It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: SSN  (Read 10529 times)

Offline START2

SSN
« on: October 06, 2005, 05:37:08 AM »
Hello all,

We are finished with the honeymoon trips and today is a day off so we thought we'd go and apply for Val's ssn. I thought I'd check here before we go if there's anyone here that's some experience doing this recently. I think we'll need her passport with stamp, and birth certificate. Does that have to be translated?  Is there anything else we'll need?  I'm from a small town and I don't know how much experience they have here with this? Will I need to know any info to help them do their job?  Any suggestions asap would help.

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: No Selection
SSN
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 05:54:27 AM »
You'll need your certified (with the county/city/state stamp on it) copy of your marriage license.

Ken
"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
SSN
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 05:55:35 AM »
And:

Big Congradulations and Best Wishes on your Wedding!!! :D

Ken
"Marriage is that relation between man and woman in which the independence is equal, the dependence mutual, and the obligation reciprocal."
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline Son of Clyde

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
SSN
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 10:46:18 AM »
Congratulations and make sure you have waited 4 weeks to allow her name to be on the database between Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and SSA. Please note: There is a one letter discrepancy allowed for her last name. I had this problem and was told to go back to DHS to correct her name. DHS told me to go to the airport to have it changed. In actuality SSA has a form that can be sent to DHS advising them of the discrepancy and need to correct her name.

Offline Son of Clyde

SSN
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 10:51:09 AM »
Start2, I was going to add that you should expect incompetence from SSA but some people get good service the first time. I hope you will be one of them.

Offline PeeWee

SSN
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2005, 07:17:30 PM »
[user=130]Son of Clyde[/user] wrote:
Start2, I was going to add that you should expect incompetence from SSA but some people get good service the first time. I hope you will be one of them.

Incompeteence? This is the US Government that you are referrign to?

Clyde...by the way I think about you sometimes during my day. I hope that your future will be both happy and successful. I like to see your posts because you seem so open and honest in your approach.

Regarding the SS#. larrisa applied for one when she was here and never recevied it. I asked the local Ss incompetent about it to which they replied, "have her come back and we'll give her another one." I have no idea who has her original. It's somewhere out there secure in the hands of an identity thief, I bet.

PeeWee

« Last Edit: October 06, 2005, 07:19:00 PM by PeeWee »

Offline jb

• Trips: > 10
SSN
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2005, 07:25:50 AM »
As far as I remember, (it's been awhile), the required paperwork is: marriage license, passport w/visa, and EAD.

If you have these things, you will have no trouble.

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
SSN
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2005, 08:11:44 AM »
Quote from: jb
As far as I remember, (it's been awhile), the required paperwork is: marriage license, passport w/visa, and EAD.

If you have these things, you will have no trouble.

jb,

We didn't need the EAD. The SSN they gave Elena came with a notation on it about "Not authorized for work without employeement authorization". We got that a couple of month ago. Marriage license and passport with the visa/stamp in it were all they required of us.

Ken
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Offline Turboguy

SSN
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2005, 10:19:59 AM »
We applied a few weeks ago and all we needed was the passport with visa.   Of course we have not recieved it yet so perhaps someday we will get a letter asking for something else instead of the card.

Offline Son of Clyde

SSN
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2005, 10:56:47 AM »
Turbo, We filed for her SSN 3 weeks ago today and still nothing has arrived.

I think it may take more time as the claims rep indicated. She was saying it could take 5 - 8 weeks.

Offline PeeWee

SSN
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2005, 01:13:28 PM »
Turbo, We filed for her SSN 3 weeks ago today and still nothing has arrived.

I think it may take more time as the claims rep indicated. She was saying it could take 5 - 8 weeks.

I recall the SS guy told me that the USPS letter carriers are told not to put an SS card into a mail box unless the card holders name is on the letter box. I put larrisa's name on the box but we are now entering the 4th month since she applied and I have  not seen a card in our mail box. I think, in her case, it is MIA.

PeeWee

Offline Voyageur

SSN
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2005, 06:21:07 AM »
We applied for my wife's Social Security Card right away - it took about 2.5 weeks for her to get it. Her name was not on the mailbox, either.:)

Thursday, we applied for her new Social Security Card, showing her new name. All we needed was a certified copy of our marriage certificate, her passport and her old card, which we reluctantly handed over. The clerk said it would take about 2 weeks for her new card to arrive.

Offline PeeWee

SSN
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2005, 07:40:52 PM »
Quote from: Voyageur
We applied for my wife's Social Security Card right away - it took about 2.5 weeks for her to get it. Her name was not on the mailbox, either.:)

Thursday, we applied for her new Social Security Card, showing her new name. All we needed was a certified copy of our marriage certificate, her passport and her old card, which we reluctantly handed over. The clerk said it would take about 2 weeks for her new card to arrive.

I asked my letter carrier about the name on the mail box. She told me that they were instructed not to put SS cards into boxes that did not have the corresponding names. But, she said, she didn't pay any attention to it and puts the cards into the boxes with or without names. And so it is with our government's finest.

Also, I'd imagine that if a person is not married then some other form of document, other than a marriage certificate, is acceptable for the SS card.  Probably a passport and visa.

PeeWee

Offline ConnerVT

SSN
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2005, 12:58:22 AM »
Quote from: PeeWee
Also, I'd imagine that if a person is not married then some other form of document, other than a marriage certificate, is acceptable for the SS card.  Probably a passport and visa. 

Again, marriage really has nothing to do with a person's eligibility to receive a SS card.  It is issued on the basis of either 1)The person is eligible to work in the US, or 2)The person is eligible to receive SS benefits (ie. Disability, educational, etc from another eligible person).

How else would those people who arrive on non-marriage based visas ever get a SS#?

Technically, those who arrive on a K-1 have 90 days from entry to apply for a SS#.  I know various posts have been thrown into the mix, speaking of SS office memos and rules allowing those K-1 who have married or do not have an EAD stamp on their I-90 to get a SS#.  But the way Homeland Security keeps making everyone change their rules, I still feel going with the clearest, most straightforward situation possible when making an application is always your best strategy.

Offline Sivrug

SSN
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2005, 03:54:09 AM »
I guess that I am lucky living in S. Tex. We never had any problems with receiving SS cards. Two days after Olga arrived we went in to apply for SSN and was told to wait another week for her to be entered into the system. A week later with passport with visa we applied. Ten days later the card was delivered to our unnamed mailbox. No problem. After we were married we applied again with marriage license, passport with visa and was issued another card in the ten day time frame. After AOS we applied again and everything was smooth and Olga received a new card with out the "not authorized to work" removed.

IMO, I think if you go in to this process expecting incompetence you will will receive this kind of service. This is with all govermental agencies, be firm, know your stuff, and kiss their @'s a little. This has worked with all the agencies I have dealt with.

Offline Son of Clyde

SSN
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2005, 11:31:10 AM »
I received so much bad information from SSA I blame them for the delay.

It has been over 3 weeks and we are still waiting and it has been about 8 weeks since I first went to the SSA office.

I went to the SSA office a week or two after they arrived.

Offline PeeWee

SSN
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2005, 07:44:55 PM »
I received so much bad information from SSA I blame them for the delay.

It has been over 3 weeks and we are still waiting and it has been about 8 weeks since I first went to the SSA office.

I went to the SSA office a week or two after they arrived.

I will be interested in knowing when the ss card finally does arrive, Clyde. Larrisa's card has not arrived for over 3 months now. I know it is MIA. How could it take that long?

PeeWee

Offline Son of Clyde

SSN
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2005, 03:05:44 AM »
PeeWee,

You would be surprised at how high they will jump if you get your Congress person involved. Don't tell them how you got the information but I guarantee you will have a response very quick. SSA does not want to be embarrassed by bad press, so when Congress gets involved SSA gets serious.

Offline START2

SSN
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2005, 08:38:30 AM »
It's good to be home. Last time I wrote we were on our way to the SSA office. Had a touch of bronchitis and the next day turned to pneumonia. Several days in the hospital and O2 and I'm back to normal again. That's a first for me. Never felt so tired and weak in my life. Anyway, the visit to the local SSA went as expected. They didn't have a clue what to do. The first person I talked to tried a few things on her computer and said they don't have what she needs in the system. I asked if her puter was tied into the rest of the SS system. She said yes, then I said yes dear, you have the proper info. I asked to see her supervisor and as it turns out, they never did this before. So an hour later I believe we got filed what needed to be filed. They took copies of marriage cert. , I94  card, Val's passport and something else we brought along. Were told we should hear something in a few weeks, so we'll see. Now we'll start getting all our other docs together and file those. Thanks for all the info and experiences guys. Who ever thinks this stuff gets easier once your fiancee is here, is sadly mistaken. The documents keep piling up. Val tells me she's glad I know what I'm doing!!!  Yeah ,right. @#$%$#$@. she tends to be a worrier, so I say nothing about how much I don't know.

Clyde, happy to hear you received notice. Congrats. I may need some info from you since you seem to be the most recent in filing these docs. I'll get in touch soon if you don't mind.

Offline Son of Clyde

SSN
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2005, 02:57:22 AM »
Lets see if the card arrives because my name is not on the mailbox.

I think this is a stupid rule but I can see it is a precaution against theft.

BTW, I spoke to the SSA office and the card is due on Friday. Lets see how timely it arrives if it arrives at all in my unmarked mailbox.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 02:58:00 AM by Son of Clyde »

Offline Son of Clyde

SSN
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2005, 02:34:49 AM »
She received her SSN on Saturday, October 22. Took about 5 weeks.

Offline catzenmouse

• Victory Park - Omsk
SSN
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2005, 03:08:17 AM »
She received her SSN on Saturday, October 22. Took about 5 weeks.

Hurray! 1 hurdle down, a dozen more to go...;)

Ken
-- Louis K. Anspacher

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
SSN
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2021, 09:59:57 AM »
Any suggestions asap would help.

I don't remember the exact details but we started out with a taxpayer identification
number (TIN) which we had to drive 4-5 hours each way to get from the IRS.

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: SSN
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2021, 10:08:41 AM »
Lucky you got back to him asap Bill, it's only been about 16 years. He's fortunate not to be waiting decades for that timely info. I do hope these posters are still with us to benefit from such advice ;)
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
SSN
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2021, 11:30:01 AM »
Lucky you got back to him asap Bill, it's only been about 16 years. He's fortunate not to be waiting decades for that timely info. I do hope these posters are still with us to benefit from such advice ;)

It's one of the first things you have to deal with or more accurately deal without
when your FSUW arrives in the USA. So I revived the thread.

Wells Fargo was more than happy to open an account for her without a SSN OR a
TIN. When she went back to Russia I could deposit money in her account and she
could use it for purchases in the FSU.

There were a multitude of things that she needed money for including translations,
certified copies, apostille's, and various other things. 

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541008
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1877
Total: 1888

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM