It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: We're not as smart as we thougt.  (Read 2569 times)

Offline DaveNY

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
We're not as smart as we thougt.
« on: May 27, 2018, 10:45:26 AM »
10 simple questions on science and engineering. None of these questions requires a college degree in science or engineering to understand. My wife and I, both have science degrees, had no problems and got all correct.

How did the USA population do? Surprisingly well. We often hear in the news how stupid the US population is in comparison to Japan, China and India yet on this test we beat these 3 countries, some rather badly. We did lose to Canada, the winner. We also lost to #2 Israel, #3 the EU and #4 South Korea. Finishing fifth of eleven in a general knowledge science and engineering quiz isn't bad especially when you consider we beat China, India and Japan..

http://www.businessinsider.com/science-questions-quiz-public-knowledge-education-2018-5

Every two years, the National Science Foundation is required to tell the president how the US is doing in regard to science and engineering.

"As economies worldwide grow increasingly knowledge-intensive and interdependent, capacity for innovation becomes ever more critical," the NSF says in its latest report, titled
"Science & Engineering Indicators 2018."

The news is OK, but not great. Americans are increasingly interested in environmental issues, the report says, and relative to previous years, they're expressing more concern
about climate change and humanity's role in it. They also trust scientists more than roles in any other institution aside from the military.

But the US lags behind dozens of countries in the rate of awarding bachelor's and advanced degrees in science, technology, math, or engineering.

The American public also isn't doing much better on 10 simple questions the NSF asks to test the public's understanding of science.

Scroll down to see the questions the NSF asked for the latest report, see how many answers you can get right, and then compare how 11 countries who asked the same science questions performed.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 11:30:14 AM by SANDRO43 »

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
Re: We're not as smart as we thougt.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 11:25:58 AM »
simple test...
but in the USA we have school districts where > 90% cannot pass basic reading and math literacy test
so I would question the number for the usa, it seems high to me, what particular geographics/demographics were involved
in some parts of the country, many of our esteemed citizens wouldn't even be capable of reading the test, let alone answering it...

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 11:42:32 AM »
simple test...
but in the USA we have school districts where > 90% cannot pass basic reading and math literacy test
so I would question the number for the usa, it seems high to me, what particular geographics/demographics were involved
in some parts of the country, many of our esteemed citizens wouldn't even be capable of reading the test, let alone answering it...

Agreed there are definitely parts of the US where just reading the quiz would be a problem. Same problem in parts of China, India and Russia also. I really surprised Japan and Switzerland did so bad. Japan has always been shown to do so well in the STEM areas of testing. Switzerland is such a rich country with a well educated population why did they not beat the US? 

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 12:08:30 PM »
How did the USA population do? Surprisingly well. We often hear in the news how stupid the US population is in comparison to Japan, China and India yet on this test we beat these 3 countries, some rather badly. We did lose to Canada, the winner. We also lost to #2 Israel, #3 the EU and #4 South Korea. Finishing fifth of eleven in a general knowledge science and engineering quiz isn't bad especially when you consider we beat China, India and Japan..

Having high intelligence among citizens is great but education in a country is not as important as a nation's system to allow people to excel. That is where America is by far and away #1.

America needs people will low education to flip burgers at McDonald's and keep menu items at $1 in price. We also need farm labor. We don't need those people to spend 8 years in college wasting time when they could be productive in the work force. Low cost food benefits all in this nation and immigrants help out with that. Our agricultural industry also feeds many other nations for their benefit. We could reduce down to a small agricultural industry like Switzerland and increase the average intelligence level of American citizens but that would be a bad thing.

US citizens and immigrants benefit from the environment America provides for them to excel. We want citizens and immigrants like Einstein to come here and be all they can be.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline SANDRO43

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 04:35:30 PM »
10 simple questions on science and engineering...My wife and I, both have science degrees, had no problems and got all correct.
So did I - without a science degree - and Italy is not even in the chart :( :D.
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 04:40:40 PM »
America needs people will low education to flip burgers at McDonald's and keep menu items at $1 in price. We also need farm labor.
Yes, re-educate your Blacks to the joy of cotton fields, and keep Mexicans from encroaching on their God-given mission ::).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 04:53:46 PM »
Yes, re-educate your Blacks to the joy of cotton fields, and keep Mexicans from encroaching on their God-given mission ::).

Most of those jobs can already be automated or soon will be. Picking cotton was automated over 50 years ago and as for the jobs that supposedly employ illegals they're rapidly declining.

More and more fast food outlets are using automated kiosks to place orders and take payments. Automated machines are being developed to prepare the food. Give it a decade and Big Macs will be prepared by automation rather than humans.
e
Uber is testing automated cars, as is Google and others. Another decade or two and there go human jobs for taxis, couriers and such. Maybe even jobs for drivers of 18 wheelers. Think how many people that will leave unemployed?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 07:04:43 PM by DaveNY »

Offline ML

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2018, 04:56:16 PM »
I got all correct, but had to give good guess to one question.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline JayH

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2018, 04:57:13 PM »

How did the USA population do? Surprisingly well.

They must have  shown the answers to them prior to test ! :) :welcome:
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2018, 06:43:23 PM »
So did I - without a science degree - and Italy is not even in the chart :( :D.

Ditto!  And New Zealand isn't on the chart, either.

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2018, 07:11:40 PM »
My wife was really surprised by how bad Russia did, 33%. All her friends, male and female, have university degrees. My wife taught high school math and physics and according to her the most difficult questions were at no more than grade 9 or 10 level for Russia science classes.

She was saying that most of the participants for this quiz couldn't have come from large cities with good universities. They must have been from smaller cities and towns outside of Moscow and Spb.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2018, 10:13:58 PM »

People are free to get educated or forgo education in America. No pressure. There's a purpose and  job for everybody here.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2018, 10:34:06 PM »
My wife was really surprised by how bad Russia did, 33%. All her friends, male and female, have university degrees. My wife taught high school math and physics and according to her the most difficult questions were at no more than grade 9 or 10 level for Russia science classes.

She was saying that most of the participants for this quiz couldn't have come from large cities with good universities. They must have been from smaller cities and towns outside of Moscow and Spb.

Most of those questions are grade 7 & 8 in the part of Canada where I live.  I think the only one that is not is the evolution question, which is a grade 10 unit.

My husband says your wife likely lived in a bubble, with parents who are "Soviet middle class", and all her friends are educated.  He said he is not surprised by the result, he could ask the same questions in Moscow and would not be surprised to get a 33% response.  He also said "and in this bubble, many are quite ditzy as well". 

This is who conducted the survey in Russia -

http://www.hse.ru/

I highly doubt those in big cities were not included.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2018, 11:45:00 PM »
Most of those questions are grade 7 & 8 in the part of Canada where I live.  I think the only one that is not is the evolution question, which is a grade 10 unit.

My husband says your wife likely lived in a bubble, with parents who are "Soviet middle class", and all her friends are educated.  He said he is not surprised by the result, he could ask the same questions in Moscow and would not be surprised to get a 33% response.  He also said "and in this bubble, many are quite ditzy as well". 

This is who conducted the survey in Russia -

http://www.hse.ru/

I highly doubt those in big cities were not included.

There are definitely places in Moscow and Spb where one can find those with little education. Moscow has plenty of residents who are from the countryside, from the stans and the illegals. Among these groups of people I wouldn't be surprised with a result of 33%.

However for those who have completed high school in Moscow I'd find a result of 33% difficult to comprehend. My wife is equally as baffled. According to her anyone who has completed high school in Russia should get at least 80% on the quiz.

Of course I say the same thing for anyone who has completed high school in the US and I know for a fact that there are students who not only don't know what electrons and atoms (#5) are, they couldn't read and understand the questions to begin with.   

Offline BillyB

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2018, 09:02:13 AM »
However for those who have completed high school in Moscow I'd find a result of 33% difficult to comprehend. My wife is equally as baffled. According to her anyone who has completed high school in Russia should get at least 80% on the quiz.

It's possible more and more people are seeing Russia doesn't provide an environment that allows them to maximize their talents so why study? How well kids study also depends on how hard parents push. Maybe there's less pushing going on.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541000
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1889
Total: 1900

+-Recent Posts

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM