It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Need to know  (Read 2633 times)

Offline nicatnite

Need to know
« on: August 02, 2008, 11:33:06 AM »
 I would like to know how you can make sure that a name and address of a lady in Russia is for real and also how or what question you could  be ask to trip up a scammer if she is one  I have been writing to a lady for about 6 mouths and she seams to be on the leaval but as you know there always is a new scam. Ant help would be a help. thanks

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Need to know
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 11:57:24 AM »
Greetings and Welcome!

I don't think there is any foolproof ways for some service to provide a definite yes or no answer to your question whether she is a scammer or not.. after all, flower/picture delivery delivery services probably thrive off of such requests. I can probably best answer a question with a question:

When do you plan on getting on the airplane?

Offline Shadow

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 12:00:09 PM »
The best way to make sure is as BC said. Go there and find out for yourself.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline diverboy70

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 12:03:47 PM »
Have you talked to her on the phone yet? This will get you a much better feel about the lady.

If you have not yet, ask for her number and call her right away. A serious lady will not hesitate to give you her number after 6 months of e-mails.

Offline dogspot

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 12:08:10 PM »
Send her flowers. My lady gave me her home and work address early on in our correspondence. I surprised her after a couple months and sent her a 'friendship' bouquet. This verified that she was real.

Offline steviej

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 12:15:02 PM »
I would like to know how you can make sure that a name and address of a lady in Russia is for real and also how or what question you could  be ask to trip up a scammer if she is one  I have been writing to a lady for about 6 mouths and she seams to be on the leaval but as you know there always is a new scam. Ant help would be a help. thanks

6 months is a long time, too long, to just be writing. Have you called her? You should have been regularly on the telephone for at least 3 months by now, and as someone said above, you should probably have been over and back once by now. IMHO.

Don't be a keyboard romeo. Get on the plane - you won't regret it no matter what happens. There's good advice here about how to have a backup plan too, incase you disembark and realize everything about the main girl you came to see is wrong.

Offline SANDRO43

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 06:34:44 PM »
also how or what question you could  be ask to trip up a scammer if she is one
For inspiration, have a look at the Scam Card in the Scam Avoidance menu at left ;).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline nicatnite

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 11:06:35 AM »
To all who has replied to my I need to know thanks ,I should tell you that she lives in tula and that she has called me two times she says she has no phone at home and had to go and us a telegraph place to do so. I also told her that I did want to send her something in mail and her reply was that it most likely wouldn't get to her as mail is gone through. I did talk with the express mail people and they did say that they were having problems with mail over there. She dose what to come over hare and you know the scam things money ,but I find that Emailing back and forth for such a time as we have ,you would think that if she was a scammer she wouldn't was so much time even when I told her I wasn't rich and all that so I don't know what to think  She really has not done what most scammers do and she dose answer anything I ask and she wants to know more about here (USA) and doesn't talk about how bad she might have it just work at collage with kids and mom and dad. So I don't know what to think. Help

Offline Shadow

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 11:57:32 AM »
In Russia there are more cellphones as people. When she called you, did you get the number ? It may hold a clue as to her location.
Secondly, check the headers of e-mail. If she gets visa to the USA she must prove to have the money before she gets the visa.

So:
1. Do not send her money.
2. RW do not make phone calls to you. If they have no phone they will have a friend with a phone.
3. Do not send money.
4. Visit her. If you can not afford to visit her, forget about the whole thing.

Offline ConnerVT

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 02:46:07 PM »
How did you come to know of this lady?

Who contacted who first?

Offline steviej

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 09:06:24 PM »
In Russia there are more cellphones as people. When she called you, did you get the number ? It may hold a clue as to her location.
Secondly, check the headers of e-mail. If she gets visa to the USA she must prove to have the money before she gets the visa.

So:
2. RW do not make phone calls to you. If they have no phone they will have a friend with a phone.
3. Do not send money.

Excellent - agreed. One of the most significant things to me before I went to visit my wife the first time was all the phone calls we had. In the 2 months before I visited her, we spoke on the phone EVERYDAY, usually for a minimum of 1 hr, sometimes 2-3. In these "modern" times, the guys say the do the same thing with skype. You've got to get on the phone with this woman.

Alternatively, you could use what the guys call the "WMVM" approach. Have you read about that? There's lots of discussion about that here, and you should read it. Writing only emails for 6 months isn't necessarily moving anything forward.

Offline GreginGa

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 09:20:39 PM »

So:
3. Do not send money.

This is very good advice especially numbers 1. 2 and 4.

Offline Jumper

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 10:00:10 PM »

I agree with 99% of the advise,,
but with this,, you guys are killing me?lol

I agree MOST certainly have a phone or phone access..
if they can recieve a call,,
then  RW do call you (or certainly can?)
she called him twice.
they can call you..?? lol

sincere ones and insincere ones..
its no different than a sincere or insincere RW can email you.

i can't count the number of RW that called me, back then..
and yes i met some of them..

and yes many, though having their own phones,or neighbors with phones, or own cell phones,
still went to a *telephone place* ( i forget the names but i've used those places  myself when there)
 to place the call as it wasnt far from them,,and the rates where  much more affordable there than thru their home service or mobile service providers.

One very beautiful and smart RW (st pete engineer) called me within one email..
(no numbers had been exchanged)
 had looked up my name in google ,so eaily got the address  , and the number 
(as well as google earthed my house and knew my likely route to work..lol)
It isnt that hard to look this type of thing up..and she was playing with me a bit,,but yeah they CAN  and do certainly call you.??

small point i guess

Offline Shadow

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 12:47:31 AM »
AJ I have to agree that there is a possibility RW will call from a telephone center, as they get a better rate from home or cell phones.
However the sincere ones that to not have a phone, cellphone or the ability to receive mail yet can make calls to you will be quite rare.

Remember that 99% of scams started with real events that were just copied to impress victims. ;)

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541387
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 3932
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 3160
Total: 3169

+-Recent Posts

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine by krimster2
Today at 07:36:35 AM

Re: Navigating the longest story ever told by Stirlitz
Today at 02:18:56 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Stirlitz
Today at 02:12:24 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Trenchcoat
Today at 01:56:55 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:07:31 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 11:31:49 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Manny
Yesterday at 11:07:15 AM

Re: international travel by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:50:04 AM

Re: international travel by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 08:20:37 AM

Re: Trippin........... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 08:06:00 AM