It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Beers in FSU  (Read 8900 times)

Offline Larry1

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Beers in FSU
« on: April 17, 2014, 06:05:26 PM »
For those of you who are beer drinkers, what are your favorite beers in FSU?

On my first trip to FSU I ordered a draft beer at a little restaurant in a small town in Belarus.  Actually, my girlfriend ordered it because I spoke almost no Russian at that time.  It was a dark beer, I think on tap. I liked it so I asked my girlfriend what it was.  She asked the waiter, who told her it was Baltika.  It wasn't until my next trip, or perhaps the trip after that, that I discovered that Baltika was a big brewer that made a number of different beers.  After talking it over with a friend of mine who is a member here and a beer lover I think that beer might have been Baltika No. 7.

I seldom drink beer but I really enjoy being able to order it and drink it on the beach in FSU.

Offline LAman

Re: Beers in FSU
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 06:10:56 PM »
Favorite beer..... gotta be a 'blonde'.... nothing darker :P
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 06:14:02 PM »
My overall favorite beer is by far Lvivsky 1712
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline cc3

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 07:23:07 PM »
ЧОРНЕ from Lviv.

Offline Chicagoguy

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 07:42:44 PM »
I have some Baltica No. 7 in my home. It is available about 5 miles from me. Also in those giant cans. Not sure how much is in them.
No. 9 is the high alcohol one to begin your morning for some  8)

Offline noelscot

• Commercial Member
  • Offering Ulan-Ude travel support
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 08:07:58 PM »
For those of you who are beer drinkers, what are your favorite beers in FSU?

On my first trip to FSU I ordered a draft beer at a little restaurant in a small town in Belarus.  Actually, my girlfriend ordered it because I spoke almost no Russian at that time.  It was a dark beer, I think on tap. I liked it so I asked my girlfriend what it was.  She asked the waiter, who told her it was Baltika.  It wasn't until my next trip, or perhaps the trip after that, that I discovered that Baltika was a big brewer that made a number of different beers.  After talking it over with a friend of mine who is a member here and a beer lover I think that beer might have been Baltika No. 7.

I seldom drink beer but I really enjoy being able to order it and drink it on the beach in FSU.

I never drank any beer when i was in Ukraine or Russia, but while in Ukraine I noted that Czech beers were highly lauded. I would recommend Greg's Beer Reviews and Master of Hoppets on You Tube, if you want to see some accurate reviews of beers, though.

“The sewage is up to our necks already — whatever you do, don’t make waves.”-Michael Haneke

Online Hammer2722

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 08:59:53 PM »
I never drank any beer when i was in Ukraine or Russia, but while in Ukraine I noted that Czech beers were highly lauded. I would recommend Greg's Beer Reviews and Master of Hoppets on You Tube, if you want to see some accurate reviews of beers, though.

Czech beers are some of the best I've tasted. My girlfriend loves the Czech pilsners best.

Offline Wayne

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 05:19:41 AM »
Most of the beers in Ukraine and Russia are better than in USA. Also, the alchol content could be up to 12%.

We went to a beer factory and had "live beer".

Offline Steamer

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 09:09:45 AM »
Any Baltika by far. Their porter and lager are my favorites.
Life ain't nothing but a poker game
And no two hands are quite the same
But I never saw a winner that didn't bet

Offline LAman

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 09:54:20 AM »
Even in Mexico you find Baltika!!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 10:00:25 AM by LAman »
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 10:05:32 AM »
LOL.

...and I would bet that if you ask the wife-hunters in the Philippines, their favorite beer will likely be San Miguel; or those chasing tails in Thailand, they'll tell you it's Singha; or those chasing Vietnamese women, it's very likely Halida...all with respective stories to tell.

:rolleyes:

Lather, rinse, repeat.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 10:23:52 AM »
LOL.

...and I would bet that if you ask the wife-hunters in the Philippines, their favorite beer will likely be San Miguel; or those chasing tails in Thailand, they'll tell you it's Singha; or those chasing Vietnamese women, it's very likely Halida...all with respective stories to tell.

:rolleyes:

Lather, rinse, repeat.

It sounds like you know those scenes well! When I was wife hunting my prey used to like "Peva Pete" I think it means beer 5
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 10:32:23 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Misha

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 10:55:47 AM »
Most of the beers in Ukraine and Russia are better than in USA.

Tastes vary, of course, but you underestimate good American beer. By good, I don't mean the Miller Light (or do they spell it Lite now), but the excellent beer brewed in the pubs and restaurants. Travelled to the Oregon coast and had some exceptional beer at the Pelican Pub and Brewery. Then, had a great beer at another small pub and brewery in northeastern Oregon. I would say that the best American beer is world class, and one of my favorite beers is the oyster stout I bought when in Philadelphia.

As for Russian beer, I would say that I have yet to find anything exceptional. Some of the best bottled stuff is good, but nothing to write home about...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 11:27:23 AM by Misha »

Online Hammer2722

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 11:04:29 AM »

Tastes vary, of course, but you underestimate good American beer. By good, I don't mean the Miller Light (or do they spell it Lite now), but the excellent beer brewed in the pubs and restaurants. Travelled to the Oregon coast and had some exceptional beer at the Pelican Pub and Brewery. Then, had a great beer at another small pub and brewery in northeaster Oregon. I would say that the best American beer is world class, and one of my favorite beers is the oyster stout I bought when in Philadelphia.

As for Russian beer, I would say that I have yet to find anything exceptional. Some of the best bottled stuff is good, but nothing to write home about...

I agree. Some of the microbrews made up here in the Pacific Northwest are exceptional!

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 11:09:09 AM »

What about the stuff that comes in 2 liter plastic bottles you can buy at rock concerts there? I remember Russians holding these bottles up over their head and swaying back and forth. Usually they were singing off key with the band. They appeared to be happy.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2014, 11:14:26 AM »

It sounds like you know those scenes well! When I was wife hunting my prey used to like "Peva Pete" I think it means beer 5

I love different cultural food. I love Pho and a lot of Thai food. My wife loves Filipino food. She even cooks a few dishes at home. If you ask her what her favorite appetizer is, she'll tell you 'Chicharon Bulaklak'.

So everytime we eat out in such places, we usually enjoy 'their' beers. Somehow it would seem strange to me to have sushi and drink Negra Modelo.
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline Misha

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2014, 11:30:00 AM »
What about the stuff that comes in 2 liter plastic bottles you can buy at rock concerts there? I remember Russians holding these bottles up over their head and swaying back and forth. Usually they were singing off key with the band. They appeared to be happy.

Ranges from godawful to close to almost decent. Would I drink it if I were in the middle of that concert and it was the only beer on sale? Sure, why not. Would I choose it in preference to pretty much any other good beer if given the choice? Of course not.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2014, 11:53:09 AM »

Ranges from godawful to close to almost decent. Would I drink it if I were in the middle of that concert and it was the only beer on sale? Sure, why not. Would I choose it in preference to pretty much any other good beer if given the choice? Of course not.

I've wondered what the alcohol percentage is? I once seen a police officer walking down the street drinking a bottle of beer. I seen 13-14 kids buying beer at the corner store. Vodka 24 hours a day at the local kiosk. Things are sure different there.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2014, 11:56:14 AM »
I love different cultural food. I love Pho and a lot of Thai food. My wife loves Filipino food. She even cooks a few dishes at home. If you ask her what her favorite appetizer is, she'll tell you 'Chicharon Bulaklak'.

So everytime we eat out in such places, we usually enjoy 'their' beers. Somehow it would seem strange to me to have sushi and drink Negra Modelo.

You and the Mrs. are a international couple for sure. I'm pretty boring. I usually order diet Coke.

Offline noelscot

• Commercial Member
  • Offering Ulan-Ude travel support
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2014, 01:59:29 PM »

Tastes vary, of course, but you underestimate good American beer. By good, I don't mean the Miller Light (or do they spell it Lite now), but the excellent beer brewed in the pubs and restaurants. Travelled to the Oregon coast and had some exceptional beer at the Pelican Pub and Brewery. Then, had a great beer at another small pub and brewery in northeastern Oregon. I would say that the best American beer is world class, and one of my favorite beers is the oyster stout I bought when in Philadelphia.

This is so true. There has been a beer renaissance in America, and not many can see through their politics and admit it. So a lot of the blanket statements about American beer being of low quality conflict with the online reviews of in-the-know Europeans, like Master of Hoppetts, etc.

The beer being raved about in this video is from Russian River Brewery, a Californian brewery:

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 02:01:23 PM by noelscot »
“The sewage is up to our necks already — whatever you do, don’t make waves.”-Michael Haneke

Offline Barnes

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2014, 08:34:04 AM »
I read this post (drank some too) in complete and nothing above I dispute. But Zlaty Bazant comes back to haunt me.

Warm or cold it's the premier pivo I experienced first trip, and the lager version (svelte) is good, the dark (cerne) is even better. About 20 Kilometers from the western side of Russia it was very popular, that might have been an influence. I came home thinking it was Belarusian.

It's not though. Slovak and you can get 500ml servings pretty much everywhere in the FSU. I found it in Siberia also. The link looks like the one I first drank in Mogilev state:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/zlaty-bazant-12-golden-pheasant/2549/

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2014, 04:03:13 PM »
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2014, 04:23:28 PM »
I read this post (drank some too) in complete and nothing above I dispute. But Zlaty Bazant comes back to haunt me....

ahoj...

My all-time favorite. Nothing comes close with me despite me not being a big time drinker...

But I'll drink a cold Zlaty anytime. That 'high' alcohol content can pack a punch with me. Pilsner is right up there but when it comes to beer, it's Zlaty with me as Tequila for the hard stuff.

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2014, 08:16:40 PM »
I don't know about FSU beers, but I thought this story in our main newspaper today was very timely:

Russian's long trek to NZ for a beer

A Russian beer enthusiast who spoke barely any English flew tens of thousands of kilometres to buy two personal brewing machines in New Zealand and used Google Translate to broker the deal.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11241443

Timor Israilov - the next east Russian oligarch?

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2014, 06:55:11 PM »
Pretty soon, you could just snort a beer....

Last week, the US Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau approved Palcohol, a powdered alcohol product that you can either use to turn water into a presumably not-that-delicious marg or to snort if you don’t care too much about your brain cells.
It’s the first time a powdered alcohol product has been approved for sale in the US, but not the first time someone has devised one, and such products have been available in parts of Europe for a few years now. Now you may be wondering, as I was, how the heck do you go about powdering alcohol?

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the-science-behind-powdered-alcohol-the-latest-way-to-get-drunk?trk_source=popular
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 2257
Total: 2268

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM