always have better days ahead.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #485 on: June 29, 2021, 02:58:48 PM »
Maxx-

Going forward, I hope you will always have better days ahead.

I hope the same for you.

The good thing about what I did was I got meet a lot of interesting people. All my friends are people I met because of the business. I will set it up as a hobby and invite people over. Maybe a turkey dinner with all the fixings now and then?

Some of the expats are dying to eat Western food.

A turkey I cooked.

A few years before I met you GQ  I had gotten divorced from my American wife. Since I was a Jehovah's Witness (now no more) going into the FSU to look for a wife was a bad, bad idea. I lacked sophistication when it comes to women. The same could be said at starting a business at age 68 in a foreign country.

I have had few phone calls with BC. A nice, nice guy! He said I shouldn't beat myself up too much. He said a lot of restaurants at these covid times have gone out of business. I have heard the restaurants in California have been decimated. Not making an excuses but these are extraordinary times to be in business.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #486 on: June 29, 2021, 04:13:46 PM »
Restaurant business is pretty volatile. I personally know 3 who are in this business, or tried to be. As one once told me, it's akin to tossing spaghetti (the real kind not that garbage they make in Italy) on the wall. Only a skant few will stick and most flops on the floor. Those that did stick, soon dries up and goes stale.

Business report I read cited that 37% of small businesses we had in the US before COVID lockdown is gone forever. Those who survived, are still very much in a struggle today because they can't find workers for their establishments due in large measure that because of the additional federal $300.00 unemployment boost, they make more money staying unemployed.

See, even our government have a tough time trying to figure out the right way to do things.
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #487 on: June 29, 2021, 06:40:13 PM »

See, even our government have a tough time trying to figure out the right way to do things.

Certainly true. People who have never been in business should not tell others how to run theirs.

I have a new plan and that is turn it into a hobby. I've met a lot of interesting people at my place which I am proud of.

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
« Reply #488 on: June 30, 2021, 12:42:35 PM »

I hope the same for you.

The good thing about what I did was I got meet a lot of interesting people. All my friends are people I met because of the business. I will set it up as a hobby and invite people over. Maybe a turkey dinner with all the fixings now and then?

Some of the expats are dying to eat Western food.

A turkey I cooked.

A few years before I met you GQ  I had gotten divorced from my American wife. Since I was a Jehovah's Witness (now no more) going into the FSU to look for a wife was a bad, bad idea. I lacked sophistication when it comes to women. The same could be said at starting a business at age 68 in a foreign country.

I have had few phone calls with BC. A nice, nice guy! He said I shouldn't beat myself up too much. He said a lot of restaurants at these covid times have gone out of business. I have heard the restaurants in California have been decimated. Not making an excuses but these are extraordinary times to be in business.
Max, only people who would do nothing can have regret. You had the courage to try. Thumbs up. You are courageous.
"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #489 on: June 30, 2021, 01:57:17 PM »
I was one of the ones (or should have been) who advised against this way back when.

I take no pleasure in being right.

I did for sure advise that those Americans who think they can go retire to some other country will be seriously in trouble with respect to health care . . . at some future point with 100% certainty.

All such will HAVE to return to USA permanently at some point.

And if they have not enrolled in a Supplemental Health care plan (in addition to Medicare) and a Supplemental prescription when first eligible . . . their premiums for such will be increased by 1% for every month they delay enrolling.

All of this gets quite expensive for those who like the idea of getting (or trying to get) pussy that can't be obtained in USA.

There's a lot of Latinos/Mexicans that work in our industry, from those in my orbit that I've spoken with, the majority have plans of 'going back home' when they retire. Many are actually building (built homes) to accommodate their retirement plans.

One told me his home is almost finished. Located in Ensenada in the Baja California Peninsula. Surfing haven! He said it's costing him $75K when this is all done. Land included. $75,000.00!!!

"I won't lose my 'US roots'", he said, "If I need to, I'll come back and get what I need. That's what I've been doing with my family all my life!" "My kids are all US-citizens. They can stay there and come visit us when they have the time! The US owes me monies for my SS and Medicare and you bet I'm taking advantage of that, too!!"

Ensenada is a nice place, even for a gringo! He said there's a huge Gringo community there all over the place. I (can) believe it.

Offline ML

« Reply #490 on: June 30, 2021, 02:40:14 PM »
The US owes me monies for my SS and Medicare and you bet I'm taking advantage of that, too!!"

He can't use any Medicare outside USA.
So not very useful for year to year standard care or emergencies.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541437
Total Topics: 20863
Most Online Today: 2422
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 2021
Total: 2030

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 05:23:57 PM

Re: international travel by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:41:40 PM

international travel by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:20:06 PM

Re: Does it ever feel strange to visit a place where you were with a previous girl? by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:05:32 PM

Re: international travel by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:05:13 PM

International travel by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 02:39:39 PM

Re: Does it ever feel strange to visit a place where you were with a previous girl? by ML
Yesterday at 02:16:29 PM

Does it ever feel strange to visit a place where you were with a previous girl? by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 11:21:59 AM

Re: Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 08:13:26 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 08:03:37 AM