It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: $US - $CAN  (Read 10846 times)

Offline d62

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: $US - $CAN
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2009, 12:19:08 AM »
Thanks Utro for this info!
I have a bank card too (not a debit card as I mentioned) and it's a TD Canada Trust card.
It needs to see the Plus System too and I'm sure it will ding me $5 per withdrawal too.

Most banks will and I know that TD Canada Trust specifically has a select service account. This gets you free withdrawls. $5000 minimum monthly balance can get this for free, else they charge $24.95 /mth. You can get the service for 1 month while away....Pays for itself pretty fast ;)
Check with your bank.
It's less stressful being a keyboard Romeo

Offline CanadaMan

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2009, 05:41:03 PM »
Most banks will and I know that TD Canada Trust specifically has a select service account. This gets you free withdrawls. $5000 minimum monthly balance can get this for free, else they charge $24.95 /mth. You can get the service for 1 month while away....Pays for itself pretty fast ;)
Check with your bank.

Thanks d62. I checked with my bank today.
I was going to open a Select service account but after I thought about it, it doesn't make sense really.

My basic chequing account is fine, no sense closing or replacing it.
This would mean opening an additional SS account.
But I'd need to keep $5000 in it each month to avoid the $25 service charge.

When you consider that using the bank machines a few times on my trip will cost me
3.00 x 2  or 3.00 x3 it doesn't make sense to tie up $5000 in a new account.

The 1.25 or 1.50 service charge for the machine will always be there.
I would just save 3.00 per withdrawal if I had the Select service account.

I checked today, I couldn't just close the account after a month. They require 90 days before closing. So I think it's more of a hassle than being worth it.

The hassle being, 15 minutes to open the account and another 15 minutes to close it.

Offline BCKev

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2009, 10:27:20 PM »
I suggest you rely on bank machines, but take several hundred US$ with you and keep them stashed as a back up if you have problems.

If you rely on cash, you will get screwed by exchange rates. You will get poor CAN$/Ruble rates. If you take US$ for cash you go through two costly exchanges: CAD$->US$ and US$->Ruble.  

I had trouble finding bankomats using the PLUS network in Ukraine, don't remember how widespread they were in Russia. It was much easier for me to find a useable bankomat if I was using a Visa credit card (CIBC, in my case).

I also have a $5 fee for withdrawal, but figure that if I was carrying cash I would have easily lost that $5 doing currency exchanges. Just make a few larger withdrawals rather than running to the bankomat every time you need 500 rubles.

Although not as convenient, and as a back up plan, you can always draw cash on a Visa card inside a bank.

My usual approach is to take along US$200 or US$300, my CIBC Visa credit card, and a second Visa credit card from a different bank as a backup. My brother and I have both had problems using TD cards in bankomats, don't know why.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 10:30:49 PM by BCKev »

Offline CanadaMan

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2009, 10:42:36 PM »
I suggest you rely on bank machines, but take several hundred US$ with you and keep them stashed as a back up if you have problems.

...My usual approach is to take along US$200 or US$300, my CIBC Visa credit card, and a second Visa credit card from a different bank as a backup. My brother and I have both had problems using TD cards in bankomats, don't know why.

Thanks Kev. That's exactly the strategy I decided to go with this time.
Two Visa cards, one bank card and, in my case, $500 US.

I'll let you know how things went when I return.

Offline Gylden

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2009, 11:58:47 PM »
Using a bank card at an atm machine is probably the best considering other options. However be alert to the fact that atm fraud is growing in the FSU, you can read plenty about it on-line. I suggest to study the different scenarios before you travel and keep it in mind when using atm's.
I can share an experience I had this summer. While staying in Kiev for a couple of days I used an atm at the hotel where I was staying. It was a typical looking atm like you would find in a grocery store or mini market. I tried to make a withdrawl and the transaction went well, right up to the end, except no cash came out and I got my card back. I thought this was strange and maybe I had cancelled the transaction accidentally, so I tried again with the same results. I told the reception at the hotel what happened and they said that I was trying with too large of an amount. (I was trying 4000 Hrivna) they told me it was a limit of 100 or 500 they were not sure. So I tried with 500 with the same results. The machine had a well know bank logo on it and a telephone number, so I asked the reception to call the number and report what had happened. When they called the number whoever answered said that they could see that I was trying to withdraw in USD and that it was way over the limit. (are you laughing yet?) So I tried again making sure that I was making all of the right selections, which I was, with the same results. So I gave up thinking that this must be a scam. It was on a sunday so I used my reserve cash (good move to have some).
The next day I took an early flight to Simferopal and then mini bus to Yalta, checked into the hotel and then immediately called my bank in Norway to report what happened at the atm. I was told that all of the banks customers had experienced a problem with their cards on that weekend, something wrong with the network and so not to worry and just try again later. I waited til afternoon and then went into a bank in Yalta and made a withdrawl without any problem. Case closed right? Well I am allways a little paranoid and as such when I come home from traveling I allways check my transactions on-line. I did and everything looked OK and agreed with my receipts ( I allways keep all receipts to everything, in order to verify) Everything looked right, so I considered the case closed. This travel was at the end of Sept. by the way.
Then just a couple of weeks ago we went traveling again to Prague and Berlin, I used same method, with backup cash and atm for any cash needs. Everything went OK we had a super time. Upon returning when I went into my account on-line I noticed there were some withdrawls, which didn't agree with my receipts. I called my bank and made an appointment with an adviser and we sat down and went over the transactions.
The facts are that someone was fraudulently using this atm machine had waited a couple of months to complete the transaction. (an interesting twist to the continually developing techniques used in this type of fraud) The results are as follows.
1. I was covered by the insurance of the bank. (got the money back)
2. I had cancelled my card and ordered a new one before leaving on the trip to Prague (probably the best thing that I did as the fraudulent transaction was completed after I had the new card) Anyway just thought I would share this experience with you, as we often become comfortable with our western ways and the security of these things. But when traveling especially to the FSU, IMO it is best to be much more alert!!
I recommend to call your bank and let them know when you plan on travelling and where. Also to keep all of your receipts, in order to control your transactions after travelling. Don't use atm's which are not permanently mounted to a bank. Go on-line and just take a look at atm fraud sites to get a quick idea of other scams.
I myself use the atm method, as well as I have a few hundred dollars in cash as a backup and I will continue to do so.

Have a nice time!! :)

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2009, 07:15:44 PM »
Faux Pas

Maybe you are bigger spender than me but $250 is a LOT of money on a daily basis. But then I dont know were you were. I just took a trip to Belarus. $700-800 for eight days including a great flat, food ( eat in) , some gifts, a few dinners in resturants, drinks ( more than a few),  trains, taxis and more. And we both had a great time. And I was not trying to save money. Just could not places to spend it.  :) I only took a few hundred with me and used the ATMs when I was there.

viking

Perhaps I am. I mentioned it was a rule of thumb for me. FWIW that includes lodgings and all expenses. I do have a good time usually free of the constraints of limited funds. I have no doubt you or anyone can do it it most places other than Piter or Moscow much cheaper. I don't go anywhere to see how much I can save or spend. If I can't afford the trip, I simply don't go. It could probably be done on $75 a day in most places. I know that I wouldn't enjoy that or be making the most of my trip. When I am in Russia even though visiting my RW, I am also on vacation.

Offline CanadaMan

« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2009, 10:37:51 AM »
...My question is, why on earth would you take cash anyway? ATM's (Bankomats) are everywhere. IMO carrying cash across borders is madness these days.

Hi I/O, the answer is quite simple really.
I am in Russia right at the moment and in desperate need of cash (I followed the advice of many here and took a small amount of cash and an ATM card and Visa card.)

I'm down to my last $150 US and the ATM machines aren't recognizing my ATM/Visa cards. It's being rejected as soon as I insert it. Won't even allow me to enter my PIN number!

I called/wrote my bank and Visa (it won't work either) and they're both as good as useless.   :(

Offline Gylden

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2009, 12:17:36 PM »
CanadaMan,
It sounds like your problem is urgent.
I suggest you go into a bank and let them help you in person.

A couple of questions;
1. What did your bank say when you called them?
2. What kind of network are your cards tied into? (on the card it should have some logo such as ACCEPT or such, it can be you need to find a machine with the same logo)

Offline BillyB

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2009, 12:31:09 PM »
I am in Russia right at the moment and in desperate need of cash (I followed the advice of many here and took a small amount of cash and an ATM card and Visa card.)

I'm down to my last $150 US and the ATM machines aren't recognizing my ATM/Visa cards. It's being rejected as soon as I insert it. Won't even allow me to enter my PIN number!

I called/wrote my bank and Visa (it won't work either) and they're both as good as useless.   :(

I usually take $2000-$3000 cash with me everytime I go to the FSU. A lot of it is hidden in the secret compartment in my belt so no risk to lose it except when my pants come off. Two reasons I take cash are because I've had one of my cards locked down/rejected when I was out of country once before and crap happens in the FSU. You seem to be having a total meltdown with all your cards not working.

You said you called/wrote your bank and Visa. Call them again while in a bank talking to a teller and get your bank and/or visa to let you withdraw cash at that point.

Always remember crap happens in the FSU more than you are accustomed to.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Trips: 4 - 10
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline CanadaMan

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2009, 12:33:53 AM »
CanadaMan,
It sounds like your problem is urgent.
I suggest you go into a bank and let them help you in person.

Tried that. They couldn't help me. After 45 minutes they sent me out with two
addresses to try two other ATMs.

A couple of questions;
1. What did your bank say when you called them?
2. What kind of network are your cards tied into? (on the card it should have some logo such as ACCEPT or such, it can be you need to find a machine with the same logo)

They said they'd call me back.
They are tied into the 'Plus' network. My card and the ATMs always match with their 'Plus' symbol, which as we can see means nothing.

Offline Gylden

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2009, 01:07:40 AM »
Sounds very strange, did you call the number on your card? It is never standard procedure to get an answer such as; to call you back? VERY STRANGE! I would call them again.
Bank networks are subject to down time. Durring my trip to Ukraine this summer my card also didn't work for a day, however when I called my bank, I didn't get excuses, they told me that they had temp. problem with the network, I waited a bit and it worked. In the meantime I went into a bank and withdrew money with no problem.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2009, 10:56:02 AM »

They said they'd call me back.

Get to a bank, call your bank and visa companies and don't accept a call back for an answer. They need to resolve the issue right then and your card company should tell the bank to release the cash advance you're requesting.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline CanadaMan

« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2009, 05:36:48 PM »
Get to a bank, call your bank and visa companies and don't accept a call back for an answer. They need to resolve the issue right then and your card company should tell the bank to release the cash advance you're requesting.

I called my bank in Russia and asked them if they would do as you say, talk to the Russian bank and ask them to release my money. They said no dice.

I am back home now. I went to visit my bank yesterday and gave them a piece of my mind.

They don't know what went wrong with my debit card.
Their theory is that because I am now using a new debit card with the built-in electronics, it threw the Russian machines for a loop.

I went to 7+ machines in Russia and they each spit out my debit card as soon as I inserted it.
The error message was something like "Sorry the machine is temporarily out of service".
But the Russians behind me in line had no trouble getting their cash from the "out of service" machines!

Can anyone here verify if they have used the newer debit cards with the built-in electronic chip in Russia?

As one might expect, when I flew out of Russia into Germany and popped the card into the first ATM machine at the airport, it worked!   :-\

Offline Gylden

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2009, 02:43:22 AM »
I would find a new bank, no question about it if that is the best they can do for you. What kind of customer service is it if they cannot help a customer is such situation? They must be outsourcing their customer service number.
I have used the new style card in Ukraine without a hitch.

Very strange story!

Offline UTRO

« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2009, 05:56:12 PM »
CanadaMan, this is very odd indeed. I've never had any issue with RBC, although I detest them, nor with Citizens Bank. As long as the machine had the PLUS Symbol, nyet probyem. Sveta used my personal Citizens Bank card from June till this December in her city, at least once a week. Citizens Bank discontinued Consumer Banking Services on December 1st :( I never even once put that card into a Canadian ATM!

I'd be asking for some sort of compensation. This is unacceptable.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 07:06:01 PM by Utrobina »

Offline CanadaMan

« Reply #41 on: December 20, 2009, 08:23:28 PM »
CanadaMan, this is very odd indeed. I've never had any issue with RBC, although I detest them, nor with Citizens Bank. As long as the machine had the PLUS Symbol, nyet probyem. Sveta used my personal Citizens Bank card from June till this December in her city, at least once a week. Citizens Bank discontinued Consumer Banking Services on December 1st :( I never even once put that card into a Canadian ATM!

I'd be asking for some sort of compensation. This is unacceptable.

Yeah, I was very PO'd about this, to say the least. Especially after having taken the time to go the bank ahead of the trip and painstakingly had them guarantee that everything would be OK (I had problems before with my Visa card on a trip to China).

The teller actually convinced me to surrender my old debit card and had a new one issued with the electronic chip on it. I asked if it would be "as good or better" than my original card.
She said it would.

Now when I went in to talk with the upper service rep. she says she suspects it was the new chip card that threw the Russian ATM machine off!

I was able to use my Visa card to make cash withdrawals (once I had given up on my debit card) and my bank will reimburse me for the fees associated with it.

The bank in question is the TD-Canada Trust Bank.

Next trip I'm taking my Royal Bank non-chip debit card and we will see what happens.

I told this rep point blank; "Why are you using your customers as guinea pigs?"
Your bank is worth hundreds of billions of dollars. Get one of your employees off his ass and on a plane to Russia, China and all similar type countries, remote cities and all, and have them try out these cards in the friggin' machines there! It's not rocket science.
They'll either work or they won't. If they won't, fix it!

Offline Gylden

« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2009, 10:42:39 PM »
Hey!! CanadaMan,
I don't think it was "the chip" as I have a brand new card, with a chip, we have been using them for sometime now here in Norway and it has been NO PROBLEM!! It is most likely there network!! It is a flimsy excuse from the bank! here is a pic of my card.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 12:20:39 PM by Admin »

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2009, 06:12:41 AM »
I had a very similar  problem on my second trip to Russia. On my first trip I took cash and didn't rely on a credit or debit card. I checked with my bank before leaving and was assured my card would work. Sure enough it didn't. In this instance it was a matter of permissions within the network. Apparently, there is a little known permission your bank must apply for by branch. The issue arises when the first person from any given branch bank attempts to access the network (inside the FSU) for the first time. This isn't a priority and can take weeks to accomplish. This was the excuse I was given. The same lady at my bank who assured me, admitted the mistake. She said she was unaware of the "extra" required permissions. On my third trip my card worked fine everywhere without a hitch.

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2009, 12:33:29 PM »

Can anyone here verify if they have used the newer debit cards with the built-in electronic chip in Russia?

As one might expect, when I flew out of Russia into Germany and popped the card into the first ATM machine at the airport, it worked!   :-\

I returned last week from Russia and Germany, I had no problems with my cards at all.  I have a Credit Union card and a RBC card with the chip. I never had the cards refused at any branch , but for some reason the most I was able to withdrawl was 6000 rubles per day. With a daily withdrawl limit of $400 CAD  I should of had 10000 rubles no problem.  I was told by one guy that he uses some German bank in Russia for all his ATM use, and he gets 10k everytime. Says only that bank company gives out that amount on his card.

Offline wiz

• Alt Forum
  • Born in Greece living in England
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2009, 04:50:01 PM »
I am very surprised to hear about all your problems, Canadaman. I think your Bank is crap and has no Network connection with Russia.

I have been travelling to Ukraine and Russia for more than 5 years now and NEVER had any problem with my Visa, Mastercard or my Visa Debit Card from Barclays and Natwest in the UK, which are similar to the one with a chip that Gylden posted a photo.

I have never taken so much money in cash with me, as other people mention, because it's dangerous........ and in Kiev or Moscow, as soon as I arrive always go and take money in local currency out at the airport.

BTW my Bank allows me to draw £300 daily which is around 15000 rubles.........

I just remembered one time in Lviv/Ukraine, back in 2005, I could not get money out and I made a call and in seconds they unblocked my account. Some silly person forgot to put my advice into the system that I will be travelling to Ukraine. Ever since... no more problems and I have been there over 25 times!

Actually in Russia most of the time, I pay with my Credit or Debit card and my Mother in Law is using a debit card that I gave her every month to draw cash and also to pay for shopping, with no problems for the past 2 years!

I suggest you find another bank to make sure you are not get any more problems, next time you go there.

DON

I Russia the max you can draw in one session is 6000 rubbles from one machine  :(
... but you can darw out 5000 in one and then go to another one you still can get out a total of 10000 rubbles in one day!

I have learned this trick long time ago. ;)

« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 04:55:03 PM by wiz »

Offline CanadaMan

« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2009, 05:15:31 PM »
I am very surprised to hear about all your problems, Canadaman. I think your Bank is crap and has no Network connection with Russia.

...I suggest you find another bank to make sure you are not get any more problems, next time you go there.

DON

I agree Don, my bank is definitely crap.

Today however I went to its biggest competitor (the Royal Bank of Canada)
armed with my RBC client card (debit card) and grilled a bank rep there for more than 30 minutes on this issue and whether my RBC debit card would work in Russia for my next trip.
In the end all she could offer me was the same old..."It should work. If it doesn't just call the number on the back of the card...". (The exact same line I was given at the TD Canada Trust Bank).

Offline Misha

« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2009, 05:31:51 PM »
"It should work. If it doesn't just call the number on the back of the card...". (The exact same line I was given at the TD Canada Trust Bank).

This was my experience in Russia: if  your card does not work, walk to the next one (sometimes less than 20 feet away on Arbat) and try it there. I rarely had to go to more than two different bank machines before being able to withdraw some cash.

Offline UTRO

« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2009, 02:12:48 AM »
My RBC Chipped Card has worked in Moscow, Kirov, St Petersberg and Nizhny Novgorod without issue. As Misha says, walk to the next ATM and see if it works. This I have had to do.

Offline CanadaMan

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2009, 09:19:55 PM »
My RBC Chipped Card has worked in Moscow, Kirov, St Petersberg and Nizhny Novgorod without issue. As Misha says, walk to the next ATM and see if it works. This I have had to do.

I'll keep my fingers crossed it will work for my next trip to Russia, but I won't be holding my breath.
I did walk to the next ATM when I was in Perm. I repeated that process seven or eight times before I finally gave up.  >:(

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 1961
Total: 1970

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM