It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Trench's Questions and Philosophies  (Read 458873 times)

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Re: Trench's Questions and Philosophies
« Reply #175 on: July 28, 2017, 09:33:30 PM »
Hardly 'slipping' - I clearly don't move in the company who classify others in such a derogatory fashion - of that I'm proud - if that's 'ignorance' ;) !

There are many, MANY word in the English language which I do not use - and certainly many of those are derogatory.  However, that doesn't mean I haven't heard, or heard of, them.

As for "scroats/scrotes," I would hazard a guess that it is derived from "scrotum," and may therefore (at least originally) have been referring to someone's balls (or lack thereof).

Offline msmob

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #176 on: July 28, 2017, 10:19:12 PM »

As for "scroats/scrotes," I would hazard a guess that it is derived from "scrotum," and may therefore (at least originally) have been referring to someone's balls (or lack thereof).

Think it may be time for Sandro, but I seem to remember some Latin 'thief' connection ?

Offline SANDRO43

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #177 on: July 29, 2017, 06:43:53 AM »
The Oxford Dictionary says:
Scrote
British informal: A contemptible person.
Origin: 1970s: from scrotum.

The Latin word for thief is fur, furis hence the Italian furto (theft).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #178 on: July 30, 2017, 02:18:22 PM »
As I've learned more of the language, slang ,and social nuances ,over the years,  I can often tell in 5 minutes where a new immigrant here is from socially. (And likely geographically)
 You are going to a economically depressed area in comparison to your own.
 In your own country are there not areas you'd be less likely to date from because despite *exceptions*
The general culture of the area has people being a bit more rude and crude than you'd enjoy living with?
(Here it occurs in both country and city settings depending on ones own background how comfortable you area with it.)

This subject ,because its uncomfortable, is always glossed over on here.
 Most men here wouldn't go to a rough inner city area to date but the fsu is fine.if they had half an understanding of just slang snd phrases used, a huge percent of women they meet would likely turn them off in 15 minutes of conversation.
  I see newly married couples here at times where if he understood what she says just in jest in  Russian his jaw would be on the floor and be very uncomfortable.
Obviously in time they'll know each other better and hopefully *love conquers all* will ring true.
  Despite *education* a lot of the fsu is pretty rough and tumble, downright crude. Many men date in areas of thst culture they wouldn't at home,simple because they can't tell the difference there. They havnt lived there long enough to understand the differences of what someone's background is.That can (yes not always ) greatly effect the person's outlook on life and compatibility.That is likely the single biggest reason men continually run into users there. They are dating in a social circle where, if in their in country ,they would certainly find a high percentage of users and that mentality as well.

Ive seen this since 97, lol but its much more clearly visable now .

The old adage of a girl from  poor area  with a heart of gold exists for sure,but the odds are if she was raised in a culture of a *bucket if crabs* she will instead have that life outlook.it's how she was raised, what's socially acceptable to her parents and peers etc etc.

I'm from a poor farm background,think hillbilly redneck and yet a great deal.of Russian culture can truly shock me lol.
So when I see urban professionals from a while color background dating from  the mires and dregs of fsu culture while routinely avoiding  Chicago's south side.. or the trailer parks in small farm towns it makes me shake my head.
Yes they could find more likely comparable segments of fsu society,but the big picture is a lot more of the place is rougher than is assumed by someone not living there.

Hmm.

Soviets are all from the same class - the working class.  The educated classes were mostly destroyed, and those that weren't were persecuted and lived in poverty.  So, most everyone now is from that "working class".

I haven't noticed much difference in how members of the former working class speak.  I do recall watching a documentary on Galina Brezhnev's life, and she was exceptionally vulgar, using language only sailors would use.

I think, if one wants a sort of "fast and loose" rule to delineate potential partners, look at whether a woman wants a family life. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 02:21:56 PM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline msmob

« Reply #179 on: July 30, 2017, 06:59:22 PM »
The Oxford Dictionary says:
The Latin word for thief is fur, furis hence the Italian furto (theft).

Thank you

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #180 on: August 01, 2017, 04:01:28 AM »

Hmm.

Soviets are all from the same class - the working class.  The educated classes were mostly destroyed, and those that weren't were persecuted and lived in poverty.  So, most everyone now is from that "working class".

I haven't noticed much difference in how members of the former working class speak.  I do recall watching a documentary on Galina Brezhnev's life, and she was exceptionally vulgar, using language only sailors would use.

I think, if one wants a sort of "fast and loose" rule to delineate potential partners, look at whether a woman wants a family life.

That's interesting stuff Boethius. I used to study History a fair bit back in the day and twentieth century history was one of my favourite periods. Particularly on Nazi Germany, Soviet Russia, etc. So it is interesting to hear you that most everyone is still essentially working class even if they are have gained some wealth, decent job, etc. Would stand to reason I guess, but I wondered if people there had formed a new middle or upper class over time with associated change in social etiquette.

So that would mean your essentially working class to then Beothius? ;D Despite your well paid job.

So when you refer to certain sections of society using the 'Real Man' term does that not apply to most all Ukrainians/Russians since they are all working class? or perhaps just those that live in the concrete tenement blocks?

Which is where my girl comes from the concrete tenement blocks. When she speaks in English at least she is not at all vulgar, I don't get the impression she normally would be but who knows maybe when speaking Russian/in her home neighbourhood. If anything when with her she seems more fussy than I about etiquette, taking shoes off when walking inside apartment/hotel, personal grooming (I do more of this when with her than usual of course ;) )     
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Boethius

« Reply #181 on: August 01, 2017, 08:26:08 AM »
Working class=anyone who was not part of the middle class or nobility before the Revolution.  It doesn't have the same meaning as in the West.  It is also a mentality.

I have seen their new Soviet "elite", who became the "elite" of post Soviet society, and most of them are boors when it comes to social manners.

Every Soviet takes their shoes off when they enter a home.  I think it's a throwback to coming from rural backgrounds.  Most people do so where I live as well.  Most FSU individuals, other than drunkards, are well groomed.  In school every morning, their ears and nails were inspected, as was the cleanliness of their school uniforms.

The "real man" you heard is only used for manipulation.  Or, as the better half would say, "by sluts and prostitutes".

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #182 on: August 01, 2017, 09:59:53 AM »
The "real man" you heard is only used for manipulation.  Or, as the better half would say, "by sluts and prostitutes".

I remember the real man jokes of the 1970's and 1980's

How many real men does it take to change a lightbulb?
None, real men aren't afraid of the dark.

What does a real man do to satisfy a woman during sex?
Nothing real men don't care.
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline Boethius

« Reply #183 on: August 01, 2017, 07:56:07 PM »
I don't remember those.  I've explained, use of the term has a completely different meaning in Russian.  When it is used as "a real man would buy me XXX/show up when I demand it, notwithstanding your own schedule/etc.", it's manipulation.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 08:27:09 PM by Boethius »

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #184 on: August 01, 2017, 09:45:17 PM »
I don't remember those.  I've explained, use of the term has a completely different meaning in Russian.  When it is used as "a real man would buy me XXX/show up when I demand it, notwithstanding your own schedule/etc.", it's manipulation.

Hmmnn, that reminds me last year the second girl I met said that 'a real man would travel to meet her in her home city of Nikolaev' Which I did. Interesting to see the place but travelling out to these places takes time and effort. Visiting girls home city is no doubt best but should have gone with adequate back up plan and time allowance if it did not work out, which it did not - there was just no chemistry there. She seemed straight up enough, even used public transport to get home after date.

I can see it can be used for manipulation Boethius but is it necessarily always meant in a bad deceitful way or just sometimes a playful way, just to try and win an argument with?
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Boethius

« Reply #185 on: August 01, 2017, 09:52:59 PM »
I'm basing this on:

a)  being a woman; and
b)  knowing the culture.

It's not something said in sincerity, unless as I described earlier (ETA, here  http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=22008.msg464506#msg464506 ).

How it was used with you was to get you to jump through hoops.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 10:02:35 PM by Boethius »

Offline BillyB

« Reply #186 on: August 01, 2017, 09:56:15 PM »
It doesn't take much to Google "real man", a website name and look at the profiles to see how today's FSU women define "Real Man". The profiles at Bride.ru are written by the women in the profiles, not some agency employee. Yes, I can agree some women use the term to get their way from men but most women define it as something good. I could list many more profiles but I don't have the time. People here can do their own homework. We don't need to speculate anymore.

http://bride.ru/ph/htcgi/ladies/931/931823P1.html

http://bride.ru/ph/htcgi/ladies/1014/1014943P1.html

http://bride.ru/ph/htcgi/ladies/975/975909P1.html

http://bride.ru/ph/htcgi/ladies/930/930793P7.html
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Jumper

« Reply #187 on: August 01, 2017, 10:19:35 PM »
There are several levels of working class in the west.
Some you'd be comfortable with beo, some you likely wouldn't.

The same is true in the fsu.
Yes I understand the meaning of the term from soviet times and before, I was
pointing out there is a level of pretty rough characters that many westerners can relate to in  their culture .
It's areas they generally wouldn't go much less date.
Good luck with the typical western guy with zero language skills, and no idea of slang to discern that in their interview /date pattern many use.
Heck that very method of lpoking attracts from the shady crowd mostly to begin with.

I'm not knocking anyone,or any social level, I just shake me head at where and whom guys will date there,when no way would they do so at home.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #188 on: August 01, 2017, 10:21:05 PM »
But, but, but, LOOK at her.

I witnessed the "elite" licking plates at dinner parties I was compelled to attend.  The better half, whose grandmother used to put books under his arms when he was eating, to teach him how far your elbows can protrude when dining, was appalled, but not surprised. 

I think one should look at attitudes.  If the person has a good heart, the rest can be learned.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 10:27:20 PM by Boethius »

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #189 on: August 02, 2017, 12:11:29 AM »
But, but, but, LOOK at her.

I witnessed the "elite" licking plates at dinner parties I was compelled to attend.  The better half, whose grandmother used to put books under his arms when he was eating, to teach him how far your elbows can protrude when dining, was appalled, but not surprised. 

I think one should look at attitudes.  If the person has a good heart, the rest can be learned.

Well she certainly never licked her plate, her manners seemed pretty good. Tough of course she rarely finished a meal in its entirety but then neither did I that much to actually get to the bottom of the plate to lick, lol. I of course would never do this. In fact she virtually left one meal she ordered that kind of peed me off a bit as it was just wasting my money needlessly.

Plus the name of this topic has changed to about me, I don't know why? :-\

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #190 on: August 02, 2017, 12:17:02 AM »
It doesn't take much to Google "real man", a website name and look at the profiles to see how today's FSU women define "Real Man". The profiles at Bride.ru are written by the women in the profiles, not some agency employee. Yes, I can agree some women use the term to get their way from men but most women define it as something good. I could list many more profiles but I don't have the time. People here can do their own homework. We don't need to speculate anymore.

http://bride.ru/ph/htcgi/ladies/931/931823P1.html

http://bride.ru/ph/htcgi/ladies/1014/1014943P1.html

http://bride.ru/ph/htcgi/ladies/975/975909P1.html

http://bride.ru/ph/htcgi/ladies/930/930793P7.html

I agree, I saw a fair few profile on Mamba a while back where girl said she wanted a 'Real Man' - I was curious as to what this meant back then so brought it up on her. Someone suggested they wanted a man that could provide whatever for them - at the extreme a Mafia type of guy - i.e it dint matter how he got the money so long as he got it.

I don't doubt you Boethius when you say it has a lot to do with manipulation. Though I wonder why girl on dating site would put it as if guy knew that was what it was about it would instantly rule her out before he even got to know her.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #191 on: August 02, 2017, 01:12:41 AM »
Because the way they are using it in profiles is different.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #192 on: August 02, 2017, 10:36:40 AM »
Because the way they are using it in profiles is different.

How is it different?

Offline Boethius

« Reply #193 on: August 02, 2017, 11:35:32 AM »
What the ads likely refer to is a man of action.  Not a walking wallet.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #194 on: August 02, 2017, 12:19:55 PM »
What the ads likely refer to is a man of action.  Not a walking wallet.

Oh I see, that's kind of what I thought when I first raised it but was not sure. I saw on a you tube video that this Russian women said that FSW often want a 'man on a mission' that is actively going out to build a better life than a guy that just does the usual stint and job done. That is fine by me as I kind of fit the man on a mission description :D. Thanks I can see now the difference between the two of how it is used. To be honest though I was quite young I'm sure it used to be used a little like that here in the west back in the 80s maybe US Hilly wood films more so, i.E 1980s macho culture. Today though I don't think anyone western person would use it.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #195 on: August 02, 2017, 06:00:38 PM »

Trench, the definition of a real man in the FSU is a good thing. It's a good thing if a lady labels you a real man. Because the definition of a real man is a good thing, insincere women use it to manipulate their men. They may say "a real man would take his woman to a 5 star restaurant on a first date". Some men fail to correct those ladies and end up taking them to vacations, 5 star restaurants and shopping sprees. Even if you had a woman or read about women using the term real man to manipulate men or you, don't believe those insincere women get to define "real man".
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Jumper

« Reply #196 on: August 02, 2017, 07:28:45 PM »
Actions mean everything,  words mean very little.
More substance,less talk.
When they are saying real man in some profile (if they indeed wrote it)its a matter of character, integrity, and doing what a man says he will do.
Not much different than a general  western diffinition of the term?

If used to manipulate, it's pretty pathetic behaviour to any *cough* real man.
As a *real woman* wouldn't dream of doing such ;)

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #197 on: August 03, 2017, 05:34:12 AM »
Trench, the definition of a real man in the FSU is a good thing. It's a good thing if a lady labels you a real man. Because the definition of a real man is a good thing, insincere women use it to manipulate their men. They may say "a real man would take his woman to a 5 star restaurant on a first date". Some men fail to correct those ladies and end up taking them to vacations, 5 star restaurants and shopping sprees. Even if you had a woman or read about women using the term real man to manipulate men or you, don't believe those insincere women get to define "real man".

Got you there Billy, I think your bang on. If she calls you a real man its good, if she questions that your a real man its bad.

And yes your again right those women are better corrected than satisfying whet they want. The relationship actually seems to suffer if you go along with what they want anyway. Worst case scenario there is not a real relationship there at all and better off not racking up the expenses bill as there won't be a real relationship after expenses have been racked up either. Just the expenses bill will remain not the girl (unless she holds on hoping for more).

That is what I have learned from it is that it is a pointless endevour do it. Either not give into girl that is trying to manipulate or get shot of her. Many girls are into clothes shopping but even trying to be reasonable or modest in satisfying girl does not seem to help in any way, they always expect more and once you begin she won't let up. I've learned this now and plan on no repeat. I think the girl I'm with is into me but she just seems to have this affliction to try and manipulate me when it comes to clothes shopping. Better to work out a way she can buy with her own money once together I'm thinking.

Offline msmob

« Reply #198 on: August 03, 2017, 05:57:16 AM »
Got you there Billy, I think your bang on. If she calls you a real man its good, if she questions that your a real man its bad.

Within reason ... which when 'extreme' becomes  manipulation

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #199 on: August 03, 2017, 06:22:35 AM »
Within reason ... which when 'extreme' becomes  manipulation

You mean if she questions you are a real mean, a little mild suggestion that 'a real man...' but if she takes it too heavy on it then its manipulation?

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540998
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1970
Total: 1980

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM