It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: What is actually, currently required for a Russian lady to visit US/Canada?  (Read 8862 times)

Offline smile11

Hello :)  I am minutes-new to this forum, and have been looking for something like this because...............I've been chatting with a delightful Russian lady [at least I hope that's whom I've been chatting with........] and we've recently been discussing the possibility of her coming over for a visit.  Yes, I've read the stuff about scams; yes it could be.  So the first step in the face of uncertainty is to acquire knowledge, hence my question:  What is actually, currently required for a Russian lady to obtain a tourist visa to the US and/or Canada?  There was a nice section on this in the FAQ section, but it was dated 2006, and I was wondering if anyone could either confirm validity, provide an update, or direct me to where I might best find the info? 

Thanks to all; wishing you blessings and joy in all you do :)

Offline Turboguy

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
I have never done it but if you Google the photos and letters the gal has sent you it might give you a pretty good indication of if the gal is real. 
For her to visit you she needs a tourist visa or some kind of visa.  It is not easy to do.  She needs to show enough ties to her country to convince them that she will likely return.  If she owns property, has some family and a good job there is a chance she can get the visa.  It is probably about 20%. 
It is far easier and better for you to visit her the first time.   
May I ask how  you came into contact with her.  It might help us tell you the odds of her being real.

Offline smile11

Hi Turboguy :)  Thanks for the reply :)
"Met" her on Match - I initiated the contact.  Big red flag was she listed as being from a town about 100 miles from me, then after first exchange of emails, she's in Russia.  But I enjoy talking to people anyway, so I figured, why not. [Now, I digress for a moment from this particular lady.  I have chatted before with ladies who invariably followed a pattern of initial interest, already coming to the US for some reason, pictures with less and less clothing attached to more and more promises, and finally a need for unexpected financial assistance within days of her expected travel.  NOT this one....].  We've been exchanging mails close to daily for about 6 weeks. 
They are always tasteful and sensitive - she portrays as someone I would genuinely like to know, whether as a friend or something more.  She asks questions, answers all of my questions, personally - there is no sense of boilerplate in the exchanges.  Recognizing that nothing is real until it is in person, she seems someone I would like to meet, and am sorting out the most realistic way to do so.  Tried the "scam-meter" questionnaire on this site, and it suggests "perhaps she is real".  Soooooooo.............doing due diligence to investigate.  I think you may be right, tho - I might be more realistic for me to make the trip over there first.  Have been planning to visit some places in Europe anyway in the near future, and it would seem [I hesitate to say without having investigated first] like it might be easier to add St Petersburg as a destination - heard it's beautiful & would love to see it anyway - & meet her there..........& if she's not real, doesn't show or whatever, I enjoy the trip anyway. If the tourist visa for her were easier, though, it would be much easier to fly her here.

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
We've been exchanging mails close to daily for about 6 weeks. 

6 weeks and you don't know if you've been trading love letters with a guy or girl? You've got to move faster. Get the phone number and/or chat on Skype. Surely a woman who is crazy to see you will want to hear your voice on a regular basis. Keep in mind, if you both can't hold a conversation on the phone or Skype, you probably can't hold one in real life so no sense wasting time and money meeting each other.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline smile11

LOL :)  Thank you :) I do tend to move slowly and methodically :)  And I *like* writing - perhaps a bit old fashioned; I think things move at a somewhat slower pace when writing, and it's easier to get to know someone more thoroughly.  With phone or Skype, especially at first, it's too easy to get drawn into the excitement of the moment.  I prefer establishing a foundation first.   And I tend to trust people.  But yes, I had anticipated Skyping in the near future :)  Before anything will actually be done, verification is necessary - looking for best ways to do all of this led me to this site.

Until the meeting is in person, it's all in the mind. And it is well known that, anything we imagine vividly enough, the mind processes as if it were real :)  The letters have been so enjoyable [hopefully from the lady I think they are from; if not, the writer writes very well - so at worst, as if writing an interactive story with someone :) ], that I have been just enjoying them for what they are.  I'm not lonely.  I'm not desperate.  I'm exploring possibilities :)

Offline smile11

.................and, I should have added, I'm not in a hurry.  I've found, [through painful experience, unfortunately], that things tend to work out for the best when we let them evolve without expectations, neither pushing them or holding them back.  Most pain results from deciding ahead of time how something is going to be instead of being aware and in the moment and knowing and accepting what it is :)

Offline BillyB

I'm not in a hurry.

If the girl is real and really interested in meeting you, she's giving you the clue she's tired of the letter writing and want to move forward. Your move. More emailing is not the solution. If she's a quality woman, she won't last long.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
.................and, I should have added, I'm not in a hurry.  I've found, [through painful experience, unfortunately], that things tend to work out for the best when we let them evolve without expectations, neither pushing them or holding them back.  Most pain results from deciding ahead of time how something is going to be instead of being aware and in the moment and knowing and accepting what it is :)

As much as it pains me to say it, Billyb is right. Your excuse for not having already contacted her via phone or Skype is as dreamy as her/his letters and emails, isn't it? From your brief description you have more than some waving red flags. Oh yes, you're getting clubbed over the head my friend. You know you're being played but having more fun with the denial knowing you're receiving letters from Boris and getting a bit of wood. Eventually you'll come to the realization of the situation and understand you are doing nothing more than peeing in the bed. It feels all nice and warm when you don't realize what it is but eventually, you discover you're cold, wet and smell like piss.

Good luck there guy

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
I'm nowhere near as cynical as Faux Pas, but I do agree with the main point that he and BillyB are making - stop wasting time with emails.  No matter how much you like your dreamy "conversations," it's time to move on to the next stage.  Six weeks is way too much time for you to waste if it turns out that you don't like her hairstyle or that she does, in fact, turn out to be Boris, employee of the month.  If it turns out that she is NOT the one you thought, think of the time you could have been spending getting to know someone else (or several someones).  If she IS the one you want, again - you could have saved a month of Sundays if you had been a bit braver earlier on.

Given what has happened so far, there is no point at all in trying to get her to come to you first.  Go to meet her, but have a back-up plan (or ten) just in case she isn't real or doesn't dig you in real life (and make sure that all of them speak good English).  I'm glad that you're amenable to travel - getting a tourist visa to Russia should be a piece of cake, and I've stated several times on this forum that I believe St Petersburg to be the most beautiful city in the world.  Whatever you do, don't go with any expectations of having anything other than a really good sightseeing trip.  Anything else then becomes a bonus.

Learn the Russian alphabet so that you can figure out what's on the street signs when you get lost, and try to learn at least a few basic phrases.  Then cut loose!

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck.  :thumbsup:

Offline Shadow

To answer your question first, unless she has a good job that is guaranteed to take her back, family and other ties, chances are pretty low especially if the embassy gets to know the target of the visit.
If she has already a travel record to the EU or US (stamps in her passport) that will help her chances, also her paying for a ticked and having a hotel reservation is going to help a lot.

Remember that if she can not pay her own journey, chances that she will get a visa are very low.

The pointers about Skype are very valid. Even if it is sporadic, to see each other live does contribute a lot.

Before proceeding ask yourself if you are ready for this. You have a trip planned, and to obtain visa for Russia will be less hard for you as a visa to the USA for her. Question is, how long will it take, and what can you do to keep her interested.
Also will you be able to make frequent follow-up trips, as a long distance relationship always includes travel, and two weeks a year will not be enough.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline Turboguy

The odds of you being able to get a visa to go to Russia are about 99.9%.  The odds of her being able to get a visa to visit you are in the range of 2%-20% depending on the details of her circumstances.   If she has an average job, has never traveled to Europe or the USA and doesn't have minor kids that would be staying there then figure 2%. 

Most of the girls from Russia who are on Match.com are real.  The problem is that the girl in the photo is not the one you are writing to.  They are a model or something like that who has had her photos stolen and you could be writing to a 60 year old guy or a 60 Y.O. fat woman who is using their photos.  Match normally blocks profiles from the FSU as far as I know.  That doesn't mean there isn't a chance she is real.  One session on Skype would clear that up.

St Petersburg is a beautiful city. I have been there several times.  It is also possible to find some nice women there who would be willing to meet you on short notice if your dream girl falls through.  I would say figure on meeting her in S.P.   If she is fine with that the odds are a little better that she is real. 

Online Faux Pas

The chances of this woman actually being genuine are about -20%. I'm pretty sure smiley knows it, too. Most likely that is the reason he's here. If truth wasn't stranger than fiction I'd call smiley a planted troll. However, too much of his OP we've all seen before. The fact that she is on Match.com, still in Russia, giving a fake location on the profile, content with writing dreamy letters until she comes to him is that proverbial club. It's Boris and why you folks wish to give him a slither of hope that he's different or that she's different is beyond me. I'm finding it hilarious and sad. Is this what we've stooped to?

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
.................and, I should have added, I'm not in a hurry.  I've found, [through painful experience, unfortunately], that things tend to work out for the best when we let them evolve without expectations, neither pushing them or holding them back.  Most pain results from deciding ahead of time how something is going to be instead of being aware and in the moment and knowing and accepting what it is

Stating the type of man you are in your posts, I strongly disagree with everyone.

I think *you* should remain doing things you're currently doing. Stay on the *writing* level for if you truly are *very interested* in this *woman* you're writing to, what's the point of rushing into things, right? If it ain't broke, no sense fixing it. Or, how'bout, *if you're getting the milk for free, why skype with it, too?* right?

So yeah man...take your time. Purchase one of those sequoia seeds they sell in California and plant it in a pot. It should grow to about 300' tall around its 1,000th year budding anniversary. Set yourself a schedule plan. Don't make any *relationship* plans with this *gal* until that tree gets to about 10' tall. On average, that should give you plenty of time to really make sure she's into you.

After all, many here will tell you that a man needs a whole lot of patience relating with a FSUW, and FSUW just oozes with love for men like these.

Certain guys (like you) just really need to chill and not rush into things, man. You can save a whole lot of money and angst doing things *your* way. So come back in roughly 30 years or so and let the board know how things are going with *this gal*, OK? Someone should still be here, I reckon. Men in their late 30s and early 40s today ought to be deep into the MOB by then.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 08:58:15 AM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline pokerintherear

Why worry about a Visa. Fly her into a Northern Mexican city and pick her up in Southern Texas. She might want to pack her swim suit. It might be needed to swim across the Rio Grande.

Offline Turboguy

The chances of this woman actually being genuine are about -20%.

When I made my first post in the thread and asked him where he had met her, I did think about phrasing the question a little differently.  I did think about saying "Did you meet her on Match.com?   That was because I had a feeling she wasn't real and that most all the RW on match.com end up being scammers.

The only good part about the Boris guys on Match.com pretending to be young attractive Russian women is sometimes the stir up some interest in guys to meet real Russian women and once they get past Boris do go about the search in the right way and find a good women in the FSU. 

Offline ML

Turbo:  "The only good part about the Boris guys on Match.com pretending to be young attractive Russian women is sometimes the stir up some interest in guys to meet real Russian women and once they get past Boris do go about the search in the right way and find a good women in the FSU. "

Or, maybe go off onto a different path with Boris.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 01:04:08 PM by ML »
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Photo Guy

• Trips: 1 - 3

Offline supraman

My first ever scammer experience  was just how you describe - local site ,, one letter , then -- oh I am in Russia . My advice is- a relationship that starts with a lie is not good and to be honest only a silly woman or scammer would lure you in this way .   I will bet body parts that this is not what you believe it to be -- I am sorry , and I hope I am wrong ,,

Ps I also spoke with a Ukraine lady on a local dating site ,, BUT she wrote in her profile that she was in Ukraine -- So you see there is a difference between genuine and BS ,, I am sorry , but I smell BS on her part ..   Soon you will get the letter that she has "managed to get a visa as the agency had some spare "  But she needs a little money ..

Sorry if I come across harsh, but remember you can never be scammed if YOU NEVER SEND money to some one you have not met for real,,---Simple really ,, but so many fall into this trap ..So either sit back and watch it unfold , or drop it and move on .

PPS,, it is funny as it this first letter that is possibly responsible for me looking further into the overseas relationships and  in just under 1 month  I will be married to a FSU lady :)  .  And just like ML had just said   I am one of these men too .

Offline Chicagoguy

Wrote a good number of women over the years but never one who wanted to come here.

Offline Lily

• Trips: Resident
   What is actually, currently required for a Russian lady to obtain a tourist visa to the US and/or Canada?    :)

The best source of information on what is required for a Russian person to obtain a tourist visa is the official website of the respective US and /or Canadian visa office.  ;)  Would that be what you wanted to know?

On the match.com for the Eastern European partner seekers. A few years ago, no one with a Russian IP address was even able to register a profile on match.com. The reason was a high relationships scam from that part of the world. Not sure whether it has changed since then. To circumvent this, some industrous Russian women asked a Northern American friends to register them from their computers.

My question would be, how did that woman got on match.com?
Da, da, Canada; Nyet, nyet, Soviet!

Offline Wayne

If match.com has a drop-down list of cities you can chose from, perhaps Russian cities are not listed, so the person just chose any city on the list.

The river bed of the Rio Grande is almost dry in places. The water all gets used for farming. I don't think you need to swim to cross it.

Offline Doll

Offline steveboy

• Commercial Member Restricted
  • Trips: Resident

6 weeks and you don't know if you've been trading love letters with a guy or girl? You've got to move faster. Get the phone number and/or chat on Skype. Surely a woman who is crazy to see you will want to hear your voice on a regular basis. Keep in mind, if you both can't hold a conversation on the phone or Skype, you probably can't hold one in real life so no sense wasting time and money meeting each other.

Any guy exchanging emails for 6 weeks as the only form of communication????? We are in the 21st century!! Not the 1980's!
How old are you? 95?? lol

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541319
Total Topics: 20860
Most Online Today: 3934