It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?  (Read 456005 times)

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Looking at BC's graphs, I kinda have the feeling that we'll have a tail for this trend line.   Whereby we get the disease down to a fraction of its height, but nevertheless not dying out.

Yes, such is termed the endemic rate.

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
It is not the flu...
« Reply #2426 on: April 22, 2020, 01:33:54 PM »
Have we really ‘contained’ it, BC?

Many of these experts seem to believe now that the infection rate is actually more like 5 times on the low side to as much as nearly 10 x what had tested positive so far.

The data tends to say yes as far as the infection goes with one caveat - if testing far exceeds the number of detected cases which may be a problem the US has in general.

If true, then what this means to me is, COVID is not even as deadly as influenza if you consider the majority of the fatalities are mostly with the elderlies plus the comorbidity factor.

Influenza’s mortality, on the other hand, strikes even the healthy young and relatively younger adults. So far, COVID still has not reached the averaged annual fatality rate of influenza despite actually having  vaccines for it.

I would love to be able to agree with you and your sources GQ but don't see the data supporting such.  Too many unknown variables thus far.

Yet, strange behaviors kick in with COVID like people hoarding toilet papers, governments skid to a halt and fathertime believes he was a communist Chinese under Mao Zedong in his previous life!!

Go buy bacon now while you can still get it.

Offline Gator

This may not be the case with Covid.  6 months?  1 year? many years??  We just don't know.

Please read my short post above to BillyB. 

Yes, much is unknown about COVID-19, yet only the most evil scourge would be one that has no acquired immunity.  Such was the case with HIV because it attacked the immune systems T-cells. 

The leading causation of death by COVID-19 is a hyperactive immune system.  However, recovered patients have demonstrated that their immune systems have the capability to rid the body of the virus. Why would that not be retained?   

Offline Gator

Re: It is not the flu...
« Reply #2428 on: April 22, 2020, 01:45:28 PM »
Quote from: BC link=topic=24217.msg533029#msg533029 date=1587587634

[/quote

Bacon and sausage choices at the store were fewer on Monday, with less shelf space.  Chicken too, with a sign "Only two products per customer."

Having seen a modern, mega chicken farm/processor, I have trouble fathoming how there could be a shortage. 

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
Remember Y2K ?
« Reply #2429 on: April 22, 2020, 01:56:34 PM »
First, anyone remember Y2K ?

Second, anyone know why the most dire predictions concerning Y2K did not happen ?

Third, what's the connection with our current situation ?

« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 02:01:30 PM by ML »
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline BC

The leading causation of death by COVID-19 is a hyperactive immune system.  However, recovered patients have demonstrated that their immune systems have the capability to rid the body of the virus. Why would that not be retained?   

There may be some quantitative viral threshold that has to be reached for the immune system to 'remember' this virus.  Do asymptomatic cases acquire immunity? - we simply don't know.

I can imagine the 'hyperactivity' may be caused by the immune system somehow detecting that an unknown invader is present, but confused and fighting 'blind', shooting at everything in sight that seems 'not quite right'.  Our lungs collect a ton of crap during the day, some tolerable some not.

Much of this of course way beyond my pay grade.

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: It is not the flu...
« Reply #2432 on: April 22, 2020, 02:03:13 PM »
The data tends to say yes as far as the infection goes with one caveat - if testing far exceeds the number of detected cases which may be a problem the US has in general.

I would love to be able to agree with you and your sources GQ but don't see the data supporting such.  Too many unknown variables thus far.

So BC, here's the latest

So there apparently was, according to the medical examiner, two prior deaths infection in California before the so-called first casualty in Washington.

There will be a lot more revelations that I feel we'll be fed with sooner than later. I am really beginning to believe, while this should not be taken for granted, this virus was overhyped. Sad day that will be for all us considering the state we all put ourselves in because of it.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 02:29:47 PM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Meanwhile recent news from the UK, Witty reckons at least some social distancing measures will stay in place till Christmas. Matt Handcock thinks he will be able to carry out 100,000 Coronavirus tests daily.

Also we have fortunately not joined any EU Coronavirus scheme :D Turns out we are way ahead of them on the medicine front anyway :)
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline BC

GQ,

Yes as time goes by we will learn more.

A good analogy that makes sense to me is a nuclear reaction.  Maybe earlier the critical mass had not yet reached.  Obviously, at that time we didn't even have the testing capabilities needed to detect it.

Maybe it did come from the US after all....  :devilish:

Offline GQBlues

That would be painful if so. Not because China will be proven right, but because it'll give fathertime more reasons to wish he was Chinese instead....and we'll never really hear the end of it.
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Online krimster2

• He/Him
  • Trips: Resident
Structure and Organization of a Covid-19 Strike Force

Required materials:
1. recommend at least 2  Abbott's ID NOW platforms and enough reagents to do 250 tests per machine per day

2. rented office

3. local recruits

Purpose:
Find hot looking female asympotomatic Covid-19 carriers aged between 18-28

the “con"
offer to hire them as professional product promotional hostess at a bar or club for something like Bicardi Rum, no nudity, just wear company logo shirt and shorts and it pays HUGE $$$$
BUT...
they have to prove they aren’t Corona positive so they have to take a Corona test
BUT...
you ONLY hire the ones who test asymptomatically positive and look hot!!!!
AND...
you do this as near as possible to major US Naval bases like SanDiego, Norfolk, etc
and these girls all go to the bars and clubs and give free samples

OK, see how easy?

couple of hundred thousand spent and you just took down two aircraft carriers
that were guarding the Persian Gulf

Offline BillyB

Our hospital need projections were ALL overblown. Surely you're well aware of this by now, no?

Having too many hospital beds is always better than not having enough. Give credit to our leaders. Overblown? NY and many European nations failed to calculate when to shut down and paid a price. Fortunately most of America acted in time.

recovered patients have demonstrated that their immune systems have the capability to rid the body of the virus. Why would that not be retained?   

Antibodies diminish over time. I put a link up pertaining to immunity on a SARS study showing after two years, the risk of reinfection increases because antibodies diminish. If the virus mutates too much, then throw immunity out the window and we hide again and back to creating not one, but two vaccines. We are dealing with a coronavirus related to a cold virus. In a study, it was observed that more than half the people in the study could not get immediately re-infected by the same cold virus they just had. The rest did get immediately re-infected.

http://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/09/well/live/can-i-catch-the-same-cold-twice.html
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline GQBlues

Having too many hospital beds is always better than not having enough. Give credit to our leaders. Overblown? NY and many European nations failed to calculate when to shut down and paid a price. Fortunately most of America acted in time.

Billy, NY despite it being struck as ‘badly’ as it had, it was still not bad enough to have had hospital bed shortage. You do know this, right?

Online krimster2

• He/Him
  • Trips: Resident
so now the region of Texas that I am living in is taking away the freedom of rednecks to try and infect me
because it requires everyone here to wear a mask that covers nose and mouth when they go ANYWHERE in public
this law takes effect on Monday morning
I have had 3 confrontations with young people who did NOT want to respect a 6 ft minimum distance...
which ended when the person opposite me saw me put my hands on my knife and saw the crazed look I put on for show through my full face mask
shoulda seen em take off
almost as much fun as throwin toilette paper out the window in a crowded parking lot with long lines of people waitin to get inside to buy a single pack of toilette paper
I even squeal my tires when I peel outta there, sweet
hahahahaha

PS...

OK...
the reality you guys are gonna be experiencing next year, is gonna be unlike anything ya’ll have EVER dealt with....

before you lose the opportunity...
let me make a suggestion...

go on amazon and buy a “ring sizer”
and then measure the ring size for your fingers and thumb at different points

then you buy “Men’s Tungsten Rings” in your ring sizes
you try to squeeze as many different sizes onto each finger and thumb as you can
Tungsten is one of the densest heaviest metals there is, it’s even denser then lead
and as hard as steel!!!

you can easily pile over 6 ozs of tungsten rings on each hand
this will only set you back a couple of hundred....

BUT...

in Russia or USA wear this open or concealed, cuz it’s JEWELRY!!!
and mine weighs slightly more than a pair of brass knuckles

the advantages?
legal
and you’re always carryin it

if you know HOW to punch CORRECTLY
you can break the jaw bone, the nose, teeth, occipital ridge
AND just as importantly by making contact with hard tungsten instead of your knuckles
YOU don’t get busted up in the process AT ALL!!

you can also use one hand to block and parry if they’re covered in Tungsten armor
you can STOP a knife attack with these rings

on punching...

all you white boys are punching WRONG!!!
you don’t just punch with your arm or shoulder....
NO!!!

you make all the different joints of your body work together at the same time in harmony

arm
shoulder
hips
balls of your feet

you add the motion of each to the motion of all the others, and by combining them together
then you can punch with your whole body and not just your arm!!!!
you have a HUGE increase of force when you punch this way, not just weight, but also speed
but it takes practice to do it right so that each joint’s motion adds speed and weight to the others

when you combine the increased speed and weight
it’s a one punch KO EVERY TIME
and IF YOU WANT to break bones and send your victim to the hospital then you hit the jaw/nose/teeth

it's REALLY that easy boys
to be a geezer badass
especially when you're hooked up with IG Farben!!

ran outta videos to watch
catchin up on "chores"
like takin boxes full of NotGeld notes and puttin em into plastic sleeves to put into albums

I TOTALLY think USA will have something like Notgeld in the hyper-inflation period that happens a couple of years from now
get used to a big time period of asset deflation and then price deflation in EVERYTHING
you'll have that before they hyper-inflation
that's how we can write-off 50 trillion in debt
inflate the money by a HUGE amount
and then have an austerity program
cut social security/federal payments and federal salaries in half
and pay off the debt
and the federal government takes over the manufacturing and agriculture industries and power generation industries

here are some coins I found on the beach near Gush Dan with a metal detector

« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 09:24:30 PM by krimster2 »

Offline BillyB

Billy, NY despite it being struck as ‘badly’ as it had, it was still not bad enough to have had hospital bed shortage. You do know this, right?

Yes I know that but lets add some facts why they had beds left over. The federal government gave them thousands of beds and a hospital ship. NY city had nearly 50,000 infections. Some counties in NY like Albany only had 240 infections so they shipped patients out of NY city into hospitals around the State to relieve NY city hospitals.  If all of America was in bad shape as NY city, NY city's hospitals would easily be over capacity because there'd be no hospitals to help them out.

The flu kills .1% of the people it infects or 1 out of every thousand people. If every person in NY State got the flu this season, 1 out of a 1000 people would die or just over 19,000 would die in NY State. In one month, COVID-19 killed 1 out of every 1000 people in New York. and it hasn't even infected the whole population to accomplish that. It infected just a fraction, just over 1%, of the population of NY and set it on fire. If COVID-19 infects 100% of the population in New York guess how many will die. If the curve remains flat with deaths not going up or down, and a full year(12 months) pass by, 12 out of every 100 people would die or in other words, at the end of the year, 1 out of every 83 people in NY State would be dead. It would be much worse if we let the coronavirus spread exponentially. What happened in NY is happening in other countries and can happen anywhere in the USA. Without an effective vaccine, we will never be able to open up the country 100%.

http://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Although Trump is eager to open the country, he has vigorously opposed Georgia's Republican governor for planning to open too much too quickly.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trump-says-he-disagrees-with-georgias-push-to-re-open-economy/ar-BB133th7?ocid=spartanntp

I've been busy today and took fake news in without verifying and they got me. CNN said the director of the CDC said the second wave of the coronavirus this winter will be worse. The director today at Trump's briefing said they reported wrong and what he said was the second wave would be more difficult if it arrived the same time the flu did making things tough on medical staff. He recommends everybody getting vaccinated. I'll be doing my part. Hope its a good vaccine this year. 2Tall put up an article saying last season's flu vaccine was only 17% effective.

Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline msmob

It is noted you're STILL are playing down this virus' potential to ruin more lives than you want to believe ..

This video shows that despite GQB's denial issues that some died before getting near a bed, because of the wait ..

This is early April

Offline GQBlues

Yes I know that but lets add some facts why they had beds left over. The federal government gave them thousands of beds and a hospital ship. NY city had nearly 50,000 infections. Some counties in NY like Albany only had 240 infections so they shipped patients out of NY city into hospitals around the State to relieve NY city hospitals.  If all of America was in bad shape as NY city, NY city's hospitals would easily be over capacity because there'd be no hospitals to help them out.

Now you’re extracting NYC from the State to make your point, yet the shoe still doesn’t fit, BillyB. The ship Comfort was really never used. Nor did those 4 field hospital beds setup by ACoE were necessary. As for fitting patients for citywide accommodation, of course patients will be brought to either boroughs until filled to capacity.

Even Cuomo remarked they only reacted to the projected numbers given to them. Which now everyone knows is way overblown.

Offline GQBlues

It is noted you're STILL are playing down this virus' potential to ruin more lives than you want to believe ..

This video shows that despite GQB's denial issues that some died before getting near a bed, because of the wait ..

This is early April

The discussion was about the US, hence you wouldn’t know as you’re not even remotely close to being here.

No, there’s no desert in NY nor N95 masks choke people in 30 minutes of wearing them. You’re a waste of  time.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 05:23:36 AM by GQBlues »

Offline BC

One thing that was learned in Germany is that getting folks into the hospital at an early stage seems to help lower the death rate.  Folks that have symptoms first call their family doctor who makes house calls to take swabs and monitor infected folks in their home, on a regular basis to check if symptoms remained mild or if they were progressing and needed to go to the hospital right away - based on the doctor's recommendation.  Probably prevented a lot of folks with other respiratory ailments from getting infected in the ER emergency room as well.

In other countries, suspect the US as well, many were simply sent home with symptoms 'not serious enough' to even warrant testing and just told to call if symptoms get worse. Left to diagnose themselves as to what 'worse' is many likely waited too long not wanting to be a 'bother' for those busy folks at the hospital again.  Many were in much worse shape by the time they 'felt really bad' and called an ambulance. 

Here in Italy if you think you have symptoms you call a toll free number for your province and they make arrangements based on symptoms etc and give recommendations on what to do or which hospital to go to or to wait for the ambulance or on-call town doctor to drop by to make a recommendation.  The downside in the hotspot areas was the lack of hospital space and doctors that did not allow it all to work efficiently due to the vast number of cases.  This left many at home being followed up only via phone until symptoms progressed quite far.   Today this shouldn't be a problem with the dwindling number of cases in hospital and intensive care.

Offline Gator

This was not due to a shortage of beds in NYC.  Maybe a management issue.  Certainly not as efficient as BC describes for Italy.

Hospitals throughout America are having financial problems because of empty beds, many more empty beds than in 2019.    Nurses, etc. have been furloughed in large numbers. 

Offline msmob

This was not due to a shortage of beds in NYC.  Maybe a management issue.  Certainly not as efficient as BC describes for Italy.

Hospitals throughout America are having financial problems because of empty beds, many more empty beds than in 2019.    Nurses, etc. have been furloughed in large numbers.

Phil, your response makes me SO glad we have the NHS  and a form of Social HealthCare .. it's far from perfect, but ...

Offline fathertime

Yet, strange behaviors kick in with COVID like people hoarding toilet papers, governments skid to a halt and fathertime believes he was a communist Chinese under Mao Zedong in his previous life!!
I'm not sure but I think I just got teased.

Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline GQBlues

….In other countries, suspect the US as well, many were simply sent home with symptoms 'not serious enough' to even warrant testing and just told to call if symptoms get worse. Left to diagnose themselves as to what 'worse' is many likely waited too long not wanting to be a 'bother' for those busy folks at the hospital again.  Many were in much worse shape by the time they 'felt really bad' and called an ambulance....

I won't comment about *other* countries as unlike a couple of notables here who insist being  experts in places they're not in, never been to, or haven't been to in 3-4 decades. (yes, you know who you are, Mr Rejected Everywhere. Get a friend), just get any attention.

That said, so much had been made about this novel virus from the onset our notable experts lined up like screaming banshees so alarmed and confused they were literally siding all the way on the extreme edges of caution. Washington and California were the poster states of how bad everything is going to be. 22 million infection, 240K dead, yadayada….maybe more if you don't do what Simon sez.

To prepare for such an onslaught, things like elective hospitalization was stopped, makeshift hospitals beds in places like convention centers were hoisted - thousands of them, etc...panic and mayhem struck - not enough ventilators OMG!, lack of PPEs - OMG! Vanishing toilet papers - OMG!! The sh!t was so bad you had nurses so scared sh!tless they were crying and damning their choice of career for getting caught in the middle of this 'pandemic', "I didn't sign up for this! Boohoo!".

Panicked was so unleashed upon the masses that rules had to be made like - "to avoid shortage of hospital beds and - egads - ventilators!!! like we witnessed in Italy, if you tested positive for this virus and determined your case doesn't require hospitalization, then stay home and isolate. Only those who are suffering severe conditions will be admitted for hospitalization."

LMAO! Losers. Hell, they even established *statistics* to plot the # of hospitalization.

We were all dressed up for the prom, man....The problem was - the big bad wolf never showed up.!!!!

So no. It wasn't about lack of leadership. It wasn't about the system. Certainly not about who's better and who's on first base.

It was all about the hyperventilating chaos unleashed upon everyone from the bat cave in Wuhan, China all the way to the cowering lonely bloke in a basement in the UK.

COVID-19, like the seasonal flu we have vaccine for, always cluster along the northerly-eastern coast states. Unlike California or even Texas, etc...lifestyle in these areas are just different.

As for why the US 'seem' to be hit harder than most countries, please get a grip! If you cannot understand why this is compared to say, Europe, then I can only wish this silly virus attacked those not of the weak, but rather those that are as stupid as you.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 08:10:40 AM by GQBlues »

Offline BC

'Bad hair day' GQ?

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541437
Total Topics: 20863
Most Online Today: 2422
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 8
Guests: 1876
Total: 1884

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 05:23:57 PM

Re: international travel by krimster2
Today at 04:41:40 PM

international travel by 2tallbill
Today at 04:20:06 PM

Re: Does it ever feel strange to visit a place where you were with a previous girl? by 2tallbill
Today at 04:05:32 PM

Re: international travel by krimster2
Today at 04:05:13 PM

International travel by 2tallbill
Today at 02:39:39 PM

Re: Does it ever feel strange to visit a place where you were with a previous girl? by ML
Today at 02:16:29 PM

Does it ever feel strange to visit a place where you were with a previous girl? by Trenchcoat
Today at 11:21:59 AM

Re: Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by Trenchcoat
Today at 08:13:26 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine by Trenchcoat
Today at 08:03:37 AM