It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Poll

Please vote for the 3 factors that you believe are the biggest contributors to cross-cultural divorce.

Financial (not enough money, arguments over money, etc.)
27 (19.7%)
Sex (disparity in sexual drives or interests, arguments over sex, etc.)
13 (9.5%)
Abuse (physical, verbal, or emotional abuse)
10 (7.3%)
Infidelity (yours or your partner's infidelity)
9 (6.6%)
Children (conflict over children from a former marriage)
9 (6.6%)
Family (interference from your family or your partner's family)
5 (3.6%)
Stress (job stress or education stress or parenting stress, etc.)
4 (2.9%)
Language (inability to effectively communicate due to language difference ONLY)
7 (5.1%)
Cultural (differences between cultures proved incompatible)
11 (8%)
Communication (lack of desire to communicate)
14 (10.2%)
Commitment (lack of desire to remain committed to the marriage)
17 (12.4%)
Family Goals (differences in objectives and/or interests)
11 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: November 30, 2008, 01:18:28 PM

Author Topic: Survey Results - Third Question: Causes of Divorce  (Read 158383 times)

Offline Vaughn

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: No Selection
Re: Survey Results - Third Question: Causes of Divorce
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2008, 07:00:53 PM »
Dan,

In the original survey, where 40% of respondents were actually divorced - were those surveyed
all ex-husbands, ex-wives, or a mix of both? If the latter, was it close to 50/50?

It seems logical, given human nature, that while an AM (for example only) might claim there were
communication troubles - his former FSU wife might claim he was quite a control freak....often there
are contradictory reasons claimed.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2008, 08:59:17 PM »
Dan,

In the original survey, where 40% of respondents were actually divorced - were those surveyed
all ex-husbands, ex-wives, or a mix of both? If the latter, was it close to 50/50?

It seems logical, given human nature, that while an AM (for example only) might claim there were
communication troubles - his former FSU wife might claim he was quite a control freak....often there
are contradictory reasons claimed.

Vaughn,

I am not sure of your question. The awareness campaign for the survey was to make a broad dissemination through email, and to make press releases and other internet announcements. We have no way of knowing if any of the respondents had previously been married to one another - or still are married to one another. We did a check of IP addresses to insure there were not a bunch of responses coming from the same IP - but unless there was a clear issue with obvious abuse (there was not, BTW), we accepted the responses.

In terms of the fundamental demographic of respondents, they are almost exactly 50 % that had been previously divorced PRIOR to entering into their marriage to a cross-cultural spouse.

Since I doubt that I addressed your question properly, can you please ask me again?

- Dan

Offline Vaughn

« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2008, 09:18:04 PM »
I wasn't necessarily asking if both members of a marriage (or former marriage) responded - but to ask
if the entire pool of those surveyed was equally represented by males and females... if that is even known.

Gender specificity.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2008, 09:30:43 PM »
I wasn't necessarily asking if both members of a marriage (or former marriage) responded - but to ask
if the entire pool of those surveyed was equally represented by males and females... if that is even known.

Gender specificity.

Vaughn,

See attached graphic.

- Dan

Offline Bruce

« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2008, 07:12:28 AM »
I know comming up with these surveys / poll is very hard.  However, I strongly believe the choice "Wife had an agenda from the start" should have been a choice.
"A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day."  Emily Dickinson

Offline vwrw

• Each post of mine is expression of MHO, not a fact
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2008, 07:31:03 AM »
You raise the issue of causality. We looked at that issue, and as best we could (nothing is perfect) tried to establish independent variables for the survey responses.

Dan, please note that I expressed my astonishment with the fact that some people consider the lack of the desire to communicate as one of the biggest contributors, NOT with the fact of inclusion this contributor into your list.

Is the lack of the desire to communicate a contributor? YES
Is it the biggest contributor? NO

To my mind the biggest contributors to a divorce are those ones elimination of which might preserve marriage. Elimination of the lack of the desire to communicate or infidelity
would not automatically lead to the elimination of the problems that caused it. Hence, marriage would continue to be under a danger of decay.   

On the other hand, removal of contributors such as differences in family goals or lack of commitment, and so on would preserve marriage.
If you don't understand something, why the other person is the idiot?
~ A member of this forum.

Offline vwrw

« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2008, 08:23:04 AM »
Could anybody enlighten me about  what incompatible cultural differences one would bear in his/her mind when selecting it as biggest contributor?

Offline Gator

« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2008, 12:36:30 PM »
Could anybody enlighten me about  what incompatible cultural differences one would bear in his/her mind when selecting it as biggest contributor?

Good question.  You would think such a conflict would have been evident prior to marriage, e.g., religious vs. heathen.

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2008, 12:49:26 PM »

IMHO it has more to do with cultural mentality than culture itself.

Here some examples:

She makes me take my shoes off.
She won't wave or blow a kiss standing inside the doorway.
I can't whistle inside the house.
I think for the future and she thinks for the day.
Discussions are to be enjoyed.. the louder they get the better they are.
Mustard powder in my socks will help me get over my cold as will hot milk with butter and honey.

but... I have found true heaven.... I can leave the toilet seat up!

Offline vwrw

« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2008, 02:36:54 PM »
Good question.  You would think such a conflict would have been evident prior to marriage, e.g., religious vs. heathen.

Gator, I am sorry, I did not grasp what you  said.  :selfharm:
Did you mean that the incompatible cultural differences would become quickly evident as it usually happens with  incompatible differences in perspectives of religious people vs. heathen? Alternatively, did you mean that WM are religious and FSUw are heathen and that is why representatives of these two cultures may not be compatible?

I personally think that differences between cultures may not be proved incompatible since a lot of people have succeeded to reconcile the differences in their marriages. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 02:47:00 PM by vwrw »

Offline vwrw

« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2008, 02:38:01 PM »
IMHO it has more to do with cultural mentality than culture itself.

Here some examples:

She makes me take my shoes off.
She won't wave or blow a kiss standing inside the doorway.
I can't whistle inside the house.
I think for the future and she thinks for the day.
Discussions are to be enjoyed.. the louder they get the better they are.
Mustard powder in my socks will help me get over my cold as will hot milk with butter and honey.

but... I have found true heaven.... I can leave the toilet seat up!

BC, even if the listed examples were peculiarities of FSUw’s mentality, the fact that you and your wife are able to coexist is a proof that the Russian mentality is compatible with American.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2008, 03:55:02 PM »
will help me get over my cold as will hot milk with butter and honey.
That's not an FSU exclusive, I remember being treated with it (sans the butter) as a kid. Scott may help us here, IINM the milk/honey combination is an emollient (softener) mixture that usually soothes irritation of the upper respiratory ways, hence relieves some symptoms of a cold (sore throat), but obviously does not cure the cause itself (viral infection) ;).

On a side note, when I worked for a pharmaceutical company, I discovered the existence of a category of substances (carminatives? can't remember the exact name :() like alcohol, which were added in small quantities to cough syrups for just the opposite effect, i.e. a mild irritation: one would take a spoonful of syrup, feel his/her throat tingling and conclude "Ah, this works, I can feel it!" ;D.

The mysteries of marketing 8).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline ScottinCrimea

« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2008, 04:34:02 PM »
You're right on. Sandro.  The honey does nothing to cure the infection but instead acts as a coating agent to sooth the discomfort.  Other agents such as lemon juice and warm salt water decrease the mucus that contains chemicals that promote an inflamatory response.  In addition, the salt will draw out some of the edema in the throat.  One thing you have to be cautious of is the idea (not limited to RW but I think more pronounced with them) that if a little is good, more is better.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #63 on: November 29, 2008, 05:25:04 PM »
One thing you have to be cautious of is the idea (not limited to RW but I think more pronounced with them) that if a little is good, more is better.
Yes, I mentioned spoonfuls, not LITERS or worse yet GALLONS :( ;). The latter a word which, for some strange mental association, always reminds me of gAllons enfants de la Patrie !! ;D
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Vaughn

« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2008, 05:44:13 PM »

It was not one of my own three choices - but I often witness trouble brewing in others' kitchens,
literally. There are not too many foods that I cannot enjoy - so my wife, in addition to learning
how to prepare what we perceive as American dishes, really enjoys serving me what she is very
proficient at - Russian fare. That doesn't go over so well in all AM/RW households. Is it fair to
assume that AM generally do not seek FSU brides for those great salads they craft?

Sandro, we have men here who for the most part, eat only beef and potatoes - and when they
appear at our home for supper, we make sure there's something for them to enjoy.

How willing the bride and groom are to tolerate and accept changes in their habits and lifestyle
is key in overcoming those differences. It's difficult for some candidates to even give an inch.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2008, 05:52:11 PM »
Sandro, we have men here who for the most part, eat only beef and potatoes
Vaughn, I pity them for ignoring the Mediterranean diet, a US discovery since 1945, after all (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_diet) ;).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Vaughn

« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2008, 06:02:03 PM »
Vaughn, I pity them...

Oh, Sandro, so do I. Imagine losing a wonderful woman over a meatloaf and boiled potato habit?
They really should be courtiing ladies in the hills of Ireland.

Offline Misha

« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2008, 06:52:15 PM »
How willing the bride and groom are to tolerate and accept changes in their habits and lifestyle
is key in overcoming those differences. It's difficult for some candidates to even give an inch.

I agree with you. There are some people who should not date internationally and this applies to both men and women. I personally love all Russian food (with the exception of grechka) and my wife is open to trying all foods.

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2008, 04:14:56 AM »
Personally I doubt if "Cultural Differences" in the true meaning ever is a factor in divorce.

I can see it now.

The judge says,  So you two want a divorce and what are the reasons for the divorce?   The man answers, she puts mustard powder in my socks and feeds me borsch.   The judge says,  Didn't she feed you borsh when you went to see her in Russia?   The man answers, Yes, I think she may have but she was wearing a low cut dress and I didn't notice what she was feeding me.

Now, perhaps enough mustard powder could get me thinking about divorce but otherwise, I just can't see this as a viable motivator.

Maybe, since the survey is all foreign born women if someone married a girl from a head hunting tribe for Borneo or an Asian lass whose dinners consisted of the neighbors cats, then maybe. 

I think the factor that may have floated into someones mind in selecting this option was really difficulty adjusting to life in a new culture, living abroad, life away from their family, and friends, life where they had communication problems and where their hard earned education may have qualified them for little more than a job at McDonalds.   That factor probably plays a key part in peoples decisions to divorce but it is not the same factor as the survey question.

I think anyone divorcing over borsh, needing to take shoes off, and having to look in the mirror before we leave if we forget something and have to go back is almost non existant.   After all we get to forget about the toilet seat and that makes the trade off a bargain. 

Offline Doll

« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2008, 06:05:12 AM »
The man answers, she puts mustard powder in my socks and feeds me borsch.
:ROFL:

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #70 on: December 01, 2008, 05:50:17 AM »
This is one of the questions in which there was a great disparity in gender responses. There are two numbers in the cells - the first number is the mean score of all responses, and the number inside the parens is the ranking of that number relative to the other scores.

Finances Sex Abuse Infidelity Children Family Stress Language Cultural Communication Commitment Goals
Men 2.45(6) 2.62(4) 1.96(10) 2.55(5) 1.61(12) 2.04(9) 2.39(7) 1.62(11) 2.11(8) 2.83(3) 3.24(1) 3.04(2)
Women 2.65(6) 2.67(5) 3.24(1) 2.27(9) 1.75(11) 2.12(10) 2.73(4) 1.55(12) 2.41(8) 2.73(3) 2.53(7) 3.00(2)

Note the remarkable consistency between the rankings, save for two items that were nearly polar opposite.

- Dan
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 05:52:06 AM by Admin »

Offline GoodOlBoy

« Reply #71 on: December 01, 2008, 06:08:44 AM »
No surprises here!! Men don't see abuse, BUT women do (especially MENTAL abuse).

And when it comes to commitment we all know how women embrace commitment and men, well, we seem to run from it like a "ball and chain".  :)

IMHO, these are not only gender perception issues, they are deep social issues.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 06:23:57 AM by GoodOlBoy »
“For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo......... Geronimo E.K.I.A.”

Offline Co6aka

« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2009, 04:06:48 PM »
... they call them "VILLAGES" ...

"It's like VILLAGE!!!"  Oh man, if I had a dime for every time I had that one thrown in my face I could retire to Seychelles!  Except NYC ain't no small town.

Here's what led to my divorce, that and I had to call the cops on her once (needed to call more than one but didn't):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderline_personality_disorder

Two different psychologists, both Russian-speaking, and she refused to address anything.  The psychs were "stupid" and in fact all psychs are "stupid," and the first thing I did wrong was being born, with the most recent being that I'm still alive.  She did finally enter therapy with our neighbor's wife (AW) whose professional qualifications are a high school diploma and a troubled marriage.  So finally after way too long I filed for divorce.  Good riddance, but not soon enough.

How she got me was, she lied to herself until she believed her own lies.  She even got herself.

How do you weed these types out?
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you;  that is the principal difference between a dog and a human."  --  Mark Twain

Offline Admin

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2009, 04:56:34 PM »

"It's like VILLAGE!!!"  Oh man, if I had a dime for every time I had that one thrown in my face I could retire to Seychelles!  Except NYC ain't no small town.

Here's what led to my divorce, that and I had to call the cops on her once (needed to call more than one but didn't):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borderline_personality_disorder

Two different psychologists, both Russian-speaking, and she refused to address anything.  The psychs were "stupid" and in fact all psychs are "stupid," and the first thing I did wrong was being born, with the most recent being that I'm still alive.  She did finally enter therapy with our neighbor's wife (AW) whose professional qualifications are a high school diploma and a troubled marriage.  So finally after way too long I filed for divorce.  Good riddance, but not soon enough.

How she got me was, she lied to herself until she believed her own lies.  She even got herself.

How do you weed these types out?

>>the first thing I did wrong was being born, with the most recent being that I'm still alive.<<

Gotta say, that had me LOL. Sounds familiar (sadly).

>>How do you weed these types out?<<

In a word --- facetime - and it's not foolproof.

- Dan

Offline Co6aka

« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2009, 05:16:02 PM »
In a word --- facetime - and it's not foolproof.

See, that's the thing, when you believe your own BS you can fool a polygraph, and even me.

Yeah, facetime, lots of it.  IF... I were to do this again I'd stay for 6-8 weeks at a time, every 6-8 weeks, for a long time.  Dunno exactly which direction to go, the alternative, AW, are a sad pathetic bunch -- now I remember why I did this the first time.

BUT... an indication of stupidity is the repetition of the same mistake with the expectation of a different result.

Is just ONE good woman too much to want for... sigh.   ;)

Any good monasteries around?

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous he will not bite you;  that is the principal difference between a dog and a human."  --  Mark Twain

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 1994
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1981
Total: 1991

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM