It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: More Bad News for Russia  (Read 1087250 times)

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1475 on: January 02, 2015, 09:15:59 PM »

I take issue with use of the word "reign", otherwise your comment is accurate enough. Is this a problem for you?

Hehe no problem, I used the word "Reign" on purpose, although I know technically it is inaccurate....although if it is thought of in terms of who's coffers the money winds up in..then it may apply. 

2) Geography seems to be at issue with you. Do you believe that based on geography the Falklands Islands because it's situated close to the Argentine mainland is subject to an Argentine form of 'Manifest Destiny' or do you believe the duly elected government of the Falklands has a right to determine it's own future/alliances?

Yes, I think Geography should be a factor.  It seems to me that the potential wealth should NOT end up going mostly to or through the UK...If it were the USA I'd say the same thing, so not picking on the UK in particular.  Earlier you mentioned that the UK does not collect taxes from the Falklands, but that is NOT the entire story... The Falklands are using companies to extract the oil from..drum roll.....THE UK (just about exclusively)...these companies are and will be making tremendous profits and presumably will be taxed by the UK...so in essence, the UK is doing a little better than just taxing the Falklands residents.   Does ALL this wealth deserve to go to so few, the early colonizers, with the best and most aggressive gutsy military?  Can this situation be juxtaposed to Ukraine as well then?

1) I disagree. Applying the Chagossian situation to the Falkland's argument is faulty logic and my first line to you was the history is complicated, was it not?

2)You believe we (Nato, the west) should not intervene because of our own (societies) past actions, if I'm catching your drift. Yet at the same time you advocate (your para 3) perpetrating those same aggressive/illegal/criminal actions you've decided to condemn western/European nations for. Does this make sense to you?

3)"If the Argentinians vie for more control of resources (in and around the Falklands), and threaten with Russian weaponry I'd be Ok with that.  I see it as tit for tat....".

I see. Will you also be O.K. with it when the UK/Nato or some other world power responds in kind and repels the Argentines...will it be "tit for tat" then or another example of western imperialist aggression?

Brass 

I guess I really don't believe the Falklands is much of an independent govt.  Sure they appear like one, BUT would they really take any position other than what the UK wants them to take?  I think I read they allow 40 immigrants a year, and they are probably screened, so the ethnic makeup of the voting public will not change nor will the policies. 
Yes it does make sense to me to point out our past transgressions and then to now accept that it is a continuation for other (non-allied) nations to do the same as we did, in the present day.  I've found it completely laughable when certain posters (not referring to you) jump on their high-horse and become indignant, when they have 'forgiven' their own nations from their past injustices, and continue to benefit from them.  Do you think that Western nations should be let off the hook because they have apologized, AFTER they have received material advantage and dynastic wealth? 

I can see discussing and/or disagreeing about Ukraine in terms of what is best for our respective nations and the best way to solve the issue, but to act like we (the Western nations) are conforming to some moral high-ground remains a laughable argument for people to make from my viewpoint.  When we want someone out, even nowadays we find an unhanded way to do it without being as ham-fisted as Russia, but it still gets done...in the old days we slaughtered who we needed to, no mercy. 

Fathertime!
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

lordtiberius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1476 on: January 02, 2015, 11:21:30 PM »

Ukraine has gone more than 5 thousand Russian soldiers - Vasiliev
Number of missing in Ukraine Russian military is already more than five thousand

This is in the air "Channel 5" said Russian human rights activist, founder of the "load-200 from Ukraine to Russia" in "Facebook" Elena Vasileva, reports Espreso.TV .

"Today missing in Ukraine Russian military, according to our data, more than five thousand," - she said.

Vasiliev said that the UN also confirmed the figure 4800 people missing and dead Russian soldiers in Donbass.

According to her, the important issue is not currently figure of dead Russians and mothers the opportunity to pick up and bury "those who gave their lives for some unknown reason."

http://espreso.tv/news/2014/12/08/v_ukrayini_znyklo_ponad_5_tysyach_rosiyskykh_soldat____vasylyeva

The article Jay H cites independent United Nations verification that 5,000 Russians have been killed in Eastern Ukraine.  Using this as a baseline, from modern war statistics, we can deduce that 50% or 2,500 are missing in action either desertion or killed with unrecovered temains.  Captured?  Both combatant governments deny a state of war if a state of war existed between the two countries the International Red Cross could tour POW camps and count and identify the POWs.  POWs are eligible for parole provided they do not return to the conflict.  If they return to the fight, they are subject to summary execution.  We can deduce that 25,000 have been wounded on the pro-Russian side.

