It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Trip Confirmed!  (Read 4303 times)

Offline KenInUtah

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Trip Confirmed!
« on: March 06, 2015, 09:03:36 AM »
OK guys, it's official!  I booked my tickets to Moscow this morning!  Going for 9 days next month! 

So I looked up flights online and eventually chose doing it through Priceline.  CheapOair and TravelOne were $30 cheaper for the same flight but I want some piece of mind with a bigger company.  The reviews I saw for CheapOair and TravelOne were not good.

Anyway, $774 round trip from SLC to VKO is still a steal.  Trip is easy too, JetBlue from SLC to NYC and then Transaero from NYC to Moscow.  21 hours travel time each way.  Only tiny issue is I have an 8 hour layover in NYC but so be it!

Now the packing can start and any tips you guys have will be appreciated.  I already have a electric converter and money belt.  Besides the obvious, anything you guys suggest bringing?

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Trip Confirmed!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 09:35:04 AM »
I wouldn't be flying anywhere on Transaero.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Wayne

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 10:30:36 AM »
I took Transaero between Moscow and Simferopol without any problems. The only food provided was a candy bar. They have old planes, but a good safety record. I did not know that they have flights between NYC and Moscow. Perhaps they are expanding their service?

Offline KenInUtah

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 10:32:08 AM »
Wouldn't say its an old plane.  Its a 777

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 04:00:44 PM »
OK guys, it's official!  I booked my tickets to Moscow this morning!  Going for 9 days next month! 

So I looked up flights online and eventually chose doing it through Priceline.  CheapOair and TravelOne were $30 cheaper for the same flight but I want some piece of mind with a bigger company.  The reviews I saw for CheapOair and TravelOne were not good.

Anyway, $774 round trip from SLC to VKO is still a steal.  Trip is easy too, JetBlue from SLC to NYC and then Transaero from NYC to Moscow.  21 hours travel time each way.  Only tiny issue is I have an 8 hour layover in NYC but so be it!

Now the packing can start and any tips you guys have will be appreciated.  I already have a electric converter and money belt.  Besides the obvious, anything you guys suggest bringing?

An electric converter and a money belt? The money belt was probably a waste of money. You don't need an electric converter unless you are going to be needing to run some really old crap. Most phones, computers ect. already have 220v ability. You just need an adapter plug.

I haven't been in almost 2 years so I don't know how or what difference the sanctions have made. I understand not much difference at all other than goods just cost more. Don't worry with packing everything and the kitchen sink. Whatever you need, chances are you can buy it there. Pack light is my suggestion.

I've flown Transaero a few times with varied results. Not the best airline but if they can save the bucks to make a difference, it's as good as any other. If possible I try to opt for Singapore Air to Moscow. Doesn't cost "that" much more but is way more pleasurable than the others
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:04:12 PM by Faux Pas »

Offline The Natural

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 04:17:22 PM »
Pack light is my suggestion.

He, I always pack up as much as I can bring. Guess it's a different situation With KenInUtah, not visiting very well known individuals. But gifts are always Nice to bring, maybe something unique to Your area, something not exported all over the globe. I Guess they have pretty much all in Moscow. Maybe a bit short on Fish (I haven't yet met a Russian not crazy about Fish). Quality canned Fish, caviar. Maybe some Bourbon?

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 07:32:45 PM »
Ken, I trust that VKO is the closest airport to reach her home. (It is the smallest of Moscow's three International Airports and of any of the three, if the arrival airport is not near her home, the travel costs could easily swallow any savings in both time and across town travel cost.)

Have a great trip!

I am posting a map of the Metro and the major airports. I've added text on each airport to help you. The times listed are when using Aeroexpress trains. Driving times will be easily double in most cases. Aeroexpress is direct from the airport to a designated major Metro station and rail hub.

I think that you can click on the map twice to make it very large. Hopefully you can print it. Moscow is Europe's second largest city (behind Istanbul), so none of these maps are really to exact scale.

For the most accurate and up-to-date Metro map, use only this link as it is directly from the Metro. It is programmable so that you can select a starting point for it to show you the best route, and it calculates the travel time between those points.

http://engl.mosmetro.ru/flash/scheme01.html

« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 07:34:45 PM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2015, 08:04:53 AM »
He, I always pack up as much as I can bring. Guess it's a different situation With KenInUtah, not visiting very well known individuals. But gifts are always Nice to bring, maybe something unique to Your area, something not exported all over the globe. I Guess they have pretty much all in Moscow. Maybe a bit short on Fish (I haven't yet met a Russian not crazy about Fish). Quality canned Fish, caviar. Maybe some Bourbon?

I save most of my baggage room for gifts over and gifts and vodka for the return. Funny, on my very first trip I went with this huge suitcase packed with everything I could imagine that I would need for 2 weeks. I had to pay $200 in the US baggage weight costs. As soon as I got there I had the reality that I didn't need most of everything I had packed. Going forward I just took a shaving kit, 2 pair of jeans, a suit and about 4-5 different shirts. Depending on the time of year I may take a few things for layered clothing. The rest is gifts for my Russian peeps and after nearly a dozen trips I don't bring back many gifts souvenirs anymore. Usually just wine and vodka

Offline Chicagoguy

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 10:57:37 AM »
The map Mendeleyev posted can be a Godsend. Mainly because it is also in English.
They are available free in Where Magazineat concierge desk at better hotels.

Act like VIP in some hotels because they are careful at entrances'. I usually just tell them the truth - that I just want to see concierge.

Offline Shadow

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2015, 12:41:44 PM »
Ken, I trust that VKO is the closest airport to reach her home. (It is the smallest of Moscow's three International Airports and of any of the three, if the arrival airport is not near her home, the travel costs could easily swallow any savings in both time and across town travel cost.)

I am unsure how much the taxi fares have risen lately, but for about USD 50 you can get to any place.
Then again, if your RW meets you at the airport she can guide you to the bus or metro services that will reduce cost. USD2.00 is enough to get from one side of the city to the other by metro. They now use chip cards, the 10-ride cards offer a reasonable value.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline BillyB

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 05:02:26 PM »

Baggage fees can be a killer these days. You may save $20 using the cheapest airline but they may charge you baggage fees at the airport the next cheapest airline may not.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline KenInUtah

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 05:33:50 PM »
Thanks Mendy for the Metro map.  I actually already found an app on my phone for it!

Yes, my lady is going to meet me at the airport and as for being close, she said they were all about equidistant.  She lives on the SE side of Moscow.  We will be taking AeroExpress into town and then the Metro.

As for the electric converter, I meant adapter.  It's for my phone, headphones and selfie stick! 

I agree with FauxPas on the packing.  I am gonna bring a couple pairs of slacks and sportcoats, 2nd pair of shoes plus the normal toiletries and umbrella and the rest will be gifts...some stuff from Utah and others things I think she'd like.  As for gifts for her friends, I'll get something there.

I guess this would be a question though...how many copies of my passport, visa and invitation would be prudent?

I have all the electronics I need like a spare battery (lipstick kind) and chargers/USB cords.  Is there anything out of the ordinary that I may not be considering?

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 09:07:08 PM »
Just take one copy. Given my frequent travel I also have those type docs loaded where they can be accessed electronically.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline ML

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2015, 09:19:25 PM »
Make copies of a lot of things; then just send them to one of your own email addresses; plus copy them onto a usb flash stick.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Shadow

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 05:13:23 AM »

I guess this would be a question though...how many copies of my passport, visa and invitation would be prudent?

None. If you need them, prudency has already left. ;D
Having said that, I did profit once from having a copy of my documents. One single copy is enough if you do not keep it with the originals.
And keeping an electronic copy where you can access it online is prudent as well.

Just do not litter them around, as they can be used for identity theft.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline BillyB

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 11:22:34 AM »
As for gifts for her friends, I'll get something there.

I've never given a lady's friends gifts. What I do with lady's friends is ask the lady I'm visiting if she would mind if I invite her friends all out to dinner with us one evening. It's good to watch them interact and learn something from the lady and the company she keeps.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline fathertime

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 11:32:23 AM »

I've never given a lady's friends gifts. What I do with lady's friends is ask the lady I'm visiting if she would mind if I invite her friends all out to dinner with us one evening. It's good to watch them interact and learn something from the lady and the company she keeps.

That is the 1st time I've heard that...but it is actually a VERY good idea....in addition to being fun.

Fathertime!   
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline calmissile

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 02:52:07 PM »

Agree.  I learned this by trial and error.  Also noted, that often on a first date, the women are more comfortable with a girlfriend in tow.    :)
Doug (Calmissile)

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541334
Total Topics: 20861
Most Online Today: 2843