It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Trench's Questions and Philosophies  (Read 476806 times)

Offline Sting23

• Banned Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Trench's Questions and Philosophies
« Reply #825 on: March 05, 2018, 02:02:01 AM »
???  and that isn't being petulant ?

I have no idea whether Trench is physically 'attractive' or not - and I'm sure you've not seen how he looks.

Let's keep the harsh comments to some the stuff he writes - ( with reasoned ripostes)  rather than how he MIGHT look, eh ?

Look up the meaning of "petulant"... as usual you got it wrong. I was being brutally honest. 

Some members here have alerted me to Trench's identity on certain public websites.  And the info corresponded to the city that Trench says he is from.  So if that's true then I have seen his photos.  I will say it was an unsolicted message from a member.  I don't care who Trench is. 

The physical appearance isn't even the biggest factor.  Are you an intelligent, well-spoken and a fun guy to be around?  If yes then you'll have plenty of girls interested in talking to you even if you don't look so hot. 

I've never heard Trench talk before but going by what he writes I can see how people get turned off by it.  Certainly most people here do.

Offline Sting23

• Banned Member
« Reply #826 on: March 05, 2018, 02:19:33 AM »
So Trench have you bought your plane ticket and booked a hotel for St Petersburg or Moscow yet?  It's March now, spring time will be here in Russia in a month or 2. 

And have you messaged any new girls?  My feeling is probably not on all fronts.

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #827 on: March 05, 2018, 02:28:12 AM »
Some members here have alerted me to Trench's identity on certain public websites.  And the info corresponded to the city that Trench says he is from.  So if that's true then I have seen his photos.  I will say it was an unsolicted message from a member.

Trench has never posted which city he is from, just that it’s in the southern UK.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Boethius

« Reply #828 on: March 05, 2018, 02:30:18 AM »
moby your problem is you think you know everything, "TELLING" others..haha.  Get a life dude.  My info was correct.  If you don't believe it that's your problem. 

You ain't the only one who's gotten a Russian visa before.  And you have never worked in Russia on a proper work visa.  I have.  I've done interviews with many schools and gone through the process, from letter of invitation to application.  Pretty sure I know more about getting a job in Russia than you do.  Besides I thought you were from Ireland not the UK.  Or are they one and the same now?

You were both correct, just posting about different information.

moby is from Northern Ireland.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Sting23

• Banned Member
« Reply #829 on: March 05, 2018, 03:05:41 AM »
Trench has never posted which city he is from, just that it’s in the southern UK.

Right, I rechecked. It was another poster who alluded to his location.  And even posted a photo of Trench on this thread!  That photo is still up by the way, don't know if mods want to take it down or if Trench doesn't mind.  Now how that poster figured out who Trench is I have no idea.  But he gave me enough info that gave it credibility and certainty that it's him.

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #830 on: March 05, 2018, 03:20:05 AM »
My info was correct.  If you don't believe it that's your problem. 

NO - your info was duff - even concerning a work Visa

You ain't the only one who's gotten a Russian visa before.  And you have never worked in Russia on a proper work visa.  I have. 

As a UK citizen applicant ?

Thank you...

I've done interviews with many schools and gone through the process, from letter of invitation to application.  Pretty sure I know more about getting a job in Russia than you do.  Besides I thought you were from Ireland not the UK.  Or are they one and the same now?

Sadly, for your misinfo - I was at an advanced stage of applying for a work visa for Russia.  I didn't submit it as our plans changed

You'll note Boethius is FAR more attentive than you

I have dual nationality - Irish and British - most - but not all - of my applications have been as British - there was a time when it WAS possible to have concurrent Visas - so as one expired - I could re-enter on another passport

'Dude' listen and learn - rather than posting daft

Offline Sting23

• Banned Member
« Reply #831 on: March 05, 2018, 03:36:06 AM »

NO - your info was duff - even concerning a work Visa

As a UK citizen applicant ?

You'll note Boethius is FAR more attentive than you

I have dual nationality - Irish and British - most - but not all - of my applications have been as British - there was a time when it WAS possible to have concurrent Visas - so as one expired - I could re-enter on another passport

'Dude' listen and learn - rather than posting daft

Show me exactly what I wrote regarding work visas that was wrong.  You won't find it.

As Canada is a Commonwealth country it has basically the same visas issued from Russia as for the UK.  Typical is a 1 year work visa.  I interviewed directly with several UK expats who ran their own English school in Moscow.  They know what type of visa to get for their teachers whether they are from UK, Canada, USA, Australia...

now why would I waste my time paying attention to you, all you post is "duff and daft"..funny British words I might add.  Try saying that to  even a native English speaker outside the UK and you'll get blank stares.  Most internet vernacular is in American English not British. 

I can't keep track if you're from Ireland, Northern Ireland, UK, Isle of Man or what not.  And frankly I don't care where you're from.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #832 on: March 05, 2018, 04:02:45 AM »
Show me exactly what I wrote regarding work visas that was wrong.  You won't find it.

You're comparing apples and oranges.  You were referring to work visas, moby was referring to business visas.  You understand the requirements for these visas are different?
now why would I waste my time paying attention to you, all you post is "duff and daft"..funny British words I might add.  Try saying that to  even a native English speaker outside the UK and you'll get blank stares.  Most internet vernacular is in American English not British. 

But moby's not American. :)   I have no problem understanding most (not all, but most) UK slang.  Daft, BTW, is commonly used in most of Canada.  You should know that as an English teacher. 

Incidentally, almost everyone here, including Americans, uses "flat" rather than "apartment", which definitely is British, not American.

I can't keep track if you're from Ireland, Northern Ireland, UK, Isle of Man or what not.  And frankly I don't care where you're from.

Then why did you bring it up?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 04:09:16 AM by Boethius »

Offline Sting23

• Banned Member
« Reply #833 on: March 05, 2018, 04:08:55 AM »

You're comparing apples and oranges.  You were referring to work visas, moby was referring to business visas.  You understand the requirements for these visas are different?
But moby's not American. :)   I have no problem understanding most (not all, but most) UK slang.  Daft, incidentally, is commonly used in most of Canada.  You should know that as an English teacher. 

Then why did you bring it up?

No I was referring to business visas for the 90 day and 1 year.  I lived in the UK for a time.  Could barely figure out their slang.  Like "fag" for cigarette.  How did that happen.

Maybe daft is used in your part of Canada but not mine.  No one says that word here and you'll get blank stares.  As for teaching English, slang is the last thing to cover.  You ever heard a Russian say " are you daft mate?"...I haven't. 

Offline Boethius

« Reply #834 on: March 05, 2018, 04:22:21 AM »

No I was referring to business visas for the 90 day and 1 year.  I lived in the UK for a time.  Could barely figure out their slang.  Like "fag" for cigarette.  How did that happen.

If you were referring to business visas, then moby's information was correct.  I looked it up to confirm. 

"Fag" as slang for cigarette dates back to the 19th century, predating its derogatory use for homosexual men.  "Faggot" was used in England as a derogatory term referring to women, and that may be how the term entered the vernacular as a derogatory term for homosexual males.

Maybe daft is used in your part of Canada but not mine.  No one says that word here and you'll get blank stares.  As for teaching English, slang is the last thing to cover.  You ever heard a Russian say " are you daft mate?"...I haven't.

I'd get blank stares if I used words such as "hegemony" or "saiety" (the latter is an example from a couple days ago).  All that demonstrates is that the average person has a poor vocabulary.

It doesn't matter whether or not you are teaching the term to your students.  As a good teacher, you should be familiar with idiom in what presumably is your native tongue.

Offline Sting23

• Banned Member
« Reply #835 on: March 05, 2018, 04:41:29 AM »
If you were referring to business visas, then moby's information was correct.  I looked it up to confirm. 

"Fag" as slang for cigarette dates back to the 19th century, predating its derogatory use for homosexual men.  "Faggot" was used in England as a derogatory term referring to women, and that may be how the term entered the vernacular as a derogatory term for homosexual males.

I'd get blank stares if I used words such as "hegemony" or "saiety" (the latter is an example from a couple days ago).  All that demonstrates is that the average person has a poor vocabulary.

It doesn't matter whether or not you are teaching the term to your students.  As a good teacher, you should be familiar with idiom in what presumably is your native tongue.

My info regarding visas didn't contradict his, I just didnt' say the 90/180 day for the 1 yr. 

I am guessing you've never taught English to 5 or 6 years olds who have never spoken a word of English.  Nor to corporate clients who need concise language to communicate, not idioms. 

If I rattle off some sports idioms you probably have no clue what I'm talking about. "keep it 100, aight. that was sick like the flu, he got posterized, brotha got some street in 'em., drop da ball" ... and you gotta say it with that authentic sports broadcaster voice.  Try listening to some hip-hop music and see if you understand.  I am guessing not.

Idioms are about the last thing a language learner needs.  They need fundamentals.

Offline Sting23

• Banned Member
« Reply #836 on: March 05, 2018, 04:47:34 AM »
Anyways this is Trench's thread and I don't wanna derail it.  I'm at least trying to give the guy advice on how to get a date in Russia.  I don't hear anyone else doing much.  Moby's so concerned about visa details for UK citizens.  The only UK people who post regularly are him and Trench.  Most of the other guys are from North America, Europe or Australia and NZ.

So he's getting all worked up over nothing.  He should spend more time helping out his fellow comrade Trench.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #837 on: March 05, 2018, 04:55:29 AM »
My info regarding visas didn't contradict his, I just didnt' say the 90/180 day for the 1 yr. 

Which I addressed in the initial post.

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=22008.msg478347#msg478347

But from there, the discussion morphed.
I am guessing you've never taught English to 5 or 6 years olds who have never spoken a word of English.  Nor to corporate clients who need concise language to communicate, not idioms. 

No, but I did teach 3 children how to speak.

I communicate with corporate clients daily, both verbally and in writing.  My communications with them are very concise, as they have to be, both for understanding/clarity and to ensure I don't get sued.  But that doesn't mean I can't understand idioms.
If I rattle off some sports idioms you probably have no clue what I'm talking about. "keep it 100, aight. that was sick like the flu, he got posterized, brotha got some street in 'em., drop da ball" ... and you gotta say it with that authentic sports broadcaster voice.  Try listening to some hip-hop music and see if you understand.  I am guessing not.

I  have 3 children, so I suspect I would understand.  I have been subjected to more hip hop/rap music (which I generally do not enjoy) than I wish.

Idioms are about the last thing a language learner needs.  They need fundamentals.

That wasn't my point.  Read what I wrote.  You, as the teacher, should know these things, whether or not your students need them or are going to learn them.

Anyways this is Trench's thread and I don't wanna derail it.  I'm at least trying to give the guy advice on how to get a date in Russia.  I don't hear anyone else doing much.  Moby's so concerned about visa details for UK citizens.  The only UK people who post regularly are him and Trench.  Most of the other guys are from North America, Europe or Australia and NZ.

So he's getting all worked up over nothing.  He should spend more time helping out his fellow comrade Trench.

This is a thread split off from Trench derailing other threads.  So, it doesn't matter.

Trench has met UW, two that we know of, and went on vacation with one of them, so I don't think he requires advice on how to get a date.  I don't wish him ill will, but I really don't see him developing a long term successful relationship with a FSUW because of his mentality.

There are a significant number of UK lurkers here.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:00:50 AM by Boethius »

Offline Sting23

• Banned Member
« Reply #838 on: March 05, 2018, 05:13:23 AM »
No, a teacher doesn't need to know idioms to be a good teacher.  When's the last time you said "it's raining cats and dogs".   Not sure why you even brought it up.  Slang and idioms are very localized and specific.  They can be for sports, music, theatre, finance...anything.

Cryptocurrency and Bitcoin is a hot topic these days.  Block chain, private key, digital wallet are all part of the lexicon.  What language learners need is proper definitions for terminology.  Not random words that have no intrinsic meaning.

Offline msmob

« Reply #839 on: March 05, 2018, 05:14:18 AM »

You spoke of 'illegality' re using an agent to get a work permit ? So, is it 'illegal' to get an invite from a  firm in Russia - that you've never heard of to get a Biz visa - or the same re a hotel voucher - for a RU tourist visa ?

As Canada is a Commonwealth country it has basically the same visas issued from Russia as for the UK.

No - that is not the criteria Russia sets to decide VISAs - the UK / IRL are ( currently)  EU member states  - Ireland is not a Commonwealth member - this is 101 stuff - WHY do you continually post SO daft ?

I make NO apology for using English - as spoken by a Brit / Irish person in everyday life.  Your 'English' is a 'dumbed down' version used by immigrants who spelt English phonetically ;)

This is just another example of your inattentiveness and don't worry - my 'feelinz' aren't hurt by your 'disinterest' ... 

It's already clear that you have no wish to learn, your ability to post misleading info and need to 'hit back' when your (incorrect) 'info' is busted / questioned ;)

Offline Boethius

« Reply #840 on: March 05, 2018, 05:16:31 AM »
He wasn’t incorrect in his initial information, he just missed the 180 days.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #841 on: March 05, 2018, 05:21:14 AM »
No, a teacher doesn't need to know idioms to be a good teacher.  When's the last time you said "it's raining cats and dogs".   Not sure why you even brought it up.  Slang and idioms are very localized and specific.  They can be for sports, music, theatre, finance...anything.

Cryptocurrency and Bitcoin is a hot topic these days.  Block chain, private key, digital wallet are all part of the lexicon.  What language learners need is proper definitions for terminology.  Not random words that have no intrinsic meaning.

I disagree, and I say this as someone who lives with a non native speaker, to whom I had to explain idioms he heard. Some are similar in Russian or Ukrainian, but not identical. Those he usually understood innately.

Offline msmob

« Reply #842 on: March 05, 2018, 05:24:05 AM »
No, a teacher doesn't need to know idioms to be a good teacher.

Disagree - I get asked the origin of UK English expressions - by Russians hoping to understand everday idioms that we use

When's the last time you said "it's raining cats and dogs". 

Less than 24 hours ago - I realise the question was not addressed to me - but, you know - I'm just pointing out you're - once more - swinging wildly - rather than accepting this is another argument you're losing

Not sure why you even brought it up.  Slang and idioms are very localized and specific.  They can be for sports, music, theatre, finance...anything.

Raining cats and dogs is used in EVERYDAY UK / Irish  English - esp. with our climate ;) The Russians have an equivalent

What students need is a person skilled enough and willing to offer the alternatives used in UK / US (?) English ..
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 05:37:51 AM by msmob »

Offline msmob

« Reply #843 on: March 05, 2018, 05:27:16 AM »
He wasn’t incorrect in his initial information, he just missed the 180 days.

He has also spoken of Visa lengths that don't exist for us in Britain / Ireland and inferred the 'illegality' of using agents .... now compounded with his 'reasoning' by the Russians for the differences - which were bollox, too !

Offline msmob

« Reply #844 on: March 05, 2018, 05:34:13 AM »
Look up the meaning of "petulant"... as usual you got it wrong. I was being brutally honest. 

Thanks, I'm well aware of the meaning and see your wish to obfuscate. Your discussing Trench's appearance was just an attempt at an 'insult' - and added nothing to the debate as to his 'theories' - PETULANT   

Some members here have alerted me to Trench's identity on certain public websites.  And the info corresponded to the city that Trench says he is from.  So if that's true then I have seen his photos.  I will say it was an unsolicted message from a member.  I don't care who Trench is. 

So, on one hand you aren't interested - but you were 'interested' enough to discuss it on here, anyway ?  ( Do you know the definition of PRIVATE ?)

My take ?  I am NOT interested the lives of those who are my 'internet opponents' ... 

I've never heard Trench talk before but going by what he writes I can see how people get turned off by it.  Certainly most people here do.

Frankly, I still don't know if he writes as he does for a rise - or if he really is a misogynist

Offline Sting23

• Banned Member
« Reply #845 on: March 05, 2018, 05:38:38 AM »

You spoke of 'illegality' re using an agent to get a work permit ? So, is it 'illegal' to get an invite from a  firm in Russia - that you've never heard of to get a Biz visa - or the same re a hotel voucher - for a RU tourist visa ?

No - that is not the criteria Russia sets to decide VISAs - the UK / IRL are ( currently)  EU member states  - Ireland is not a Commonwealth member - this is 101 stuff - WHY do you continually post SO daft ?

I make NO apology for using English - as spoken by a Brit / Irish person in everyday life.  Your 'English' is a 'dumbed down' version used by immigrants who spelt English phonetically ;)

This is just another example of your inattentiveness and don't worry - my 'feelinz' aren't hurt by your 'disinterest' ... 

It's already clear that you have no wish to learn, your ability to post misleading info and need to 'hit back' when your (incorrect) 'info' is busted / questioned ;)

Again, you aren't even reading clearly what I wrote.  To "buy" a work visa invite for $1000 or more is possible but you are getting it from a 3rd party company not the school or organization you would be working for.  This is technically illegal but since it's Russia anything goes.
I know so many Americans working there on a 3 year "tourist" visa.  Again not the purpose of the visa but hey why not.

The Russian visas issued to the UK and Canadian citizens are virtually the same, I checked. 

Which immigrants are you referring to?  Didn't the British invade Canada to try and set up their colonial empire back in the day.  You must be talking about your great great great great grandfather then. 

Now American English is the defacto standard for ESL learners around the world.  You tell some guy in China you want some trousers, a jumper and a pack of crisps and they'll be looking at you sideways.  You tell a Russian guy you want a "fag" and he'll straight up punch you.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #846 on: March 05, 2018, 05:41:24 AM »
In the school systems in Russia  and Ukraine, British English is the standard.

Offline Sting23

• Banned Member
« Reply #847 on: March 05, 2018, 05:47:15 AM »

So, on one hand you aren't interested - but you were 'interested' enough to discuss it on here, anyway ?  ( Do you know the definition of PRIVATE ?)

My take ?  I am NOT interested the lives of those who are my 'internet opponents' ... 

Check this thread earlier.  Some other member posted Trench's real name, VK profile, city where he lives and photo.  None of this info was taken down.  It is still up as of right now and Trench hasn't complained.  So either he doesn't care if people know his identity or it's not really him. 

Anyways for a guy who has a wife and kids you sure seem to have alot of time to reply to every single post and stir up things.  Shouldn't you be spending more time with them? Life's short man.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #848 on: March 05, 2018, 05:49:04 AM »
He doesn’t have a wife, but a current partner and his kids are grown and on their own.

Offline msmob

« Reply #849 on: March 05, 2018, 05:58:09 AM »
Again, you aren't even reading clearly what I wrote.  To "buy" a work visa invite for $1000 or more is possible but you are getting it from a 3rd party company not the school or organization you would be working for.  This is technically illegal but since it's Russia anything goes.
I know so many Americans working there on a 3 year "tourist" visa.  Again not the purpose of the visa but hey why not.

The irony of WHO is actually failing to read is clearly lost on you ..  It is noted you dodged my point re the purchase of invitations to enable the provisioning of work / biz/ tourist visas ...

The Russian visas issued to the UK and Canadian citizens are virtually the same, I checked. 

NO - they are not .... and it's OK - I'm sure you realise ( NOW ) that you've been talking out of your arse ( as opposed to 'ass' about how Russia decides the Visa criteria - that commonwealth membership is NOT a criteria  :)

Which immigrants are you referring to?  Didn't the British invade Canada to try and set up their colonial empire back in the day.  You must be talking about your great great great great grandfather then. 

I'm referring to the 'dumbing down' and phonetic spelling that made learning your versions of 'English' easier  - it's not like UK / IRL figure highly in your immigrants, by nationality ( UK currently 7th) - your 'English' is heavily influenced by your southern neighboUr

Now American English is the defacto standard for ESL learners around the world.  You tell some guy in China you want some trousers, a jumper and a pack of crisps and they'll be looking at you sideways.  You tell a Russian guy you want a "fag" and he'll straight up punch you.

This is not my field of expertise - but I can tell you that my RU wife learnt UK English - five years ago and that Russians at my friends lang school in Sochi study both and are made aware of the differences - lest confusion arises

http://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/quick-grammar/british-english-and-american-english

In the meantime Fag - as in cigarette :

http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/290786/origin-of-fag-meaning-a-cigarette-in-british-english

Why would you guys speak of pants? ..as trousers - pants are what one might ( hopefully ) wear under trousers and a rubber?... erases mistakes and is bought in a stationary shop ( pens / ink etc., - not a shop that has paused / stopped )

Now I'm being factious

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541425
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 4005
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 7
Guests: 2426
Total: 2433

+-Recent Posts

Re: Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 11:54:55 PM

Re: Hard work -- How can I explain this to my Russian wife? by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 11:43:10 PM

Re: Teenage Sex- RW and their sons by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 11:11:53 PM

Re: international travel by krimster2
Yesterday at 08:36:08 PM

Re: Teenage Sex- RW and their sons by ML
Yesterday at 07:31:53 PM

Re: Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by ML
Yesterday at 07:21:37 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 06:56:07 PM

international travel by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 06:52:39 PM

Hard work -- How can I explain this to my Russian wife? by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 06:45:25 PM

Re: Hard work -- How can I explain this to my Russian wife? by krimster2
Yesterday at 06:37:55 PM