If this is the case, these statistics follow the same casualty political Calculus  as the US second Iraq war circa 2005 except that Russia has half the population and smaller families.  Main take way, the war is going very, very badly for Russia.

Think Russo-Japanese War of 1905 . . . the parallels are there.

lordtiberius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1477 on: January 02, 2015, 11:42:44 PM »
You maybe should have read that first link I provided instead of defaulting straight to the Argentine side of the conflict. Reading the link would have clarified such things as government and immigration for you.

The Falklands are a protectorate of the UK. However, they maintain their own government and have their own Constitution. Immigration and/or visa control is not controlled by the UK but by the local government and yes they do have a restrictive immigration policy.

It was only after the Argentine invasion were the Falkland Islands inhabitants allowed offered full UK citizenship (including now EU passport) and British Overseas Territory Citizen passport status. Which, of course, most of the inhabitants have taken advantage of. Again, Argentina opening Pandora's box.

The Falklands are economically self sufficient except for defense. They neither pay tax to the UK, nor receive any government funds from the UK.

http://www.falklands.gov.fk/

http://www.falklands.gov.fk/self-governance/the-constitution/

Good for the UK and Falklands if there's oil. More power to'em. Pay for some of the damage the Argies caused leaving their smashed military equipment laying about. ;D

Brass

This is a good point.

In 1982,  Argentina started a war to distract regime opponents from the economic chaos.

Kirchner is not doing very well as President.  She stirred up anti-British sentiment during the 30 year anniversary very cynically knowing she had no military to give voice to such antagonism. 

The Monroe Doctrine is still very much alive.  The only country with a credible challenge to it speaks Chinese and we buy their stuff at Walmart!

lordtiberius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1478 on: January 02, 2015, 11:50:08 PM »
Shadow,

The Russian Roman Abramovich,no fan of Putin by the way,owns the football club Chelsea.

It's amazing the amount of wealthy Russians who prefer to live in insignificant England ( London is full of them) rather than the paradise that is  Russia isn't it ?

Game, set & match

lordtiberius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1479 on: January 03, 2015, 12:05:22 AM »
Tell us all again, Shadow!

How was it a covert coup?  We're flapping our ears, waiting to hear.  Just so you remember, the Russians were actually negotiating between the Rada and the EuroMaidan activists and had already decided to support the activists with a new election scheduled for December.  When Yanukovich saw the handwriting on the wall, he fled.  That, too, was encouraged by the Russians - they even assisted him when he went to Kharkiv and then on to Rostov. 

You have labeled this a semi-covert coup, but failed to respect that the Crimean parliament was overtaken by men with guns and forced to render a new government.  Funny, I can't seem to remember the guns inside the Rada.

I guess my memory of events is significantly different than yours.

This is a slam dunk

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1480 on: January 03, 2015, 12:41:19 AM »
The Monroe doctrine has been dead since the dawning of BRICS.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline cc3

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1481 on: January 03, 2015, 02:25:38 AM »
The Monroe doctrine has been dead since the dawning of BRICS.
"BRICS", the formerly admired and extolled clique of burgeoning economic powerhouse nations, has been reduced to only 'IC'. Brazil, Russia, and South Africa have been exposed as disintegrating frauds, mainly due to out-of-control crime and corruption in those nations.

Offline Misha

• Spouse's Country: Russia
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1482 on: January 03, 2015, 02:35:23 AM »
"BRICS", the formerly admired and extolled clique of burgeoning economic powerhouse nations, has been reduced to only 'IC'. Brazil, Russia, and South Africa have been exposed as disintegrating frauds, mainly due to out-of-control crime and corruption in those nations.

Yes, and the "IC" component are hardly bosom allies  :-X

Offline cc3

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1483 on: January 03, 2015, 03:38:31 AM »

Yes, and the "IC" component are hardly bosom allies  :-X
Fortunately for the rest of us...

lordtiberius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1484 on: January 03, 2015, 08:31:49 AM »
They kill white people in South Africa.

Offline AC

• Banned Member
  • Trips: 1 - 3
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1485 on: January 03, 2015, 01:25:54 PM »

Offline JayH

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1486 on: January 03, 2015, 05:15:33 PM »
LT--note this--it is about some of your previous questions.
More bad news for Russia as true patriots are incorporated into armed services.
Volunteers "Right Sector" includes a new 55 battalion of the Armed Forces of Ukraine
Більше читайте тут: http://tsn.ua/ukrayina/dobrovolci-pravogo-sektoru-vhodyat-u-noviy-55-y-batalyon-zbroynih-sil-ukrayini-400941.html

Soldiers will sign the contract and all applicable military social guarantees. In Vinnitsa region train new soldiers battalion New 55 universal battalion created in Vinnytsia region.
There's a pilot project in cooperation with the Ministry of Defence "Right Sector", referred to in the story TSN.19 30 . As a result, soldiers volunteer groups, which is involved in illegal ATO officially become soldiers. Now experimental battalion trains on the territory of the former training center command post 43rd Army Strategic Missile Forces. Every day soldiers are firing and tactical training, work skills and battlefield circulation in exploration.
 The idea of ​​creating a joint battalion went to the Ministry of Defence representatives "Right Sector". Military landed a deal. Soldiers of the battalion will go to the Donbass replace those in need of rotation. Instead of them all MOD sign a contract and they officially serve in the army. "Volunteers mobilized, are on contract and serve as military forces Zbronyh Ukraine," - said the commander UNSO in Vinnytsia region Sergey Regional. Defense and "Right Sector" create universal battalion   So far, the Department of Defense has provided only as part of a military base, restore water and purchased furniture. All the rest is done by volunteers. But over time the battalion fully fund the state. "When we came here, this part was completely empty. Currently MoD could find furniture, tables and chairs. Due to the financial condition of the state - is very difficult. In fact, we exist mostly by volunteers. From food to socks money on fuel, "- said the chief of staff teams boundary UNSO in Vinnitsa region Andrew Koshubskyy. Nevertheless, the morale of the boys high. They hope that soon will be able to help colleagues in eastern Ukraine to defend from the enemy.
Більше читайте тут: http://tsn.ua/ukrayina/dobrovolci-pravogo-sektoru-vhodyat-u-noviy-55-y-batalyon-zbroynih-sil-ukrayini-400941.html
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 05:33:44 PM by JayH »
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline AC

• Banned Member
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1487 on: January 03, 2015, 05:35:31 PM »
Poll:  More than 88% of Ukrainians say "Nyet" to any kind of union with Russia.

http://www.unian.info/politics/1028682-poll-more-than-88-of-ukrainians-say-nyet-to-joining-russia.html

Offline JayH

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1488 on: January 03, 2015, 08:34:01 PM »
Poll:  More than 88% of Ukrainians say "Nyet" to any kind of union with Russia.

http://www.unian.info/politics/1028682-poll-more-than-88-of-ukrainians-say-nyet-to-joining-russia.html
0% Want To Join Russia !!That is zero% ~~
Least join Russia To the inhabitants of Central Ukraine. Dumskaya.net In Odessa, was found willing to join in. In Kherson, Lviv and Odessa 0% willing to join Russia . These are the results of a study commissioned  ZN.UA Kyiv International Institute of Sociology. According to this study, 88.3% of citizens oppose Ukraine's accession to the region of their support this idea only 3.1% of respondents. If we consider the situation in the regions, the most oppose Russia's accession to the residents of Central Ukraine (98.1%), followed by - the West (94.0%), South (93.3%) and East (81.5%) . The same figures given question whether citizens would like to be separated from the Ukraine region, but remained independent and not joined to Russia. Only 2.6% want independence for their region. Recall the Donbass about 100 communities want to join the Dnipropetrovsk region .

Більше читайте тут: http://tsn.ua/politika/v-odesi-ta-hersoni-0-bazhayuchih-priyednatisya-do-rosiyi-400945.html

None of these results are a surprise to me-- it reflects what some of us her on the forum have been trying to tell the non listeners all last year.Russia is not wanted in UKRAINE-in any shape or form !!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline AC

• Banned Member
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1489 on: January 03, 2015, 08:42:26 PM »
Very good post Jay.  I hope others besides you will also read that poll.

Offline JayH

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1490 on: January 03, 2015, 11:48:21 PM »
Some interesting comments of note--particularly that Russia has been heading to a economic recession for some time. I disagree that sanctions will only be of minor impact--they will be savage and create severe depth in the economic fall-- and make recovery much more difficult and prolonged--UNLESS-- Russia decides to rejoin the world and not stay a pariah state like North Korea.
This piece of writing encompasses some of the ludicrous thinking emanating from Moscow-- and shows how little is understood about Ukraine 2015 !
What a shock it is going to be to Russians when they wake up to the fact that Ukraine has/(or is going to) beaten them militarily!

Russia Prepares for Lengthy Confrontation With West

By Vasily Kashin, analyst, Centre for Analysis of Strategies and Technologies, Moscow 10:43 a.m. EST January 3, 2015

Russian politics in 2015 will continue to be shaped by two simultaneous crises, external and internal. While the external crisis affecting Russia — the conflict with the West over Ukraine — is attracting global attention, the internal crisis goes largely unnoticed or, even worse, is erroneously viewed as the result of Western sanctions.

In reality, the economic crisis in Russia started in 2013, long before Western sanctions. It was primarily caused by structural problems of the Russian economy and later was exacerbated by the sharp fall in oil prices and renewed economic decline in the EU, Russia's main economic partner.

Sanctions is an additional complicating factor but of secondary importance. For the coming two to three years, Russia will be passing through a period of stagnation and recession as it transitions to a new economic development model. The government's focus will be on gathering and maintaining the necessary political capital to undertake unpopular reforms and budget cuts.

An assertive foreign policy, including annexation of Crimea and support of the rebellion in eastern Ukraine, serves these goals perfectly. The country is experiencing a spectacular rise of national unity and nationalism that would be typical for late 19th century Western Europe. As result, Russia will not be interested in making significant political concessions on Ukraine in exchange for lifting the sanctions. Whether sanctions are removed or increased will have limited effect on Russia's economic situation. And demonstration of weakness could be politically suicidal.

That does not mean we will necessarily see a new round of hostilities in Ukraine in 2015. The military situation in the eastern Ukraine became a strategic stalemate after the Ukrainian Army was defeated in the battle of Ilovaysk in August. Ukraine is facing an economic disaster and new political instability, and the Army is in disarray, but rebel forces appear to be too poorly organized and controlled to take full advantage.

See the other contributors to "2015 Outlook."

Russia is interested in freezing the conflict either by turning the current Donetsk and Luhansk republics into unrecognized states or by obtaining Ukrainian consent for the widest autonomy for these territories in the framework of the Ukrainian state. These would achieve Russia's main policy goals in Ukraine, and Moscow then would be interested in complete military de-escalation.

At the same time, Russia will continue an assertive line in relations with the West because Russia does not feel it has much to lose. For Moscow, the Cold War has already started. It began when the US and EU supported a rebellion against a democratically elected government of Ukraine on the sole ground that the government chose a pro-Russian foreign policy.

The additional US deployments in Western Europe will be reciprocated by increased activity of the Russian Air Force and Navy along NATO borders; any tough statements from the West will be answered in kind.

Russia is preparing for a period of prolonged political confrontation with the West, and that pushes Moscow toward closer military, political and industrial cooperation with China. Next year we will see increased joint military activities, including a naval exercise in the Mediterranean, and new arms and high-tech trade deals.

But Russia is still keen to avoid excessive dependence on China and is trying to increase cooperation with the Asian region in general. As the active military phase in Ukraine ends, Russian decision-makers will turn to their traditional source of security concerns — Central Asia. That could create opportunities for cooperation with the US, but it is unlikely the current leaders of both counties will be interested to use that opportunity.

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/commentary/2015/01/03/thought-leaders-russia/21190035/
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 11:56:10 PM by JayH »

Offline Shadow

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1491 on: January 04, 2015, 06:12:07 AM »
0% Want To Join Russia !!That is zero% ~~
Least join Russia To the inhabitants of Central Ukraine. Dumskaya.net In Odessa, was found willing to join in. In Kherson, Lviv and Odessa 0% willing to join Russia . These are the results of a study commissioned  ZN.UA Kyiv International Institute of Sociology. According to this study, 88.3% of citizens oppose Ukraine's accession to the region of their support this idea only 3.1% of respondents. If we consider the situation in the regions, the most oppose Russia's accession to the residents of Central Ukraine (98.1%), followed by - the West (94.0%), South (93.3%) and East (81.5%) . The same figures given question whether citizens would like to be separated from the Ukraine region, but remained independent and not joined to Russia. Only 2.6% want independence for their region. Recall the Donbass about 100 communities want to join the Dnipropetrovsk region .

Більше читайте тут: http://tsn.ua/politika/v-odesi-ta-hersoni-0-bazhayuchih-priyednatisya-do-rosiyi-400945.html

None of these results are a surprise to me-- it reflects what some of us her on the forum have been trying to tell the non listeners all last year.Russia is not wanted in UKRAINE-in any shape or form !!
And you believe that someone can do a valid study during a civil war.
There is not a single person in that area who will tell what they believe to a stranger. They will only tell what they believe the stranger wants to hear.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline Photo Guy

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1492 on: January 04, 2015, 10:03:46 AM »
Admjit it. the EU had a huge problem with Ukraine being a succesful democraqcy and denying a trade agreement. That is why the semi-covert coup in Ukraine, along with the Russian reaction to it.

Say What? If you are saying the over-throw of the dictatorship in Ukraine, was implemented by the West, that's a ridiculous idea. This tells me you know nobody in Kiev and few people in Ukraine. This tells me you didn't watch the Maidan revolution videos. The Russian reaction to the revolution is all about suppressing democracy and stopping Ukraine from having free trade with the EU. Yanukovych was Putin's buddy. Remember? That's not a factor? Ha. Does the EU see Poland's democracy and development in the EU, as a huge problem? No, and for the same reasons, the EU encourages democracy in Ukraine. I think most see the over-throw of Yanukovych as a coup. And most see that as a good thing. All you have to do is contrast Yanukovych with Poroshenko? Would you like to compare those two? Hello? Please get a clue. Putin is ruining Russia.

Offline Shadow

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1493 on: January 04, 2015, 10:18:30 AM »
Say What? If you are saying the over-throw of the dictatorship in Ukraine, was implemented by the West, that's a ridiculous idea. This tells me you know nobody in Kiev and few people in Ukraine. This tells me you didn't watch the Maidan revolution videos. The Russian reaction to the revolution is all about suppressing democracy and stopping Ukraine from having free trade with the EU. Yanukovych was Putin's buddy. Remember? That's not a factor? Ha. Does the EU see Poland's democracy and development in the EU, as a huge problem? No, and for the same reasons, the EU encourages democracy in Ukraine. I think most see the over-throw of Yanukovych as a coup. And most see that as a good thing. All you have to do is contrast Yanukovych with Poroshenko? Would you like to compare those two? Hello? Please get a clue. Putin is ruining Russia.
Watch the Euromaidan videos and see the EU officials claiming "WE HAVE WON". You want to say they had no part in it?
Yanukovich and Poroschenko are the same type of guy, history will show.
There was a working democracy in Ukraine for a long time. Forgot the Orange revolution? Forgot Yanukoviich was chosen?
The EU sees any opposition as a problem, which means that when they did not get what they want they orchestrated a coup.
Accusing any politician in Ukraine of corruption is a simple thing, you will not find one who is not corrupt in present or past governments. All you need is the right type of backing to cause a revolution.

But you just continue in your dream world where democracy was brought to Iraq, Afghanistan, Lybia, Egypt and Ukraine.
See how grateful the population in those countries must be for being thrown in to war, terrorism, chaos, anarchy and poverty.
Meanwhile continue to support regomes in Saudi-Arabia, Quatar and Turkey even though there are more violations of human rights and less freedom as in Russia.
Putin may be ruining Russia, others are ruining every other country in the world.

Offline JayH

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1494 on: January 05, 2015, 02:15:16 AM »

Apple is worth more than the entire Russian stock market

Having sold the Apple corporation one would have enough money to buy the entire Russian stock market and still have enough change left to buy each Russian citizen an iPhone 6 Plus.

«Economic Pravda» reported that such calculations were done by Bloomberg referencing the current stock value of public companies on the market.

It turned out that the Russian shares are worth less than the Apple corporation.

http://en.inforesist.org/apple-is-worth-more-than-the-entire-russian-stock-market/

Offline AkMike

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1495 on: January 05, 2015, 02:50:16 AM »
Since these numbers were from last November and the Russian stock market has tanked further since then....

Imagine how bad it is now!!!  ;D ;D :rolleyes:

Offline Shadow

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1496 on: January 05, 2015, 03:29:05 AM »
Since these numbers were from last November and the Russian stock market has tanked further since then....

Imagine how bad it is now!!!  ;D ;D :rolleyes:
Stiil if I had a choice I would go for the Russian stock market. Apple will be eaten by worms.

Offline cc3

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1497 on: January 05, 2015, 03:38:06 AM »
Stiil if I had a choice I would go for the Russian stock market. Apple will be eaten by worms.

Warren Buffett's reputation is definitely challenged by your stock-picking perspicacity!

Offline Shadow

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1498 on: January 05, 2015, 03:40:57 AM »
Warren Buffett's reputation is definitely challenged by your stock-picking perspicacity!
He would agree.

lordtiberius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #1499 on: January 05, 2015, 03:42:49 AM »
Buffet is an Obama guy.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats