It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Sochi - Summer is coming  (Read 4676 times)

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Sochi - Summer is coming
« on: May 19, 2016, 12:43:35 AM »
After May 9th's Victory Parade and yacht racing, what other delights awaited ?

Can you imagine - picking Tea ?  Sochi's south facing slopes have the northern most tea plantations and I was invited to get up v.early to pick tea.

This was an abandoned plantation - the land is up for sale - not sold - and the ferns will soon out grow the tea bushes.

A 35 minutes drive north - past The President's Summer Residence and turn right, inland - up into the foot hills of the Caucasus Mountains .

The technique - apparently - is to  pick only the top two/ three leaves - below the split.

Olga and Andrei picked far more tea, than I - I filmed the view and took in the sound of cuckoos, sheep, baying horses, and interspersed silence.

The video pans from Dagomys - the Black Sea resort - southwards , then east to the Caucasus Mountains

Andrei dries the tea leaves overnight in a drier and next day - I had my very own tea to take by to the UK.

Some time ago, I was interviewed on the local news by Rossiya - one of the state channels..it was about international language day... I was filmed at a local school where I've been a guest native speaker.

That day had long passed - I thought my 15 minutes of fame had gone...then the phone started ringing on Monday evening..''Sveta, your Mark is on our TV news..''

I was now part of an article on 'foreigners who live in Sochi' and appeared in the headlines and for a few seconds - the part when I say I am impressed that the streets are kept clean :chuckle:

58 seconds and 9 mins 2 secs

On Monday, I booked my flight back - normally I like to go via Istanbul - much more direct - but this flight has gone from 2 times a day - to two times a week - I picked up a one way for 140 quid - with 3Okg luggage allowance, a decent meal - with proper knives and forks AND a decent plane - on the Heathrow leg -with USB charging for the phone and in-flight movies. Turkish are doing one-ways for 50 USD to London, from Istanbul  :chuckle:

After an hour or so scanning the best deals on Kayak or Skyscanner and booking, I  headed to the beach - to find Adonis personified - a long haired, tanned, micro-g-string swimming trunks - guy - lying next to SC and her mates... I felt OLD and 'FAT' ... and approached with a friendly smile. Turns out he was a stripper from Volgograd and was on  a weeks break. He was offering 'professional massages' ... handing out his business card - but made his excuses when I arrived. Russian men are direct in their approaches - they put their towels right next to ladies they are interested in - I could never chat a lady up on a beach ... :chuckle:

When 5 o'clock came, it was announced we were going to a beer festival in a local hotel - 100 Roubles entry fee and 50 Roubles per half litre...sounded too good to be true.

We arrived close to closing time - so no-one took our 100 Roubles and Beer was flowing - literally freely. Luda, a lady from Belarus - told each and every one of the stands that I was 'in' Beer - an important business guest from Ireland - Luda can blag - and I was offered all sorts of delights - many of which I declined - as one beer was 24 percent and I could swiftly feel it's effects.

I promised to return the next day - and I did. Ekaterina - wanted to practice her English and saw I was rebuffing models in short shorts and boob tube tops and high heels - stating, ''I cannot speak Russian'' - as they tried to entice me to their stand.

Ekaterina was wearing a tight -fitting evening dress and I was lead like the prize bull to her stand - where I was plied with the beers and snacks they make. Remember this is 10.30 am and I get drunk on 2 pints, so I discreetly didn't finish my drinks. Their live beers were great. I brought a bottle of their live beer back home  - which Sveta downed and pronounced tasty - she 'doesn't drink'  - and I'm bringing home the 24 percent chocolate beer - for a rainy day. 

I went to the top of the hotel to get some shots of Sochi on a horrible day and was accompanied by the two models I filmed   - part of the way up to the roof-top They took selfies with the funny Irish guy and his blue glasses and I asked if I could post their video to show how 'interesting' Russia beer could be  :biggrin: 

The beer show models - cannot get preview to load ..

http://youtu.be/8xa3g-5Lc5k?t=12

View from the roof top

In the evening, I went to see a film in English - with Russian subtitles - every Wednesday evening the local imax cinema runs a movie in English. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3530978/ with Jeremy Irons and Olga Kurilenko - it has a different title in Russian - sorry I can't remember.

I have always thought her acting was wooden - but in this - wow... 40 percent of the 'English Club' group that I went with thought she was 'poor' and the film 'silly'  - I recommend it - if you are the sort that isn't afraid to admit they like romance stories. It was filmed in York, Edinburgh and the Italian lakes.

Coming back, we experienced a long delay - we remarked that there were Police every 100m - part of the 'fun' of Sochi living - in Summer - this becomes Moscow - the capital of Russia - and roads are often closed for special convoys - 'spez proyest' - leaders of nations visiting the President, etc., We cannot sail for three days - 'security'.. no unauthorised craft allowed.

God, I'm going to miss SC and the action..
« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 12:53:03 AM by msmobyone »
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline msmobyone

Re: Sochi - Summer is coming - who's Yacht
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 02:13:24 AM »
I adore walking in the Marina and have always wondered about all the yachts registered in the British protectorate Cayman Islands - famous for it's offshore companies

One in particular - Graceful - the biggest is in a private area

http://www.superyachtfan.com/superyacht/superyacht_graceful.html

She, is not Russian Registered...  and is most defo to be found in Sochi

Then there's another smaller gin palace - that the locals say is Medvedev's

If it is 'his' ..it is white and registered in...The Cayman islands..

http://www.luxuo.com/yachting/russian-president-medvedev-sirius-superyacht.html

Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
Re: Sochi - Summer is coming
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 10:12:55 AM »

Have you met any Russians that were hostile to you after they learned you're a citizen of the "enemy" of the state?
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 10:36:51 AM »
Hi Billy

Not this trip.

I had a couple of drunks in a bar suggest I was an American Spy a few trips ago. I joked to the other folks in the bar that I was actually an Irish spy checking to see if Russian beer was any good and the owner told 'em to pipe down or clear off as they were bad for biz

SC has introduced me to lots of friendly people.

Folks here don't see too many western tourists and the brighter folk like to practice their English.

At the minute Sochi is hosting a summit with ASEAN nations,Thailand, Singapore, etc., and the big cheese is here.

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 03:27:58 PM »
Have you met any Russians that were hostile to you after they learned you're a citizen of the "enemy" of the state?

after more than 1 month, I was still looking for any. They must be hiding I guess!!!
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline msmobyone

Re: Sochi - Summer is coming - who's Yacht
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 09:11:54 AM »

Then there's another smaller gin palace - that the locals say is Medvedev's

If it is 'his' ..it is white and registered in...The Cayman islands..

http://www.luxuo.com/yachting/russian-president-medvedev-sirius-superyacht.html

update - correction

This IS the Presidential Yacht - registered in the Russia

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 05:41:55 PM »
Looks just a bit different from anything used by Peter the Great!  :devil:

Probably costs the same to run, though - 40,000 peasants per year.  :crackwhip:

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541387
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 3932
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 2536
Total: 2546

+-Recent Posts

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine by krimster2
Today at 07:36:35 AM

Re: Navigating the longest story ever told by Stirlitz
Today at 02:18:56 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Stirlitz
Today at 02:12:24 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Trenchcoat
Today at 01:56:55 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:07:31 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 11:31:49 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Manny
Yesterday at 11:07:15 AM

Re: international travel by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:50:04 AM

Re: international travel by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 08:20:37 AM

Re: Trippin........... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 08:06:00 AM