It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Enjoying Ukraine  (Read 9707 times)

Online krimster2

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Enjoying Ukraine
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2018, 04:54:28 PM »
"Now lets return to our regular scheduled programme of showing how amazing Ukraine and her people are. Enough of politics. "

OK!!!

First up,
In order to join organization "SevDig" must prove courage and loyalty to group by After Dark Black Archeology
after midnight enter crypts of abandoned church shelled by Nazis in WII
some pretty damned major finds!

2nd shot, from when I did my sabbatical in Kyiv, this was the terminus of my walking/jogging route, turn here and head back to my apartment

did extensive "bunker diving" in Crimea with SevDig, including deeper into Fort Stalin than anyone had ever gone before uncovering new information
about the demolition of the fort with the soldiers still inside by the Soviets themselves

was inside a special fallout shelter from the cold war this for all political bosses in Kyiv, it was a small underground city, but now it is rotting away
many bunkers from WWII with unexploded shells, some were enormous!!

« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 05:02:35 PM by krimster2 »

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2018, 06:08:40 PM »
Gorgeous view of Kyiv Skyline, Dnieper River from the Pechersk Lavra Monastery of the caves.

The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2018, 06:10:21 PM »
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 06:12:28 PM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2018, 06:13:07 PM »
Kyiv as seen from the Dnieper River.

The Metro.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 06:17:04 PM by mendeleyev »

Online krimster2

« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2018, 06:38:14 PM »
giant escalator photo?

Offline BdHvA

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2018, 07:12:33 PM »
giant escalator photo?

My guess, Pechers'k or Arsenali station.
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Online krimster2

« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2018, 07:26:19 PM »
Pechers'k

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2018, 09:24:29 PM »

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2018, 09:27:04 PM »
I should have labeled it before -- sorry. Arsenalna station, one of the 3 serving the Pechersk Lavra monastery.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2019, 07:50:43 AM »
For the New Year we were in Zaporozhia (Ukraine) and the Angel Princess was gracious in preparing my favourite dishes: salads Olivier (салат Оливье), Herring Under a Coat (Селёдка под шубой), and traditional borscht (борщ) along with several others. I can genuinely say that she makes the best Olivier, the best Herring salad, and the best borscht on the planet!

Earlier, she had prepared the best cabbage rolls on the planet and it felt like paradise had arrived in my stomach. She is amazing in the kitchen although she has this idea that mayonnaise, literally a food group of its own in these parts, is not good for my diet. But, hey, it's the holidays and very special when the Angel Princess sets aside the "no mayo" ban and delights my taste buds! I do credit her for keeping my blood sugar levels in the 100-110 range consistently, something she monitors frequently.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2019, 07:55:24 AM »
It was very cold in Zaporozhye and daylight averaged only 6 hours per day so when out and about we had to be efficient with our time. There was some snow, but not as much as I had anticipated. Several times the lens on my main camera froze and we would step into a storefront or cafe for a few minutes to warm things up.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2019, 08:08:57 AM »
We took an overnight sleeper train back to Kyiv (Kiev) on 03 January, arriving the morning of the fourth. This time we purchased second class "Kupe" tickets; we each had a lower berth. I will gladly resume first class for just a few dollars more next time as sleeping on an older and slower train with 4 persons per cabin is a struggle. Even so, we enjoyed sharing food and conversation with out cabin mates, a young family that split the top berths with us and the adjacent cabin.

Even the older train wagons typically have electric outlets and charging mobile phones, tablets, and cameras is much easier than in the past. The last photo is of the hot water tank, with free hot water, near the front of each wagon. I make it a point to buy coffee and tea from the attendants, although you could easily make your own, because that is a significant part of their pay. Wagon attendants are paid a low wage, and then make bonuses from sales of tea, coffee, magazines, and tips. If I make my own beverages, then I tip well when leaving. Most travelers don't tip but since I know how little they earn, I feel it my privilege and responsibility.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2019, 08:22:28 AM »
We were back in Kyiv (Kiev) at our apartment for Christmas, which is only 2 minutes stroll south of St Michael's Cathedral and 4 minutes walk north of Maiden (Independence Square). Inside the main train station.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2019, 08:25:18 AM »
One of 2 McDonald's on Maiden ("My Dawn") Plaza/Square.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2019, 08:27:18 AM »
The Motherland Monument. The Angel Princess, most beautiful woman on the planet, does not like to have her photo posted in most places. But if you look carefully at the closed kiosk in the photo, she is to the left and dressed in a black winter coat and fur hood. :-)

Offline msmob

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2019, 08:28:29 AM »
We were back in Kyiv (Kiev) at our apartment for Christmas, which is only 2 minutes stroll south of St Michael's Cathedral and 4 minutes walk north of Maiden (Independence Square). Inside the main train station.

So, you live near O'Brien's ?  ;)

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2019, 08:52:08 AM »
Cool looking bar, but I don't drink so never had reason to enter. Yes, I know exactly where it is.

Offline msmob

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2019, 11:42:11 AM »
Cool looking bar, but I don't drink so never had reason to enter. Yes, I know exactly where it is.

Jez, now Sir, you don't need to drink to enjoy the Craic and music ;)

but it helps

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2019, 12:39:42 PM »
My Angel Princess is all the music that I can handle! :-) (Like smooth jazz with a light dance vibe.)

Offline Jamesukjames

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2019, 12:55:44 PM »
Like the summer photos now I know what it looks like with no snow

Offline ML

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2019, 02:28:55 PM »
For the New Year we were in Zaporozhia (Ukraine) and the Angel Princess was gracious in preparing my favourite dishes: salads Olivier (салат Оливье), Herring Under a Coat (Селёдка под шубой), and traditional borscht (борщ) along with several others. I can genuinely say that she makes the best Olivier, the best Herring salad, and the best borscht on the planet!

Earlier, she had prepared the best cabbage rolls on the planet and it felt like paradise had arrived in my stomach. She is amazing in the kitchen although she has this idea that mayonnaise, literally a food group of its own in these parts, is not good for my diet. But, hey, it's the holidays and very special when the Angel Princess sets aside the "no mayo" ban and delights my taste buds! I do credit her for keeping my blood sugar levels in the 100-110 range consistently, something she monitors frequently.

Well actually my Gal prepares best borscht and Olivier.
I have banned Herring Under a Coat from the house . . . just because it sounds so terrible.
Little to no mayonnaise used in our house also.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2019, 02:32:30 PM »
This was a very special time because on Christmas Eve, 06 January, Ukraine was granted independence in church affairs by the Orthodox Ecumenical Patriarch, free from generations of overbearing Russian domination.

From 05 January when the new Ukrainian Metropolitan, His Beatitude Epifaniy, was received in Saint George's Cathedral, television channels were filled with live coverage from Istanbul for the next two days. We were glued to the screen that morning and later evening as we walked from Maidan ("My-Dawn") Square to our Kyiv apartment it seemed that every store in the underground mall leading to the Metro was tuned to the continuing coverage. Once in our apartment we resumed watching the amazing events.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2019, 03:01:20 PM »
On Christmas Eve, 06 January, we attended several services. The first was a special prayer service at Saint Michael's Cathedral for the granting of independence. In the afternoon we were at one of the Pechersk Lavra Monastery churches operated by the new Ukrainian controlled church.

For the evening service we were fortunate to be at Saint Sophia, just a walk across the plaza.

We were back at Saint Sophia on Christmas day, 07 January, to celebrate the arrival and display of the special "Tomos" document granting Ukraine independence from Russian control.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 05:12:01 PM by mendeleyev »

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2019, 03:07:18 PM »
It has become a tradition for us to ride the Kyiv Funicular on Christmas morning. This has replaced the former tradition of walking on Red Square in Moscow.

We had forgotten about the large crowds coming to St Sophia to see the Tomos (church independence) documents which were being delivered. Wow, what a line but we hung in there, waited, and finally made the brief ride up the hill.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2019, 03:17:13 PM »
Eastern Europeans exchange gifts on the New Year so we attended a morning service at St Michael's Cathedral and then enjoyed the Christmas market covering the large plaza between St Michael and St Sophia.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1882
Total: 1893

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM