It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Holiday in Crimea  (Read 19678 times)

Offline The Natural

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Holiday in Crimea
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2016, 11:07:23 PM »
Interesting photo of the guy on the ladder.  Does not appear that dangerous to me.  None of the wires appear to be power wires.  They look like telephone or cable TV wires.  Therefore, no danger of electrocution.  Also, he has a man at the bottom of the ladder to steady it.

This look relatively safe compared to how they harvest oranges in Southern California.  Basically, they throw a ladder into an orange tree and a picker climbs it and picks the oranges and puts them in a bag.  I think I would rather be the guy on the ladder rather than an orange picker.   :)

Also noticed something in the photo that I found interesting when visiting UA.  Many, if not most of the power poles are concrete rather than wood.

You may be right, I didnt take a close look at the wires, would not want to stare too much  ;D

Yes, the power poles are of concrete whereas in Norway they are usually wood. Took a photo now just outside our complex:

Offline The Natural

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2016, 11:18:38 PM »
Thank you for the images, it seems like things in Crimea are not as bad as many people would like others to believe.

Please keep posting images and your experiences while on holiday.

Thank you TP. It is limited though, as far as "documenting" Crimea goes, insofar that we stay here in Kerch and do not move around. We have our 3-year old with us, so that it is better for him. But we have planned a daytrip to the Aquapark in Koktebel soon. That should be great fun  :D

Offline Gator

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2016, 08:12:28 AM »
Natural,

Interesting information.  Thanks for sharing. 

I showed my Russian wife the photo of sausages hanging in the food market.  She smacked her lips, commenting that the US offers fewer choices, all wrapped in plastic.   

What do the local shoppers say about price inflation?   I have not examined the data, but I expect it to show "stagflation" in Russia. 

BTW, you made a good decision some time ago to park your money in gold. 

Offline The Natural

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2016, 12:10:56 PM »
Natural,

Interesting information.  Thanks for sharing. 

I showed my Russian wife the photo of sausages hanging in the food market.  She smacked her lips, commenting that the US offers fewer choices, all wrapped in plastic.   

What do the local shoppers say about price inflation?   I have not examined the data, but I expect it to show "stagflation" in Russia. 

BTW, you made a good decision some time ago to park your money in gold.

Thank you for the kind comments Gator.

People here, as well as my wife, say that prices are higher than before. But on the other hand, I can say the same about most items back home. But I guess it is fair to say prices are higher in Crimea now than when it was Ukrainian but on the other hand, wages and pensions are also higher. I asked just now my wife to ask MIL about her pension. It was 1100 grivnas before and is 9000 roubles now. Calculating that into NOK as I remember 1 Grivna was 70% of a Crown, I would say it was 770 NOK before and about 1170 NOK now. I would say that is a 50% increase nominally and I again had my wife ask MIL which replied that her buying power now, with the increase of both her pension and the price inflation, is a little greater. Of course this is but one example and I do not know how other groups of people fare.

About gold, yes, I consider that a very wise way to store wealth these days. I try to enlighten my Russian family about gold and we brought along a 3 gram China Panda gold coin and a 1 oz. American Silver Eagle to give to our very nice 19-year old nephew. Those items shot up over 5% just after Brexit, so there you go.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 12:19:22 PM by The Natural »

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2016, 06:10:36 PM »
Haha, I was just waiting for your reply on that. I remember back in 2011  ;D

So I guess that's a NO, then?  :cluebat:  :arguing:  :deadhorse:

Offline The Natural

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2016, 11:11:00 PM »
Yesterday we made the drive from Kerch to Koktebel to the Aqua-park there. Great fun for us, especially for Erik.
A couple of close calls with the passing of cars on the road. I must confess I dont understand risking lives just to get a little ahead in the traffic, lots of this very risky behaviour. Fortunately we made it safe back home again late in the evening. On the way back, we made a stop at a restaurant in Feodosiya to have something to eat.

Offline The Natural

« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2016, 11:29:57 PM »
In Koktebel we made a stop at the place where they make the Koktebel brandy and wines.
They have their own store where people can buy, as seen on the photos. Around the area one can see ranks of grape trees.

Offline The Natural

« Reply #57 on: June 28, 2016, 11:47:24 PM »
We made a stop just outside Koktebel to fill up the car.
The road there as well as most of the road between Kerch and Koktebel is newly made and of good standard.
Brother-in-law said it is 116 km from Kerch to Koktebel and except for much of the roads inside Kerch and about 10 km towards Koktebel, as well as a stretch of 8 km on the way and the road through Feodosiya that were of bad old standard, the rest is very good. I would say about 90 kilometres in this stretch.

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2016, 06:32:34 AM »
Roy,

Nice pics, thanks for posting them. Any idea why the Traffic Police sign is in English? Also, I realize you probably don't see many grape trees in Norway but those are vines heh heh  ;D

Offline The Natural

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2016, 11:14:59 AM »
Roy,

Nice pics, thanks for posting them. Any idea why the Traffic Police sign is in English?

I was very surprised to see the sign in English and I too have no idea why. But interesting enough to take a photo.

[/size]

Also, I realize you probably don't see many grape trees in Norway but those are vines heh heh  ;D

Haha, I suspect youre right about that.  :D

Offline HoundDaddyLee

« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2016, 11:45:24 AM »
Great photos.

I have always been amazed at the highway gas stations/convenient stores. Always so clean. Not like here in the US.

HDL

Offline The Natural

« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2016, 12:55:57 PM »
Some more photos from our trip to the centre today. Photos of street outside a toy store and of Erik in the pedestrian street.

Offline The Natural

« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2016, 01:01:55 PM »
Jaruslav, our funny, talkative and dependable taxi driver with his 13-year old Lada. Once when he struggled to start the car, he threw up his hands, grinned and said: "Russian car"  :P

Photos from the height called the Mitridat which has a great view of the city and sea:

Offline The Natural

« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2016, 01:13:15 PM »
I zoomed the hell out of my camera from Mitridat towards the bridge in progress. It is not possible to go close to the construction area as it is restricted. Hope this gives a glimpse at least of what it is like, as of today.

Sometimes, mostly at night, we can hear a thundering sound from there. People say it is connected to putting down the pillars of the bridge.

Offline The Natural

« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2016, 08:37:45 AM »
Well, nothing lasts forever and we went to the beach for our last bath this vacation. As always, Erik screamed and shouted in delight and was highly active.

Earlier in the day wife and I went to the centre to do a little shopping. Bough a new phone for MIL and a bag for all of Eriks toys :-)

Tomorrow in the morning we will start the drive towards Moscow. BIL will drive us as he works there.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 08:39:27 AM by The Natural »

Offline The Natural

« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2016, 08:43:07 AM »
Final images from the beach.

Offline BC

« Reply #66 on: July 03, 2016, 09:16:17 AM »
Thanks for the nice photo series Natural, with a great ending.

Might have to try Crimea soon.

Wish you a safe trip to Moscow.. wow that will be quite a road trip!

Offline mhr7

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2016, 09:30:34 AM »
Yes, thanks for sharing your trip Natural. Glad you had a good time.
"After your death, you will be what you were before your birth." - Schopenhauer

Offline fathertime

« Reply #68 on: July 03, 2016, 09:35:46 AM »
Well, nothing lasts forever and we went to the beach for our last bath this vacation. As always, Erik screamed and shouted in delight and was highly active.

Earlier in the day wife and I went to the centre to do a little shopping. Bough a new phone for MIL and a bag for all of Eriks toys :-)

Tomorrow in the morning we will start the drive towards Moscow. BIL will drive us as he works there.

your boy looks healthy and happy...the older ladies in the photo look completely delighted!

Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline onlyFSU4me

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #69 on: July 03, 2016, 05:35:55 PM »
Yes, thanks for sharing your trip Natural. Glad you had a good time.

X2 Natural, thanks for sharing. It was nice to have a hands on account of what it was like in Crimea right now. Enjoy Moscow!

Offline The Natural

« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2016, 09:40:48 PM »
Thank you guys. We had a wonderful time here, Erik too and he got to meet the Russian family and his grandmother too, which he didnt see in two years. Wife and MIL are packing now and we will go in a couple of hours.

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2016, 01:44:01 AM »
The Fuel prices for petrol / diesel are more expensive than in Russia, proper .. about 5 percent more - well compared to Sochi
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline The Natural

« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2016, 10:25:59 AM »
It is about the same as in Moscow. On the way to Moscow, the cheapest 95 petrol we saw was at 34.00 roubles. Most were priced at 37-40.

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
« Reply #73 on: July 07, 2016, 06:58:57 AM »
It is about the same as in Moscow. On the way to Moscow, the cheapest 95 petrol we saw was at 34.00 roubles. Most were priced at 37-40.

I have seen it as low as 32 over the ' border'  in 'Abkhazia' ...I paid no more than 34/5 / litre ...hence my observation that Crimea was more expensive.. it's just across a strait from the same Region..

http://www.expatistan.com/price/gas/sochi

As you say, Moscow seems to be around 3 roubles a Litre more... ????

http://www.expatistan.com/price/gas/moscow

Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline The Natural

« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2016, 02:16:36 PM »
We're back in Norway as of yesterday, safe and sound. Trip went well, also the about 1000 mile drive from Crimea to Moscow. Interesting but pretty demanding, even With a sleepover at a hotel on the way. If there is any interest, I can post some photos from the Ferry and onwards and a few comments on what happened on out way back to the west.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541007
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1896
Total: 1907

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM