It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: The things we do for love  (Read 9542 times)

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
The things we do for love
« on: May 05, 2019, 06:20:49 AM »
I was supposed to leave Georgia today, return to the Uk and fly out at the end of nest week to kick of starting our wedding plans in Cyprus

I had told SC " No point to come to Tbilisi, as we'll be working"..

As it is the May day holidays flights are crazy - nearly 10 times the normal price

SC found 1 place on a sleeper train from Sochi to Vladikavkaz and told me she was coming last night..!

She has just crossed into Georgia on a mini bus

It rained heavily here which means LOTS of snow in the mountains..((

This is what awaits her - taken 40 mins ago..  source http://vk.com/vrlars - a VK site that deals with conditions updates

I wonder when she'll get here -if ever

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 01:57:40 PM »
Wishing SC a safe journey.

This post was composed without the aid of google.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline msmob

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 04:13:00 AM »
Thank you, Boethius

I started to panic after waiting four hours past my estimated ETA.

I had sent sms to her RU mobile, to buy a Georgian sim at the border .

I had NO  idea where to wait for her bus/ Mini van/ taxi.

A lovely lass, Irina who I work with at the Soch F1 sorted the transport for us as I met her off yhe train from Baku, Azerbaijain...She was going back the opposite way...So we had breakfast together, at a Restaurant that Maxx showed me...The one where his starter motor gave up((

Then I took her to the bus station and she showed me (roughly) where Sveta would arrive in c. 5 hours..well 9 hours as it turned out ((

I wish to thank Maxx for his concern.

I will post some videos of her journey, later.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 04:39:23 AM by msmob »

Offline Boethius

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2019, 08:00:01 AM »
Happy she made it!  Nice to know the more things change, the more they stay the same, in terms of travel efficiency. :)

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline msmob

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2019, 09:17:05 PM »
When SC finally arrived, she had been 'off air' for nearly 4 more hours than I thought..

She was exhausted and our apartment was not available until the next day so I had booked a hotel. The journey there gave SC to see the suburbs of Tbilisi and the impression was not favourable...))

Luckily, the hotel was great and we took a taxi to the centre for her to eat ( I had eaten while bored waiting). I used the Bolt (gasify) app and a 25 minute journey cost 3 USD in a Prius imported from the US.

On seeing the centre, SC changed her mind and we had an impromptu wine tasting session at mid night...We went to the restaurant Maxx had introuduced me to..it works 24/7..and the Russian speaking chef made her bespoke rabbit food.

We got home at 0230...and crashed..

I took this photo of SC as she stirred..I could not believe she was really there))

We went to the boys apartment .dumped off the bags and went to the Central market to buy the grass SC eats copious amounts of.

When we returned,  the 2nd apartment was ready and SC prepared a salad and we went to bed v.early.

Yesterday, I woke up first, went to the bakery and bought the boys breakfast and moved my gear next door. Iwanted (needed ) a haircut and while it was being done, Svetlana noticed a beauty Salon at the rear...

My haircut had cost 6 Lari.. approx $2 ..that included extraneous removal of ear hair and eye brow trimming

We asked how much it would be for a manicure and pedicure plus a shellac treatment...$20...

I was served coffee and cakes while SC was pampered.

The salon staff were so friendly and we share music to listen to ....If you bring your lady to Tbilisi I guarantee she will appreciate the care.)

Offline Maxx2

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2019, 10:39:59 PM »
Too bad you have to leave so soon. Really interesting things to see there...

Interesting about the culture shock of seeing the less affluent suburbs. I've been here so long I don't notice such things like that anymore. Well, almost don't notice the poverty. When you come from a Western country it jumps out at you. I used to call it "the comparison game." Now I look for the touches of beauty and not the ugly. 

Offline msmob

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2019, 11:02:48 PM »
Hi Maxx,

It was SC who didn't like  some aspects of the suburbs and she has lived in Uzbekistan and Tajikistan...

Go figure ))

Do not worry, she wants to see Batumii

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 11:49:01 PM »
Hi Maxx,

It was SC who didn't like  some aspects of the suburbs and she has lived in Uzbekistan and Tajikistan...

Go figure ))

Do not worry, she wants to see Batumii

I figured it was SC and not you. I did seem puzzling to me as I know Sochi must have some run down areas. Georgia I think is dryer and in the winter everything in the country and outskirts of the city is brown. Not so pretty just brown. You remember by the Jarvi Monastery? But that should have changed by now. Batumi is much more greener. It is the most beautiful city I've ever lived in. It's been a while since I lived in or visited California (1980) to do a comparison with San Diego or Honolulu. There is a fair amount of abandoned Soviet era buildings. People don't mind having their yards cluttered with junk or cars that will never run again.

Some small villages are interesting to me. Some of them are thousands of years old. Often you can look up on the nearby hill and see an abandoned fortress or caves dug out of the face of a cliff. I wonder what drama happened there? I wonder what the mayors are like? What would people think of an American expat and an Irishman with his Russian wife? Would we get invited to supper toasted with Georgian wine, cha cha? At Joggo's 60th birthday party I brought a bottle of Jack Daniels. It was much appreciated.

One thing I noticed about the small villages east of Tbilisi. If it is not a main route the road is good until it reaches the beginning of the town. Through the town the road is hell full of pot holes and heaved up asphalt. Obviously the town's tax base has to pay for the road going through their town. The road entering and leaving the town is nice as the Georgian national government pays for those.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2019, 11:54:48 PM »
I was going to ask. How much did the hotel room cost? I've gotten them for about $35 which I think is rather high. In America a motel like a Super 8 goes for about $70 and night. In the big city like Chicago, $125. So $35 IMO is not such a good deal.

Offline msmob

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2019, 12:53:52 AM »
Hotel Imperial via booking.com

£17..approx 21 USD ...

Incredible value for a king size bed and a single bed with en suite.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2019, 02:30:36 AM »
I'll make sure to remember the hotel. I'll post it on my thread so it won't get lost. I've stayed at two small so so places and they cost me per night $35 each.

Offline John Gaunt

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2019, 11:55:35 AM »
I am thinking of a trip to Tbilisi in the summer. Looking at hotels, which 5* hotel would you recommend! Maxx? The Marriott in Mtatsminda looks quite nice.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2019, 01:41:42 PM »
Looking at hotels, which 5* hotel would you recommend! Maxx? The Marriott in Mtatsminda looks quite nice.
You don't have a true Ukrainian mindset. :D

Offline John Gaunt

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2019, 01:48:45 PM »
You don't have a true Ukrainian mindset. :D

True. I leave that to the wife.😊

Offline Boethius

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2019, 01:50:52 PM »
Then don't tell her you want to pay over $200 a night for a hotel when far less expensive, and perfectly acceptable, options are available. 

Offline John Gaunt

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2019, 02:03:20 PM »
Then don't tell her you want to pay over $200 a night for a hotel when far less expensive, and perfectly acceptable, options are available. 

Oh, believe me, I won't.
On the other hand, I like to take her to nice places and pamper her once in a while. She deserves it and I'm not one to penny pinch.

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2019, 02:57:54 PM »
http://tinyurl.com/y2lm7nm8

$60 a night tops for airbnb (nothing but good things to say about them)
for the difference you'd save in a week, you could spend 3 additional days in Istanbul airfare and hotel
and take her shopping in one of the "mega malls" and buy her a small piece of jewelry or clothes or carpet, etc...
and still have deluxe digs in Georgia...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 06:58:23 AM by AnonMod »

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2019, 06:33:49 AM »
What I love about Slavic women they will travel through anything can you imagine the moaning and strop from a British woman

Offline msmob

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2019, 08:26:45 AM »
I left for the UK on Friday and SC - left  with one of my partners, his Bro and Son in his Mini-Van  ( f  you remember he had arrived from Sochi )

They left at  0400 local and got back to Sochi in the early evening  - 995 Km to our place   - door to door - not so much drama with snow and they cleared Georgian formalities in 3 minutes and Russian in 20 minutes !

Now, SC wants to see Batumi - where Maxx2 lives ))

Offline Boethius

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 01:16:02 PM »
What I love about Slavic women they will travel through anything can you imagine the moaning and strop from a British woman

Your comment provest yet again, how little you know about Russia and Ukraine.  FSUW are used to being treated like livestock in "in country" travel.  That's why they (and FSUM) don't complain.

Be grateful your country didn't sink to FSU levels of travel service. 

FTR, Russia has improved some of these services, particularly on trains, but many forms of transportation remain at levels Westerners generally would not tolerate.

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 02:27:21 PM »
Total bull Boethius .  They have a completely different mindset and travel wise are far more adventurous.  In fact in most ways.  I in fact by now have far more experience of English and Slavic women than you.

Offline SteveInBoston

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2019, 05:14:05 PM »
I met a fine few adventurous English women, one who I picked up hitch-hiking in Fort Williams.  I was wearing a see-you-jimmy hat and she still got in.   She had a huge fight with her boyfriend and decided to leave him.  Her boyfriend chased us for about an hour, when she asked for me to pull over because her luggage was still in his car.

I gave them some space, they spoke and made up, and she decide to continue her vacation with him.  Not sure how that went, but I continued on to Edinburgh and had a blast there, before continuing on to Bunol, Spain, for La Tomatina (via the chunnel and several trains).

I met another on the train from Rome to Brindisi.  She and her friends got on the same ferry to Greece.  We shared some great moments.

So far, I think Canadian women are the most adventurous, followed by the Dutch.   Or perhaps vice-versa.

Also, I doubt James has more experience with Slavic women than a person who actually lived in Eastern Europe for several years...

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2019, 09:31:10 PM »
As to roads the UK roads are now in decay and approaching ukranain standards.  Things I never expected to see.  A40 London to Oxford massive cracks and subsidence  so bad that there is grass growing and your vehicle is bucked around.   Trees overhanging the roads to the point it's the cars body work that trims the vegetation.   Road signs covered by vegetation or stolen for scrap metal or fallen over due to rust.  Buckinghamshire berkshire Oxfordshire.  Many people living in over crowded housing 4 to a room while there's a glut of over £400000 houses being built.  Slough the next door town to Windsor castle 1000s of  people living in sheds in people's gardens .

Offline JayH

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2019, 10:08:36 PM »
As to roads the UK roads are now in decay and approaching ukranain standards.

You have made some really stupid comments on the forum -- now this one !
You have spent 2 1/2 minutes in Ukraine  and  seen a tiny % of roads( and actually driven on even less !!) = meaning you really are clueless.
Comparing Ukrainian roads to the UK roads is about = to your comments on women - in generally nearly as clueless as TC !
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline msmob

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2019, 02:05:24 AM »
Anyway..

THIS thread is about a TR between Russia and Georgia...

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541004
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1876
Total: 1887

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM