It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Europe in the News  (Read 58052 times)

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Europe in the News
« on: January 09, 2017, 02:26:18 PM »
I formally request that the topic "The End of Europe" be closed and locked.
The subject title is too gloomy and undesirable.

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=21145.0

I do anticipate a radical transformation of western Europe in the near future.

Paul Krugman posted an interesting note a few weeks ago that deserves a lot more attention. He shows this graph of real GDP per working age adult for the U.S. and Europe, and notes that the U.S. and European recoveries from the great recession were similar at first by this measure (that is, adjusting for population growth):

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mark-weisbrot/the-high-cost-of-transfor_b_10339366.html
 The High Cost of Transforming Europe: Why Europe Stumbled   06/07/2016 01:27 pm ET |  Updated Jun 08, 2016 

~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Online krimster2

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
Europe in the News
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 05:30:47 PM »
will that be, "the end of the end...", or the beginning of something else? us trolls gotta know in advance and earn our meager troll salaries

Offline Larry1

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
Europe in the News
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 05:54:14 PM »
Czech government tells its citizens how to fight terrorists: Shoot them yourselves

A couple of months ago, Czech President Milos Zeman made an unusual request: He urged citizens to arm themselves against a possible "super-Holocaust" carried out by Muslim terrorists.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2017/01/06/czech-government-tells-its-citizens-how-to-fight-terrorists-shoot-them-yourselves/?postshare=9101483878416698&tid=ss_fb&utm_term=.26308f0d236a

Offline tfcrew

Europe in the News
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 07:55:09 PM »
The relationship between Poland and Ukraine.

Wife said that today...some Polish people told her that Ukraine is now nothing but gangsters.
How do they know? Beats me.
So anyway I looked up the history.....

Has Ukraine ever had any good leadership?

http://www.ucm.es/data/cont/media/www/pag-78913/UNISCIDP40-4AndrzejSzeptycki.pdf
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Europe in the News
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 08:07:47 PM »
Western Ukraine had good leadership under the Austrian-Hungarian Empire, before they handed de facto rule to the Poles.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline tfcrew

Europe in the News
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 08:25:59 PM »
   Look At Germany's Tribute To The Victims of Yesterday's Terrorist Attack in Israel
On Sunday, four Israelis were killed when a truck driven by a jihadist plowed into a crowd of soldiers. On Monday, Berlin's Brandenburg Gate featured a projection of the Israeli flag as a show of solidarity.
http://rznhhawpibbipwahhnzr.wallstreetbusinessnetwork.com/tipsheet/christinerousselle/2017/01/09/wow-look-at-germanys-tribute-to-the-victims-of-yesterdays-terrorist-attack-in-israel-n2269009

Offline tfcrew

Europe in the News
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 07:42:12 PM »
Brexit ruling: Article 50 vote must go before Parliament, Supreme Court judges rule
Britain's top judges today crushed Theresa May’s bid to fire the starting gun for Britain to quit the EU without a new law passed by Parliament.
In a historic judgment, the Supreme Court rejected her argument that royal prerogative powers could be used to trigger Article 50 to start the two-year process to split from the European Union.
The ruling, by eight to three, plunged the Prime Minister into battle against MPs and peers seeking to shackle her over the Brexit deal to be agreed with other EU nations.
The verdict is a humiliating blow to the Government, especially to Leave ministers who had championed the role of Parliament during the EU referendum campaign yet argued that it did not need to be given a say over Article 50.
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-ruling-article-50-vote-must-go-before-parliament-supreme-court-judges-rule-a3447716.html

& here I thought the citizenry had already voted to get out :popcorn:

Offline msmob

• Trips: > 10
Europe in the News
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 01:06:20 AM »
tfcrew

Seeing as you posted the link - why didn't you read the basis of the legal case ?

Yes, 'we' voted to leave the EU...

...But..

The Court case was to ensure the govt couldn't implement Article - without agreeing a path with Parliament ..They did not have the right to claim 'Royal Prerogative'

Offline tfcrew

Europe in the News
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2017, 10:52:48 AM »
tfcrew

Seeing as you posted the link - why didn't you read the basis of the legal case ?

Yes, 'we' voted to leave the EU...

...But..

The Court case was to ensure the govt couldn't implement Article - without agreeing a path with Parliament ..They did not have the right to claim 'Royal Prerogative'

Apparently ...'Royal Prerogative' is a British thing so I have no warranted understanding of this.
From the article...
  Parliament alone is sovereign.

In the USA the people alone is sovereign ;)

We do have people like this Gina Miller person....ie Chas Schumer, Nancy Pelosi , Liz Warren, Gloria Steinem and such [won't mention a former dem pres candidate]

My wife called these people Marxist-Leninists last night but I said that it isn't right to insult Karl Marx and Vlad Lenin like that.

Offline msmob

Europe in the News
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2017, 12:41:18 PM »
Tfcrew

I can't comment on your good lady as you are only 'quoting her' ,,but if you both believe the above - then, it's a  ''British thing so I have no warranted understanding of this." applies..  You are posting DAFT ..

Strangely, enough we have a Canadian member who has a better grasp of the legal case .. and she isn't Brass ;)

Offline msmob

Europe in the News
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 12:16:52 AM »
Update

Someone who wishes to b nameless - for now pointed out that my explanation re Article 50 was incorrect

''I believe you misinterpreted the High Court's Brexit decision.

As part of the EU, the UK is bound by EU treaties.  These are in addition to laws of the UK, but generally grant UK citizens additional rights.  They can, to some extent, be ameliorated by the UK Parliament if it so chooses, even in the absence of Brexit.  There are broadly three categories of legal rights in the UK, as affected by EU laws (and identified by the Court):

1. Rights capable of replication in UK law;
2. Rights derived by UK citizens from EU law in other member states; and
3. Rights of participation in EU institutions that could not be replicated in UK law.

On a Brexit, EU laws will no longer apply in the UK.

The Conservative government argued that it did not have to introduce legislation in Parliament before commencing negotiation son Brexit, because it was invoking Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, and it is the prerogative of the Crown to withdraw from treaties.  In Britain and most other commonwealth countries, the prerogative of the Crown means the executive branch (cabinet, including the Prime Minister) can do certain things without prior parliamentary legislation.  However, in the UK, it is well established in law that ministers cannot make laws."

I hope this person will not remain an infrequent observer ..

Offline tfcrew

Europe in the News
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 05:37:26 PM »
 14 detained in Islamist-linked raids in Austrian cities of Vienna & Graz Published time: 26 Jan, 2017 12:20Edited time: 26 Jan, 2017 16:01

Austrian police have arrested 14 people in anti-terrorist raids conducted in Vienna and Graz, the country’s APA news agency reports, citing officials. Police and units from the Office for Protection of the Constitution carried out multiple anti-terrorist raids targeting “extreme Salafists,” starting Thursday morning.

© Leonhard Foeger

Teen suspected of plotting attack in Vienna says he built ‘test bomb’ 

The raids were conducted “in the context of pending investigations concerning suspected participation in a terrorist organization [Islamic State/IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL],” APA (Austria Presse Agentur) news agency writes, citing officials.
Among the detained are three Austrians with a migration background, two persons from Bosnia, one Syrian, a Bulgarian and a Macedonian, APA writes, citing the Prosecutor’s Office. The men are all between 21 and 49 years old, with four of them detained in Vienna and four in Graz.
In addition to the eight arrests, police apprehended three more men from the former Yugoslavia in Graz. According to the Kurier news outlet, the three men allegedly tried to establish a radical Islamist organization and to recruit members for the group.

http://www.rt.com/news/375149-eight-detained-austria-isis-raids/

Offline tfcrew

Europe in the News
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 09:36:42 AM »
The attacker was wearing two backpacks and may have had a second weapon, Cadot said. He was seriously injured by a bullet to the stomach. One soldier was slightly injured on the scalp.No explosives were found in the two backpacks of the man, who was conscious when he was taken into custody, Cadot said.The attacker has been taken to a Paris hospital for treatment, CNN's French affiliate BFM-TV reported. He was not carrying identity documents and was not in a fit state to be questioned, it said.Another person was also arrested, the French Interior Ministry said, although it was not immediately clear whether he or she was connected to the attack.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/03/europe/france-paris-louvre-incident/

Offline msmob

Europe in the News
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 10:34:42 AM »
tfcrew
If I started a thread on violent death in the USA v Europe - who would be posting more often ?

Offline tfcrew

Europe in the News
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 12:48:03 PM »
tfcrew
If I started a thread on violent death in the USA v Europe - who would be posting more often ?

There is/was already a thread.. it was locked [for some reason]
Another take on the gun violence in America

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=19723.0

Offline tfcrew

Europe in the News
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 06:03:01 PM »
I just saw a report on this.................

Art-loving mafia mobster's collection in Italy show

The prized art collection of a mafia boss, confiscated by Italian police, has gone on show in Calabria in an exhibition billed as a "victory of the state" over organised crime.
Two paintings by Spanish great Salvador Dali feature in the collection of 125 works seized from mob businessman Gioacchino Campolo, dubbed the "King of Videopoker" after he built up a vast fortune by running tampered slot machines.
"Today we can say the state has won," Eduardo Lamberti Castronuovo, culture and legality assessor in Reggio Calabria, told AFP.
http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/world/art-loving-mafia-mobster-s-collection-in-italy-show/article/464991

Offline msmob

Europe in the News
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2017, 12:05:05 AM »
tfcrew

There's a good chap..Please don't deflect.

I couldn't keep up, as the violent deaths are MUCH greater in the US

Just hoping for perspective:)

Offline tfcrew

Europe in the News
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2017, 01:39:22 AM »
OK start a thread only ....Jihdi attacks in America [being Islamic infiltrators]

....not home grown violence.

And I will, as I have done, report only those cases in Europe.

Offline msmob

Europe in the News
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2017, 09:16:01 AM »
OK start a thread only ....Jihdi attacks in America [being Islamic infiltrators]

....not home grown violence.

And I will, as I have done, report only those cases in Europe.

Nah, I'll just post the violent murders your side of the pond v mine and folks can judge how DAFT your 'European promotional' portrayals are..

''The United States has about six violent deaths per 100,000 residents. None of the 16 other countries included in the review came anywhere close to that ratio. Finland was closest to the U.S. ranking with slightly more than two violent deaths per 100,000 residents.''

''Homicide, they noted, is the second leading cause of death among adolescents and young adults aged 15-24. The large majority of those homicides involve firearms.''

Would these stats make me decide not to bring the kids to Disneyworld? - no..   they didn't..

Some more perspective..

Welcome to Europe ...  it's safer than home :))

Offline tfcrew

Europe in the News
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2017, 12:26:02 PM »

Nah, I'll just post the violent murders your side of the pond v mine 

You can do that.
However ...the Jihadi stuff seems to be a paramount problem as Machete Muhammed shuts down
Paris' museum is news.
Black thug wars in Chicago??........... ehhh -no one seems to care.

Offline msmob

Europe in the News
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2017, 01:34:41 PM »
You can do that.
However ...the Jihadi stuff seems to be a paramount problem as Machete Muhammed shuts down
Paris' museum is news.
Black thug wars in Chicago??........... ehhh -no one seems to care.

1/ Was the Louvre open, today ?  ..

2/ How many white wack-jobs have gone on shooting sprees in schools / colleges ?

None of them are 'no-go' areas ...  There's no accounting for wack-jobs

Offline tfcrew

Europe in the News
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2017, 01:52:33 PM »
Q1/ Was the Louvre open, today ?  ..
A/ I don't know. I didn't go.

Q2/ How many white wack-jobs have gone on shooting sprees in schools / colleges ?
A/ The Virginia Tech massacre was an Asian guy. [sad]
Don't forget churches, military bases, nightclubs and municipal buildings.
Not all wack-jobs are shooting guns...[yet]
But so far, smashing school property, starting fires and screaming.

Offline msmob

Europe in the News
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2017, 02:02:39 PM »
http://www.9news.com.au/world/2017/02/03/20/36/paris-louvre-museum-evacuated-after-soldier-reportedly-opens-fire-on-suspected-knife-attacker

YES, the Louvre was open again - NOT - a 'no-go' area ...  Just like the Schools / Colleges in the USA that have been the subject of 'native' - white Americans

http://www.inquisitr.com/441261/ten-deadliest-school-massacres-in-united-states-history/

'We' in the UK have had 'wack-job' do this at a school ... Tennis no.1 Andy Murray was at school that day..

The only difference ... Folks had to give up their guns or have 'em locked up at shooting clubs

'interesting' that it was YOU that introduced race into this, tfcrew

Offline tfcrew

Europe in the News
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2017, 02:54:46 PM »

'interesting' that it was YOU that introduced race into this, tfcrew

Why is it 'interesting'?
I believe you mentioned WHITE whack-jobs so what are you...green?

It is a fact here in the USA....

• Data shows that 93 percent of black homicide victims are killed by other blacks. ...
  • According to Riley, "Blacks commit violent crimes at 7 to 10 times the rate that whites do."
More items...7 Statistics You Need To Know About Black-On-Black Crime | Daily Wire

I guess be glad you live in [relatively] crime free Europe.

Offline msmob

Europe in the News
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2017, 02:08:11 AM »
Why is it 'interesting'?
I believe you mentioned WHITE whack-jobs so what are you...green?

Again, YOU introduced race into the equation - my riposte was to belittle your racist one ..

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 1964
Total: 1973

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM