It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: English course for her?  (Read 20036 times)

English course for her?
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2005, 02:27:07 AM »
I bought a "Language Assistant (AT-0750)" in Russia for 900 rubles ($30). I don't know who makes it, from overuse, fingerprint grease has rubbed off the name on the back. It claims to have a 75,000 word vocabulary. It's very small, so it's convenient, and you can type in English or give it to your date, and she can type in Russian, and then press the "translate" button. It only does a word at a time (and about 100 phrases), but usually that's all you need to attain understanding.

I wrote an "English for Russians" software program about 12 years ago. You can see it at "fairbrothers.com," but I don't think the ordering page works nowadays. The program is old and very pixelated, but the audio is good (done by a native Muskovite). I originally wrote it for the Amiga (with Tschaikovsky music) computer and I gave up on improving the PC version because of Microsoft. It is an introductory program (about 800 words). If you want it, free, let me know, I can download it or mail it to you.  

BTW2, Does anyone know of a "Russian immersion" course in DC or NYC? I know of a church that has one, but I don't want to be a missionary!

Offline Bruno

English course for her?
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2005, 02:47:48 AM »

[line]
BTW2, Does anyone know of a "Russian immersion" course in DC or NYC? I know of a church that has one, but I don't want to be a missionary!
[line]

I don't wish to be missionary too but the orthodox church in Belgium was a great help for me... Let's me explain ... i go to the office for the last 5 minute ( orthodox office in church are very long, around 2 hours... and always stand up, without chair... ).

After the office, almost everybody go to a big room for drink coffee, eat cake, and speak... this allow me to make a lot of Russian friend, both man and woman... this allow me to know more about the culture of language...

The only problem is that i can speak a little russian but i cannot read it of write it... but i hve no problem during a stay in russia, i can ask my way, make some basic speaking, use metro and bus, command eat in restaurant, ask some drink in cafe,... it is only friendship, no need to be missionary...

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
English course for her?
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2005, 03:05:02 AM »
I use electronic dictionary ABBY Lingva 7.0 ( version 7.0 I like better than 9.0 one wich includes one more 4 languages besides English) Very good product.

Also when I lazy to translate big enough texts I use a programm X-translator. It works very good and fast (though you have to know english grammer to understand "the result" :D)

Both Cds were bought at pirate market for 100 rub each

As for books there are a lot of them now but classic English course written by Natalia Bonk (Наталья Бонк) is still the best.

English course for her?
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2005, 06:30:23 AM »
I love ABBY Lingva 7.0. It can translate anything. I use the Prompt software for longer text (for example, my Russian 102 homework assignment:)). I paid 60 Ruble at the "electronic market." I have X-translator, but I can't get it to work. It wants the password.

But on the date, I take the Language Assistant, because it's the size of a calculator. Also, it's a good ice-breaker, but if you need an ice-breaker, it's probably not a good sign...

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
English course for her?
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2005, 06:38:52 AM »
Promt  works much more slowly than X-translator.

And actually I wonder at a "brave" of your girls. How is it possible to start such "avanture" like "foriegn groom" knowning nothing at English:??

English course for her?
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2005, 07:38:25 AM »
My mistake. Prompt IS X-translator, or the same company makes them. The big version with all the bells and whistles does seem a mite slow compared to the X-translator.

I agree, I don't like date without translator. But some of the translators were pretty bad. I started to think, why bother, if they do such a bad job?

My girl first showed up with her friend who speaks great English, so we were okay, until her friend had to leave town. After that we struggled on with my Russian. She is probably going to learn English when she gets here, but I also want to keep learning Russian. I don't think it's selfish for me to also want to learn Russian, while she is learning English.

I think it shows a sign of initiative, a person who isn't afraid of the unknown, who wants to attain goals despite obstacles, for that person to strike out, not knowing English, to try to communicate. I know she is running my e-mail through Prompt, same as I am doing hers. When we are together, it will only be a few months before we are both fluent in the others' languages.  

I have been studying Russian for about 3000 years. I own Pimsleurs 1& 2, Rosetta Stone 1 & 2, Barron's Russian, Fast and Easy Russian, Language now versions 3, 4 5 & 8, & I think I am missing one or two.  After all that effort, I could not say hello to someone.   It is not always all that easy.

Me, too. Ditto, it doesn't seem to help that much. But, subliminally, I think it does. Just remember that all that vocabulary is being stored somewhere in your brain, and it can't be erased or lost. It will all "click in" someday. Do you vocalize the phrases as you listen? Even that helps, (if a driver talking to himself scares the other drivers away, then you have more room on the highway for yourself.:))

In January, I started two courses in adult night school and at the comm. college. This is much better, because you have to do homework, cram for tests, you get feedback, and you speak to others.

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
English course for her?
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2005, 08:09:29 AM »
I think it shows a sign of initiative, a person who isn't afraid of the unknown, who wants to attain goals despite obstacles, for that person to strike out, not knowing English, to try to communicate.

Now, if you are sure for 100% with a goal she tries attain such badly.......

Let's find in your ABBY the translation

двигаться целеустремленно к цели

и

переть напролом к цели:D

and see a differenсe

English course for her?
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2005, 11:34:53 AM »
Хоть головой об стену бейся.

It's been my experience that if I just keep banging my head against the кирпичную стену, sooner or later the wall will topple.
:)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2005, 11:35:00 AM by fairbro »

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
English course for her?
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2005, 11:51:03 AM »
Good luck for you Fairbro and for your iron forehead:D

Russian is not such easy to learn like English. I have not idea how you are going to understand 6 cases in Russian language (subjective case-genitive  - dative  -accusative  - instrumental  -prepositional:P:P:P)

Offline Bruno

English course for her?
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2005, 02:17:08 PM »
Elena, you can be happy that English is a easy languages... it is not without reason it is become the first language of the world... sorry, second after chinese...

And about complex language, ask a little to your daughter about the grammatic from the french language... this is a sh*t language to learn... you almost never write what you say, some word have more that 5 signification in function of context, some gramatic is for only speak , other only for write... for each grammatic rule, we have a lot of exception...

Try to understand the 12 case the more used in French ( indicatif présent, indicatif passé compossé, indicatif futur simple, indicatif imparfait, indicatif passé simple, consitionel présent, subjonctif present, subjonctif passé, subjonctif imparfait, imperatif présent, participe présent, participe passé )... and if you wish all, the total of case are 19...

Long life to simple language like English...

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
English course for her?
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2005, 02:46:05 PM »
[user=134]Photo Guy[/user] wrote:
She can't speak English.   !!!
Everything else is great so far, but I've been surfing
the net for a course on CD for her to learn English.
There are plenty of 'Learn Russian' materials, but
what is there for vice versa?

I may send her the course
I have for learning Russian phrases, on CD. On that
CD you hear a guy say 'Good morning' and then
a woman says 'Dobray Utre' twice. That may be good
enough to get her started. ...Any advice?  -doug

Doug,

Here is a good one -- http://www.esl.net/pimsleur_esl.html.

- Dan

Offline Turboguy

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
English course for her?
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2005, 04:22:32 PM »
Pimsleur courses are pretty good.  I have two of them.  Russian I and II.  Can't say I learned much but that is me not the course.   If she is still there she could probably get great selections of English courses for next to nothing at some of the stands in the underpasses.   Learning english is popular there and there are some great bargains.

Offline Vaughn

• Trips: No Selection
English course for her?
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2005, 04:37:13 PM »
Doug,

Dan is correct - Pimsleur is excellent. Another
good resource is Ilona Davidova's Express Method,
which includes a booklet and a barrage of cassettes.
My wife was able to find a copy in Russia for 300
rubles, and it's an excellent study guide. VERY
difficult to obtain stateside, but over in the FSU
it's available if she digs hard enough.

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
English course for her?
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2005, 08:18:21 PM »
Ilona Davidova's Express Method,
full rubbish (let ask any English teacher here)   It's nothing except good PR action, THAT's why now you have to dig hard to find Ilona HERE:P:P. We buried her very deeply:D

Как научить Вашего попугая разговаривать по методу Илоны Давыдовой (pick up from http://www.kulichki.com/prikol/prlitera/konkurs/popugai.html)

1. Установите клетку с попугаем на разделочном столе так, чтобы в поле зрения обучаемой птицы попали тушка курицы, сверкающий нож и раскаленная сковородка.
2. Не обращая внимания на попугая, задушевно обратитесь к курице: "Что-то ты в последнее время совсем плохая стала, все молчишь и молчишь", после чего сразу начинайте быструю разделку тушки, как можно выше занося нож и хекая при каждом ударе.

3. Попугая, потерявшего сознание, лучше всего сбрызнуть десятипроцентным раствором уксуса, посыпать его перцем и бросить в клетку лавровый листок. Еще лучше, если попугай, очнувшись, обнаружит себя политым "Анклом Бэнсом".

4. Когда попугай вторично придет в сознание, следует ласково сказать ему: "Яша у нас хоррроший! Яша у нас не упрррямый! Яша у нас - талант!",
при этом ваша рука должна небрежно лежать на клетке, а лезвие ножа проходить между ее прутьев.
5. После этого на кухне должен появиться ваш супруг и разыграть с вами следующую сценку:
Супруг (потряхивая кулинарной книгой): А что? Попугай еще не готов?
Вы: Милый, сегодня у нас на обед курица.
Супруг (открывая кулинарную книгу на разделе "Экзотические блюда"): А когда же попугай будет готов?
Вы: Что значит - готов?
Супруг (касаясь кривыми зубьями вилки тщедушного тела попугая): Ну, готов произнести свое первое слово?
Тут-то ваша сценка и будет прервана голосом из клетки, который, волнуясь, скажет: "Всегда готов!"

Таким образом, ваш попугай заговорил. Если же он все-таки не заговорил, то дальнейшая методика обучения изложена в книге Илоны Давыдовой "Экзотические блюда: экспресс-метод" (М., изд-во "Прогресс", 1995 г.)

English course for her?
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2005, 12:35:11 AM »
Was that the same Ilona who was later trampled to death trying to teach a herd of elephants Russian grammar?

The parrot got through noun endings for genitive case, but then went beserk trying to understand when to say Что-то and when to say что-нибудь.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 03:10:00 AM by fairbro »

Offline Vaughn

English course for her?
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2005, 08:23:56 AM »
Elen wrote: "full rubbish (let ask any English teacher here)"

OK, Elen, you win. THere are a dozen ladies I know here who listen to the lessons on their Walkmans, and I've noticed a big improvement. Full rubbish? With all due respect, their collective ability in English grammar rivals your own - and its widely used here as a supplement to ESL classes - what's your take on those?

Vaughn

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
English course for her?
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2005, 09:22:38 AM »
My dear I stadied English more than 20 years ago :D (though it was special English secondary school) After graduated I didn't use English at all (except the course in technical University. But it was only "technical" translation with it's own "grammar" and "vocabulary":?) And if I be THERE I'd beat that "dozen" of yours in one month:P

Ok! If Ilona is such good for your lades then good luck for them. I just wanted to say you that HERE her name became a "common noun"  for a situation in which people tried to get a "perfect" result with minumum efforts.

( I remeber students from language Universities even organised a "public" execution of Ilona and hung up her "scarecrow":P)

Offline Vaughn

English course for her?
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2005, 01:00:28 PM »
My dear I stadied English more than 20 years ago

И моя дорогая, I studied Russian about 33 years ago...Слова, которые вы пишете, сверкают в моей памяти как солнечные лучи, но я знаю где раки зимуют. Ваша проблема - высокомерие!
And if I be THERE I'd beat that "dozen" of yours in one month

Elen, I don't doubt that for a minute. With the traditional and intensive training I've had in your language, I also would knock the socks off anyone who took a Rapid-Style learn-it-quick Russian course. You and I both have the advantage of formal education in language - but my point is: there IS a place for courses like Davidova, particularly when someone with little or no language training emigrates, east or west, it doesn't matter - and they require some quick basics on which to build. The course has its place and value - and I never implied it was superior, or even close to a valid replacement for that which you and I know to be superior - a formal regimen of courses. The truth is, not everyone has that luxury of time nor opportunity; hence, we have Phrase Books, mini-dictionaries, Primsleur, and Davidova.
Of course, the ultimate teacher is the person on the street - there's no substitute for learning language at the local level, vs. textbooks, tapes and so forth.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 01:23:00 PM by Vaughn »

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
English course for her?
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2005, 09:34:05 PM »
И моя дорогая, I studied Russian about 33 years ago

[/font]( I hope you didn't use method a-la Ilona)

[/size][/font]
Слова, которые вы пишете, сверкают в моей памяти как солнечные лучи,

Wonder:? may I tell you such "fine words" are not used in Russian language or it would be too arrogant act of me ?;)

но я знаю где раки зимуют.

Ok I can't help that. I just have to say something :D:D:D (for your own sake)

Word combination где раки зимуют is used only with the word show (показать) but not with the word know (знаю) . And saying показать кому-то, где раки зимуют means a promise to harm that "somebody" who you address that "promise" to  So if you already knew где раки зимуют then obviously somebody have "shown" you  that (Don't say it was I )

You should say to me Я знаю, откуда ветер дует (или ...откуда ноги растут)

Any way my advice(friendly one. without any kidding)  for you (all of you)

Don't use sayings and proverbs in Russian without BIG need. You will have enough troubles with Russian grammar without proverbs. Even if you do it right, it looks not "good" just because we don't use them such often in day-to-day conversations 

Ваша проблема - высокомерие!

Вот уж нет!:D  Моё высокомерие это - Ваша проблема :P:P
:P I'm fine with that:P

As for Rapid-Style learn-it-quick language courses.

To my arrogant mind they may take place only in the case with tourists who come to foreign country for one month. But those who are going to immigrate just must use something more "serious". And yes my arrogant mind refuses to understand women who rush to the West without any foreign language after couples letters written by interpreter.

Offline Vaughn

English course for her?
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2005, 08:21:57 AM »
So basically you disapprove of the whole process that must here are going through, or have gone through, and I respect your opinion. As for "I know where the crabs hibernate" (which, according to the Russian-English Oxford dictionary means, in rough context, "I wasn't born yesterday") I assume that you are more correct than my 30-year old dictionary, which, I admit, is no longer contemporary. Regardless, thanks for the little lesson - I do enjoy all pointers from native speakers...

Thanks again,  Vaughn

Offline Elen

• Alt Forum
English course for her?
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2005, 08:32:49 AM »
I'm at your service any time:D

Actually you are not the only one with Russian sayings here. It always funny to hear how EuroNews at our TV uses them:D:D

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541009
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1865
Total: 1876

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fianc - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fianc - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fianc - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fianc - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM