It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: going to Zaporozhye  (Read 6174 times)

Offline Patrocle70

going to Zaporozhye
« on: November 29, 2009, 02:37:53 AM »
Hello or Privet !

For the first time, I plan to dare myself outside Kiev. I would like to visit a Lady in Zaporozhye.

I would like to go there by plane. Do you know if it is possible and how to buy a ticket from abroad ?

I could not find a choice in the site of Ukraine International.

On top of this, if I do it  she is going to be the "101" Lady that I will meet in five years.
It is like that it is written in my genes, I won't meet my special one there.
May be it is simply my fate. I would like to know if I am the only desperate guy not so young anymore in this site.

The good point is that now I started to learn Russian and by itself it is a motivation to travel...

Good luck to those who starts, but the Grahal might be far away....

Offline Cautious

Re: going to Zaporozhye
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 02:49:19 AM »
I would like to go there by plane. Do you know if it is possible and how to buy a ticket from abroad ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaporizhia_International_Airport

Most domestic air carriers sell their flights in Ukraine only.These tickets can be booked with Unipress.

Good luck!  ;D

Edit to add:
The neighbouring city of Dnipropetrovsk also has an airport with more frequent international flights.

From Wikipedia again:
The city is served by an Dnipropetrovsk International Airport (IATA: DNK) and is connected to other European cities with daily flights.

Maybe this would be a better option for you?

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 03:08:42 AM by Cautious »

Offline Gylden

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 03:43:38 AM »

Offline docetae

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 04:18:48 AM »
Hello or Privet !

For the first time, I plan to dare myself outside Kiev. I would like to visit a Lady in Zaporozhye.

I could not find a choice in the site of Ukraine International.

On top of this, if I do it  she is going to be the "101" Lady that I will meet in five years.
It is like that it is written in my genes, I won't meet my special one there.
May be it is simply my fate. I would like to know if I am the only desperate guy not so young anymore in this site.

The good point is that now I started to learn Russian and by itself it is a motivation to travel...

Good luck to those who starts, but the Grahal might be far away....

Airport is far from city and be careful at the cost of taxi from it... the more simple is really to go by train overnight (buy a ticket for 1class). This is comfortable and you will arrive directly in the city. My wife is born and has all her family in Zaparojje, so feel free to ask the question, I went several times there.
Experience is the name everyone gives to their mistakes Oscar Wilde

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 07:12:03 AM »

For the first time, I plan to dare myself outside Kiev.....
On top of this, if I do it  she is going to be the "101" Lady that I will meet in five years.... I would like to know if I am the only desperate guy not so young anymore in this site.

There are a few other men who 'looked' for a long time.  Turboguy eventually found his 'One.'  Others still look.

The fact that you never left Kiev says something.  IMO a man needs to have a sense of adventure to take this venture through marriage.  Now you are learning Russian and taking steps to expand your travels.  Positive steps.

Anyway, Zaporozhye is not Kiev.  The city is a dismal place in my opinion.  Thus, you and your woman will have little to do other than get to know each other.  That could be good.

BTW, did you import a few UW into Kiev or did you meet only Kiev women?  How do you contact UW and how do you decide whom to meet?

BTW II, Zap has an airport.  Not much of one.  Very few flights to anywhere.  Once I flew from there to Turkey on a charter.  If you fly, your UW should meet you.  Staying in a flat?

Offline Gylden

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 07:51:13 AM »
Also if you can't get the aerosvit site to work try skyscanner.no and set the language to english and currency to dollars on the top right of the page.

:)

Offline Patrocle70

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 09:08:53 AM »
First , thanks for your answers it is nice to feel some support. I am going to look at the information you gave me.

Now to answer your questions. In my long quest, I didn't "end up" right away in Kiev. It is rather the opposite. I saw St Petersburg and Moscow first. Then I wanted to discover the heart of the ancient Russia. Russian friends told me that Kiev was a nice city. I went there and I was charmed by the city.

Why I didn't go outside ? Simply because so far, I couldn't travel for professional reasons more than four days and I preferred to spend them in Kiev. Going there was not only for the Ladies but for the city. I spent long hours so far to walk alone for example.

I also understood something inside me. I would not be able to go, for example to Siberia in a city for one Lady. Spend days there and decide myself (sure her opinion is more than important). It is not too difficult as I live in Europe to go to Kiev several times in year and build an ersatz of relationship. This is my way.

About meeting and "selection", I tried every means: dating site, free dating site and agency. I shall say that the less conclusive way was the agency. i unfortunately build up expectations on it.

I would like to point one more time that I met really nice Ladies. Only a few of them and this is a very tiny proportion were scammers or millionaire hunting..
But as I am not millionaire just a very standard middle class man, not really hard to divert them. Some of the ladies are really cautious, one of them told me again recently that a man came to her city and after three hours of meeting told her that there would be a night exam planned for the day !

Concerning the Lady in Zaporozhye, I am little bit surprised that I have to go to this site to seek information. I asked her to help me to get information. How to go to her city, tickets price... It is again an expectation and a communication story.

Wishing you all a good Sunday :)

Offline Mars

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 09:09:55 AM »
Be aware that on domestic flights within Ukraine, your baggage fees will skyrocket.  If on International flights from USA to Kyiv, Kharkov, Odesa, Simferopol, Dnipro, etc. the baggage may be free or at nominal cost.  But not so if you take a connecting domestic flight.
Mars man looking for Venus woman.

Offline Patrocle70

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 01:20:32 PM »
hello again,

you mean that the "usual" free 20 kg allowance does not exist for domestic flights ?

Cheers ! 

Offline facetrock

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 12:54:42 AM »
Try this. When you get to Borispol and are through customs, walk out the building and take a left. The domestic flight terminal is only a short walk. You cant miss it. I have found you get alot better price if you just walk in and buy a ticket. It would cost me anywhere from 50 to 100 dollars to fly to Dnep, thats right next to Zap. Its been a few years since I have been there so prices may have risen. Easy to do and you have a ticket in hand and dont have to worry about a screwed up reservation. I have also flown from Zap to Turkey on a charter like Gator. Hope they repaved the runway in Zap. I swore to God the wheels were going to fly off when we landed.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 01:06:27 AM by facetrock »

Offline Patrocle70

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 02:58:08 AM »
Hello,

Thanks for the information. I couldn't find if aerosvit operates direct flights from Kiev to Zaporozhye. Apparently Motor Sich does it, it could be ok.

Any recommandation about a decent and warm soviet hotel in the city ?

On top of that, the Lady that I plan to visit told me once that she is a kind of event organiser ( I believe that she is a serious girl) but she didn't help me to process information. It shows me that expectations on both sides are really different. This trip might be another waste. I guess that to visit this city, Spring or Summer are better if I get the orientation " at least, for the first I would have seen something different than Kiev ". I am a bit puzzled this time.

Cheers.

Offline Mars

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 09:30:04 AM »
It would cost me anywhere from 50 to 100 dollars to fly to Dnep, thats right next to Zap.

Yes, but I paid $345 for baggage alone on a flight within Ukraine.  That was just for my normal two checked bags which were each a hair less than 20 kg.  These same two bags always fly for free on International flights.
Mars man looking for Venus woman.

Offline Ade

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 09:56:50 AM »
Yes, but I paid $345 for baggage alone on a flight within Ukraine.  That was just for my normal two checked bags which were each a hair less than 20 kg.  These same two bags always fly for free on International flights.

It's quite normal on an economy ticket to be allowed only 20kg of checked luggage - a lot of airlines will then charge you 1% of a first class ticket to your destination for every kg above that although most will allow you a few kg above before they try to charge you. If you, as you say, had 2 20kg bags it's no surprise you had to pay so much.

I'm curious why a single man would need to travel with so much luggage? Seriously, I thought it was only women that travelled so heavily.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:06:02 AM by SeriouslyJaded »

Offline Jumper

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 10:01:03 AM »
mars -  flights within ukraine the weight limit can be less of course ,
( a lot of flights from kiev to dnepr would by small yak,, almost lear jet size)
and you'd need to pay the increase if over the allowance..
 it is a high rate.. i admit almost piracy.. (considering the typical $50 flight costs)
but what you paid is not normal for two regular sized luggage ,  by any means!!!!!!
you could simply buy a second ticket for 50$ to 90$?
while you're in ukriane-  i'd say work on the negotiating /bribe skills ,, with the counter people,
or with fellow travelers who may have had no luggage?  (pay someone , something, to take your bag as theirs,or even buy their complete ticket at that rate)
no Ukrainian would pay that crazy fee, they would find a *way around*! !:)
Another option-  something that heavy,to bring such a fee, can also be sent overnight by train as a less expensive option
 (and can be handled at the counter of the domestic terminal)

patrocle70-
As mentioned , the domestic terminal is right next to borispol, a quick walk.
There are many flights, a regularly daily schedules from Kiev to Dnepropetrovsk international airport,.
on several airlines,
search Tyrolean? aerosvit? ukraine air? etc
They are very inexpensive, but then you would need a car /taxi ,or bus to somewhat nearby Zap.

Also, there should be direct flights for you to Dnepropetrovsk? (no need to route thru kiev )
and then you'd just have the ride to zap to facilitate.

As docetea mentioned-
Also their is a nice train schedule from Kiev to Dnepro and Zap,
You can get a sleeper cabin/booth inexpensively on the *overnight train*..
I did this several times and was enjoyable trip.I don't have the URL or link at the moment,
but its not too far to the train station from borispol.

There are lots of options.

I'm a bit surprised your lady hasn't looked up some *in country*
 train and flight schedules for you.. or suggested accommodations such as advice on hotels or flats,  especially considering your stated her occupation is *event organizer*...

It's good to venture out from the capitol!,, but certainly Zap is nothing like Kiev.
 don't be afraid to visit nearby Dnepro.. or if it was summer , Crimea!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:13:17 AM by AJ »

Offline Gylden

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 10:03:32 AM »
Nice hats SJ!! 8)
I was recently to Ukraine and never paid anything for baggage, I am sure it just depends on the airline. Of course when I booked I paid for each bag but it was just copeka.

Offline Gylden

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 10:06:13 AM »
by the way and off the baggage bit. It cracked me up that they were using an M-6 as a push-back vehicle!! :D

Offline Ade

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 10:13:46 AM »
Nice hats SJ!! 8)

We did that photo last year for a Christmas card we sent to the family in the UK and Russia - went down very well, so well in fact that the MIL had that card up on display even when I visited in May. :D Check out http://www.moonpig.com - extremely cheap compared to Norway and they will post the cards anywhere or back to you.

Offline facetrock

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 01:54:27 PM »
 I think there are flights from Kiev to Zap. Your lady friend should be able to find out for you.

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 02:19:22 PM »

Any recommendation about a decent and warm soviet hotel in the city ?

I am pretty sure that where I stayed when I was there was the "Intourist Hotel Zaporozhye"  The rooms we had were beautiful but some of the guys were in older rooms.   Ours were freshly renovated.   I thought the hotel was excellent and you should be able to get a room for $ 89.00 a night.   I think we paid less as a group. 

Now if you want a thrill that will beat any roller coaster just make a left out of the hotel and find the winding bridge down that way.  Take a walk across it.  I never crossed a bridge that made me nervous before but that one bounces around about a foot every time a car passes.   There is a nice little park and museum a few miles out of town that makes a nice excursion.  The view out the hotel window reminds me of Pittsburgh in the 60's and 70's with smoke pouring out the factories.   

Offline Patrocle70

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2009, 03:56:17 AM »
Privet to everybody !

Thanks for the advice. I made a decision, I won't go to Zaporozhye.

It was not easy to make a decision and it is not that I was afraid to go there, thanks for the information that you gave me I had a clear idea of how to get to the city. I would like to go one day to Crimea with my special one, why not making a stop there.

I sent an email to my Lady explaining my puzzled feelings and it was left without an answer. I see that she connects to the site...
If from the beginning there is misunderstanding, meeting in real won't improve. This is what my experience say....

Still I will go to Kiev to challenge my russian :) I would like to stay in a flat and I am not looking for a private deal but I would like to go through a regular agency. I didn't see good comments on uarents ?

To those who will celebrate tomorrow St Nicolas, best wishes !!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541489
Total Topics: 20864
Most Online Today: 2204
Most Online Ever: 12701